• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chill out. Metaknight won't ever be banned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer

since OS's thread isn't being closed and im not cool with OS's **** moves lately

heres my immediate response after hearing OS

Many predictions have been made about the possibility of Metaknight falling from his throne, but as of yet all have been incorrect.
First line and we encounter a major problem. Overswarm pretty much admits that Metaknight not falling from his throne is a problem. Him, and most pro-ban players, have a major issue with a fighting game having a dominant top character (probably because of Melee). However, as I've said time and time again, a game with a clear cut best character is perfectly fine. There have been dozens of extremely popular fighting games that have clear cut best characters. There have been dozens more where only 2 or 3 of the cast was truly tourny viable.

One character (MK) having clear dominance over the rest of the cast isn't anything new. It's new if the only competitive fighting game you've touched before Brawl was Melee.

To give you a bit of history, Ankoku's chart has had two total characters taking the #1 spot:

Snake
Metaknight

It was originally held by Snake, then quickly taken over by Metaknight. Since then, Metaknight hasn't dropped from that spot, and has had a point total that is generally around the combined points total of the 2nd and 3rd ranked characters. Even while Snake was in first, MK was in 2nd. The third place spot has been taken by Diddy, Dedede, Falco, and Wario (Wario tied with D3 at that point, technically).

Other characters have risen and fallen dramatically, but for all intents and purposes there have been a grand total of two characters that could be considered "blue chip stocks": Snake and MK.
Nothing to argue here. Statistical facts and a brief interpretation that I agree with.

For future reference I'll only quote statements that I have an issue with. If it isn't quoted, assume that I agree with the statement or the statement is a statistical fact.

From this we can also see that one of two things are happening:

A) Metaknight has dictated which characters are viable at both high level of play (tournaments with 150+ players) and all levels of play combined (ankoku's chart)
Yes, the best character in a game will dictate which characters in the rest of the cast are tournament viable. This is common sense but it seems that Overswarm is painting this fact in a negative light.

or

B) It's merely coincidental that the characters that do better against Metaknight have higher rankings and those that do poorly have lower rankings.
It is not coincidental at all. I'm pretty sure Overswarm knows this so throwing in this "alternative" option is just for flavor. Again, it seems that OS has an issue with this fact in general.

Looking at the list, you can see several characters that could otherwise be viable that aren't nearly as high as others and it appears to be solely due to MK's influence. While it may be a coincidence, it is highly unlikely. Do we really think King Dedede is 8th best, or has Metaknight taken the wind out of his sails?
Metaknight dominates Dedede hardcore. This isn't a problem and it isn't surprising.

Zangief in SF4 is a powerhouse in nearly all of his match-ups. Except one. Sagat. People argue that this match-up is either 70-30 or 80-20 in Sagats favor. The point is the best character in the game, Sagat, directly counters Zangief. Let's stop here. Is that a problem? I don't think so.

So then the next argument is, "But Zangief would be so much more tourny viable if Sagat was gone!" The answer to that comment is, "You are correct,", but what does removing the best character in the game in order to cater Zangief and the rest of the cast being inferior have to do with Sagat as an individual? Nothing.

Another issue I have with Overswarm is his attempt to cater to the rest of the cast; to let more characters have more chances of winning because that's what a fun game is all about. That's scrubby mentality. The point of having a "best character" in any game is the fact that they dominate the majority of the cast; if they didn't, they probably wouldn't be the best. What is occurring, still, is a conflict of how Overswarm views the metagame and how it should exist. He simply disagrees with the nature of a game where clear dominance exist. Is he wrong in his thinking? Nah, but I think maybe due to his lack of experience with 3rd party fighting games with the added fact that he participated in the Melee metagame sways his judgement in the creation of the metagame he wants to be portrayed for Brawl.

Since Metaknight started though, he's only had one bad tournament (http://allisbrawl.com/event.aspx?id=3834, Winter Games Fest), which shows itself as a clear outlier. Snake, his #2, has beaten MK's score in only one of the 8 events with more than 150 players. If you take that one moment and then compare it to all of Metaknight's placements, Metaknight is still a clear winner. Metaknight's point placements beat Snake's best all-time point placement 5/8 times.
Yes, Metaknight is still the clear winner. Putting emphasis on the fact that Metaknight is the best character in the game isn't an argument.

Everyone's excited about Diddy, but Diddy's results are incredibly poor across the board at large tournaments. Diddy has one spike in point placement, and even then it is still overshadowed by MK.

Claiming that Diddy is the new MK counter is just as silly as it was when people said it about Snake or Ice Climbers. The data just isn't there. Diddy's massive point spike was due to one player and even that player claims it is even.
However, the fact is that a non-MK user has recently started to dominate MK in tournament. Not only has this Diddy dominated MK, but he has proven that Diddy can handle the rest of the cast just as well. The reason the results show a small spike with Diddy is because one player is using Diddy's potential at a much higher level calibur.

You cannot ignore the fact that a Diddy took 1st place in one of the biggest national brawl tournaments up to date.

The argument, "But it's one person," or "ADHD is special" is bologna. What ADHD did was show to the smash scene that Diddy has the potential and capabilities of wreaking absolute havoc in the game including against Metaknight himself.

Ally's Snake, taking 3rd at the same tournament, is the same example with ADHD. These players aren't special. We all picked up the disc and started from the same point; these two players simply have put the most effort in to opening and exploring a character that is more complex and harder to use than MK.

