• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project Volnutt - Currently seeking animators!

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic

Yes, like Zero before him, MegaMan Volnutt is ready to make the jump into brawl! I plan to use this topic to keep everyone posted on progress (and have a thread full of people complaining that I'm not getting enough done to motivate me)

Volnutt is currently a model swap over the Blue Alloy, although I'd like to try to get it over a real character once I find one that works.

I've decided to swap over Olimar, so Volnutt can use specials, shields, etc. and use the Pikmin's articles as projectiles.

I've decided to swap over ROB instead, he has just as many articles and there aren't infinity billion hacks already on him.

THE TEAM

Head:
digiholic

Animators:
Xigger
EdgyBluz
Kei_Takaro
Emeril127

Texturers:
Oni K4ge

Also, I've asked Fortwaffles for so much help, he might as well be a teammate.

THE MOVES

MegaMan Volnutt will be a control character, sort of similar to Zero. He'll lack in kill power, but will dominate the battlefield with his ranged game and combat options. Unlike Zero, who keeps control due to his amazing mobility, Volnutt will make use of spacer attacks with fixed knockbacks to keep his opponents at bay.

The finalized moveset will rely heavily on wether or not I can figure out a weapon switching method. I've found that I can scale the weapon bones to 0 in specific animations, meaning, if worst comes to worst, I could just make three sets of animations for his specials.

Remember that I am open to all suggestions on the moveset, and this is in no way finalized.

Special moves (tentative):
Neutral-B (all weapons) - Mega Buster. A simple charged shot, similar to Samus's, but with one major difference: Volnutt can move freely while charging. Before you go off screaming "Broken!" know that he will not be able to save his shot by shielding. Meaning, if you want to keep your shot with you, you'll need to hold onto the B button for dear life.

Down-B (all weapons) - Weapon Change. Volnutt cycles through his weapons, cycling in the order Machine Gun - Shield - Drill. This move has almost no lag at all to encourage frequent weapon switching. The different weapons change Volnutt's Side-B and Up-B moves. Can be done in the air.

Side-B(Machine Gun arm) - Volnutt fires a burst of bullets. They will cause a small amount of stagger, no more than Falco's Laser, but will deal decent damage. Great for pressuring shields and disrupting recoveries.

Side-B(Shield arm) - Volnutt activates his shield and pushes forward slightly. The shield reflects any projectiles it connects with. If an enemy is in contact with Volnutt when he activates the attack, they are sent back horizontally with a high, but fixed, knockback. This attack has a decent amount of lag between it, enough to punish with an attack but not so much that it becomes worthless for reflecting.

Side-B(Drill arm) - Volnutt stabs forward with his drill. This attack has a slow startup, and a lot of end lag, but is one of Volnutt's most reliable kill moves. It will hit multiple times, the last one dealing knockback.

Up-B(Machine Gun arm) - While on the ground, Volnutt will fire straight down, creating explosions that cover either side of him. This attack plays out similarly to Link's grounded Up-B, with a series of small hits and one kockback hit at the end. When used in the air, Volnutt's shots will propel him upward a ways. This attack will give him the least distance with his recovery, but doesn't cause him to go into fallspecial, allowing him to protect against edgeguards.

Up-B(Shield arm) - To be honest, I have no idea what I can do here.

Up-B(Drill arm) - Volnutt drills upward. This attack has similar properties to his Side-B, but has less knockback. Volnutt has slight control over his lateral distance with this move, making recovery easier.

Final Smash - Max Shining Laser. Volnutt will uppercut in front of him. If it connects, the enemy is pushed above him, where he unleashes a huge laser beam upward. The laser will hurt any enemy it connects with, but Volnutt will not fire if his initial uppercut misses.

