• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Mario Rediscussion Thread. Currently Rediscussing: Diddy Kong

BSP

Smash Legend
Welll....................

Ready all the post above I'''''d say its

55:45 Donkey or 50:50
It's not 50 : 50 due to how much DK outranges mario, has more ko power, and a lot more survivability.

Dk shouldn't have any trouble killing mario once he's in ko percents. One wrong move and mario is screwed. Mario has to really play it safe in this matchup or he will get outpowered.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
By read, that means he has to predict a mistake, and if you simply play conservatively and recover correctly, he's not landing F-smash or Giant Punch, since they're both easily avoided/blocked on reaction when you play intelligently. Trust me, I understand reads, since my playstyle is heavily read based.

F-smash is always used as a read. nothing else. as for punch its kind of a combination of punish and prediction. except you just have to predict anything but shield.

btw logic fail "if you play intelligently"
same could be said for DK. DK could avoid mario's f-smash everytime since we heavily out range him

DK's Up-smash has less range than ROB's, is slower, and he has no real trap into it (besides the headbutt, which is a very unsafe move, while ROB's Dash attack sets up into Up-smash nicely). ROB also baits the airdodge better when people deliberately avoid his Up-smash. ROB's Up-smash is a pretty bad move, but DK's for the most part is less applicable.

why are you comparing DK's upsmash to rob's again?

anyway... DK's upsmash is second strongest in the game, second to ivy. and dk's smash isn't that much slower than robs . robs comes out frame 12 and DK's comes out frame 14

side b is not very unsafe. most DK's you see throw it out when it won't hit or break shield.

but I'd say that robs up smash is barely more applicable

DK has B-air for hitting behind him, and F-tilt/grab for hitting in front of him. His other moves are significantly more situational.

Besides, Mario's KO power isn't exactly bad if you know what you're doing. He has a better reason to charge F-smash and Up-smash than Donkey Kong, and the latter can be very difficult for DK to avoid if you have the sliding Up-smash mastered.

DK's KO power is amazing if you know what your doing and know how to punish. punch, f-smash, d-smash, and up-tilt if they are at high % and you need a faster move to kill.
replies in blue

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I'm actually leaning towards 60:40 DK myself. If only because DK just can't be killed.

My Pro-DK experience is pretty poor though.

Matt07

Smash Master
Ivysaur has the strongest up smash? Wow, thought it'd be Lucas'.

Huh, learn something new everyday. I haven't made an assumption yet to the ratio, I'll have to re-read everything then make my decision.

Inferno3044

Smash Master
I agree...The thing about DK is that he can rack up your damage pretty fast...When your damage get racked(lets say to about 75%) your initial strategy changes from aggro to campy....Word of advice, stay campy the entire match...Use fireballs every way possible (to approach and to retreat)

Getting insides DK attack range and pressuring his shield is also something you should do at low percents.
Smart quote from a smart player.

@SmashGod-The reason your losing is because you must be approaching DK wrong...If you approach a DK the wrong way you will die in no time...You can;t just run up on him, you have to work your way in gradually

Also, DK can Bair Fireballs so make sure you don't shoot any if he's approaching you with Bair, Cape instead...
I wouldn't approach DK if I didn't have to. I'd let him approach and rack up damage when I get in.

Eh, this match-up is really dependent upon whether the DK knows how to recover or not imo. The gimps are the only thing that saves Mario in this MU really, that and well spaced fireball edge gaurding in some cases.

DK's outranges Mario both ground and air. Our Bair basically ignores fireballs and sets up for good chain combos/damage. Most of Mario's approaches can be shut down with reverse Utilt and Bair and his camp can be easily broken since he has no reliable way to get around DK without taking damage once he's pressured onto an edge. And edge cornered is where DK loves a person to be.

A notable thing in this match up that I want to mention, with my experience playing a very decent/intelligent Mario player, Bair edge gaurding Mario in this MU just ***** him. I don't know how many times I've D-Cargo'd a Mario off and just edge gaurd Baired him to death. If spaced right I don't believe Mario has an option since he's forced to recover so lower already.

On a high level play where both know the MU I think maybe 55:45 DK. But in most circumstances 60:40 DK sounds better.
Lol. 6:4 DK. DK can't do chain combos how someone like Mario can. Bair stays out for too long. It's a very good spacing tool and DK outranges us but when we get in we stay in. The Utilt thing is theorycraft. We can fireball making you shield so that we can follow up that fireball up with any fast move. DK's shield is slow so we can pressure it with stuff.

Mario's fireballs as a camping tool are a joke, switching around between power shielding and ftilting them is one of the ways I amuse myself and is a fun game at parties. After that Mario is at the edge, bam look at that.
OK. Watch this then. You are ZONING (just because you don't wanna camp) with fireballs and DK is approaching using by powershielding. Then you do something else because he's closing in. You do a crossover dair on his shield and crouch. DK can't do ****. He can't SH bair because that'll miss and you can punish. Whatever he does at this point OOS can be shielded and/or punished on reaction. Hello Mario combos.

DK can avoid the cape by using up b early or using saving his second jump to jump over him. He doesn't always have the option, but hitting up b early and trucking as far as you can saves your life and only gives you a minimal punish if anything.
Using UpB early is good assuming you are well above the stage. If he recovers high then he'll just take move damage. If he gets hit off with something like Dsmash, it doesn't hit you off high. You can edgeguard and force an UpB. Jumping over someone isn't a good idea. It's not the speed of an instant transmission and attempting to jump over someone will get them clipped. Even if DK successfully jumps, Mario can jump and hit him off and it's the same situation but with no jump. Gimp

I hope people remember that 2 DK players (Ripple and Daisho) said that you will gimp DK about once per game on average. That's saying that on average you can have DK lose a stock at some dumb low percent like 50. This also practically means that DK has to get rid of 3 stocks before Mario gets rid of 2. I'm perfectly fine with doing this.

I'm going to a smashfest tomorrow. Cable's gonna be there (love him) and I'll give advice first hand playing against possibly the best DK. He's definitely one of the best DK's.

On a very separate note to Mario mains: is anybody starting to think Mario vs. MK is 7:3 MK?

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
On a very separate note to Mario mains: is anybody starting to think Mario vs. MK is 7:3 MK?
No. MK definitely has the advantage, but Mario has all the tools needed to fight back, just that they aren't good enough to match what MK has. If Mario had more range (and a better recovery), the MU would slip to his favor, but due to that, the MU isn't going anywhere near Even.

65:35 seems solid.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I hate replies within quotes. They are impractical to do and hard on people who use quote replies.

Firstoff if you're going to make comparisons in kill moves, be aware that Mario's F-smash actually outranges the majority of DK's ground moves (haven't tested against F-tilt yet though, you might have that one, although a dashdance canceled F-smash DEFINITELY can punish it from outside of range). Mario's F-smash is a much better punish tool by far by virtue of its massive leanback and huge distance it gains on the reverse, and Up-angled, it's a very respectable kill move that can in fact be used to punish DK's B-air out of shield if it's not spaced optimally.

Donkey Kong's Headbutt is unsafe on block and spotdodgeable/powershieldable on reaction, and it doesn't even have particularly good priority anyway. It's not a very good move.

DK does have amazing KO power, but Mario isn't incompetent at kills either when played correctly, and most importantly Donkey Kong isn't Snake in that his options for escaping juggles and stopping pressure are more limited without solid projectiles/explosives.

Big-Omar

Smash Journeyman
Yea, I'm starting to think Mario vs MK is 70:30 MK. It's hard to get around his priority and fast attacks >.> Then there's that dair gimp...

BSP

Smash Legend
We can fireball making you shield so that we can follow up that fireball up with any fast move. DK's shield is slow so we can pressure it with stuff.
I think you're giving the Fball a little too much value. DK can do pretty much any attack to cancel it (and the attack if it's weak enough), and then be ready.

You do a crossover dair on his shield and crouch. DK can't do ****. He can't SH bair because that'll miss and you can punish. Whatever he does at this point OOS can be shielded and/or punished on reaction. Hello Mario combos.
A smart player won't try to attack at every single little opening, most would weigh risk and reward. DK could just roll away, or he could retreat a SH bair, and im almost positive that nothing mario has can punish a retreating bair, especially if he's crouching and facing the other way.

And 65 : 35 does sound about right for MK, but I would suggest switching characters.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
Personally, I think MK is 70:30 and D3 is 75:25.

The MK matchup is ridiculous, and I practice with an MK regularly. But I do fine once I switch to MK. >_>

Also, the DK matchup isn't even, it's definantly in DK's favor, I'd love to explain why, (considering I've played both Ook and Ripple, although only a little.) but I'm on my Wii, perhaps I'll give a full synopsis later but I really hate matchup talk.

IMO, 55:45 - 60:40

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
D3 I'm thinking is actually easier than MK. And an overrated matchup in general.

You can in fact realistically play to not get grabbed since he has no reliable approach or pressure tactic on stage, and Mario's Cape also throws a wrench in DDD's plan of getting a grab. He can be gimped. He's easy to bait into F-smashes. Provided you don't get grabbed, his only real advantage is his extreme weight. Besides, it's not a true infinite until high percents.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
The matchup is definantly worse. I thought the matchup was easy and then I played a really good D3, he saw right through my Fsmash shenanigans and baiting grabs and the like. In fact, I got 2-stocked, and I'm usually pretty good at the matchup.

Then I switched to MK and won with 2 stocks... Hm.

The fact of the matter is, while you're playing it super-safe, D3 can still rack up damage with moves OTHER THAN GRABS, I know, it's crazy right, why would they ever go for something other than a grab!? (/sarcasm) That outranging us and whatnot doesn't help either.

He can also gimp us pretty hard, especially if he reads what you're gonna do after he chaingrabs you to the end of the stage.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Most of DK's "******** ****" involves you running into something and not knowing the proper zoning around it due to matchup inexperience. If you're getting hit by airdodge -> U-tilts, <100% getup attacks, failing to deal ANY damage to DK's recovery, running into charged Smashes, and stuff like that, you have a lot of work to do before you can consider yourself competent at the matchup.

His F-tilt and B-air zoning/spacing are quite good, but not completely safe, and Mario can do a lot of difficult to avoid damage up close and has some more sick setups going for him.

Yeah D3 has random stuff besides grabs, but none of it is actually safe. He can do nothing to a waiting opponent anyway, so if you have a lead, the matchup isn't bad at all.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I hate replies within quotes. They are impractical to do and hard on people who use quote replies.

Firstoff if you're going to make comparisons in kill moves, be aware that Mario's F-smash actually outranges the majority of DK's ground moves (haven't tested against F-tilt yet though, you might have that one, although a dashdance canceled F-smash DEFINITELY can punish it from outside of range). Mario's F-smash is a much better punish tool by far by virtue of its massive leanback and huge distance it gains on the reverse, and Up-angled, it's a very respectable kill move that can in fact be used to punish DK's B-air out of shield if it's not spaced optimally.

Donkey Kong's Headbutt is unsafe on block and spotdodgeable/powershieldable on reaction, and it doesn't even have particularly good priority anyway. It's not a very good move.

DK does have amazing KO power, but Mario isn't incompetent at kills either when played correctly, and most importantly Donkey Kong isn't Snake in that his options for escaping juggles and stopping pressure are more limited without solid projectiles/explosives.

first off, you were the one comparing DK's up smash to rob's up smash. I quoted you and went along with it. I had no idea why.

our bair> everyone of marios moves

2. of course side b isn't safe on block. DK only has like 3 safe moves on block. down b, punch, and bair. its used as prediction (or hopefully, to break a shield) if side b is PS or spotdodged on reaction then why do you see it still hitting top level players?

3. yeah, DK gets juggled. his weight makes up for it. you may juggle DK until like 50 like luigi but what can you do after it to rack up damage? jab to grab? honestly mario can't rack damage or do much until we are in kill%

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
our bair> everyone of marios moves
Last time Bigfoot tried to prove that, he almost lost to me, and just won because he switched it up after realizing that just relying on B-air isn't all that safe. Of course, I was worse back then, and recently have become a much better player.

2. of course side b isn't safe on block. DK only has like 3 safe moves on block. down b, punch, and bair. its used as prediction (or hopefully, to break a shield) if side b is PS or spotdodged on reaction then why do you see it still hitting top level players?
Video evidence is not a valid argument for matchup discussion. The average player for Brawl sucks anyway, and even the pros aren't very competent compared to pros for other competitive games. There is a lot that people simply don't do right that they SHOULD be doing better by just knowing options.

3. yeah, DK gets juggled. his weight makes up for it. you may juggle DK until like 50 like luigi but what can you do after it to rack up damage? jab to grab? honestly mario can't rack damage or do much until we are in kill%
Mario's F-smash outranges most of DK's moves and slightly charged can kill as early as 110% up angled. Mario's Sliding Upsmash slides about half of BF and kills heavyweights at like 125%. Mario can be very good at scoring kills, and these strategies are not hard to apply against DK who has very limited options for dealing with pressure.

F-throw to fireball is really good against DK too, since his options for working around it are very limited, and whatever he does to try to defend against it still leaves him in a position where he can be punished for more damage.

D0N

Smash Ace
Honestly I don't think stages really affect this matchup much at all.

Frigate really doesn't give Mario or DK a noticeable edge from my experience.

RC is probably the best CP against him imo.

FD vs BF...imo those stages really depend on your own playstyle against him, although I guess I would give the nod to FD overall.
FD is your best bet. Fireballs are easier to use and if we use up-b early there are no platforms to land on. DK gets nothing really and mario gets something. Rainbow cruise is a terrible idea. DK beats mario in the air and we have a d-tilt lock on the ship that can start from a cargo d-throw. You may think you can cape us alot, but it wont be as easy as it seems. We want you to challenge us in the air.

Fighting DK is mostly about matchup knowledge and watching out for gimmicks. He does progressively worse the more experience you have against him, since he only has a few reliable moves for covering his options.
You always get better with experience... Even in seemingly impossible matchups such as mario v MK. It's just as easy for me to say fighting mario is about watching out for gimmicks and matchup knowledge. If you would have just said "DK has a few relieble moves for covering his options," it would have been better, but even so that argument is kinda vague and makes it seem as though mario has alot more reliable options which I don't really see. (Key words: alot more)

Just to recap, Mario (as some have already said) needs to be campy and patient. Rushing DK is not a good idea. Create/wait for your opening to get inside with fireballs, do your best to stay inside and build damage or knock DK offstage and hope DK doesn't slap you around, and then go back to fireballs until your ready to go for a kill with f-smash or u-smash.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
FD is your best bet. Fireballs are easier to use and if we use up-b early there are no platforms to land on. DK gets nothing really and mario gets something. Rainbow cruise is a terrible idea. DK beats mario in the air and we have a d-tilt lock on the ship that can start from a cargo d-throw. You may think you can cape us alot, but it wont be as easy as it seems. We want you to challenge us in the air.
DK can only attack behind him and above him, while Mario has a projectile, the Cape, and decent pseudo forward zoning options in his U-air and N-air. The D-tilt lock can be ignored since it's obvious. Mario also has a Jab lock against walls that he can set up with F-throw although locks in general are just extremely gimmicky. Mario is also pretty good on RC if you ask me if not nearly as ungodly as those guys who can fly at will.

You always get better with experience... Even in seemingly impossible matchups such as mario v MK. It's just as easy for me to say fighting mario is about watching out for gimmicks and matchup knowledge. If you would have just said "DK has a few relieble moves for covering his options," it would have been better, but even so that argument is kinda vague and makes it seem as though mario has alot more reliable options which I don't really see. (Key words: alot more)
The point is basically that DK has a few bread and butter strategies that actually work consistently, but you're much more likely to lose this matchup for not knowing his non-bread and butter strategies. If you don't know the matchup, stuff like airdodge to U-tilt, random headbutt aerial mixups, charged Smashes, Down-B shield pressure, the <100 ledge attack all seem more difficult to avoid or punish than they actually are. Mario's stuff when it gets started like his Jab game, juggle options, and projectile followups are generally harder to avoid since he keeps his opponent in better positions for followups, and Mario himself has better physics for followups.

Veggi

Smash Champion
Actually, all of Mario's combos he can't do because once DK gets used to it, he can just wait until Mario tries something and then shield grab it or just overpower his short-ranged combo starters with utilt to keep him off. When you know the Mario matchup, he really can't do much to DK.

His fsmash can be shielded or spot dodged on reaction and once you realize it moves like Wolf's fsmash it makes it really easy to beat. Once you just outspace Mario and react to his jumps, it's always obvious what he wants to do, so just don't let him do it. His FLUDD, Cape, fireballs, and down smash set ups are all easy to see coming. Gimmicks like fthrow>fireball might trick you once, but the next time you know it's coming and it's easy to react to.

Due to guaranteed combo starters and super armor, DK can get a lot more damage at higher percent than Mario can and DK's percent matters more, plus DK's large frame, range, and constant hitboxes are better for following defensive options.

D0N

Smash Ace
DK can only attack behind him and above him, while Mario has a projectile, the Cape, and decent pseudo forward zoning options in his U-air and N-air. The D-tilt lock can be ignored since it's obvious. Mario also has a Jab lock against walls that he can set up with F-throw although locks in general are just extremely gimmicky. Mario is also pretty competent on RC if you ask me.
I really don't see mario beating DK in the air. b-air alone is gonna beat out most of what mario has due to range and DK probly won't be facing you. Even if mario has more options, it does not mean they are better than DK's.

The d-tilt lock is obvious, but is not something that should be ignored. It's avoidable, but much easier to set up for DK since he can literaly grab from many different locations and toss you in the corner and its a stock loss.

The point is basically that DK has a few bread and butter strategies that actually work consistently, but you're much more likely to lose this matchup for not knowing his non-bread and butter strategies. If you don't know the matchup, stuff like airdodge to U-tilt, random headbutt aerial mixups, charged Smashes, Down-B shield pressure, the <100 ledge attack all seem more difficult to avoid or punish than they actually are. Mario's stuff when it gets started is generally harder to avoid since he keeps his opponent in better positions for followups, and Mario himself has better physics for followups.
What Veggi said; alot of things mario has are also avoidable. If you're trying to say its easier for mario to learn the DK matchup than the other way around, then I can imagine why you would think so but thats a little too opinionated

BSP

Smash Legend
All right, we know that this MU is in DK's favor, but just how much?

I don't think it's any worse than 60 : 40, but I don't think I've fought enough good DKs with Mario to say.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
1. it must have been a long time ago since bigfoot no longer mains DK. DKs have become better

Video evidence is not a valid argument for matchup discussion
are you serious? how can you even say this?

and even the pros aren't very competent compared to pros for other competitive games.
this is your opinion. you have no evidence to support this.

There is a lot that people simply don't do right that they SHOULD be doing better by just knowing options
just because you know an option doesn't always mean you do it. players make mistakes(even at top level) people freeze up, get nervous, or simply slide over the right button or miss it completely (happens to people).

Mario's F-smash outranges most of DK's moves and slightly charged can kill as early as 110% up angled
if this kills so early and out ranges the character with the most ground range why do I not see good mario's using this often?

sliding up-smash has to take some time to out. and with your logic can be reacted to.

F-throw to fireball is really good against DK too, since his options for working around it are very limited, and whatever he does to try to defend against it still leaves him in a position where he can be punished for more damage
is that the best you have? a f-trow to fireball that can be power shielded? power shielding does not leave DK in a bad position. if DK gets hit by a fireball at close range it leaves him in a bad position. it doesn't if DK has the ability to shield close range

Veggi

Smash Champion
What Veggi said; alot of things mario has are also avoidable. If you're trying to say its easier for mario to learn the DK matchup than the other way around, then I can imagine why you would think so but thats a little too opinionated
I was just trolling. I wanted to see if I could post a bunch of really vague crap in the same fashion that A2ZOMG and most smashboards debaters do and get away with it. It worked. I really give up on matchup discussions. It's just so...so...****.

if this kills so early and out ranges the character with the most ground range why do I not see good mario's using this often?
Because it moves Mario along with the move so pivot smash is only useful in punishing circumstances.

D0N

Smash Ace
I was just trolling. I wanted to see if I could post a bunch of really vague crap in the same fashion that A2ZOMG and most smashboards debaters do and get away with it. It worked. I really give up on matchup discussions. It's just so...so...****.
I don't really like them either, so I hardly ever participate. It's always goes too much into theory and detracts from the main points. Either way, **** happens in brawl so I was just like "hmm... he's probly right IN SOME SITUATIONS" :laugh:

BSP

Smash Legend
F-Smash on a Momentum-Breaking DK does not kill at 110%, even with a slight charge.
If DK has to momentum break with SK against mario, I think it's safe to say he's pretty much dead. Well, if he doesn't DI the hit well at least.

