• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Louie's Notes-Olimar Q&A Thread!!

Zori

Smash Champion
After talking to Hilt and Draco we have decided Fino's thread had its run but it's now obsolete.

no need to cry my children because......

Chea ;0 So this is obviously a Question and Answer Thread the objective of this thread is to

1.Answer Qestions
2.Promote activity among the Oli mains

There is no need to talk about old stuff, this thread is about advancing so feel free to ask anything (even if its not smash related) but lets not get too off topic.

I am more incline to write a more in depth post when giving the right question instead of just spewing out random information.

So what are you waiting on?

Ask away!!!

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Alright I'll start things off :D

What do you usually do up close against an opponent that completely trumps your close range options (for example snake or falco)? What do you do to get away? Or do you try to fight them upclose? I've been starting to use utilt more, trying to get more of a feel for it but I don't know if it's worth being still stuck close to an opponent if they shield it.

:)

Noa.

Smash Master
Dammit hilt I wanted to ask about utilt. Nice thread so far Zori. I'll ask a question when I'm not trying to get ready for school.

Tin Man

Smash Hero

What do you usually do up close against an opponent that completely trumps your close range options (for example snake or falco)? What do you do to get away? Or do you try to fight them upclose? I've been starting to use utilt more, trying to get more of a feel for it but I don't know if it's worth being still stuck close to an opponent if they shield it.

Medium range is ur best friend. Do not stay close, GTFO of there as fast as possible, just don't get to far away. Like I said, medium range.

Ftiltis not the greatest move vs other ppl's close up games. Jab is better, less ending lag and more damage. Vs snake, sheild the Ftilt then sheild grab, f smash (or even Ftilti -.-). Vs falco, if u sheild, u'll end up taking damage from his jab's, DI up and fair or DI away (watch out for reflector)

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
Cincinnati, Ohio ; Land of Happiness and Kindness
NNID
Daylightful
So~! My question! The MK matchup.. What do I deeew? XD! Please and thank yew, guys! Tornado? Campy MK? Where should I stand on a stage against an MK? Middle or far away? Anything that helps the matchup would be greatly appreciated!

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
tin man, read what I said. I'm asking what he uses WHEN he's close range. when the opponent closes in on him. I'm not asking how to stay out of a bad situation, I'm asking how he gets out of one when his opponent forces him into it. particularly, I'm trying to ask what zori does lol. trying to get a feel of other olimars' playstyles.

edit: yes I'm posting from church.

Zori

Smash Champion
Lol, sorry I have not responded I just got off work all questions will be answered within ab hour

Zori

Smash Champion
What is Shy-Guy Canceling and how do I do it?

shy1 Show Spelled [shahy] guy1 Show Spelled [gahy] can·cel /ˈkænsəl/ Show Spelled [kan-suhl]

The act of Canceling a shy guy

how do you do it?

Beat SSE on hard mode 100 times, good luck

Up close a lot of char **** us, first and formost you should be running away if they get that close but if you can't its best to shield, I think this is the best option because when your opponent is pokeing at your shield they are trying to get a feel for your habits so you will see a lot of jab>spotdodge>jab. No commetment. Now we have two options, grab is too slow for falco and snake so our best option is jab or uptilt they have good priority and mutihit boxes. And more importantly beat out spotdodges. Also I have been messing around with uptilt latly and it just *****...... in so many match ups, play a ness and stand in the middle and space with uptilt........then come back to me lol.

