• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BBR: Custom Stage Contest (used for Cataclysm 5!)

krazyzyko

Smash Champion
-The "sky" background may look pretty, but it causes lag for Olimar's pikmin pluck. This makes it an unlikely choice as a starter, and having a stage deliberately screw over one character is tough to swallow when creating a counterpick.

-Olimar's pikmin are determined by the stage you are on. Depending on how the stage is created, giving Olimar more purples may be a huge balance change. Be sure to consider this!

Do you have a list of what pieces give Olimar more Purple Pikmin?

I do not, but you can ask Hilt! I believe the "Metallic" background gives more purples.
So basically, the starter stage winner will have to be on the "dark cave" background or it will be modified towards it to be more fair and neutral.

C~Dog

Smash Champion
Is it worth entering the contest if there is absolutely no chance that I can actual attend to the tournament to recieve my highfive?

C~Dog

Smash Champion
In the slim event of me winning, would we be able to arrange some sort of internet highfive?

Nope

Smash Lord
If you don't have a method to record, or friends to play with I will be willing to help you! Just send me a PM and a download link to your stage. I'll download it, then myself and my crew will play test it and upload it on YouTube!!! Your name and all your information will be posted in the side bar.

I don't want to see any excuses for not entering this contest!

OS you can add that to the main post as well if you would like.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
If you don't have a method to record, or friends to play with I will be willing to help you! Just send me a PM and a download link to your stage. I'll download it, then myself and my crew will play test it and upload it on YouTube!!! Your name and all your information will be posted in the side bar.

I don't want to see any excuses for not entering this contest!

OS you can add that to the main post as well if you would like.
What if you can't upload it to the internet? :(

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I'm going to test variations of two concepts of mine and see what happens. Expect an analysis in the next couple days.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
How can we "upload" them for you?

You can make them on an online stage builder and e-mail the file.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
I was thinking the Wii FC exchange + Brawl FC exchange -> Download to SD card -> Upload to hosting site method. For a few of the moving pieces, I have them perfectly in sync with each other.

However, I'll try to find one of those online stage builder thingys.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Macs are dumb. This is the official Overswarm position.
PCs are crap that get viruses even if I run two different anti-virus software programs every week. This is the official Niddo position because I didn't enjoy my XP computer getting stuck on the log-in screen thanks to a virus.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I work in IT and remove the viruses by editing my registry keys manually, so I don't have those problems. ;)

But seriously, just draw it out on paper or something at the very least; It's in grid format, so getting someone else to make it is possible.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
You can't put water in the custom stage for the contest, but you can certainly make your own stage for this based off that concept!

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
I work in IT and remove the viruses by editing my registry keys manually, so I don't have those problems. ;)

But seriously, just draw it out on paper or something at the very least; It's in grid format, so getting someone else to make it is possible.
*sigh*

I'll go try to dig up a camera. lol.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
It's a grid, you can make it in microsoft paint =P
Camera would be better. Removes any chance of confusion.

Besides, my MS Paint skills remind me of a three year old finger painting after accidently drinking the left over beer from a discarded beer can during a party.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Contest date: Feb. 08th until June 1st, 2010

No restrictions, just know that this has to be competitive in nature!

Nicole

Smash Champion
OS, have you posted this competition anywhere else? I fear that few people are adventurous enough to make their way to the stage discussion boards. I also haven't looked around for it anywhere else, so I might've just asked a stupid question.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
OS, have you posted this competition anywhere else? I fear that few people are adventurous enough to make their way to the stage discussion boards. I also haven't looked around for it anywhere else, so I might've just asked a stupid question.
A lot of people haven't; I'd like to get an announcement posted. feel free to spread it around. :)

I have absolutly no ability to place videos to represent this stage except against CPUs and it would have to be connected through wiiconnect24. Video sharing between wiis.

I also do not have the ability to send people a downloadable link either.

Therefore, I am resorting to the old method of I paint out a stage and describe it for others to recreate. Hopefully, I will someday get someone to contact to get these up on the internet, but as of now, I have no one.

White Space = nothing
Red Space = Regular block
Blue Space = Platform (The platform that is not angled, or sticks in the middle of the space, the one that sticks to the top of the space)

Info: This is the stage I have designed to be a neutral stage. The stage is created on the modern/futuristic background using the medium size stage option.

The stage has been created to mimic the ceiling of Final Destination when playing on the regular blocked part of the stage. If you take a point from the edge of the regular blocked part of the stage to the nearest side boundary it will mimic the same on final destination. In short, the blast zones on the side and ceiling are nearly identical to that of final destination.

The stage is designed in a manner to mimic the traits of BF and Final Destination and Yoshi's Island (Brawl).
  • The long sides of the stage enable a large area for people to wall jump just like in yoshi's island (brawl) stage. It also takes away the negitive impacts FD and BF have had on recoveries getting caught on the underside of those two stages.
  • The area just under the platforms allow for a long flat area for people to fight upon.
  • The high platforms near each ledge adds an extra element and option to many character recoveries.
  • The a low central platform in combination with the high side platforms enables some more aerial based fights than simple grounded ones.
  • The varying level of the platforms (espically the lower platform) gives many characters without the access to a projectile the abilty to approach characters with a projectile somewhat safely. As well as adding an element of avoidence (such as in the case against the IC's chaingrab).
This is really all I have for the stage as of now as I cannot throughly test it out with other human players to see what might come out of this.

*Note: Sadly to say that due to having to use a medium stage to mimic the blast zones of final destination, the size of the stage enables characters with access to a glide the ability to stall somewhat by gliding down all the way, coming up underneath the stage and to the other side. I believe this can be fixed by simply invoking the ruleset rule of no stalling.

Crow!

Smash Lord
Oh wow, I didn't notice that this thread existed separately from the submission thread... I'd probably have posted my submissions here first until there were videos up for them.

I'll just update with vids once I get them.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
You're fine crow ^_^

You gotta say which ones are Starter and which ones are Counter though ;)

prOAPC

Smash Lord
i want to submit my own stage, but i have a couple of questions befor i upload something.
1) At first sight it looks like a Started, but there are a lot minor details that make the stage a counterpick. If i explain all this details, can you (judges) decide if it is a starter or a counterpick?
2) Do slopes help characterers like DDD of Falco with their chaingrabs?

I made the stage with Stage Studio so i have to study the bounderies and blast zones before i post the stage here

Overswarm

is laughing at you
1) At first sight it looks like a Started, but there are a lot minor details that make the stage a counterpick. If i explain all this details, can you (judges) decide if it is a starter or a counterpick?
2) Do slopes help characterers like DDD of Falco with their chaingrabs?
I'd like you to put it in as a starter OR counterpick. This will help the judges play it with an idea of how the stage should play in mind.

If you are torn as to what it should be, you can edit out the "counterpick parts" to make a similar "starter style" stage and hten upload both the modified stage and the original "counterpicky stage" as separate entrants.

Slopes can both help or hurt those characters, dependinng on the size of the slope and the direction they're going.

sunshade

Smash Ace
Sorry if this has already been answered before but is there a group of skilled players I could submit my stage to and have test my stage who would then later allow the matches to be uploaded? I personally am not the most gifted player and I would prefer a better representation of a real match for my submission video.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Yup. Nope's group and mine as well can. Just enter the stage and formally request it, then put "videos coming soon" in your submission.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Yup. Nope's group and mine as well can. Just enter the stage and formally request it, then put "videos coming soon" in your submission.
Are you sure Nope is still doing that? I sent him a request by public message, but I'm not sure if he's gotten it or not. It was last month I believe as well...

Top Bottom