MILESTONES

Playable over an alloy
Playable over a normal character
Vertex edited to scale
Custom animations completed
Movement, jumping, etc.
-Wait1
-Wait2
-Wait3
-Wait4
-WalkBrake
-WalkFast
-WalkMiddle
-WalkSlow
-Dash
-Run
-RunBrake
-Turn
-TurnRun
-TurnRunBrake
-JumpAerialB
-JumpAerialF
-JumpB
-JumpF
-JumpSquat
-DamageFall
-Fall
-FallAerial
-FallAerialB
-FallAerialF
-FallB
-FallF
-LandingHeavy
-LandingLight
-Squat
-SquatRv
-SquatWait
-SquatWait2
-StepAirPose
-StepBack
-StepFall
-StepJump
-StepPose
-Guard
-GuardOff
-GuardOn
-GuardDamage
-EscapeAir
-EscapeB
-EscapeF
-EscapeN
-Rebound
Weapon switching mechanism discovered in PSA
Moveset finalized
Moveset completed

CURRENT TASK

Team:
Create animations

digiholic:
Create animations/start PSA

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
A NOTE TO ASPIRING ANIMATORS:
If you want to make an animation, feel free to download the motionetc and try your hand at one of the animations found in the reference video here.

RELEASES:
http://www.mediafire.com/?tywm2ommdm2
Currently final model/pcs/pac/motionetc
LAST UPDATED 5/04

FitZakoGirl00.pac, with Volnutt's unscaled model.
FitZakoGirlMotion.pac, with two single-frame animations so far.

http://www.mediafire.com/?4zzyimodrmw Volnutt as ROB with a renamed TopN bone. Doesn't work, but I'm mainly uploading this to see if anyone else is crashing simply by selecting him.

http://www.mediafire.com/?njt4nwyf5ey This is the slightly more working version of the above.

Oni K4ge

Smash Lord
AWESOME! Also, why is his name Volnutt? He looks like the guy from Megaman 64... is Volnutt his real name?

Rudra

Smash Ace
Volnutt/Megaman Trigger/64 Megaman, call him what you want lol
I cant wait to see how this works out

Smash Bro

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, Volnutt! I never really liked Megaman, but I gotta admit, Volnutt's pretty awesome. My favourite character in TvsC, rivaling Zero. So glad they're both making their way into Brawl!

Eggman

Smash Apprentice
Man, I am really digging this. Please don't just hype this up and drop it like a week or two later :p You have my full support, and I can help with anything that doesn't have to do with PSA or the model (music, icon, etc.)

Sora Master2.0

Smash Journeyman
When you say shield o you mean another hand? Because I dont remeber a shield in TvC. Memory doesnt serve. =/
Also, I would LOVE to help you, but I'm kinda bust with a whole bunch of stuff, I have no idea what I'm doing, and I'm fixing my computer. =/
Good luck. I support this. =]

Getsuei-Moon

Smash Cadet
YESHHH!!!! dude i total support this.
and what some others said, dont get everyone hyped up then drop him(makes people sad)
but yea when and if i get a new computer ill love to help out.
BTW, did u figure out how to give Alloys specials?(B-moves)

Owa5489

Smash Cadet
1000% support.. Good to know there's still old school fans out there.

MML... one of the best told stories in video game history!

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
Digiholic did not, Mr. Weegee did, but it doesn't work very well yet. He's working on it.
What he said.

When you say shield o you mean another hand? Because I dont remeber a shield in TvC. Memory doesnt serve. =/
http://iplaywinner.com/picture/megaman-weaponattack-4.png?pictureId=4258137&asGalleryImage=true&__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1264207370402
Remember harder.

Man, I am really digging this. Please don't just hype this up and drop it like a week or two later :p You have my full support, and I can help with anything that doesn't have to do with PSA or the model (music, icon, etc.)
I don't intend to. I started this topic mainly so people can keep pestering me if I miss updates. However, Bioshock 2 just came out, so forgive me if things are bit slow to get
started.

And remember people, if you're capable of vertex scaling a character, please let me know. No matter what I try to do, Volnutt just ends up a jagged mess.