So~! My question! The MK matchup.. What do I deeew? XD! Please and thank yew, guys! Tornado? Campy MK? Where should I stand on a stage against an MK? Middle or far away? Anything that helps the matchup would be greatly appreciated!
So much to talk about XD maybe i should write a writeup on my veiw of mk but i will just give you the basics, mid range is good vs mk, you need to pressure him a bit but not too much i spent like 2 years trying to out camp mk but it does not work, your going to be the agrresor in this match up imo but don't do stupid stuff use safe stuff like uair, speaking of uair it ***** in this mu it beats out dair..... nuff said but yeah so much to talk about ;-; maybe if you just gave me a specific situation i could help better

tin man, read what I said. I'm asking what he uses WHEN he's close range. when the opponent closes in on him. I'm not asking how to stay out of a bad situation, I'm asking how he gets out of one when his opponent forces him into it. particularly, I'm trying to ask what zori does lol. trying to get a feel of other olimars' playstyles.

edit: yes I'm posting from church.

get ***** tin man

Hilt is a bad boy :laugh:

all done...... for now :dizzy:

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
NNID
Daylightful
So much to talk about XD maybe i should write a writeup on my veiw of mk but i will just give you the basics, mid range is good vs mk, you need to pressure him a bit but not too much i spent like 2 years trying to out camp mk but it does not work, your going to be the agrresor in this match up imo but don't do stupid stuff use safe stuff like uair, speaking of uair it ***** in this mu it beats out dair..... nuff said but yeah so much to talk about ;-; maybe if you just gave me a specific situation i could help better
Thank yew very much! O: How about tornado~ And being off stage?

Turazrok

Smash Master
shy1 Show Spelled [shahy] guy1 Show Spelled [gahy] can·cel /ˈkænsəl/ Show Spelled [kan-suhl]

The act of Canceling a shy guy

how do you do it?

Beat SSE on hard mode 100 times, good luck
Done. Cakeeee

Noa.

Smash Master
Today, if you want general info in mk, just read Dabuz's post. It covers almost all of the matchup. Dabuz's post is in the OP of the matchup
thread.

Ok Zori, what's the problem with mk's fair, and how do you beat it?

Zori

Smash Champion
Today, if you want general info in mk, just read Dabuz's post. It covers almost all of the matchup. Dabuz's post is in the OP of the matchup
thread.

Problem is that it's a safe approch on our shield and we have no good oos options so we can't really do much, and how do we beat it? I have no idea xd I just relized it's a problem

maybe up-b oos :/

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
NNID
Daylightful
thread.

D: Lol. Sorries doo then. Trying to contribute and get something for Zori/people to answer so this thread won't be dead/unactive Oli boards. So I wanted others opinions instead. XP But okaaay then~

And thanks, Zori~

Zori

Smash Champion
Draco is right and wrong I can't explain the mu better then dabuz but I can still contribute.

Straight up asking how to beat mk is an impossible question to answer because 1 I don't know how and 2 even if I did it would take a long time to type

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
Problem is that it's a safe approch on our shield and we have no good oos options so we can't really do much, and how do we beat it? I have no idea xd I just relized it's a problem

maybe up-b oos :/
ummmm...just fsmash OOS (which is like 2 frames faster than shield grab TBH) if he doesn't jump again he will get hit unless its purple...and if he jump that close we obviously have him directly above us to do W/E we want :3

edit: shy guy canceling is real, when sent flying by any move on YI just hit a shy guy with and aerial (upair is by far the best for this) and the moves "freezes" for a second or more reducing the speed of us flying when the move is over

Zori

Smash Champion
ummmm...just fsmash OOS (which is like 2 frames faster than shield grab TBH) if he doesn't jump again he will get hit unless its purple...and if he jump that close we obviously have him directly above us to do W/E we want :3

edit: shy guy canceling is real, when sent flying by any move on YI just hit a shy guy with and aerial (upair is by far the best for this) and the moves "freezes" for a second or more reducing the speed of us flying when the move is over
ill have to try that, mk has so many options :"(

any more questions?

Zori

Smash Champion
What area of Olis metagame is lacking or undeveloped? How should we improve it?

Ah, I was just thinking about this too. I don't think we are lacking but one problem i think we do have is MU problems I was watching ps vids and he played a falco named arty, im not going to lie ps was messing up a lot in that MU, I play a falco almost everyday (Ozz-underated falco) and he knows matchup very well and if he played ozz like he played arty he would of loss imo.