Diddy is not the magic pill for metaknight that some people think he is. ADHD is just really good and knows the matchup. Just like Ally didn't bring on the reign of the Snake, ADHD will not be followed by an army of monkeys.
A very, very poor statement here.

ADHD practically climbed Mount Everest and said, "Look. I can do it. So can you." The argument you make here is just... so weak I'm not sure how to respond to it. You're pretty much saying, "ADHD is really good at the game in terms of skill and is knowledgeable in terms of the matchup" as if no one else is allowed or capable of duplicating the same attributes.

There is no army behind ADHD or Ally because it's simply harder to do. Ally and ADHD have been spending their entire Brawl career perfecting match-ups, improving, discovering, etc. Their popularity can not match the popularity of Metaknight. Thus Metaknight's metagame increased at a substantial rate thanks to his popularity and M2K's extensive usage with him. Combine that with Metaknight's ease of use and you have your perfect Metaknight army.

Mind you, the best character army is very normal in all fighting games. This character is the staple character people surround their match-ups around when they are attempting to break the high tier barrier with a lower tiered character. Nothing new here.

--------

Breaking here to finish talking about the rest of the post in the next post below. Try to refrain from posting anything if you can.

--------

We have no data and I mean none that implies anything will change in a way that hurts MK's dominance. In fact, results show a RISE in metaknight usage AND victory. You cannot claim that the Metaknight issue can be ignored simply because Ally's Snake won one event and ADHD's Diddy won another when no one else has come even close to emulating them. Over the course of Brawl's lifespan, Metaknight gave everyone a headstart and is still smoking the entire cast. He beats Snake and Diddy's points combined on Ankoku's chart. If you combined Snake and Diddy they'd barely be out-ranking Metaknight. If you combined Snake, Wario, and Dedede's points from 150+ player tournaments, they'd barely be losing to Metaknight's ranking, and Dedede had a free tournament since MK wasn't present in the top 8!
This is where we massively disagree on how the metagame will be shaped.

Firstly, you state again how MK's dominance is not affected showing your dislike for a character's dominance in a fighting game period. I addressed this issue above.

The Metaknight "issue" that you refer to is very unclear at this point. Ally's Snake and ADHD's Diddy is proof that there are characters who can go toe-to-toe and beat both Metaknight and the rest of the cast. It's actually perfect example of how players can break through the Metaknight barrier. ADHD was not this dominant when the MK issue was around a year ago, however one year later, look at him. Growing. Growing = healthy.

Metaknight had a headstart because he was the best character in the game. The best character being overused and overplayed and thus outspeeding the metagame race is not surprising nor abnormal.

But in all this data, there is something very good about all of this:

The rest of the cast is very, very close together.

Snake's 19% of the points is a decent gap between D3's 9%, but other than that there is a very, very minor gap. This hints towards a possibility of a game where MULTIPLE characters are viable in high level play, rather than just Metaknight and whoever you think does well against him.
Red light. This is Overswarm hinting again to his true intention: attempting to create a metagame that is similar in nature of Melee's. However you cannot ignore the growth that stares us in the face. Diddy is a threat. Snake is a threat. It is up to the community to pick up and possibly expand these characters. That's already 3 characters who are "viable".

Speaking of viable, we have players like DEHF's Falco who consistently takes 1st place in West Coast. Players like Boss' Luigi and Logic's Olimar and Chu's Kirby completely dominating their scene. Riddle's Zero Suit Samus just recently placed over Seibrik in the Florida region. Ice Climbers is a huge threat to Metaknight.

These results aren't fluke. It's growth. It's people expanding their characters without a massive army behind. Not only is it possible for people to place over MK, but it is happening on a very consistent basis and rapidly increasing as time moves forward.

This graph uses all of Ankoku's recorded tournaments and shows a steady decline in attendance. Statistically, winter months have less entrants than spring and summer, but this graph shows the opposite. (Graph by hotgarbage)
This is simply Overswarm being a drama queen and trying to capture the audience's attention by showing a statistical fact that does not directly relate to MK's existence.

A more accurate description of what that chart shows is the initial boom of the game. Then slowly but surely all of the MELEE players who did not like the change in the game dropped from the scene.

Bad, Overswarm. Bad.

Beyond this, go back and read the arguments for banning Metaknight and the arguments against it. Listen to the podcast. Ask yourself if the pro-ban argument has changed. Then ask if the anti-ban argument has changed.
What does an argument changing have to do with anything if previous arguments still directly answer "new" arguments that are being made?

Metaknight needs to be banned. The evidence people are looking for cannot physically exist. There will ALWAYS be a "what if". This is pure dominance, and any expectations of a magical counter have been and always will be a pipe dream.
No, Metaknight does not need to be banned.

You simply want him banned based on your interpretation of how you believe the metagame of Brawl should exist. Do not impose your ideals as absolute and suggest such a need when many people will share many different and equally as important views on the subject. This has been my main quarrel with you, Overswarm. Your ideas are not superior. They are views. There are many paths of finding a solution and yours is simply one path.

Metaknight does not need a "magical counter". This emphasis on finding someone who can defeat Metaknight is, again, you being discontent with a best character existing in competitive fighting game. You disagree with its setup and wish you establish a new one.

We've seen people arguing for ledge grab limits, for gliding limits, for banning IDC, for making Metaknight lose if the time runs out, for having a certain amount of air time available, Metaknight not being able to counterpick his opponent, and all SORTS of ridiculous things.