Overdrive64

Smash Journeyman
I have a suggestion, make his taunts change weapon (3 taunts 3 weapons). Then vB is still a useable move

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
MILESTONE REACHED!

A list of characters Volnutt's model has been tested on. Green means it works perfectly, Orange means it has some fault, Red means it is unplayable.

Captain Falcon
Dedede
Diddy Kong
Donkey Kong
Falco
Fox
Ganondorf
Ike
Kirby
Bowser (Loads just fine, but has a wierd orange glow. Looks kinda cool, actually)
Link (similar problem to above, but deep red instead)
Lucario
Lucas
Luigi
Mario
Marth
Meta-Knight
Ness (same texture bug)
Peach
Pikachu
Olimar
Pit
Jigglypuff
ROB
Samus
Sheik
Snake
Sonic
Zero Suit Samus (Kind of funny, but Volnutt walks around with a pistol hovering in front of him. Also, the screen jitters)
Toon Link
Wario
Wolf
Yoshi
Zelda
Reviewing this list, I've decided that I'm going to model swap over Olimar. His Pikmin will serve me well being model swapped into projectiles.

n64billy

Smash Ace
MILESTONE REACHED!

Reviewing this list, I've decided that I'm going to model swap over Olimar. His Pikmin will serve me well being model swapped into projectiles.
Haha! Reminded me of "Achievement unlocked" from the 360 :p
I personally thought that ROB would've been been a better choice (Since Megaman/Volnutt is a robotish person themself), and you could insert the models if you really needed too. Also, no one I think has ever started making a replacement for ROB. So I personally would suggest trying to add more model parts onto Rob, and if that works, then going with him. Your project though..

Can't wait for more progress on this! :3

Kei_Takaro

Smash Lord
(Shield Arm) UpB - Power Leap
Volnutt can charge like Luigi's SideB charge animation and then leap up and bashes down with his shield like Kirby
It has spiking property on air
It creates a powerful windbox like Tink's dair upon landing when using it on the ground

or.. his shield is able to magnetize on walls and ceilings like a tether recovery lol

I like the sliding for downB :D

ROB, Olimar or Zelda would be nice

EDIT: You gonna put sound replacements in milestone?

toddtj

Smash Apprentice
Having the d-pad(taunts) be essential to gameplay is annoying- it's just not comfortable... I would prefer vB switching weapons and whatever idea you have for the slide, being on dash attack, if anything.

This sounds like an extremely fun character, so far. I hope he gets completed.

Kei_Takaro

Smash Lord
Actually, if you were to put vB as the weapon switcher, you would have fastfalled in midair when switching as it seems its unavoidable (unless switching can only be done on the ground)

Fen__

Smash Ace
Actually, if you were to put vB as the weapon switcher, you would have fastfalled in midair when switching as it seems its unavoidable (unless switching can only be done on the ground)
Holding down doesn't necessarily cause fastfall, only smashing down does. The problem with using the taunts for weapon switching would be that it causes lag between movement and weapon switching (since you have to move your left thumb to do so, unless you want to do something really odd). He's already said that the move will have little lag so as to encourage frequent use. Frequently moving between the analog stick and d-pad just isn't feasible in this case. Being able to switch weapons in a non-cyclic manner and have another special would be nice, but I'll sacrifice it if it means the intended gameplay will actually be feasible. I vote to go with toddtj's method and continue as planned with having down-B as a cyclic weapon switch and the dash attack as the classic slide.

Kei_Takaro

Smash Lord
Well if ever they implement taunt as wep. switching, it'd probably make sense to have little to no lag since the input comes from the analog to the dpad which kinda creates lag in itself actually lol.

