• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project Volnutt - Currently seeking animators!

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
Why not just make the animations? Thats what I did with my Toad project.
I am, but the ones I haven't changed yet (all of them as of now) are the default character's, which won't load on Volnutt's bone structure.

try naming the TopN bone or something
Does it matter which one? Could I just rename one of his dummy bones that doesn't do anything?

fortwaffles

Smash Ace
I am, but the ones I haven't changed yet (all of them as of now) are the default character's, which won't load on Volnutt's bone structure.

Does it matter which one? Could I just rename one of his dummy bones that doesn't do anything?
name the very first bone he has TopN

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
I'm beginning to think my SD card is dying. It just randomly freezes when I try to do anything. I'm going to give it a rest and try again later.

EDIT: Okay, I think I may have just experienced the strangest glitch I've ever experienced in all of my hacking days. Whenever I select ROB and move my control hand over to turn on Player 4 as a com, I get a freeze. The music still plays (custom music even) but the game is completely frozen.

EDIT AGAIN: Has anyone ever heard of a character pac being so ****ed up that even his selection portrait screws up the game?

EDIT THE THIRD: Gah, forget it. I'm going to bed. I'll upload the ROB pac on the front page (if you want to test it on someone else, just extract the model and texture data[0] from it) and see if you can figure it out.

joshl94

Smash Apprentice
yea i have that freeze before but i have no idea why it does that.
i tried to switch ikes down smash with his neutral b a while ago and it froze when i tried to select ike.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Digi, have you done anything in PSA? If so, were you using 1.3 or 0.2.1? If you used 1.3, then that's the problem, as it has a bug where it corrupts the moveset file when you save and freezes that exact way when you select the character you changed.

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
Digi, have you done anything in PSA? If so, were you using 1.3 or 0.2.1? If you used 1.3, then that's the problem, as it has a bug where it corrupts the moveset file when you save and freezes that exact way when you select the character you changed.

Nothing in PSA at all. And I've got the good version, anyway.

EDIT: I knew I wouldn't be able to put this down for the night. I've manged to get Blue Alloy working again, even with the TopN bone made, but I've still got polygon stretching problems.

Fen__

Smash Ace
I'm having the same problem with my toad! I can see the link: all third party models are not running. they just jog in place. This is a glitch that needs to bee fixed!
Except it's not that all third party models aren't running.

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
I'll have to test it later (or you could download the slightly-more-working ROB build on the front page and test it)

Just a word of warning: While progress has been (relatively) quick for the past few days, my weekends are actually quite full of other things. So, don't expect a whole lot for the next three days, but I'll be back full swing on Monday.

mariorocks64

Smash Journeyman
Except it's not that all third party models aren't running.
They run, but they don't move while running or walking. only dashing will make them move, and that doesn't count since their slightly off the ground for a second. For example: When metaknight dashes, he passes a bananapeel without slipping. it was said in smash wiki.

Leo Kitsune

Smash Apprentice
I was thinking of doing that for Kei_Takaro's shield up-B idea, like he boosts up, and dives down with his shield.
They're skate shoes, not rocket boots. Doesn't really work that way. Volnutt does jump high though. The skate shoes thing needs to be his dash.

Kei_Takaro

Smash Lord
They're skate shoes, not rocket boots. Doesn't really work that way. Volnutt does jump high though. The skate shoes thing needs to be his dash.
Story-wise: That would be an ideal and technically correct suggestion
however I find it less appealing IMO when he dashes with skates (that 1 framed animation where he just stands and puts his foot forward)

janfeae

Smash Apprentice
To all the people debating over characters, almas made a code for such an occasion... Great job btw Digiholic. I hope he has a full set of animations!

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
Okay, so does anyone have any idea how to fix the polygon stretching? Even if it's just a shot-in-the-dark idea that you came up with with no knowledge of hacking at all. I just need to try stuff until it works.

I can't really get much further without fixing it...

Shadowbolt

Smash Ace
Even if it's just a shot-in-the-dark idea that you came up with with no knowledge of hacking at all.
You asked for it! xD

Maybe moving a certain part of Volnutt's body is linked to the rest of him, and moving it a certain way makes it try to pull his entire body with him.