All of those issues have been shown to be issues in tournament by one character ONLY: Metaknight. Oddly enough, these things considered to be balance issues are not only MK only, but haven't had nearly as good of results as MK as a whole has.
By people, I hope you mean the SBR. The majority public does not whine about LGL's or gliding limits. At Pound 4, none of these "problems" even presented themselves. However, most pro-ban players will use what they can get as ammunition to present a case against Metaknight. In reality, these "issues" only reveal themselves once in a blue moon.

The fact that multiple characters can use the same technique is a good one. It means that it isn't character specific. The fact that Metaknight can do it the best simply reestablishes why he is #1 in the tier list.

These are clear indications that the character is a problem. Don't continue to beat around the bush; ban the character. Metaknight clears expectations set by all previous bannings. Items have been banned faster, stages have been banned faster, and even D3's infinite has been banned in multiple regions and none of these have even close to the amount of negative data that MK has given us.
I disagree. I don't think the character is the problem. I truly believe that the majority of the community was spoiled by Melee's metagame and wishes to have a repeat metagame with Brawl. That and the majority will have scrubby mentalities when it comes to dealing with the best character in a game just like EVERY other fighting game community.

From a historical perspective, MK meets and exceed our banning criteria. From a realistic perspective, you can see his dominance. From an originalist perspective you can see that Metaknight is clearly a game breaker. From a contructivist perspective you can see that without Metaknight, many of the game's characters can flourish at the top level of play and create a very diverse and wonderful metagame where people can love their main again.
Again. Here we disagree. Our views differ.

There's no reason to keep MK other than personal reasons. Most MK mains out there will never want their MK banned. Most people making money off of MK, whether it be a Snake or Diddy that would rather keep their hours of MK experience rather than fight a D3 or the MK himself, would rather keep him around.
Now you're just appealing to emotion. I guess you've accepted at this point in your argument that you're only going to give your opinions and attempt to cheerlead the rest of your argument as a conclusion.

Way to stray from logic. Though it's a good political move if you want to attract the masses.

Omni

BRoomer
another response to a pro-ban argument. shared originally by Hylian in ADHD's previous thread. response was made by me and asker will remain anonymous

------------------

People like Omni and Inui have claimed that the Metaknights in the brackets at Pound4 primarily suggests the popularity of the character, not any kind of unfair advantage he might impart, although most people recognize him as the best character in the game. Based on the stats I posted in the social thread, Metaknight is indeed popular. There were 14 of them (of some sort) in the top 48, which is 29% of bracket players. This is exactly the same as Fox in the Melee brackets. They are both great characters that are also popular.
"Not any kind of unfair advantage he might impart"

Not really sure what you're referring to, but I hope it's not about how MK is better than the rest of the cast. It's an obvious advantage over the rest of the cast. I hope you aren't suggesting that it's an unfair advantage to the rest of the cast that Metaknight, the best character in the game, is also the most popular and most used.

However, of the Metaknights in the brackets 64% of them made it into the top 12. Compare that to just 28% of Foxes in the Melee bracket. I can agree that Metaknight is popular, but why are his results so much better than the equally popular Fox? If he was just popular, we would expect to see a more even distribution of results, wouldn't we?
----, you're missing something very basic here. You cannot compare Fox and Metaknight solely off popularity. Fox is not the best character in the game in Melee. The Top 4 characters from Melee can be argued interchangeably between Fox, Marth, Sheik, and Falco and even if Fox was claimed to be the best it would not be as obvious as MK within the brawl scene.

The reason why Metaknight's results are better is because Metaknight is a clear powerhouse in the Brawl scene. Melee has a very balanced high tier range of characters.

Imagine that you are putting marbles of various colors into a bag and pulling them out, observing the order in which the colors were removed. There were more red marbles in the bag in the first place, so you are obviously going to expect to see more of them and you are definitely more likely to see one early than any other... but if on multiple passes of pulling marbles from the bag, you kept seeing red ones come out in a high concentration early in the pull order, you might think that there is more to it than just the number of red marbles in the bag, wouldn't you? You would have to start to assume that there was some quality to the red marbles that caused them to pull out on top.
[COLOR]Of course. The red marbles have the highest attraction rate to coming out on top. This is an interesting metaphor, but it does not take into consideration the other marbles and their effect or lack thereof of being pulled out of the bag in succession. I'd rather stay away from word play and stick to the nitty gritty, but I do understand the point you are making.[/COLOR]

So I don't think you can reasonably say that the density of Metaknights that finished on top at P4 is just due to popularity. If its not that he imparts some kind of excessive advantage, then I need the people that don't want to vote to ban him to give me a better alternative explanation. The numbers suggest that there is a problem here. Every number we have for this game says so: Match-up charts, tournament results, weighted character rankings... all of it. Popularity doesn't answer this question.
Popularity is not the absolute answer, but it definitely plays a major role.

The best MK's from nearly every region of the US attended Pound. Havok, Judge, Mew2King, Shadow, Ksizzle, Seibrik. All of these MK's are top placers in their region as well. Metaknight is the claimed King of Brawl and statistics show that your chance of winning is highest if you choose Metaknight. Thus Metaknight will be in full attendance.

Interestingly enough, the numbers show that a Metaknight should have been the first marble to come from the bag, however, a Diddy emerged first. Followed by a Metaknight and then followed by a Snake. Despite Metaknight's popularity and overusage, the Top 3 players were completely diversified. It's actually scary to think how jumbled the results would be if ADHD and Ally had fellow Diddy's and Snakes that were close to or on par with their character just like Mew2King and the rest of his MK spawns.