Good luck inferno.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
1. it must have been a long time ago since bigfoot no longer mains DK. DKs have become better
False, it was actually a recent tournament from like two months ago maximum if I recall. Bigfoot's DK is still incredibly good, and he uses DK in teams. I however am improving very rapidly, and my improvement as a player within the last month has been very massive.

are you serious? how can you even say this?
You cannot use video evidence or personal experience as an argument in logical debate. Matchup theory does not work this way. You have to back it up with relevant information. Most players do not represent the metagame correctly. MANY players have a bad grasp of vertical spacing, deliberate powershielding, establishing solid traps, safely edgeguarding, recovering correctly, zoning intelligently, not making technical errors, the list goes on. The average player for this game is currently terrible, and the average pro for this game is still infinitely less competent than the average pro for other games. Matchup theory is what we aim to improve towards thus.

this is your opinion. you have no evidence to support this.
As I explained, most players do not do a lot of the above things very effectively.

just because you know an option doesn't always mean you do it. players make mistakes(even at top level) people freeze up, get nervous, or simply slide over the right button or miss it completely (happens to people).
EVERYONE has room to improve, and when we discuss a matchup, the only mistakes that should occur are due to being on the wrong end of a safe guessing game trap or due to frame sized spacing/timing discrepancies between viable spacing/poking strategies.

Only a few Mario players are actually good with the character, and as I said, video evidence and personal experience are NOT a substitute for logical debate.

I could argue all day how I happen to have an easy time landing F-smashes against the DKs I play, but my argument is that it is in fact easy for a good Mario main to do this since his F-smash has VERY massive range.

sliding up-smash has to take some time to out. and with your logic can be reacted to.
While this may be true to some extent, you have to keep in mind that Mario's Sliding Up-smash travels at a speed that cannot be reacted to easily, and that DK has very few options to stop Mario from doing it when he's being juggled. This technique can reach DK from incredibly long distances if DK is trying to DI away from it, and it has the priority to beat basically anything that matters.

is that the best you have? a f-trow to fireball that can be power shielded? power shielding does not leave DK in a bad position. if DK gets hit by a fireball at close range it leaves him in a bad position. it doesn't if DK has the ability to shield close range
The point is YOU CAN'T powershield it because the throw puts you in the air, and if you actually land on the fireball, Mario has a very good chance of getting a regrab that resets the trap. The characters that can avoid this the best have good aerial forward zoning tools such as swords or sometimes projectiles, which DK has neither of.

This isn't a flashy trap. It's a solid one regardless that controls a lot of space and has a very high probability of creating a folllowup opportunity especially against characters who cannot directly address the fireball.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I don't think so, not after playing SRK multiple times. SRK's DK is really good, and I think he outdoes me as a player (or maybe not currently, since I haven't played him in a while, and I did improve since last time I played him). While I did get destroyed the first few times I played him, the matchup as far as I recall instantly became fine for me after I learned to watch out for specific things like airdodge -> U-tilt, the <100% getup attack, charged Smashes, etc.

DK only ***** Mario (or anyone) if you keep jumping into the ****. Mario can get in and pressure DK just fine, it's just you have to watch out for specific things while you do so, and not knowing how to deal with those specific things above all is what actually ***** you in this matchup.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
I probably need more MU experience xD

You have to be safe against DK. I agree with the jumping into the **** thing.

You've kinda gotta chip away at him :/ And it's hard outspacing him for the kill.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
DK only ***** Mario (or anyone) if you keep jumping into the ****. Mario can get in and pressure DK just fine, it's just you have to watch out for specific things while you do so, and not knowing how to deal with those specific things above all is what actually ***** you in this matchup.
I could not agree more with this statement here. DK punishes pretty heavily on bad approaches and decisions. If you know his options and where he may be vulnerable at a given moment, it's nowhere near as disheartening as it may seem.

He's actually like Snake in a few ways in terms of match-up psychology.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I also say it's even, but it's a much more technical matchup for Mario than it is for Donkey Kong.

Top Bottom