• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BBR: Custom Stage Contest (used for Cataclysm 5!)

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I'm happy to announce the first community-wide BBR-sanctioned Custom Stage project!

Nope said:
If you don't have a method to record, or friends to play with I will be willing to help you! Just send me a PM and a download link to your stage. I'll download it, then myself and my crew will play test it and upload it on YouTube!!! Your name and all your information will be posted in the side bar.

I don't want to see any excuses for not entering this contest!

OS you can add that to the main post as well if you would like.
Contest date: Feb. 08th until June 1st, 2010

Winners:
Two (2) "Starter Stage" winners
Three (3) "Counterpick Stage" winners

The Contest:

How to enter:
-Create a custom stage
-have at least 1 video, maximum of 3, of gameplay on the stage on youtube, linked in the original post
-have text accompanying the video explaining why you designed the stage the way you did, interesting facts about the stage, important information, who you think does well or poorly on the stage, or other information you consider important
-have a screenshot of the whole stage so that it can be recreated if need be (you can do this with PC stage creating software or by simply taking a picture of the stage creation stage)
-A link to download the stage

Rules:

Post submission here: (link to other thread)

All stages MUST be able to be created on a normal, non-hacked Wii; this means no hacked stages. Feel free to add custom starting points using the Brawl Stage Builder.

Stages must be entered as a "Starter" or "Counterpick". It cannot be both.

Brawl Stage Creator may be used if you can recreate the stage on a normal, non-hacked Wii. Feel free to add custom starting points using the Brawl Stage Builder.

Overswarm and his judges reserve the right to make minor changes to the stages submitted for the contest after the contest has ended. This inludes, but is not limited to, starting positions, music selection, background style, etc., etc.

Please keep in mind the following:

-The "sky" background may look pretty, but it causes lag for Olimar's pikmin pluck. This makes it an unlikely choice as a starter, and having a stage deliberately screw over one character is tough to swallow when creating a counterpick.

-Olimar's pikmin are determined by the stage you are on. Depending on how the stage is created, giving Olimar more purples may be a huge balance change. Be sure to consider this!

BBR ruleset said:
Stages become Starter stages when it is agreed by a 2/3 majority in the BBR that each stage is overall a fair stage with only minimal advantages and disadvantages given that has an overall low number of hazards, ineffective hazards, or basic hazards that can be predicted and implemented into a strategy.

Stages become Counterpick stages when it is agreed by a 2/3 majority in the BBR that they are not an overall fair stage in that they give specific advantages and disadvantages to certain types of characters, so much so that it can influence the match directly. Or, that the stage has hazards that disrupt play to such an extent that it cannot be assumed the player can avoid them with minimal effort or the hazards have such incredible damage and knockback that they can directly influence the outcome of a match.

Stages become Banned stages when it is agreed by a 2/3 majority in the BBR that they are not a fair or competitive stage at all, in that certain characters can easily have a near 100% win rate against others at top level play or that a large majority of the cast cannot actively be played on this stage, or that the stage simply requires such a radical change in gameplay that players cannot be reasonably expected to adapt (such as the Cave of Immortality in Hyrule Temple). Hazards can also cause a stage to be banned if they are random in nature and thus directly disrupting gameplay on a consistent basis, or if they are so powerful and/or unavoidable that they directly determine the outcome of a match on a consistent basis.

Contest Prizes:

(For best Starter Stage) 1 Free entry to Cataclysm 5 Singles
(For best Counterpick Stage) 1 Free entry to Cataclysm 5 Singles

For creating a winning Starter or Counterpick stage:
-The 5 chosen stages will each win their creator $10 in VC games
- A high five from Overswarm if you see him at a tournament
- Videos showing your own personal creation played by top players during the testing phase
- Your stages will be used in Cataclysm 5, a national tournament run by the mages!

All custom stages that make it to the very end will be tested in at least one small side tournament using good players to help us narrow it down and the videos will be posted. When we finally narrow it down to the 5 winners, a small tournament using only these custom stages will be played amongst other testing scenarios.