Second, let's say that we can't discount that its really JUST ADHD and Ally that seem to be able to top elite Metaknight players on a regular basis and we say that its more about the characters than the players exactly. Let's say that Snake really goes about even and Diddy goes even or might even be a soft counter to Metaknight. I'm not sure we can prove these these assumptions, but that seems to be the stance of the anti-ban side, so I'm going to roll with it for the sake of this argument.
Eh... okay, but I'm not sure if the anti-ban says that Snake is a soft counter. I consider it an even matchup. I guess I'll see where this assumption goes...

So based on these assumptions, if Metaknight is a strong enough character that only Diddy can reasonably be expected to beat him, but he wipes out elite players for just about all other characters... essentially making just 2-3 characters viable at a national event, is that a healthy competitive game? Are we going to be successful as a community, growing the tournament scene, sustaining local tournaments and making nationals a hyped up event worth attending, if the game boils down to Metaknight vs. Diddy? For that matter, if Diddy is a difficult character to learn and MK is an easy character to learn, pushing the density of players even further in favor of MK, does the game stay healthy in the long run? Do we have a tournament scene that is worth getting into for new players?
Hm.

----, the question you're asking comes from something rooted inside you. You are unhappy with a competitive video game that does not allow for many characters to be viable and all of them interchangeably having the ability to grab 1st place (see Melee).

So there is no right or wrong answer to your question. It becomes a matter of preference.

A healthy competitive game is a game that grows over time and attracts a large amount of people, in my opinion. Your opinion may be different. However, I think it is important to allow the game to grow on its own instead of attempting to dictate how results "should" look.

The evidence of this can be seen from many competitive games. You'll find 3rd Strike results lined up with all Chun Li's or all Jun's. MvC2, perhaps one of the most popular and successful fighting games in America, has about 50+ characters but a clear team of 3 people was the most common to be seen during Championships. And here are Street Fighter 4's current rankings:

09/01/2010 (new update on 2 weeks)
Currently Arcade Machines' Ranking of Japan

01 Mago (Sa) 545.923
02 Daigo (Ry) 355.414
03 Ojisan Boy (Sa) 351.024
04 RF (Sa) 290.602
05 Tokido (Go) 198.879
06 Momochi (Go) 187.810
07 Radiowave (Sa) 187.273
08 Uryo (Vi) 184.301
09 Shiro (Ab) 182.672
10 Rikuson (Sa) 170.263
11 Kindevu (Ru) 163.099
12 Eita (Go) 159.701
13 Hamaa (Sa) 140.107
14 Akua (Sa) 139.329
15 Oaru (Sa) 134.608

Sagat totally dominates the tier list and the rankings list, but the winner of SBO (Super Battle Opera) was a team consisting of a Viper and a Rufus. The most important aspect to realize is that the game brought out hundreds of players for competition. Despite Sagat's overwhelming power the game is still very healthy and competitive.

I do truly feel that the Brawl scene is and will continue to grow. With ADHD taking 1st place, there will be countless players sitting home watching ADHD videos trying to learn how to beat the MK army with their newfound hero. Can they do it? Who knows? The important thing is that the game is still showing results that show room for improvement, chances, and possibilities. Some people suggest that the overwhelming amount of MK's "stagnate" the metagame, but I simply see it as a the same large and common barrier that players have to cross: the high tier, Hi-Im-The-Best-Character-in-The-Game-Oh-my, barrier.

The result is ADHD's Diddy, Ally's Snake, DEFH's Falco, Riddle's ZZS (who just placed 1st placed in the Florida region tournament with Seibrik's MK), Logic's Olimar. The only difference between these guys and the MK players is that they don't have an army behind them like Metaknight does.

Actually, one more point. Imagine the state of the game without Metaknight. What does it look like? Is it more diverse? Is it more interesting? Is it a healthier competitive environment? Are we more likely to grow the community with this Metaknightless tournament system? What are the results?
Again, your question's answer can changed according to the eye of the beholder. We could argue 'till our heads spin if a Metaknight-less tournament system would be successful or not, but we couldn't prove it until that system was put into place. The main issue is before considering implementing a new system, can we really find that our current system is faulty enough that it requires a replacement? In my own opinion I do not think so.

Omni

BRoomer
this is the fallacy in Overswarm's attendance graph (that doesn't prove much anyway). results taken and made by a really smart guy whos not me

Regarding attendance: I don't have numbers from June-now, however when I went through Ankoku's tournaments and ran the numbers back in June I also supplemented what was in Ankoku's list with other tournaments. Ankoku actually missed a few tournaments (I believe I dug up about 30 from March-May alone), so using his list as your only source of data isn't completely accurate.

My numbers show:
March 2009 - 50 tournaments with 1831 entrants (compared to ~1600)
April 2009 - 60 tournaments with 2225 entrants (compared to ~1750)
May 2009 - 65 tournaments with 2186 entrats (compared to ~1600)

So yea, the numbers are off, the decline likely exists but is probably not anywhere close to as drastic as that chart would indicate. I haven't run the numbers and scoured results for June-Dec yet, but I know from when I was checking results that June-August were more popular then March-May, so I can't see how the numbers would actually be <2000.

Omni

BRoomer
mind you this is just my immediate response. nothing prepared at all.

this doesn't factor in all the other arguments and cases.

RDK

Smash Hero
Excellent post, but why a new thread? It's hard to keep up with these.

Omni

BRoomer
Simply because this argument wasn't going to be seen in OS's thread.

You see, OS is extremely bias so instead of finishing the discussion and allowing the BBR to post both sides of the conversation he decided to just present his side and said "to hell" with any argument or case against it.

