• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BBR: Custom Stage Contest (used for Cataclysm 5!)

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
hmm. I am thinking of making a remake of 2 things

A remake of the n64 Hyrule castle, highly considered to be the most neutral stage in smash 64 (obvious neutral)

and a remake of Luigi's Mansion but with more of a separation between the three ceilings to prevent up Tilt spam (probable CP)

sunshade

Smash Ace
hmm. I am thinking of making a remake of 2 things

A remake of the n64 Hyrule castle, highly considered to be the most neutral stage in smash 64 (obvious neutral)

and a remake of Luigi's Mansion but with more of a separation between the three ceilings to prevent up Tilt spam (probable CP)
Go for it, but remember that brawl and smash 64 are very different games, and that Luigi's mansion has other issues besides bouncing off the ceiling.

A simple remake may not be enough. you might have to give or take a bit before it fits with brawl's competitive metagame.

2 cents

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
This thread needs more hype!!! I JUST found this thread after more than 2 months after it started... I only have a month and half (roughly) now to make one... Hmm... Sub Space had a lot of stages that went to waste... Wouldn't hurt to replicate them. :bee:

Edit: Hmmm, in the Brawl Stage Studio they give you a new piece you can use; a little hump. I guess you can't use that, huh?

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Yup. Nope's group and mine as well can. Just enter the stage and formally request it, then put "videos coming soon" in your submission.
I might have to take you up on that offer. It's been several weeks since I last contacted Nope, and I'm going to need those videos soon...

Overswarm

is laughing at you
My house is surrounded by trees, so I don't get too much in the way of an opportunity to play and record videos on them. I will when I can, but not unless I have a time to do so.

sunshade

Smash Ace
Might be extended, have to talk to a few people.
Could we remove the video requirement? The judges are all going to play the stages regardless. I don't see the benefit of forcing video submissions which will disqualify more than half the stages submitted to the contest.

I have about 4 more stages I could add to the contest that I feel are worthwhile. I have not submitted them because I didnt want to overload Nope anymore than I already have.

Also, would you have any idea what day the contest will be extended to if it were to be extended?

sunshade

Smash Ace
Cata5 was moved to some time this summer, I don't think they have announced the date for it yet.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Ok, second question: Walls are disliked due to allowing infinites. Is there a way to fix this (ice walls maybe) or do I have to abandon my stage idea (it cannot be reworked)?
And what's the difference between a pillar and making a pillar out of floor blocks?

Luxor

Smash Champion
A good custom competitive stage experiments with new platform layouts and stage structure. Walls, caves of life, extreme stage boundaries, extreme bias in terms of stage layout (waaay too flat or waaay too non-flat), or extreme use of physics not in 'standard' stages (springs, ice) are probably not good ideas. They can have their place when used correctly- one ice stage submission, by sunshade iirc, was quite nice- but in general these elements are 'bad.' Successful custom stages will be roughly as complex as Smashville, Battlefield, and the like IMO.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I understand that and I feel that, if it weren't for the wall infinites, I would have a great counter pick entry. Unfortunately though, the walls need to be in place for the rest of the stage to work out, so I'm asking, can the infinites be fixed without totally removing walls?
Stage pic:

The pillars change the edge game by removing easy kills. They also make recovery rather harder at times and so the one use drop blocks were added in. These can also be camped on for a short time to try and bait the opponent into a cheap stock loss but they would have to be a fool to fall for that so most of that sort of behavior takes place atop the pillars instead. The main stage is fairly wide and flat, giving a bit of a boost to fast characters like C.Falcon and Sonic. The central raised section allows for horizontal KOs from the center by changing the angle so that they hit over the pillars.

sunshade

Smash Ace
It can't hurt to try submitting but I would strongly suggest that you alter that stage.

The walls on the edge will cause the opposite effect on recovery you are hoping for. Edge guarders simply need to stand on the falling blocks and the majority of recovery options for most characters go away. Even ignoring the issues with recovery, the walls will play a massive part on the inside of the stage as well.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Yes, the stage needs altering but I don't feel that that's really what is wrong with it. If they hog the block, you have a better chance of being able to land on the pillar and if that fails, it doesn't take much to keep them from getting off the falling block to take them down with you. It makes the edge game more interesting.

Yes, the walls affect inside play aswell. They remove the possibility of horizontal KOs with non-upward angled moves (Kirby has no problem) from anywhere but the center. That is why the central area is raised like that. That and to deflect certain projectiles and thus make spamming harder.

