• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Competitive Brawl Stage Hacking Hub: Dat Valentine's Day Status

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
[SIZE="+2"]
The Competitive Brawl Stage Hacking Hub​
[/SIZE]

Recently, stage hacking has gotten large enough that it warrants its own thread. Well, by 'large enough', I mean 'somebody's actually doing something'....but I digress. This thread is going to be a place where stage hackers, coders, and testers (aka everybody who wants to help but doesn't fall under the first 2 groups) can congregate and discuss changes to stages. The Brawl+ Stage Legality Discussion thread is to be the place where we figure out how our hacked stages fit into the stage list for Brawl+. And though these stages are created primarily for Brawl+, other projects are more than welcome to use them, no strings attached. Stage hacking is independent of changing characters, and I want it to stay that way. I’m doing this for the love of the game, not to have my name plastered somewhere. By the way, it's 'Maestro26', with the 26 optional ;)

Now, to the important part: the stages. The general intent of stage hacking is to make them better for competitive play, obviously. Now, we don't really want to neuter everything down to the level of a neutral. Counterpicks are good. Getting banned stages to cp level is very good. Hacking stages that are unquestionably cp isn't really good. When I look at a stage, I try not to touch what makes it unique, unless that uniqueness also happens to be what makes it banned.

And for all you noobs out there, the .pac files go in the directory "X://private/wii/app/rsbe/pf/stage/melee/", where X is your sd card. If a module file (one with extension ".rel") is included with the .pac file, it goes in "X://private/wii/app/rsbe/pf/module/"

[SIZE="+1"]Finished stages[/SIZE]
All completed stages can be found at this Mediafire folder. All you have to do is remove '_gold' from the end of the file's title in order to play the stage. When a stage has multiple files, it will be packaged in a ZIP folder; titles of files in the ZIP folder will not need to be edited.

Download Jungle Japes+ (completed 2010-04-02)
The water has been removed and the bottom boundary has been lowered (butternuts). The inward-facing ledges of the side platforms have been removed as well (FrozenHobo). Klaptrap, however, has not been touched. No Level Freeze edit is required.

Download Luigi's Mansion+ (completed 2010-01-02)
The middle floor has been edited to be a fall-through platform, like the top floor is (Maestro26). No Level Freeze edit is required.

Download NPC+ (completed 2010-01-20)
The entire stage has been removed except the small portion that was in the top right-hand side of the stage, two platforms, and the viking ship (AMKalmar). The breakable platform was removed in model (Maestro26) and hurtbox (FrozenHobo). Various camera changes and refinements (AMK+MK26), as well as a small collision data edit to clean up the right ledge (AMK), were also performed. NAMQ_Drunkenfeast did some work as well, though none is included in the final product. Credit for the original idea goes to drpepper111. The stage should be reversed to avoid Chimera spawn problems.

Download PictoPlus (updated 2010-04-03)
All hitboxes (fire, missiles, piranha, spikes, arrows, rolling car), the clock transformation, and the ladders have been removed (FrozenHobo). The stack of blocks now consists of fallthrough platforms, and all of its interior walls are walkthrough; the diagonal line between eyes is now fallthrough as well (FroHo). Additionally, a small animation bug required a fix (Maestro26). No Level Freeze edit is required.

Download PTAD+ (completed 2010-01-03)
The cars have been completely removed (Eldiran), the main platform now has ledges (Maestro26), and the wall between the 3rd and 4th stops on the track has had its collision data removed (FrozenHobo); though the model is still present, it has no effect on the characters. No Level Freeze edit is required.

Download Rumble Falls+ (updated 2010-04-02)
The stage has been completely redesigned, with a static background and an inverted-triangle platform layout (superguzzi). To complete the transformation, collsion data, spawn points, and WBR-approved death boundaries (FrozenHobo), as well as a fixed PT platform (VietGeek), were implemented. No Level Freeze edit is required. However, do note that the stage comes with a custom module file in a ZIP folder.