Overswarm isn't trying to find a solution. He made up in his mind a long time ago Metaknight needs to be banned and he simply pulls whatever tricks he can to make it happen. This isn't to that his posts have no content, but he doesn't care about the procedure of how things are run; simply the end result.

Omni

BRoomer
Omni is amazing, but he needs to fix a few typos up there lol... :bee:
yea my b. didnt really try to present this to appeal to a large audience and persuade them with my amazing power to overdramatize things.

it's fine tho. the point gets across.

edit: adumbrodeus, that's addressed in post #3

Tristan_win

Not dead.
...So let me get this straight, if I write more then 10 paragraphs responding to someone argument I can make a whole new thread for it?

Omni

BRoomer
...So let me get this straight, if I write more then 10 paragraphs responding to someone argument I can make a whole new thread for it?
next time i see you imma pick Snake in tournament and lose :mad:

Dekar173

Justice Man
Most MK players suck **** against Diddy. It's not "omg Diddy counters MK" or "omfg Diddy players outplay MK players so hard with all of these opportunities!!!"

simply put, MK players suck against Diddy (FOR NOW).

I showed half of those MK players you listed things in the Diddy match-up that they had never seen before, and did not know how to replicate.

They had NO IDEA that Diddy could do half of the **** that he's capable of (or ANY character, for that matter- Diddy has very few Diddy only ATs).

Now tell me- if you went into a battle against someone's character not knowing that they could do half of the **** that they were capable of (let's use D3 and his chaingrab as an analogy) how well do you think you would do against them?

Diddy does NOT go even with an MK who knows the match-up (god forbid a Peach or a Luigi actually learn the match-up) ESPECIALLY with all of the counterpicks available.

ADHD won Pound because Diddy players actively try to keep others from learning the match-up, not because Diddy Kong is the hands down greatest character in Brawl.

Limeee

Smash Champion
i love it when people post a huge hard to read wall of an argument, just to frustrate the opponent.

you didn't need to write all that to get your point across >.<

P.S i didn't bother to read any of it, but i doubt you brought up tons of content/new points

Omni

BRoomer
Most MK players suck **** against Diddy. It's not "omg Diddy counters MK" or "omfg Diddy players outplay MK players so hard with all of these opportunities!!!"

simply put, MK players suck against Diddy (FOR NOW).

I showed half of those MK players you listed things in the Diddy match-up that they had never seen before, and did not know how to replicate.

They had NO IDEA that Diddy could do half of the **** that he's capable of (or ANY character, for that matter- Diddy has very few Diddy only ATs).

Now tell me- if you went into a battle against someone's character not knowing that they could do half of the **** that they were capable of (let's use D3 and his chaingrab as an analogy) how well do you think you would do against them?

Diddy does NOT go even with an MK who knows the match-up (god forbid a Peach or a Luigi actually learn the match-up) ESPECIALLY with all of the counterpicks available.

ADHD won Pound because Diddy players actively try to keep others from learning the match-up, not because Diddy Kong is the hands down greatest character in Brawl.
Dekar, did you read my posts? I never said Diddy counters Metaknight.

I also do believe that Diddy's have an advantage in the match-up because most MK's are not fully aware of how to play it. However that isn't the only reason why Jason can't be ADHD or the reason why ADHD beat all the other MK's or why you beat me Dekar.

It could also be the fact that you know the match-up very well and know how to handle MK's. Me not knowing how to face your Diddy is a point for you, but you knowing how to face MK's very well is another point for you.

Regardless if Diddy goes even or doesn't are you saying that ADHD only won Pound 4 because MK's don't know the match-up? Are you suggesting that once MK's learn the match-up that Diddy's won't be able to readjust?

Edit: But yeah, read everything else. This thread isn't about the Diddy vs. MK matchup and I'd rather it not start heading in that direction.

Ghnaschnakoff

Smash Journeyman
IMO It takes just a completely different playstyle for characters to beat MK's. I adapted ADHD's playstyle to my own and now can hold my own against some of the best MKs in my state. I guess people just need to find THAT playstyle their character needs to play against MK.

•Col•

Smash Champion
If you're a mod, rules don't apply to you, obviously.

Anyway.... I guess I'm gonna have to sit down and read this super long post now... ._.

EDIT: Seems like there's quite a bit of QQing in the OP, just like your other posts in OverSwarm's thread.... <.<

W/e though. Both of these threads are stupid, anyway.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
so omni, if MK is proven to completely shut down(65-35 or worse) 1/2 -2/3 of the cast you couldn't care? you'd still be anti-ban?

just curious

Palpi

Smash Hero
It is true that diddy's, adhd included don't want **** getting out the public. I did the shuttle loop downb cancel on wifi against adhd and he asked me right after the match "who told you about the shuttle loop cancel" as if he was worried. It was pretty funny.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Good thread Omni. Although I am not a fan of all these different threads beating the same old horse that is MK, OS started it all. To be honest, the way he's been forcefully bringing back the MK debate has been really dishonest to the casual reader and is clearly agenda-ridden. Not to say some of his points aren't without merit, but on the most part they are just misleading. I'm a fan of global changes, but MK isn't an issue like he suggests, so no change is needed. Though, I do agree with him on stages, but that's a completely different topic; Just felt it was worth mentioning if he reads this.

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for the read. Joining the public debate is sorta a waste of time, so I'm glad at least someone is trying to contain this all while the BR takes it's time.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
this has been up for an hour.

no pro-ban rebuttal yet.

lol.

maybe i'll try something... just to see if I can get some more insight on this ban MK situation.