But the same thing can be said on my end because if i played boss im pretty sure he would **** me, i have no exp in thar MU, same thing can be said about rich being good vs diddy and I lacking in that MU. A lot of you guys say we olimars play diffrent. That's not a bad thing. It just means what olimar has a lot of options and that's a good thing.

It's apprent the matchup thread is not going to help, it hasent for years now, i need someone next to me to expain a matchup but we all live so far away :(.

Noa.

Smash Master
Yeah, a character's metagame is defined by how well it does against other characters' metagames, and the players represent the character. We should just have all the decent active Olis do a write up on the matchups they know best, like Dabuz did with mk. Then if a specefic player has trouble with a matchup they can go to the player that knows the matchup. Something like that. Of course only the higher tier characters are really important.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Yeah, a character's metagame is defined by how well it does against other characters' metagames, and the players represent the character. We should just have all the decent active Olis do a write up on the matchups they know best, like Dabuz did with mk. Then if a specefic player has trouble with a matchup they can go to the player that knows the matchup. Something like that. Of course only the higher tier characters are really important.
I'd be all for this. Everyone seems to have their matchups that they specialize in and the ones that they really just don't get. I think Olimar's just the kind of character where you have to change your playstyle COMPLETELY for just about every matchup and if you don't know the playstyle you have to be in, well, you're ****ed. There aren't just things you're suppose to do, like for other characters, but also a lot of things that you just can't do against certain characters that you can do against others, or you'll get destroyed.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
i think i could do a write up like MK for every character thats high tier except wario and snake >_>

also, olimar's dash attack and dtilt are both underused, dtilt ***** the spacing of characters who need precisions, and dash attack is just a very quick high priority attack good to punish, beat out other attacks or even chase the fast characters in the air

Zori

Smash Champion
Hmm I like where this is going maybe I should start a big project where I ask olimar mains to do a write up on a match up they feel most confident in ( via aim ) and post it all at one time.

I called toon link :)

Jane

Smash Hero
i was looking in the match up thread, because two days ago i played a D3 main for the first time. i was ****** him at first, but later on he started bombarding me with ftilts, all i could do was throw pikmin at him, or try to jump over him on the other side, which resulted in me getting grabbed usually.

anyways, what im trying to get at is in the first page of the match up thread i only saw links to a ness, pikachu, and diddy discussion. are there other match ups discussed, but just hidden inside the pages of the match up thread?

and also what to do against dedede's ftilt?

thank yee :3

Zori

Smash Champion
How does Luigi **** Olimar? I just can't see it.

I was thinking of using Luigi to beat Oli's but I can't do **** to them D:
Priority. Just throw out any airel and it will beat out 80% of our options also upclose luigi jab game is sick

Tin Man

Smash Hero
Ah, I was just thinking about this too. I don't think we are lacking but one problem i think we do have is MU problems I was watching ps vids and he played a falco named arty, im not going to lie ps was messing up a lot in that MU, I play a falco almost everyday (Ozz-underated falco) and he knows matchup very well and if he played ozz like he played arty he would of loss imo.

But the same thing can be said on my end because if i played boss im pretty sure he would **** me, i have no exp in thar MU, same thing can be said about rich being good vs diddy and I lacking in that MU. A lot of you guys say we olimars play diffrent. That's not a bad thing. It just means what olimar has a lot of options and that's a good thing.

It's apprent the matchup thread is not going to help, it hasent for years now, i need someone next to me to expain a matchup but we all live so far away :(.
This all seems like a good Idea, I call ICs

Zori

Smash Champion
i was looking in the match up thread, because two days ago i played a D3 main for the first time. i was ****** him at first, but later on he started bombarding me with ftilts, all i could do was throw pikmin at him, or try to jump over him on the other side, which resulted in me getting grabbed usually.

anyways, what im trying to get at is in the first page of the match up thread i only saw links to a ness, pikachu, and diddy discussion. are there other match ups discussed, but just hidden inside the pages of the match up thread?

