• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The SBR official stance on Metaknight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
After months of debating, researching, and hard work, the SBR:B is finally done with discussing Metaknight. The community at large is very focused on Metaknight. Many conversations about Brawl end up drifting towards him and we know you guys want an answer. Should Metaknight be banned? Many people wait for the SBR's word on this subject, and that time has come.

We do not feel MK is a significant enough threat to be recommended by the SBR to be banned . The final tally of the vote (including votes designated from the public poll) was 34(Proban) - 41(Antiban), showing that while there is a significant portion of the Smash community that wants him banned, there is not enough support to reach the 2/3rds majority needed to reverse the status quo and have the SBR recommend the first character ever be banned in the Smash series, now spanning over a decade.

We encourage (as always) tournaments to experiment with rules, and this includes MK banned tournaments. No tournament should ever be ridiculed for trying something different or new, as this process of trial and error is what has created a great rule set in Melee (an evolution over 7 years) and is continuing to refine and enhance the rule set in Brawl. We hope that everyone appreciates that we are one community and that regardless of where someone stands on this issue their opinion should be respected and that a TO's right to create their own rule set (without public bickering or backlash) should be honored.

The Smash Back Room has been discussing Metaknight since the game came out. We have gone through several votes, many topics, many debates, and we are done. The SBR will not be voting on or touching this issue at all until at least this time next year, if ever again. We are well aware many people hold very strong opinions on this subject, but let's just say Metaknight has overstayed his welcome.

We would like to thank the 3,179 people that voted in the public poll and everyone that took the time to read both sides of the argument (http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=242903) to become better educated on probably the most polarizing issue in the Smash community since the items debate in 2002-2004.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Snap son am I the first?

I can't wait to see what you guys decided.

edit: **** internet dying, anyways it's good to see you guys came to a decision on this. Even though I was hoping for a meta knight ban personally I hold no hard feeling that he was not banned.

I just hope you guys are right and we don't face this issue again.

Gea

Smash Master
Boom I was so right. The public poll was kind of a joke, and once again SBR has strained its ties with the "public."

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
This was to be expected in all honesty...

But oh well, everyone needs to move on from this debate. :)

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Looking back at this whole debate now...

The only thing that really bothers me is the ignorance/selfishness of the elitist individuals that think the top of the metagame is the only thing that matters. This is a decision that affects the entire Smash community- not just the players that can consistently place in the money at regional/national tournaments, but also the players that fund those tourneys with their entry fees, which makes up a very, very large majority of the community.

That said, I hope anti-ban and pro-ban advocates alike can find the maturity to restrain themselves from stereotyping each other. After all, we're all after the same thing- a better community and a better game.

edit:
34(Proban) - 41(Antiban)

Wow, that's really close to a majority.

j0s3ph

Smash Apprentice
I think everyone knew this is what would end up happening. I think its right though. There will still be MK banned tourneys and it will be interesting to see if more of them start popping up now.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I personally really just want people to stop arguing all the time about it. We are all apart of the same community and some of the things I've seen said to others just because of their opinions on Metaknight have been pretty unwarranted.

Regardless of your stance, we need to move on.

Not even half of the tallies were pro ban... Well whatever. I'm hoping for the best of the Brawl community. I hope everybody has learned a lesson from all this, and that we keep working on making Brawl a better competitive game. Hopefully the metagame will advance like the anti-bans want, so that Metaknight will become a diminishing threat to the community.

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
I'm glad all of the debating over, for the most part. It was pretty silly how personal/immaturely a lot of people were taking it, but it's done for a while now.

bobson

Smash Lord
Goodness me, this outcome was COMPLETELY UNEXPECTED.
I am positively dumbfounded by this turn of events.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I'm so happy MK got nerfed this time around.

Wait--

TP

Smash Master
The only thing that really bothers me is the ignorance/selfishness of the elitist individuals that think the top of the metagame is the only thing that matters. This is a decision that affects the entire Smash community- not just the players that can consistently place in the money at regional/national tournaments, but also the players that fund those tourneys with their entry fees, which makes up a very, very large majority of the community.
I quite agree with you. In fact, I voted pro-ban due to this, even though I do not consider MK broken.

:034:

I'm so happy MK got nerfed this time around.

Wait--
lol.... The only way MK can possibly get nerfed is if everyone else gets buffed. But whatever. The discussion is over, the drama is over, and now we can all move on and grow as Brawlers.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Yay I can keep Fair-gimping MKs who get predictable with their glide recovery and at that moment where they think because they're MK I'll let them come back onto the stage but next second later the WTF-Bomb ensues.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Ehh whatever, fine with me. MK ban wasn't that big of an issue to me because the MK's I've fought, I didn't do half bad against. =D at least it's finally over.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Awww a ban would of been funny lol.
Not like a ban would've actually done anything, it was just a recommendation. People who wanted him to stay would've kept making MK-allowed tourneys and life would be the same as before.

... Just like this ended up as, life is still the same as before, so no one really lost anything.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Awesome, i can't wait to play against MK and sighin disappointment as he uses moves that are safe on block or give him frame advantage or are a frame trap.
YES!
i am antiban btw but I still hate the bugger.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
i just want all of you to see what the SBR has done.

The people spoke 4 times in fovor of a ban, yet the SBR STILL says no. Remember this day.

As one of the ONLY real men standing up and doing whats right, i recommend TO's to start hosting meta banned events.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom