• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BrawlBox Q&A and Help Thread

brawlshifter

Smash Lord
If you look at this, you're a stalker: NorCal
Exactly as the title says, this thread is for any questions about BrawlBox that you may have. (The BrawlBox thread is becoming too crowded, and Bionic Sonic wanted a few separate threads.)

BrawlBox Official Thread:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=238861

BrawlBox Creation & Showcase Workshop: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=9224943&posted=1#post9224943

~~~Important:~~~

If someone doesn't answer a question you post, it doesn't mean they are ignoring you, it means they do not know the answer. As Eldiran says:
I second this. When people don't respond, 90% of the time it is because they have no info to give and cannot solve the problem. Instead of trying to call people on it, posters should reiterate their problem while providing more details and info. Just reposting the same information doesn't help.
So please don't get pissed off when someone doesn't answer your question, just repost it with more info. Thanks.

Another important thing:
As a heads up: All questions in this thread should be about BrawlBox. If an answer requires you to use another Smash program(like PSA or BrawlWall), please don't ask about it here. Chances are, though I really speak only for myself, we don't have an answer. There are a few threads related to PSA already that you can poke around and bug people about.

Also, skim through the thread to see if your question has already been answered. Again, chances are it has. If the question gets asked enough by multiple people, I'm sure it will be added to the OP, in which case you probably will be directed there.

FAQ

Q: How do I model swap?
A: Answered here.

Q: Where can I find all the files I need?
A: Here.

Q: My character can't walk.
A: Answered here.

Q: My character has the dreaded texture problem in-game.:(
A: Big thanks to Kryal for the fix!

Captain Kwark

Smash Apprentice
There are two questions I have.

1. Could you do a partial body part swap? For example Mario's head replacing Luigi's head.

2. How do you get a sword like Ike's on swordless characters?

brawlshifter

Smash Lord
There are two questions I have.

1. Could you do a partial body part swap? For example Mario's head replacing Luigi's head.

2. How do you get a sword like Ike's on swordless characters?
1. I haven't done it, but what fortwaffles did for Roy was delete all of the polygons on Isaac besides his hair and then I think swapped it with one of Marth's External Graphic Effects and called it using the sword glow event in PSA. He said it was a lot of work, though.

2. What superyoshi said.

superyoshi888

Smash Lord
For 2, you export Ike's sword model from one of Kirby's hat or possibly Ike's FitMotionEtc.pac(haven't checked that last one yet) and do either two things:

Swap the model with an item, or swap it with one of the character's external graphical effects and call it in PSA and attach it to the character's hand.

.Fade

Smash Journeyman
How do I fix this? Seems to be a common problem with Brawlbox.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
I'm trying to get my new CSS Icon for Roy to work, but for some reason, the game freezes when I use it with my common5. I saved it in the same settings as Marth's since I used it in Photoshop rather than making a new document. I've also tried indexing it then putting it back to RGB, but that didn't work either. I really have no idea how to fix it and it's driving me up the wall now. Can someone please help me out here? T_T;

Here's the icon.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b184/zackwinzard/MenSelchrChrFaceRoy.png

brawlshifter

Smash Lord
I'm trying to get my new CSS Icon for Roy to work, but for some reason, the game freezes when I use it with my common5. I saved it in the same settings as Marth's since I used it in Photoshop rather than making a new document. I've also tried indexing it then putting it back to RGB, but that didn't work either. I really have no idea how to fix it and it's driving me up the wall now. Can someone please help me out here? T_T;

Here's the icon.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b184/zackwinzard/MenSelchrChrFaceRoy.png
I got that same problem when I tried the one on the Roy thread. I would really like this to be fixed too. Anyone have an answer?

blaze1216j

Smash Apprentice
NNID
blaze1216j
Switch FC
0463-6711-5134
Hey I'm sort of new to the whole BrawlBox and i been working on Saki over Red Alloy and I want to know on how to decrease the size of the red alloy and when i try doing dashes and walks, it ends up walking on the bottom of the stage and goes back to the standing position, so if you guys can tell me how to fix this, I would really appreciate if someone can help me out...

brawlshifter

Smash Lord
Hey I'm sort of new to the whole BrawlBox and i been working on Saki over Red Alloy and I want to know on how to decrease the size of the red alloy and when i try doing dashes and walks, it ends up walking on the bottom of the stage and goes back to the standing position, so if you guys can tell me how to fix this, I would really appreciate if someone can help me out...
To change size, open the moveset pac in PSA and find the attribute directly under weight. For the other problem, go to the thread "Animation Glitches-A Reason Why", which I'll add to the OP.

camzy

Smash Journeyman
I'm trying to ease into brawlbox by changing the zaro suit samus label into zero suit samus.

However, everytime I get into the character select screen and start a match, it freezes. The common5 file I'm using is unedited and it works fine if I don't make any changes to it. Once I try and replace the label, the game freezes. Help please?

O I'm using FPC 3.5.1 and a custom CSS with supporting codes.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
resizing certain stage objects isn't working for me. has anyone else had this problem/figured out why its happening?

Ninka_kiwi

Smash Ace
can you make a 2D charcter in brawl box because i was thinking of a mega man hack using his 8-bit sprites as a charecter

stickman

Smash Apprentice
can you make a 2D charcter in brawl box because i was thinking of a mega man hack using his 8-bit sprites as a charecter
Not in Brawlbox... You can export vertices from brawlbox, but oyu would need to do a LOT of vertex editing with the Vertex Editing Guide (hint hint :) )

brawlshifter

Smash Lord
I'm trying to ease into brawlbox by changing the zaro suit samus label into zero suit samus.

However, everytime I get into the character select screen and start a match, it freezes. The common5 file I'm using is unedited and it works fine if I don't make any changes to it. Once I try and replace the label, the game freezes. Help please?

O I'm using FPC 3.5.1 and a custom CSS with supporting codes.
It says Zaro Suit Samus? Where?

resizing certain stage objects isn't working for me. has anyone else had this problem/figured out why its happening?
Are you using the scale feature in the animation previewer? I don't think that works.

STUFF2o

Smash Ace
It says Zaro Suit Samus? Where?
You know the text that appears in a character's icon in the CSS? Not in front of the CSP, but little icons with just they're faces. That says Zaro Suit Samus, but because it's so small, you can't tell unless you look at the texture on your computer.

camzy

Smash Journeyman
You know the text that appears in a character's icon in the CSS? Not in front of the CSP, but little icons with just they're faces. That says Zaro Suit Samus, but because it's so small, you can't tell unless you look at the texture on your computer.
I can actually see it though so it is quite annoying. Can anyone help me? Why is it that my game freezes if I change the label?

b2j135

Da Bess Pit
NNID
b2j135
3DS FC
3222-5569-3062
Is ANYONE working on Deoxys or Metal Sonic? I know about the MS PSA but what about an animation model? Kinda like how Shadow`s being worked on.

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
Can anyone give me a quick rundown of how to edit the ingame portraits so they work? I tried, but it froze when before the match started

Captain Kwark

Smash Apprentice
For 2, you export Ike's sword model from one of Kirby's hat or possibly Ike's FitMotionEtc.pac(haven't checked that last one yet) and do either two things:

Swap the model with an item, or swap it with one of the character's external graphical effects and call it in PSA and attach it to the character's hand.
So from what I understand I have to export Ike's sword than swap one of the effects(External Graphic Effects) in Fit[Character].pac with the sword right? But may I ask what you mean with "call it" in Smash Attacks? Sorry i'm still learning Smash Attacks.

superyoshi888

Smash Lord
I've been working on this. As stated above, if you want to do it with a normal character, you will have to do a lot of vertex hacking. HOWEVER, the glow for an alloy's eye and core is a 2D sprite, so you can replace that easily with a 2D sprite and remove the remaining polygons. I don't know how to change the texture with animations however, so I can't be of much help there.

Theoretically, by replacing an external graphic effect with the model for Togezo(the spiny thing Lakitu drops), you can call it up in PSA over one of a character's bones and make the character him/herself invisible. Then, do that for the remaining external graphical effects and change them depending on the animation.

@Kwark: I'm...not sure, tbh. I haven't played around with PSA much. Eldiran or someone should be able to help with PSA questions. Also, there are a few guides around here that probably go in depth about External Graphic Effects.

Eldiran

Smash Lord
So from what I understand I have to export Ike's sword than swap one of the effects(External Graphic Effects) in Fit[Character].pac with the sword right? But may I ask what you mean with "call it" in Smash Attacks? Sorry i'm still learning Smash Attacks.
Well, swapping Ike's sword is stuff done in BrawlBox. To "call" a sword glow in Smash Attacks, you "Add" an event, and then change it to:

Sword Glow
11031400:

1st Parameter: trail to use
2nd Parameter: (Value) duration/length of trail
Parameter 2, 6, and 12: (Value) Bone
Parameter 3, 4, 5: 1st point glow trail offsets
Parameter 7, 8, 9: 2nd point glow trail offsets
Parameter 11: Value of glow graphic
Parameter 13: Forward offset of glow
Parameter 14: Sidewise offset of glow
Parameter 15: Z offset of glow
Parameter 16: rotate on forward axis
Parameter 17: rotate on sideward axis
Parameter 18: rotate on Z axis?
Boolean Parameter: Disappear at end of subaction
Last Parameter: (Scalar) size of effect.

To do so, when the list of events you can change it to comes up, type in 11031400 in the bottom right of that window.

I recommend looking at the examples of this in the GFX sections of many of Ike's attacks. Copy-pasting those is probably better than trying to fill out the whole thing yourself.

Ninka_kiwi

Smash Ace
I've been working on this. As stated above, if you want to do it with a normal character, you will have to do a lot of vertex hacking. HOWEVER, the glow for an alloy's eye and core is a 2D sprite, so you can replace that easily with a 2D sprite and remove the remaining polygons. I don't know how to change the texture with animations however, so I can't be of much help there.