Why there's a contest:

Custom stages have yet to be used on a large scale and this give us an enormous opportunity to do so! Other successful competitive games, such as Starcraft and Halo, have used custom stages to great success. Many players in Brawl complain about stages like Green Greens, Norfair, Luigi's Mansion, Pictochat, and other stages and would like them to be removed. As stages are removed, the game "shrinks" a bit and we have less options. The ability to create custom stages is the first time we've ever been able to fix holes in the game ourselves by adding to the game.

Only the future will tell whether or not Customs will become a standard in the competitive scene. They are still very experimental, and this contest allows you to be part of the very beginning of custom stages. Who knows, the winners may very well be considered for future Custom Stage Projects.

Good luck to all the entrants!

Please post any questions, comments, or concerns here.

Q&A + neat info

Hilt on Olimar's pikmin said:
In the metallic background stages (the third one you can select) the falling blocks, moving platforms, , conveyor belt, and (I think) spikes don't have any changes. The ice blocks give an increase in blues and whites. Everything else gives an increase in yellows and purples. I'm not sure about the windmill but I'm pretty sure it does as well.

The equivilant of those stages on the second type of custom stages (I'm not sure what it is) gives an increase in whites and the sky background equivilant of them give an increase in nothing but there are 4 frames added to Olimar's pluck.
Is the doubles aspect of a stage going to be taken into account?

Doubles will not be taken into account for this. Any stage that is worthwhile for singles is naturally worthwhile for doubles; it just may not work in the same way as intended. In addition to this, doubles stages seem to have glitchy starting places and may not be suitable for competitive play; I am currently researching this issue.

Can the video have computer opponents, or is human opponent preferred?

Human opponents only please; computers don't give too much information.

How good of quality of film does it have to be?

Digital camera filmed by hand on a TV set is fine with me. As long as I can't say "I SEE BIGFOOT", you're in the clear. If you really have trouble recording, try saving a replay and sending it to a friend with a camera!

Do you have a list of what pieces give Olimar more Purple Pikmin?

I do not, but you can ask Hilt! I believe the "Metallic" background gives more purples.

Are their any pieces we can't use, such as ladders for example?

Everything is fair game, you just have to ask yourself if it adds to the game.

Would I be correct in assuming we should avoid having caves of life? (And thus pieces with both a solid top and bottom)

Everything is fair game, you just have to ask yourself it it adds to the game. Keep in mind this is competitive, and we've banned every stage that has a cave of life effect that is permanent; this makes it unlikely for a "cave of life" stage to win the contest.

How many stages can you enter?

As many as you want! Anyone can enter, including judges of this contest... except they can't vote on their own stages and I reserve the right to veto any stage I feel was let in unfairly (OWM too!). The purpose of this is to get a big list of competitive custom stages.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Good stuff OS, looking forward to seeing how this ends up working out. I'll probably try to get involved in this as well.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
this is an awesome idea, looking forward to seeing the submissions

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Okay, questions:

Would I be correct in assuming we should avoid having caves of life? (And thus pieces with both a solid top and bottom)

Overswarm

is laughing at you

Doubles will not be taken into account for this. Any stage that is worthwhile for singles is naturally worthwhile for doubles; it just may not work in the same way as intended. In addition to this, doubles stages seem to have glitchy starting places and may not be suitable for competitive play; I am currently researching this issue.

Human opponents only please; computers don't give too much information.

Digital camera filmed by hand on a TV set is fine with me. As long as I can't say "I SEE BIGFOOT", you're in the clear. If you really have trouble recording, try saving a replay and sending it to a friend with a camera!

I do not, but you can ask Hilt! I believe the "Metallic" background gives more purples.

Everything is fair game, you just have to ask yourself it it adds to the game. Keep in mind this is competitive, and we've banned every stage that has a cave of life effect that is permanent; this makes it unlikely for a "cave of life" stage to win the contest.