Download Summit+ v2 (updated 2010-03-24)
The center block is now passthrough and the platforms have been reworked (FrozenHobo). The main platform has had edges added to it (Maestro26), and some small graphical errors were fixed (AMKalmar+FroHo). Version 2 is shorter on the vertical axis, and the platforms are no longer slippery (FroHo). The stage must be frozen, not reversed, in order to work properly.

[SIZE="+1"]Minor Fixes[/SIZE]
These are small fixes to presently legal stages, such as making a wall walljumpable or changing a ceiling near a ledge into a wall. They are not mirrored in the gold file.

Final Destination - The ceilings near the edges have been turned into walls
WarioWare - The lower wall can now be walljumped off of

[SIZE="+1"]Maestro's Current Projects[/SIZE]
None, due to my present status of "on hiatus"

[SIZE="+1"]Contributors[/SIZE]
Hackers:
FrozenHobo (see the second post for his stages)
AMKalmar (3rd post)
Eldiran (4th)
Shadic (when he gives me a link to a post with all of his stuff, it'll be here)
Butternuts
Superguzzi

Coders:
I should probably just put PW here for any future contributions...

Testers:
drpepper111
GHNeko
NAMQ_Drunkenfeast
Perfect Chaos
Valtrox
I think I'm missing people D:

Editors:
Maestro26 (me, ***hats)
BionicSonic (conditional, formally granted upon actually editing something meaningful)

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
Alpha:
Green Hill Zone+

Classification: Counter/Banned
Download 1

Changes:
~New Location (SuperGuzzi)
~Platforms (SuperGuzzi)
~New Collisions (frozenhobo/perfect chaos)

Big Blue+
Videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-iJ5-6PIsA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDIk6TSz00Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIe799aGjwQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqseLSA7-JE
Classification: Counter/Banned (Singles Only)
Codes:

Changes:
~Falcon Flyer stays on screen the entire match (PhantomWings/FrozenHobo)
~No cars/floating platforms (PhatonWings)
~Flyer now 40% longer (FrozenHobo)
~Road sped up to deter circle camping (FrozenHobo)
~Fixed ledges/ground (FrozenHobo)​

Distant Planet+

Alpha Download
Codes:

PAL
Code:
Distant Waterfall [The Paprika Killer]
4A000000 9018F15A
38000000 FF00001D
48000000 805B9CDC
DE000000 80008180
14000228 01000004
14000238 00000000
E0000000 80008000
NTSC
Code:
Distant Waterfall [The Paprika Killer]
4A000000 90000000
20623090 0000001D
48000000 805B8ADC
DE000000 80008180
14000228 01000004
14000238 00000000
E0000000 80008000
Changes:
~Left ledge no longer grabbable (frozenhobo)
~Permanent water (paprikakiller)
~Friendly bulborb (frozenhobo)
~Wall jumpable below camera (frozenhobo)

Beta:
Bridge of Eldin+

Download
Key:
~Black box (filled in) = Center part of bridge (still there, but get destroyed periodically)
~Black box (outline) = combat area for stage

Changes:
~Stage boundaries/spawns moved to the left (breakable part now leads to temp walk-off
~distance between camera and death boundaries increased to dissuade boundary camping​

Green Greens+

Remove bombs, lower number of block lines that can exist at one time, increase boundaries. We may or may not remove apples depending on whether or not exploding apples exist.

75m
top part of stage. remove hazards (springs/DK), remove walk-off.

Ideas:

Spear Pillar:
Neko's idea, as well as any other number of possible setups. This stage could easily wind up being a playground or a frustrating mess.

Norfair:
Remove lava wave (back/top) and container, rework plat layout. Lava wave removal probably will be done through code.

Most of these may change/be dropped due to limitations/stage's ineffectiveness as a viable CP.