Theoretically, by replacing an external graphic effect with the model for Togezo(the spiny thing Lakitu drops), you can call it up in PSA over one of a character's bones and make the character him/herself invisible. Then, do that for the remaining external graphical effects and change them depending on the animation.

@Kwark: I'm...not sure, tbh. I haven't played around with PSA much. Eldiran or someone should be able to help with PSA questions. Also, there are a few guides around here that probably go in depth about External Graphic Effects.
seems like a lot of work though could you imagine how epic it would be to see an 8-bit mega man charcter hack

superyoshi888

Smash Lord
Heck yeah. Actually, the reason I was working on getting sprites to work is because I wanted to make a Mario hack. And Missingno., though he doesn't require nearly as much work as Mario and Mega Man does.

Eldiran, what files contain the External Graphics?

Ninka_kiwi

Smash Ace
Heck yeah. Actually, the reason I was working on getting sprites to work is because I wanted to make a Mario hack. And Missingno., though he doesn't require nearly as much work as Mario and Mega Man does.

Missingono that would be epic its final smash could like mess up evrything on screen and end in insta dath to evrything

Eldiran

Smash Lord

Yeah, I fiddled with the Advance Wars tanks for a bit trying to make Mega Man, but to no avail.

Good question. Naturally, the external graphics for specific characters ought to be contained in their own files, or in their _ef files... but the only place I've seen any of the others was in common3.pac. That didn't contain everything, either.

bboynotbgirl

Smash Journeyman
I have a question, after I export a file from a common 5 how exactly do I edit it? Right now I want to edit the text from the wifi waiting room where it said "Brawling" so how would I able to do that? I'm a noob but I know enough. any help please?

Zeruel21

Smash Journeyman
I have a question, after I export a file from a common 5 how exactly do I edit it? Right now I want to edit the text from the wifi waiting room where it said "Brawling" so how would I able to do that? I'm a noob but I know enough. any help please?
Any sort of image editor would work. Make sure you don't change anything about the formatting (Size, encoding, total colors, ect.) or you might encounter problems with quality and freezing. I've never touched those, so I don't know what rules they follow. Just try to imitate the original way it was done, unless you feel adventurous.

I've no idea what's wrong with that Roy icon, it seems to follow the format used by the game. I replaced Link's with Zero and it works fine. Something in your codesets may not cooperate with common5 replacement, or that icon may be making the common5 too large to load without freezing. Sorry I can't be of more help. Has anyone on that thread got it running, or is it just generally not working?

JoeGrandma

Smash Journeyman
I replaced Lucas' personal GFX with Togepi's ice thing and another one with Lucario's final smash beam.

The ice only appears at all on rare occasions, and then its texture will be similar to another texture on the stage. I have read that there is currently no fix to the texture problem, but can someone get it to always appear?

Lucario's final smash beam used to always appear, but after some changes to a completely unrelated location, now it only appears half the time. However, it is always the same color, at least.

Some possible hints (I have no idea if these are even related):

1. The ice almost always shows up if there is an item on the stage. Different items result in different textures, obviously. I think there's probably some kind of priority...
2. The beam used to never appear in some moves, appear sometimes in some moves, and always appear in others. I have no idea why. The results stayed the same even after switching around what subaction they were used in and making sure that the file number and graphic number were correct.

Any help?

bboynotbgirl

Smash Journeyman
Any sort of image editor would work. Make sure you don't change anything about the formatting (Size, encoding, total colors, ect.) or you might encounter problems with quality and freezing. I've never touched those, so I don't know what rules they follow. Just try to imitate the original way it was done, unless you feel adventurous.
Thanks for the response. I'm using photoshop but what file should it be when I export it? because I can't open it in shop.

Suren

Smash Journeyman
I know this question has been asked far too many times but I need an answer as to why the Green Hill Zone Character models don't work. Is it because they lack bones and the bone's ID is labeled differently than other characters bones? If there is any method to fixing these issues please answer.

Pichu_815

Smash Apprentice
I know this question has been asked far too many times but I need an answer as to why the Green Hill Zone Character models don't work. Is it because they lack bones and the bone's ID is labeled differently than other characters bones? If there is any method to fixing these issues please answer.
I'm not sure that anyone knows the absolute reason why the Green Hill Zone characters don't work. It seems that it is because they have so few bones, but the few theories that people have come up with usually seem to have exceptions. For example, there was a theory that you could only swap a model over a character that had less bones, but that has been disproven (for example, my Snover works over Pikachu even though Snover has less bones). Unfortunately, this also means that, since we don't know the exact problem, we don't know how to fix it, and we won't be able to test the bone theories well until we can add bones. So it would be a really, really good idea to just drop the Sonic characters for now. They simply don't work, and probably aren't going to for quite some time.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
i'm having trouble resizing YI:M and WWR in brawlbox. i've gotten other stages/objects to stretch/resize, but these stages keep giving me trouble. they show up looking right in BBox, but when i put them into the game they're the same as always.

Top Bottom