As many as you want! Anyone can enter, including judges of this contest... except they can't vote on their own stages and I reserve the right to veto any stage I feel was let in unfairly (OWM too!). The purpose of this is to get a big list of competitive custom stages.

person701

Smash Journeyman
About time this popped up. Brawl is a much different game than Melee and I've thought all along that it's should experiment with it's wide range of options it has. Anyways, hopefully I can find the time to contribute to this! =)

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
In the metallic background stages (the third one you can select) the falling blocks, moving platforms, , conveyor belt, and (I think) spikes don't have any changes. The ice blocks give an increase in blues and whites. Everything else gives an increase in yellows and purples. I'm not sure about the windmill but I'm pretty sure it does as well.

The equivilant of those stages on the second type of custom stages (I'm not sure what it is) gives an increase in whites and the sky background equivilant of them give an increase in nothing but there are 4 frames added to Olimar's pluck.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
About time this popped up. Brawl is a much different game than Melee and I've thought all along that it's should experiment with it's wide range of options it has. Anyways, hopefully I can find the time to contribute to this! =)
You've got until June 1st! plenty of time.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940

Alright, thanks.

That should probably be added to the OP.

person701

Smash Journeyman
You've got until June 1st! plenty of time.
Pssh, definitely! How should we focus our stages on though? Assuming the winning stage(s) of this compo will be used in the tourney, should we focus on more hardcore play? Or is it safe to make things fun so long as we avoid fight club like areas and the few ridiculous glitches that customs have?

Overswarm

is laughing at you
The contest will be judged by 10 tournament-attending players and TOs, with me being "the 11th man", essentially as a tie breaker.

If your stage is fun.... GREAT!

If your stage isn't competitive... good luck getting votes.

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
Must the stage be reproducible in vBrawl or is it ok if its merely playable without hacks? cuz if i could figure out how to hex edit the bin files themselves, i could get you a ton of good stages beyond the scope of normal inclusion

and somebodys managed to recreate fourside with custom stage pieces, so we can do basically anything there, but i guess outright hacking is out of the quesion :(

p.s. as a side but related note, might the BBR ever consider including hacked stages (via homebrew-less hacking and file replacement) as a competitive standard?

Overswarm

is laughing at you
While hacked stages might be awesome later, the trick is to start small.

I want everyone, even if they don't have a reliable internet connection or an SD card, to be able to make and practice these stages. That means that eeeeeeeeeveryone can simply see a screenshot, count the blocks, and make it at home.

The added benefit of them being vBrawl customs is that the scope is more limited, meaning more people are going to be able to actively pursue the contest. While hacked stages are definitely an option later in Brawl, I'd like to start much smaller.

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
ah, i hadnt considered that aspect

but how are you supposed to (re)create and use these stages without an sd card? :p

and theres already been a few people who got together and created a bunch of custom stages (for a 'pack' of sorts)...granted, they were created with stage studio, but they could be remade without any of the hacky elements with no loss of functionality (iirc). would they be eligible for the contest too?

either way, i plan to enter this, one way or another

Overswarm

is laughing at you
You open the stage builder and manually recreate the stage.

And yes, all stages that can be created on the Wii's natural stage builder are eligible.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I was JUST about to come in here and post "I enjoy your name, highfive".

and I'll do it PERFECTLY. I have a super secret OS high five that I've been practicing (seriously).

Overswarm

is laughing at you
You can.

Your stage just needs to be recreatable using the game's stage builder.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
We'll be putting those in ourselves after, more than likely, so go ahead.

I'll add this to the main post.
Good. Because for some reason, it appears that my game has decided to put a few of my spawn points in...odd places on my stage. >_<

On the other hand, from the few games I've played against someone who doesn't really know the game, the stage seems to work well. >_> <_<

Luxor

Smash Champion
I messed around long enough to decide that all there really is to do is tweak an existing stage. Almost anything "creative" you can do completely breaks MK. And everything else helps him.

Also, is it alright if the video is from wifi?