NNID
Budget_Player
Pirate Ship:
Remove catapult, reverse stage, and lower water. Result is the ship with no hazards, no catapult sticking out (happens when stage is reversed), and no water camping.

Norfair:
No clue, but probably a less campy platform setup with the hazards frozen.
What does everyone have against (mostly obvious, easily avoided) stage hazards? That's like freezing halberd, if you ask me. I'd just make pirate ship not have water, and ignore the hazards on norfair and just screw with the platform setup.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
i say hazards frozen because i have no idea how to weaken them, assuming they even can be.

for norfair, moving the platforms may or may not have adverse effects on the capsule when the lava wall comes. if it still works the same then i guess it could work unfrozen.

Revven

FrankerZ
The catapult in Pirate Ship 1HKOs in B+ due to hitstun if I recall correctly so removing it makes sense for Brawl+ but for Brawl in general, it's fine to be there.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
again, i only say remove the catapult because i intended the stage to be put into reverse, which removes all hazards while keeping the background animation. the only problem with reversing the stage is that the catapult comes up at the beginning and then stays up graphically, which is distracting for the rest of the match.

ValTroX

Smash Ace
again, i only say remove the catapult because i intended the stage to be put into reverse, which removes all hazards while keeping the background animation. the only problem with reversing the stage is that the catapult comes up at the beginning and then stays up graphically, which is distracting for the rest of the match.
I think this is the best idea so far, if you do this, it removes the cannons and the tornado too right? because tornado has low gravity

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
updates on my other stages, Pirate Ship does indeed work with the setup i have now, but the animation is glitching between the rocking of the boat (i think i can fix this).

i've also started work with Spear Pillar. i started with Neko's idea:

so far its working fine, i just have some graphical/collision problems that i need to address which may have come from my lazy editing. >_> either way, this stage clearly has a lot of promise in what can be done with it. i feel that just removing the bottom (doable) simply won't do this stage justice.

D

Deleted member

so far its working fine, i just have some graphical/collision problems that i need to address which may have come from my lazy editing. >_> either way, this stage clearly has a lot of promise in what can be done with it. i feel that just removing the bottom (doable) simply won't do this stage justice.
Maybe the stage doesnt need justice. If every stage in brawl+ gets improved into a + version, there's gonna be too many stages for competitive play. You could just remove the lower portion of the stage then leave as is for casual-competitive play in friendlies.

The bottom portion of the level doesnt capture the charm of the stage. =/

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
And you also need to fix the loop that's made by the solid side. Or keep lasers, and have them go off on that side fairly often, I suppose.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
Maybe the stage doesnt need justice. If every stage in brawl+ gets improved into a + version, there's gonna be too many stages for competitive play. You could just remove the lower portion of the stage then leave as is for casual-competitive play in friendlies.

The bottom portion of the level doesnt capture the charm of the stage. =/
but why would we want 100 stages with neutral layouts when we could have a variety with interesting and still playable setups? just because BBrawl did that setup doesn't mean its the best.

And you also need to fix the loop that's made by the solid side. Or keep lasers, and have them go off on that side fairly often, I suppose.
i may be able to keep lasers, actually. i need to get it to load in a regular match first to see where everyone spawns...

D

Deleted member

but why would we want 100 stages with neutral layouts when we could have a variety with interesting and still playable setups? just because BBrawl did that setup doesn't mean its the best.
True. Also its just my favorite stage sooo... bias. =p

Whats the word on PS1 now? Still going for the reduced rock/fire wall transformations instead of grass only?

ZacTASTIC

Smash Apprentice
I feel bad that I don't know how to hack, but I use them all the time.

Stage hacking is awesome! As a result of my guilt, please let me know if you need a stage to be tested. Putting PTAD and Mansion on my SD right now.

Great work, guys!