On cyclic switching using vB, I would actually think it would create fastfall (either I forget how to vBrawl or i'm just too used to Brawl+)
There could be a problem in switching from A to C, but meh thats just me

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Woo! Finally my boy Megaman joins the Brawl! And best of all it's my favorite one, Rock Volnutt! This looks rather pro--

MegaMan Volnutt will be a control character, sort of similar to Zero. He'll lack in kill power, but will dominate the battlefield with his ranged game and combat options. Unlike Zero, who keeps control due to his amazing mobility, Volnutt will make use of spacer attacks with fixed knockbacks to keep his opponents at bay
...*facepalm* Nonono...not ANOTHER "Hard to kill with" character. Haven't all of you people made enough of those by now? T__T I'm particularly wincing at the idea of "fixed knockback". What's the point of him even racking any damage then? The opponent won't go any farther. -.o

Unless of course I'm missing something completely. If so, just explain it and I'll disregard my slight negativity. This is still kickass though, especially since he's replacing that **** Olimar who stole his spot int he game int he first place. XD

diosensakiara

Smash Apprentice
hmmm,i REALLY dont want to replace Olimar,but replacing Jigglypuf would be the best
i cant stand using her,you think you could use jiggly instead? =/

luigiman1928

Smash Ace
This is the BEST THING SICE SLICABLE BREAD. Megaman, in brawl!! (just wish it was classic) CAPCOM APPROVES.

I support this 200%

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
Woo! Finally my boy Megaman joins the Brawl! And best of all it's my favorite one, Rock Volnutt! This looks rather pro--

...*facepalm* Nonono...not ANOTHER "Hard to kill with" character. Haven't all of you people made enough of those by now? T__T I'm particularly wincing at the idea of "fixed knockback". What's the point of him even racking any damage then? The opponent won't go any farther. -.o

Unless of course I'm missing something completely. If so, just explain it and I'll disregard my slight negativity. This is still kickass though, especially since he's replacing that **** Olimar who stole his spot int he game int he first place. XD
By "fixed knockback" I mean he has a lot of moves that are good spacers, but not good for killing. He'll still have the usual kill moves. Hard to kill with might have also been a misnomer, it should rather be "hard to kill with conventionally" since I intend to give Volnutt a good spike, and his fast spacers get opponents over open air easily. But, hey, this is why we have discussion, to come up with ideas better than each of us had individually.

Everything people are saying about taunts vs Down-B
Both of them seem to have their upsides and downsides. I think, what I could do, is have two different versions of his PAC, one with taunt switching, one with special switching and let the players decide. I'd need to finalize a down-B idea first, though.

(Shield Arm) UpB - Power Leap
Volnutt can charge like Luigi's SideB charge animation and then leap up and bashes down with his shield like Kirby
It has spiking property on air
It creates a powerful windbox like Tink's dair upon landing when using it on the ground

or.. his shield is able to magnetize on walls and ceilings like a tether recovery lol

I like the sliding for downB :D

ROB, Olimar or Zelda would be nice

EDIT: You gonna put sound replacements in milestone?
I like that leap idea, but the magnet seems good too. I was considering a tether recovery from the start, for variety and giving Volnutt a hard-to-gimp recovery.

I personally thought that ROB would've been been a better choice (Since Megaman/Volnutt is a robotish person themself), and you could insert the models if you really needed too. Also, no one I think has ever started making a replacement for ROB. So I personally would suggest trying to add more model parts onto Rob, and if that works, then going with him. Your project though..
You know, you make a good point. I don't want people to have to choose which Olimar to choose, and I think ROB has enough articles for me to replace. I think I'll go with that.

Well, i guess ill be the guy to scale it

I PMed the model to you a few days ago, it hasn't changed since then. I can handle the incredibly tedious copy-pasting of the vertex groups, but I think I just keep missing something in the preliminary steps.

Oni K4ge

Smash Lord
It's the Megaman 64 one, yes. People use his last name to differentiate him from other MegaMen.
Ah. Well, when you can scale him up, I'll download. For now, Isaac is gonna hold onto Blue Alloy for a little while longer. :p I will be keeping a close eye on this project, though, and if you need any help *coughrecolorsorcsseditscough*, shoot me a pm.

EDIT: Oh and about finalizing a down special, try a protoman shield that works like Pit's.