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I messed around long enough to decide that all there really is to do is tweak an existing stage. Almost anything "creative" you can do completely breaks MK. And everything else helps him.

Also, is it alright if the video is from wifi?
Wifi is fine; the video is merely meant to be something we can view away from a Wii to help us get a good idea of how the stage plays from someone who is comfortable on it.

Remember, you can enter as many stages as you want! Be creative, let the judges narrow it down if you're unsure. There's no cost but time for entries, and you can win a prize for each stage that wins... so you can win more than once!

omegawhitemage

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm glad to see that there are people interested in this! I'm proud to be involved and very excited to have the chance to be both a judge the the person responsible for the tournament. Good luck everyone!

krazyzyko

Smash Champion
I assume springs are not allowed, right?

Hey I have recreated non-hacked stages of the whole smash series (from 64 to Brawl) I'll see if I can get'em online :p

Luxor

Smash Champion

You can use springs, but they won't make the stage very competitive.

Basically, don't use springs.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Who knows? Springs might be a useful counter-pick option. We have Frigate Orpheon with a side that inhibits recovery, maybe a stage with one side allowing for EXTRA recovery would be nice?

Luxor

Smash Champion
Who knows? Springs might be a useful counter-pick option. We have Frigate Orpheon with a side that inhibits recovery, maybe a stage with one side allowing for EXTRA recovery would be nice?
I was thinking about doing that lol, until I realized that MK mains wouldn't hesitate to abuse it and time people out easily. Without MK this contest would be so much easier :mad:

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I was thinking about doing that lol, until I realized that MK mains wouldn't hesitate to abuse it and time people out easily. Without MK this contest would be so much easier :mad:
Timing people out will be something we'll definitely look into for each stage; don't want to make it too easy, non?

Don't be afraid to be creative though! You can upload as maaaaaaaany as you want, so if you think having spikes or springs could help but aren't sure, let the judges be the judge.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
So...anyone interested in being sent stages from me, filming a match against a player on them, uploading them to Youtube, and providing a download link for it? >_> I simply don't have the stuff required to upload the stage, and don't get out enough to smashfests/tournaments for a match to be recorded. And frankly, sending a replay of me destroying my sister at Brawl wouldn't show off the stage well: it would be a replay of an Ike 3 stocking a Sheik in under two minutes. lol

You can take the prizes if you want if I happen to win: I can't make it to the tournament and the VC points doesn't interest me that much. I'm more interested in the challenge of making stages that make it in.

Luxor

Smash Champion
I'd be happy to do that for you Nintendofreak, but my wifi isn't working well right now. >_> I'll tell if I can get it active, but until then we're both at a loss for this. Kind of a problem when you consider that we're basically the only two expressing interest in this contest right now lol.

This contest needs more publicity. Someone should sig it since hardly anyone looks in Stage Discussion.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Dang it.

I'm sitting on three CPs and one neutral right now. >_< Feel free to PM me once you get it up though. You just might end up being bombarded by stages though. lol.

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
Wow this sounds awesome. I make custom stages based on certain parts of other stages to practice on all the time. (Like Brinstar when the center is split and parts of Delfino and RC)
I'll have some fun with this.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Current Stage Count:

Neutrals:
Isolation - Music: Cavern. Name/Music combo should give you a general idea of the stage shape, without cave of life worries!
I've already forgotten the name of the other one...

Light CPs:
Ice Gully - Music: 1080 Snowboarding. Yays for using Ice Blocks and ramps together for an interesting feature!

CPs:
Playground - Music: Emerald Hill Zone. I think I managed to figure out a way to use conveyer belts and springs in a competitive stage!
Reactor Access - Music: Parasite Queen Boss Battle. Similar to Frigate Orpheon, but with several twists, including spikes!

Heavy CPs:
Inner Works (temp name, can't remember what I changed it to) - Music: Planet Colors. Air based fighting that doesn't focus on spiking. In fact, spiking barely works here!

I have too much time on my hands. And I still have how many months to tinker with stages? @_@

Top Bottom