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
yeah, thats the plan. unfortunately, BBox has decided that the summit is the only stage that size modifying will work on >_> So, until the size mod starts doing what its supposed to we're at a standstill....

also, keep in mind that i can move the top pieces to any place i want. like i said, i want to do this stage justice.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
BIG NEWS! I JUST REALIZED I WAS A COMPLETE DUMB ***! i forgot to make sure the resize effected everything. if this works, then all we need is the code to fix the windmill and we should have a legit PS1 cp!!!!

MORE NEWS TO COME!!!

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
ok, good news: i am, indeed, a monumental dumb ***. the resizing does, in fact, work. there's a collision and a graphic that must be resized separately. i don't know what the collision is called, but now i know how the stage works and it should be done by tomorrow.

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
Er...great, but can you use the edit button next time? :p

Rudra

Smash Ace
Amazing job FrozenHobo! I cant wait to see SP+ and PS1+! :bee:

Okay. Bear with me.

For Skyworld+, a possible remedy for the hitlag autosnap. decrease the length of the platform and attach ledges to the clouds, and remove the ledges on the platform.

Thoughts?
I like this. It sounds like a good fix till autosnapping on hit is dealt with.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
For Skyworld+, couldn't we just remove the platform, and make the bottom cloud completely solid?

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Why? Hitlag abuse on the platform is a viable tactic and a unique CP quality of Skyworld+

We shouldn't make stages more bland if we dont need to, its not a ******** aspect that degenerate's gameplay, and is not an overpowered hazard.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
How is it legitimate to make it so low hitboxes are laggier? As a Link main (Hello Dair), even I think it's dumb.

Autosnapping due to lag is just as "legitimate" as the platform hitlag. And both can completely change the flow of the match.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Because it extends the hitbox of certain moves as hitboxes are active during hitlag meaning certain attacks extend long enough to punish spotdodges and rolls or throw off power shield timing.

There is nothing wrong with that or having hitlag on the platform. Unless you can find a legitimate reason, there is no point to remove it.

Hitlag abuse doesnt change the flow of the match at all. Autosnapping can when abused.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Is there any video evidence of the hitlag auto-snap being abused on the current Skyworld+?

I'm not trying to say that I like it, I honestly think they're both as stupid. I think if you asked most people about Skyworld+, they'd find the hitlag to be an issue. In fact, I'm pretty sure that's what most people were saying when they first tried it out.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Then they need to take advantage of the tactic and prove it ssomething worth removing. Autosnapping is.

Abusing hitlag of a stage piece to extend hitbox for a few frames is no where near worth removing, as there is not a single move that can be heavily abused to a real successful extend. The closest one to that is Toon Link dair and pogoing has such large holes, that it wouldnt even matter.

If people dont like it, dont play the stage.

RPGsFTW

Smash Ace
I pick Sky World+ to abuse the hitlag. Why wouldn't anyone do that intentionally? It's almost always a good thing, from what I've witnessed.

TL's pogoing there is so funny. My friends and I just found out about that yesterday too, haha.\

Oh, and PTAD+'s download doesn't make any sense to me. The link sends me somewhere that I can't find any download button. =/

Oh, and can textures go on changed stages, like Luigi's? I ask because the changes are in the STGMANSION.pac, but that's where the texture would normally go. Do we need to use the clone engine stuff? I've never tried, so I don't know how that'd work.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
Oh, and can textures go on changed stages, like Luigi's? I ask because the changes are in the STGMANSION.pac, but that's where the texture would normally go. Do we need to use the clone engine stuff? I've never tried, so I don't know how that'd work.
Use BrawlBox to export the texture and import it into the edited stage.

For Spear Pillar, I think it would be cool if you just removed the top platform entirely. By removing the loop, you have a flat main platform, and 2 small floating platforms, but they're higher up than on BF or any other stage, so the stage still has its own unique shape. Removing all the hazards would probably give a good neutral, or leaving them in wouldn't be as bad as before since you would have much more room to avoid them. It would certainly make the stage more fun to play casually, and it could also be used competitively depending on how you handled the hazards.

Top Bottom