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
woah, woah, brainwave! I think I've figured out what I've been doing wrong vertex editing this whole time! I might not need Fortwaffles to do it for me.

It turns out, when I was using the "copy from x index to y index" function on my hex editor, it was snagging one byte too many.

POLYGONS SCALED SO FAR: 120/120
COMPLETE!

SCALING BONE TRANSLATIONS...

FISSION MAILED. Still screwed up.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
By "fixed knockback" I mean he has a lot of moves that are good spacers, but not good for killing. He'll still have the usual kill moves. Hard to kill with might have also been a misnomer, it should rather be "hard to kill with conventionally" since I intend to give Volnutt a good spike, and his fast spacers get opponents over open air easily. But, hey, this is why we have discussion, to come up with ideas better than each of us had individually.
I understand that, and I'm saying I don't like that idea. What's the point of having a lot of moves that don't do anything? Not killing = practically useless in my book. It's okay to have just a few moves that knock the opponent away, but I want kills. Not just tons and tons of damage racking attacks or GTFO moves. XD And if by "conventionally" you mean killing from the side or above, that's giving an even more negative impression on me. It's freakin' Megaman we're talking about here. Blasting an enemy off the side is only common sense for him. Also

You know, you make a good point. I don't want people to have to choose which Olimar to choose, and I think ROB has enough articles for me to replace. I think I'll go with that.
Oh no you don't! While ROB is rather useless, I'd much rather have him than the completely random "What the hell are you doing in this game" character Olimar. Stick with replacing him please. I'm definitely sure more people could handle keeping ROB over Olimar and getting someone better like Megaman.

Those who can't can get over it. XD *SMACKED*

Fen__

Smash Ace
There are already several (good) characters being worked on over Olimar (Ridley comes to mind). I don't want to have to choose between them. Also, I have a friend that mains Olimar. I play ROB for fun sometimes, but Volnutt appeals to me more due to the playstyle. I like your ideas. Go with ROB imo. Not crazy about either of the proposed shield up-B's, though.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Fen, Ridley is being done on Red Alloy. Not Olimar. O_o

Did you mean Meta-Ridley? Cause he's on Olimar. o.o

Oni K4ge

Smash Lord
Wait, I have a Meta Ridley that goes over Blue Alloy... got it from ESH. Has there been further work on it?

Oni K4ge

Smash Lord
Nice! I downloaded the other files too, but theres only 2 animations, so I guess I'll wait until more animations are complete until I actually use this. Since this is going over Olimar, would you mind if I make some official recolors once the download for the scaled model is up?

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
Nice! I downloaded the other files too, but theres only 2 animations, so I guess I'll wait until more animations are complete until I actually use this. Since this is going over Olimar, would you mind if I make some official recolors once the download for the scaled model is up?
Well, I'm not sure if it'll be over Olimar or ROB yet. The animations were mainly placeholders to see if he animated in game normally, and to avoid the "Jesus pose" as my roommate so eloquently referred to it. I'll post the new model up after I'm done with class in about two hours.

Oh, and not sure if anyone saw it, but our current taks has been updated.
CURRENT TASK

Discuss possible moveset directions before we get in too deep to change. We must also finalize who we'll be swapping over.
So, let's start getting some dialogue going. How do you see Volnutt in brawl? Post anything you got. Loose ideas, data figures, full movesets, whatever. I'm hoping to have hashed out his entire moveset before I begin work on animations or PSA so I won't need to change much if a new idea comes along.

Oh, and we need to decide once and for all if he's gonna be a ROB swap or an Olimar swap.

Oni K4ge

Smash Lord
Ah, ok. Well, I vote Olimar, for I play as him less than I play ROB. But I dont have Pikmin so maybe thats why. Honestly, I dont play either of them often. But I personally would rather have ROB. I'll be willing to make the complete CSS pack etc, once more animations are completed, and some recolors too, maybe. I really should try and update Dr Mario's moveset.

Top Bottom