• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Mario Rediscussion Thread. Currently Rediscussing: Diddy Kong

mars16

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5429-8906-2115
So the match up is even...........................................................

Are we discussing Lucario Now?

Inferno3044

Smash Master
So the match up is even...........................................................

Are we discussing Lucario Now?
He was already discussed. Although I personally disagree with the ratio we have, I can't bring it up just for me. If others want to bring Lucario back up then by all means.

mars16

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5429-8906-2115
already talked Lucario........I always miss the best parts......

Well if nobody wants to discuss the Pokemon then I vote Wolf :chuckle:

mars16

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5429-8906-2115

Umm.... Wolf Out Ranges us with his Fsmash and he is Heavier....
He may run slow but he has fast attack also his Dacus is Good
He has good Projectile that even does damage up close but its not as good as Mario's
He is also a good Gimper
I find his Down smash to be his best Kill Move(My opionin (Grammer) )
His Reflecter sends projectile back at a Faster speed!
______

His recovery isn't thast good and easily Gimped by Mario's Cape
Mario out Priority's Wolf... I think ok
Mario is Faster Overall
Mario's Reflecter has more use in this Battle
Fireballs have more use
_____

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
We already discussed Wolf fairly recently, but I think it's even. He has slightly more reliable KO moves in D-smash, and his B-air zoning is moderately annoying, but you can **** juggle him and gimp him fairly easily with FLUDD, Cape, N-airs.

Also, keep in mind that if you DI Up, the first hit of his F-smash DOES NOT combo into the second hit.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I really don't like playing against ROBs. Mario can juggle him nicely, but ROB is very difficult to approach with his amazing tilts, epic F-smash for anti-airs, and good edgeguard options.

Vs Ness however is a fun matchup. I think Mario wins it 6/4.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
Ness is 55-45/60-40 Mario's favor.

Bair outranges everything he has, as does Cape (which can **** him up pretty badly and he might lose a stock.)

Blah blah blah *insert matchup analysis* fludd > ness blah blah.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
The Cape outranges the F-air and does not have a hurtbox for Mario. Only problem is it comes out slower so it takes some prediction. Though, who doesn't use F-air for Ness?

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Neither, both are self-explanatory.

Fludd >>> Ness

ROB, I understand how getting around his tilts could be difficult, they're quick and have nice range, you definitely need to get crafty when going about getting inside...but Mario's so anti-ROB onstage. Combos, approach, cape for dealing with his camping...Hell, you can even camp him back because of his large frame and abundance of blindspots.

If you're careful offstage and learn specifics about the match-up (Usmash beats ROB's Nair, what approaches work, how to build the most dmg offstage) then it's a straight-forward match-up. Bo still ***** it as far as I know.

Edit @ Ness' Fair: As far as spacing goes, we can't do much to it, just punish unsafe landings or baiting it out. If he tries to use it aggressively, it doesn't have the range to be safe from our OOS options. FIHL works wonders on its spacing if you use FLUDD that way too.

And cape outranges it if you can time it...but it's one of those issues in the match-up. No really reliable options to deal with it.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Precisely timed B-airs trade hits and outdamage Ness's F-air, and B-air does in fact pretty much outrange Ness's moveset outside of that. However generally speaking, Mario outzones Ness. His tools in the air are just plain faster and safer, so Mario does significantly better racking up consistent damage against Ness. Landing the kill can be a little bit tricky, but Up-smashes beat everything Ness has (INCLUDING F-air at the right spacing), and a well-timed Sliding Up-smash can finish him off earlier than Ness can kill you with B-throw.

Oh yeah, Cape and FLUDD also gimp Ness, but really, Mario just wins this on stage.

Good Nesses from what I know (ViceGrip) like to use fullhops and vertical spacing to make their aerials harder to punish. It's a good brickwall, but don't let this intimidate you. Mario can counter this handily by running under Ness and breaking into his zoning with fullhopped U-airs, since Ness's D-air is a slow move. Keep in mind this wall WILL beat your standard strategy of B-air spacing slightly, so you have to be alert and watching what strategy he's doing. Provided you have good observation however, Mario dominates the air with his superior U-air and B-airs.

On the ground, Mario also is slightly advantaged. Ness does have a disjointed DA and F-smash, but those can be easily avoided and punished. Mario has a better F-tilt and Jab, and while his grab is smaller, his Jab cancel into grab is much more reliable.

This is a matchup that makes you think, since there are some fairly specific counters to Ness's spacing strategies, however I do think Mario wins this 6/4.

mars16

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5429-8906-2115
I guess were discussing Ness

Ness is easy to gimp for Mario...

Just look at his recovery

65:35

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
A character can be gimpable but still win. Look at Falco. Technically he beats Mario, even though his recovery can be easily gimped.

Mario however actually dominates Ness onstage with safer and more effective tools.

Top Bottom