Honestly just keep camping our range > his range yeah it sucks but thats why we win the MU :/

TrueRedemption

Smash Journeyman
In the grand scheme of things, are there enough Oli mains and tournament results to defend his position in the tier list, or is still somewhat speculative? Is Olimar getting the respect he deserves?

-True

Zori

Smash Champion
In the grand scheme of things, are there enough Oli mains and tournament results to defend his position in the tier list, or is still somewhat speculative? Is Olimar getting the respect he deserves?

-True

since the game came out we never had a dominent olimar main. Every once in a while an olimar would **** a touney or two and then flop after that, then another oli would **** etc. We have never had a undisputed "best" olimar main so thats why I belive we have remaind in the 10th spot for so long. Olimar has the potential we just havent unlocked all of it.

On the other side i think 10 is fine for him, He does not have that many advantage match ups like a lot of people think, like ganon has a 0-50 combo on olimar XD We face the same problems with top tiers like everyone eles. 10 is a respectable number :]

Also HOLY CRAP AT TRUE POSTING!!!!!

so ive realized i dislike fighting wario. what can do do against gay campy wario?
time him out. or uptilt lol

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
NNID
Daylightful

Agreed. O: Just keep camping. You can Pikmin Toss. Then they just take a bunch of damage so they have to stop to either:
1. get closer to f-tilt more and take damage still
2. get the Pikmin off.
So in both situations I just use that time to get in a grab. D: Even then, grabs beat f-tilt.

Zooori, what is the best idea to get around Falco's lasers? Do I just take 'em like a woman? Or is there something I can do? D:

Denti

Smash Master

time him out. or uptilt lol

you know, could coulda just said kill him and that'd give me the same amount of information XD seriously though, what are ways i could stop his camp? i don't like sounding like an *** but if i really don't get a legitimate answer this thread is as much fail as the last Q&A thread lololol the last thread barely answered most of my questions and i had to go to the other character boards to get answers :0 how sad is that??

Jane

Smash Hero
Agreed. O: Just keep camping. You can Pikmin Toss. Then they just take a bunch of damage so they have to stop to either:
1. get closer to f-tilt more and take damage still
2. get the Pikmin off.
So in both situations I just use that time to get in a grab. D: Even then, grabs beat f-tilt.

Zooori, what is the best idea to get around Falco's lasers? Do I just take 'em like a woman? Or is there something I can do? D:
yeah, what i would do is just pikmin toss the hell out of him, but he wouldnt stop
he would just continue mercilessly ftilting until i was at the end of the stage (FD)
at which point i would try to jump over him to the other side, and usually it meant me getting grabbed.

what i think i should have done however, i just try to use my second jump to go REALLY far from him, but i think he would just chase me and grab since oli is so floaty its not hard to chase him.

i guess just need to learn to time the grab right when he finishes an ftilt

also to (attempt to) answer your question, try dtilting towards him to force a reaction and then act accordingly?

Zori

Smash Champion
you know, could coulda just said kill him and that'd give me the same amount of information XD seriously though, what are ways i could stop his camp? i don't like sounding like an *** but if i really don't get a legitimate answer this thread is as much fail as the last Q&A thread lololol the last thread barely answered most of my questions and i had to go to the other character boards to get answers :0 how sad is that??

Sorry for not giving you a legitamate answer.

But you asked a such a broad question, in what way is he camping, air camping? stalling? getting the percent lead then avoiding your attacks? Each of those situations require a diffrent answer.

A while back a had a wario air camp me and i had no idea that to do so i asked DMG what i should do and he said to uair, sadly sence then i never played a wario like that all the ones i play now are agro so I dont know if thats effective or not.

That's all i have sorry.

Noa.

Smash Master
Zori, I agree completely with your opinion on our tier posistion. I gurantee to have a rough draft about Peach on the Oli boards Friday night.

Denti

Smash Master
that's more like it zori :D sorry, i come off like an *** sometimes. i always try to make my point and sometimes you can't get your point across as clear without sounding like a meanie head ;D

but how to deal with stalling camp wario is my question. campy playing warios are okay to fight. my problem is just how they stall for the fart.

Top Bottom