What I'm asking is how to alter it without destroying the concept (the blocks are changeable but the cannot be done away with). I've considered this but I don't believe the rules allow it:

sunshade

Smash Ace
If you really want to keep the walls then I would suggest you go with the following stage design. The walls can be grabbed so now in the event that the falling blocks are gone characters still have options to get back to the stage. In addition falling blocks are inside the center to prevent wall infinites.

sunshade

Smash Ace
Ice blocks don't change anything in regards to wall infinites.

Both falling blocks, and moving blocks have their flaws.

Life

Smash Hero
Perhaps put an empty space there with a pass-through platform below to prevent spikes, and then make the second blocks in pass-through to prevent walls? Or maybe that'll be too good for camping.

sunshade

Smash Ace
If you are talking about the stage being like the following image (Player 1 being Dedede Player 2 being the victim) then King Dedede can still chaingrab the person over that gap.

Ganonsburg

Smash Lord
Could you put blocks on both sides of the rightmost block there (so one under P2, and one on the other side of the P1 block), and delete the P1 block? In that case, you could still infinite on the wall technically, but no one really has an excuse for being caught in it.

TimeTemporal

Smash Cadet
Quick question; can we upload our entries to the stage browser here at Smashboards instead of putting them up at some other site?

@Sunshine
I've used the slanted platform (pass-through variety) to block characters before. You might be able to replace the pillars with them. Or perhaps you could have a conveyor belt pull people away from the pillars?

sunshade

Smash Ace
Could you put blocks on both sides of the rightmost block there (so one under P2, and one on the other side of the P1 block), and delete the P1 block? In that case, you could still infinite on the wall technically, but no one really has an excuse for being caught in it.
That would stop the issues with the wall and would probably be a much better option than the falling blocks. Although I prefer Timetemporals suggestion over both.

Quick question; can we upload our entries to the stage browser here at Smashboards instead of putting them up at some other site?

@Sunshine
I've used the slanted platform (pass-through variety) to block characters before. You might be able to replace the pillars with them. Or perhaps you could have a conveyor belt pull people away from the pillars?
The pillar (if I remember correctly) takes up the slots next to it and as a result prevents a slanted block from being placed. However if the pillar were replaced with regular blocks then this would work just fine.

I would make pictures to illustrate but I am away from my main computer and I don't want to install the stage maker on a friends computer.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
The conveyor isn't exactly ideal because it doesn't reach the same height as the regular flooring. I'll try the slanted drop through blocks, though I won't really be able to tell if the fix anything or not.

What's the difference between a pillar and two floor blocks anyway?

EDIT: Tried this:

And the ledge grabbing made cheap wins too easy.

Then tried this:

And realised I could crouch and camp under the pass through platform in a broken fashion.

So I went on to this:

Which screwed up the edgeguarding game something dire and allowed for bizarre "ceiling infinites".

Would either of these 2 be any better?

sunshade

Smash Ace
Use the second diagram and replace the slanted platforms with a solid half block.

You will maintain the walled off feel you were going for that way and remove the issue of wall shenanigans and the slant camping. (how can you even camp in little slants like that anyways? I can't even think of a way in theory where that would be helpful)

ryuu seika

Smash Master
You will maintain the walled off feel you were going for that way and remove the issue of wall shenanigans and the slant camping.
Yeah, I guess it could work. I don't like it because the walls feel too low then but it seems like the best option. What's the difference between solid slants and stairs?

how can you even camp in little slants like that anyways? I can't even think of a way in theory where that would be helpful
As Kirby I can crouch there and hit anyone ontop or infront of it without them being able to hit me and that allows for either nice follow ups or running to the other side. As long as I'm ahead, they have to approach as projectiles can't hit me there.

sunshade

Smash Ace
Yeah, I guess it could work. I don't like it because the walls feel too low then but it seems like the best option. What's the difference between solid slants and stairs?
I think the slants, angle your character up like when you are on the hill in distant planet. The stairs (I think) dont.

TimeTemporal

Smash Cadet
How about DK music? What with Donkey Kong getting walls to work with and all, Storm Hill or something would seem fitting.

sunshade

Smash Ace
I didn't even put music in my stage submissions. Music is so up to opinion I felt leaving that up to the discretion of others would be better. when you do pick a song try to pick a song that fits the stage as opposed to a song you enjoy listening to (although doing both would be ideal).

Top Bottom