Omni

BRoomer
again. i apologize for making the thread in the first place

none of the moderators have been around to close Overswarm's thread. ive sent them messages and they've posted online so either they're fine with it or they havent checked their messages

with that said, OS pulled a **** move against the anti-ban by creating a one sided argument thread instead of bringing a neutral "here are the two sides" thread. with that, people read OS's thread and only see his argument and people begin to think anti-ban has no comment or response etc. etc. i refrained for a long time from creating a separate thread because i knew this would become a thread war but i found it completely unfair for anti-ban not to have any representation since OS's thread was kept open

@ripple: considering that MK has enough 50/50 matchups no i don't find it a problem. this game wasn't made in a way where all characters should have an equal chance for placing 1st place and being tournament viable nor should we attempt to force the game to follow that kind of metagame if it doesn't naturally fall in place as is

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Again, it's completely cool Omni. The fact that none of OS's topics got closed ticks me off a bit as well. It'll tick me off even more if this gets closed for whatever reason, so lets hope this doesnt.

lol @ a tourney where MK DIDN'T win sparking all this debate.

Good **** Omni.
Overswarm saw an opportunity in the fact that a lot of MKs placed high, and went from there.
He's pretty crafty, no doubt.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
since OS's thread isn't being closed and im not cool with OS's **** moves lately

heres my immediate response after hearing OS

First line and we encounter a major problem. Overswarm pretty much admits that Metaknight not falling from his throne is a problem. Him, and most pro-ban players, have a major issue with a fighting game having a dominant top character (probably because of Melee). However, as I've said time and time again, a game with a clear cut best character is perfectly fine. There have been dozens of extremely popular fighting games that have clear cut best characters. There have been dozens more where only 2 or 3 of the cast was truly tourny viable.

One character (MK) having clear dominance over the rest of the cast isn't anything new. It's new if the only competitive fighting game you've touched before Brawl was Melee.

Nothing much to be said about that. :/

Nothing to argue here. Statistical facts and a brief interpretation that I agree with.

For future reference I'll only quote statements that I have an issue with. If it isn't quoted, assume that I agree with the statement or the statement is a statistical fact.

ok

Yes, the best character in a game will dictate which characters in the rest of the cast are tournament viable. This is common sense but it seems that Overswarm is painting this fact in a negative light.

He is. lol

It is not coincidental at all. I'm pretty sure Overswarm knows this so throwing in this "alternative" option is just for flavor. Again, it seems that OS has an issue with this fact in general.

Yup

Metaknight dominates Dedede hardcore. This isn't a problem and it isn't surprising.

Zangief in SF4 is a powerhouse in nearly all of his match-ups. Except one. Sagat. People argue that this match-up is either 70-30 or 80-20 in Sagats favor. The point is the best character in the game, Sagat, directly counters Zangief. Let's stop here. Is that a problem? I don't think so.

So then the next argument is, "But Zangief would be so much more tourny viable if Sagat was gone!" The answer to that comment is, "You are correct,", but what does removing the best character in the game in order to cater Zangief and the rest of the cast being inferior have to do with Sagat as an individual? Nothing.

Another issue I have with Overswarm is his attempt to cater to the rest of the cast; to let more characters have more chances of winning because that's what a fun game is all about. That's scrubby mentality. The point of having a "best character" in any game is the fact that they dominate the majority of the cast; if they didn't, they probably wouldn't be the best. What is occurring, still, is a conflict of how Overswarm views the metagame and how it should exist. He simply disagrees with the nature of a game where clear dominance exist. Is he wrong in his thinking? Nah, but I think maybe due to his lack of experience with 3rd party fighting games with the added fact that he participated in the Melee metagame sways his judgement in the creation of the metagame he wants to be portrayed for Brawl.

While I do see the bias in OS's argument in terms of this point, there is one thing I want to point out... while you can't "have fun" "playing to win" (with having fun and playing to win as two separate entities), you can have fun playing to win (have fun dealing with everything that encompasses competitive gaming). However, if people aren't having fun playing to win, people won't go to your tournaments and thus, the community will die. Of course, tournament attendance addresses that, but I honestly don't know who to believe with that. Links plz.

Yes, Metaknight is still the clear winner. Putting emphasis on the fact that Metaknight is the best character in the game isn't an argument.

lol

However, the fact is that a non-MK user has recently started to dominate MK in tournament. Not only has this Diddy dominated MK, but he has proven that Diddy can handle the rest of the cast just as well. The reason the results show a small spike with Diddy is because one player is using Diddy's potential at a much higher level calibur.

You cannot ignore the fact that a Diddy took 1st place in one of the biggest national brawl tournaments up to date.

The argument, "But it's one person," or "ADHD is special" is bologna. What ADHD did was show to the smash scene that Diddy has the potential and capabilities of wreaking absolute havoc in the game including against Metaknight himself.

Ally's Snake, taking 3rd at the same tournament, is the same example with ADHD. These players aren't special. We all picked up the disc and started from the same point; these two players simply have put the most effort in to opening and exploring a character that is more complex and harder to use than MK.

*roar* Player vs. Character can cause such a serious headache. One can say that you need to get better, that you need to get on the level of these players to beat these characters, another can say that these people are in fact special cases in that they are just that dam good. So which is it? Are they talented? Or are they heavily skilled? It's hard to tell, because you can't really measure such arbitrary things. Personally, I wish that entire sector of the argument would be left to die, because that's clearly based on perception.