Shot in the dark. :D

Fen__

Smash Ace
Wasn't there a similar stretching problem before (but much more severe)? What was the solution then? I think it had something to do with the game not knowing where bones went or something, and so it stretched the texture in seemingly random directions.

TommoPuppy

Smash Lord
NNID
Tommohawk
Once when I was little, I was sick and I rented Diddy Kong Racing. I got pretty far in a few days, then I lost my save file and had to start all over. However, I got back to where I was in less than a day. I'm not saying you should start all over, but if you do at least you'll get to where you were faster. But then I guess you won't find out what went wrong this time... hmm

DoB04

Smash Journeyman
well he'd need fortwaffles to rescale the model to normal size again, since he wasn't able to do it on his own... but yeah maybe you should attempt that and backup the model once its scaled in case you mess it up somehow

Fen__

Smash Ace
To my understanding, though, the ONLY thing that has happened since it last worked fine was that fortwaffles scaled it. If so, then there's no reason to start over. Even if not, though, I don't think it's really necessary.

DoB04

Smash Journeyman
I think fortwafles scaled it and he did something after that that somehow messed it up, from what I understood.... I don't know, but good luck man, looking forward to a beta :)

Revven

FrankerZ
I would get waffles to resize the earlier version. I think the resizing didn't cause the polygon stretching, you had to have done something else after waffles resized it.

Leo Kitsune

Smash Apprentice
Story-wise: That would be an ideal and technically correct suggestion
however I find it less appealing IMO when he dashes with skates (that 1 framed animation where he just stands and puts his foot forward)
Then give him a skating animation. It would look better and still make sense.

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
Okay, I'm going to first trust that Fortwaffles did the first steps of scaling correctly since, y'know, he invented the technique. I, however, am not that good at doing things. I'm going to re-copy the vertex groups (all 120 >_<) and scale up the bones again, to see if that fixes the problem.

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
Okay, I just thought of something. Could the problem have come from scaling the bones up in the T-pose? Should I try manually scaling up the translations for each animation instead?

TommoPuppy

Smash Lord
NNID
Tommohawk
Okay, I just thought of something. Could the problem have come from scaling the bones up in the T-pose? Should I try manually scaling up the translations for each animation instead?
Doesn't that cause problems with the hitbox and effects?

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
It doesn't matter anyway, the model screws up if I scale an animation without doing the T-pose first, anyway. Just finished re-scaling. Moment of truth time. Test results coming soon.

PROGRESS REPORT: Didn't fix a thing. Exact same issue as before.

Oni K4ge

Smash Lord
****! Maybe fortwaffles messed up accidentally? Does he know ur havin complications?

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
****! Maybe fortwaffles messed up accidentally? Does he know ur havin complications?
I just sent him a message about it. I'll have to get back to you guys tomorrow though if any progress is made, I'll be gone the rest of the day.

EDIT: Fortwaffles will be unable to do anything until Monday. I'll keep tinkering until then.

Kei_Takaro

Smash Lord
Just wanna know, do you keep each revision of your Model? It might be alot easier if you keep a previous tweak of the model and creating new ones, then you might know where it might go wrong and just start from a model before that

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
Just wanna know, do you keep each revision of your Model? It might be alot easier if you keep a previous tweak of the model and creating new ones, then you might know where it might go wrong and just start from a model before that
I've kept backups of every single step, no matter how minor.

Oni K4ge

Smash Lord
Good idea, I had to do that with my Zebes stage. Anyway, have you tried Vertexing the stretchy polygons away? Maybe shrink them somehow... gotta be something with scaling. Unless the textures are too big? Nah...

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
Good idea, I had to do that with my Zebes stage. Anyway, have you tried Vertexing the stretchy polygons away? Maybe shrink them somehow... gotta be something with scaling. Unless the textures are too big? Nah...
The thing is, though, the stretchy polygons change with the camera. It's not a few bad polygons, it's a broken model.

Top Bottom