Admittedly, though, it does prove that MK, or M2K, whichever way you wish to look at it, is beatable. But you have to remember, people are human. :/

A very, very poor statement here.

ADHD practically climbed Mount Everest and said, "Look. I can do it. So can you." The argument you make here is just... so weak I'm not sure how to respond to it. You're pretty much saying, "ADHD is really good at the game in terms of skill and is knowledgeable in terms of the matchup" as if no one else is allowed or capable of duplicating the same attributes.

There is no army behind ADHD or Ally because it's simply harder to do. Ally and ADHD have been spending their entire Brawl career perfecting match-ups, improving, discovering, etc. Their popularity can not match the popularity of Metaknight. Thus Metaknight's metagame increased at a substantial rate thanks to his popularity and M2K's extensive usage with him. Combine that with Metaknight's ease of use and you have your perfect Metaknight army.

Mind you, the best character army is very normal in all fighting games. This character is the staple character people surround their match-ups around when they are attempting to break the high tier barrier with a lower tiered character. Nothing new here.

--------

Breaking here to finish talking about the rest of the post in the next post below. Try to refrain from posting anything if you can.

--------

In reference to Mount Everest: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVR1JunnuGE

but back to business, yet another correct point. The best characters in games will get the biggest following in games, as opposed to the characters that aren't that good. The question I have here, however, is how much harder is it to do it in Brawl than in other games, or if that even matters.

inb4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDF5cS-aV9U

This is where we massively disagree on how the metagame will be shaped.

Firstly, you state again how MK's dominance is not affected showing your dislike for a character's dominance in a fighting game period. I addressed this issue above.

The Metaknight "issue" that you refer to is very unclear at this point. Ally's Snake and ADHD's Diddy is proof that there are characters who can go toe-to-toe and beat both Metaknight and the rest of the cast. It's actually perfect example of how players can break through the Metaknight barrier. ADHD was not this dominant when the MK issue was around a year ago, however one year later, look at him. Growing. Growing = healthy.

Metaknight had a headstart because he was the best character in the game. The best character being overused and overplayed and thus outspeeding the metagame race is not surprising nor abnormal.

Nothing much to say here... partially because I'm getting tired of reading the same sh*t.

Red light. This is Overswarm hinting again to his true intention: attempting to create a metagame that is similar in nature of Melee's. However you cannot ignore the growth that stares us in the face. Diddy is a threat. Snake is a threat. It is up to the community to pick up and possibly expand these characters. That's already 3 characters who are "viable".

Speaking of viable, we have players like DEHF's Falco who consistently takes 1st place in West Coast. Players like Boss' Luigi and Logic's Olimar and Chu's Kirby completely dominating their scene. Riddle's Zero Suit Samus just recently placed over Seibrik in the Florida region. Ice Climbers is a huge threat to Metaknight.

These results aren't fluke. It's growth. It's people expanding their characters without a massive army behind. Not only is it possible for people to place over MK, but it is happening on a very consistent basis and rapidly increasing as time moves forward.

While this is good stuff, it's practically baseless without references to prove what is said about DEHF, Boss, etc. Not arguing it's truf, Just saying.

This is simply Overswarm being a drama queen and trying to capture the audience's attention by showing a statistical fact that does not directly relate to MK's existence.

A more accurate description of what that chart shows is the initial boom of the game. Then slowly but surely all of the MELEE players who did not like the change in the game dropped from the scene.

Bad, Overswarm. Bad.

Too tired to see what this even refers to atm

What does an argument changing have to do with anything if previous arguments still directly answer "new" arguments that are being made?

:(

No, Metaknight does not need to be banned.

You simply want him banned based on your interpretation of how you believe the metagame of Brawl should exist. Do not impose your ideals as absolute and suggest such a need when many people will share many different and equally as important views on the subject. This has been my main quarrel with you, Overswarm. Your ideas are not superior. They are views. There are many paths of finding a solution and yours is simply one path.

Metaknight does not need a "magical counter". This emphasis on finding someone who can defeat Metaknight is, again, you being discontent with a best character existing in competitive fighting game. You disagree with its setup and wish you establish a new one.

:(

By people, I hope you mean the SBR. The majority public does not whine about LGL's or gliding limits. At Pound 4, none of these "problems" even presented themselves. However, most pro-ban players will use what they can get as ammunition to present a case against Metaknight. In reality, these "issues" only reveal themselves once in a blue moon.

The fact that multiple characters can use the same technique is a good one. It means that it isn't character specific. The fact that Metaknight can do it the best simply reestablishes why he is #1 in the tier list.

Hmmm... I heard that people were timing out people all over the place regardless of the LGLs. I'm not even sure what that has to do with anything anymore because my .... everything... is wearing thin.

I disagree. I don't think the character is the problem. I truly believe that the majority of the community was spoiled by Melee's metagame and wishes to have a repeat metagame with Brawl. That and the majority will have scrubby mentalities when it comes to dealing with the best character in a game just like EVERY other fighting game community.

This is interesting. I do feel that wanting MK has some scrubbiness to it, but if people have been trying their hardest to beat MK for like 2 years now and still got nothing, if people have had MU discussion after MU discussion about MK, making sure it's as up-to-date as possible, and there have been numerous thread on how to be a tornado, not to mention MK himself, what is it that the community is missing? The skill/talent of ADHD and Ally?

Or maybe it's just that the mindset is beyond repair at this point... you know, like how when you're conditioned such that when you see a certain something in life and you just "know" it's going to have a bad turnout? Yeah, maybe something like that.

But let's say the mindset is more broken than the character... how do you fix it without banning the character? Can you fix it?

Again. Here we disagree. Our views differ.

ok

Now you're just appealing to emotion. I guess you've accepted at this point in your argument that you're only going to give your opinions and attempt to cheerlead the rest of your argument as a conclusion.

Way to stray from logic. Though it's a good political move if you want to attract the masses.
Well, there you have it. My responses in blue.
Once again, stuck in the neutral zone, leanin slightly towards pro-ban, simply because there are a number of things that get me.

1) Planking and the rules against it.
2) Whether or not banning MK is healthy for the community regardless if he's beatable or not.
3) How OS wants the diversity of characters in Brawl to be like Melee and how this is wrong, yet many many rulesets, stagelists included, practically scream Melee.
4) The MK vs. Diddy matchup. Now I remember when Ally beat M2K at Apex, a lot of people were saying that M2K threw the match because he didn't play the matchup correctly, or rather, he made very silly mistakes that weren't very M2K like, when it's obviously looking like M2K just doesn't know his matchups (remember when he thought Sonic was an MK counter? no? ok). Dekar keeps bringing up this theory that Diddys aren't telling people how to their item techs, how to play the Diddy vs _____ matchup, and are even telling crewmates the wrongs things to do against Diddy. Now while I'm not saying that's true (although that is awesome if it is and I think that's playing to win at its finest because I've read the Art of War, so I'm all about that playing to win to the extreme because you need to play to win in life... but I digress), I do have to wonder if the victories against M2K will stop, just like Ally's seemingly have.

Otherwise, I'm neutral. Not much else for me to say.

Pathetiqu3

Smash Apprentice
Does the barrier that meta knight creates useful? What purposes does it have? It seems to me to be an artificial barrier that limits diversity and, at worst, interrupts the pure expression of skill versus skill that a player wishes to experience in a good fighting game.

What is a good fighting game anyway? Why do we ban anything at all? Banning meta knight is as unfair as banning stages and items was.

I'm pro ban, but that's not why I asked all these questions. More stupidity than constructive discussion has come from these boards, and these forums. I suppose that's what you get when you divide all the important discussions into an entirely hidden forum and leave all the pub forums to the dogs.

If you're not willing to heavily moderate this forum, why do you even bother to let it exist? Lmao, what a joke.

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
Quick point some people seem to be neglecting:

If a Diddy didn't win P4 but an MK did, I think most of us Anti-Bans would still be Anti-Ban. ADHD winning is great for him and Diddy, but we aren't all relying on that.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Technically, only four solo MK's actually topped 16 at Pound 4, the others were two Lucario/Mk's (Kzissle and Lee Martin) and Ally as Snake/MK.

So it's not like MK was seriously dominating the tournament.

edit:

1: ADHD (Diddy)
2: Mew2King (Metaknight)
3: Ally (Snake/Metaknight)
4: KSizzle (Metaknight/Lucario)

5: Shadow_111 (Metaknight)
5: Judge (Metaknight)
7: Havok (Metaknight)
7: Logic (Olimar)
9: Lee Martin (Lucario/Metaknight)
9: Seibrik (Metaknight)
9: Ninjalink (Diddy)
9: Lain (Ice Climbers)
13: ChuDat (Kirby)
13: Malcolm (Wario)
13: Vex Kasrani (Dedede/Bowser)
13: DEHF (Falco)
17: co18 (Dedede)
17: Sanoscy (Metaknight)
17: Candy (Snake)
17: Alpha Zealot (Diddy)
17: DjIskascribble (Metaknight)
17: Dekar (Diddy)
17: Fatal (Snake)
17: Hunger (Wario)
25: Atomsk (Dedede)
25: HAT (Dedede/Wario)
25: dmbrandon (Metaknight)
25: Cable (Donkey Kong)
25: Xzax (Metaknight)
25: Infern Angelis (Snake)
25: Ling Ling (Dedede)
25: Bizkit (Snake)
33: jtails (Diddy)
33: Smash64 (Ness)
33: Dapuffster (Jigglypuff/Diddy)
33: Y.B.M. (Kirby)
33: Omni (Metaknight)
33: Stingers (Metaknight/ROB)
33: Junebug (Lucario/DK)
33: Bloodcross (Marth???)
33: Jash (Toon Link)
33: Hyro (Toon Link)
33: Takeover (Snake)
33: Boss (Luigi)
33: Mikey Lenetia (Peach)
33: Zucco (Lucario)
33: Pierce (Marth)
33: NEO (Marth)

I count 15 overall counting people who didn't go solo MK.

M@v

Subarashii!
It is true that diddy's, adhd included don't want **** getting out the public. I did the shuttle loop downb cancel on wifi against adhd and he asked me right after the match "who told you about the shuttle loop cancel" as if he was worried. It was pretty funny.
People seriously don't know about that yet? lmaaaooo

Omni

BRoomer
first posted edited with a picture!

i heard pictures makes for a stronger argument

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
this has been up for an hour.

no pro-ban rebuttal yet.

lol.

maybe i'll try something... just to see if I can get some more insight on this ban MK situation.
just want to point out two things
1: there is another thread that is pro ban so no point reposting everything
2: big wall of text who wants to read all of it then write up a argument?

Omni

BRoomer
NAGACE

when i posted my argument in the pro-ban thread no one attempted to argue it

uhh..

and speaking of wall of text remember that thing pro-ban had a few months ago? i think it was their argument for the pro-ban side?

yea... that better suits the definition of a wall of text

so no jones

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom