• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

It's official!

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
According to my sources deep within the N64 collectors community Super Smash Bros. has now become the most sought after cartridge for the Nintendo 64. Obviously it’s not the most expensive to purchase since there are other games for the N64 that were produced in smaller numbers. However, thanks to the incredible success of Melee and now Brawl completist are dramatically driving up prices on clean examples of the originator of the incredibly successful Smash Brothers franchise.

Also, the recent news that some classic comics have sold in the million dollar range has bumped up prices on well preserved examples of the original Super Smash Bros. cartridge as many collectors are looking for the next big thing.

Thankfully the game is also fun to play and offers a nice contrast to the other two titles in the series.

I just ordered a copy of the Japanese cartridge Dairantou Smash Brothers 64 so my own personal collection will be complete. I’ll post my impressions here when I receive it.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
The price is right

I don't know whether this is a good thing or not. If I ever want to buy another setup it might sting. Just wondering, but how much is it usually going for.
The game generally sells between 20 to 30 dollars depending on condition if you want just the cartridge. However if you want to play the original Super Smash Bros. and own a Wii you can download it from the Virtual Console service. The original cartridge offers the added benefit of Rumble Pak support (hence its collectability) which is a feature the VC version does not include.

hamburglar

Smash Journeyman
the cartridge used is still relatively cheap. they're on ebay from anywhere between 7 and 20 bucks. I just bought the japanese version for 30 including shipping.

Skrlx

Smash Champion
how are you gonna play that with an american console? Or can you?

kit

Smash Apprentice
most poeple just open their n64 (pain in the *** without that nifty screwdriver) and remove the plastic thingy that blocks import games from being played.

Personally I just sawed the ends off my import version so when I take it and visit my friend I don't have to bring my 64 as well. lol

hamburglar

Smash Journeyman
the difference is only physical. you can either remove two plastic tabs on the dust guard of the n64, saw off the parts on the game that don't fit through the dust guard like kit said, or remove the dust guard completely. You don't actually need it. I bought another n64 console for 15 bucks and removed the guard that way if it breaks for any reason i still have my original

Skrlx

Smash Champion
I'm not sure if the console I currently have has that plastic thing, my console is from the Philippines lol

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
It's all about the little things

I just replace the backs of Japanese cartridges with US ones so they’ll play in my NA N64. It’s easy for me to do since I purchased the special tool to open up N64 and SNES cartridges.

The reason I’m buying the Japanese version of SSB(64) is because it has different punch and beam sword sound effects from the version that was released in the US.

Oh, regarding price, my copy of Dairantou Smash Brothers 64 is only costing me 23 dollars including shipping. But since it’s different from the US version of SSB(64) I consider that money well spent.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
I have 9 usable controllers and 2 unusable ones...

When friends come over, Mario Party and Pokemon Stadium (2) are more often in my N64 though.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
Auto Erotica N64 Style

it'll **** the palm of your hands too
And make you go blind. :laugh:

I’ve probably got about 20 N64 controllers lying around- see the pictures of part of my collection . Mostly I buy them cheap on Craig’s List and then try to restore them. Some however are too far gone and can’t be fixed because the stick wears out rather easily when compared to the rest of the pad.

This one is my favorite. :)

I picked up the Monster Hunter 3 demo and got a 5 dollar gift certificate for Virtual Console or Wii-ware. I may add an extra 5 bucks and finally download SSB so I own every version.

hamburglar

Smash Journeyman
i have 14 usable controllers. 11 are first party, 8 of which have replaced joysticks in the last month. the other three i have are hori mini pads that all have awesome joysticks. i usually only use one of my 1st party controllers for online and the hori mini pads for console.

D

Deleted member

You'd think that a Virtual Console release would drive down the price and lower demands.

I really don't get it.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
You'd think that a Virtual Console release would drive down the price and lower demands.

I really don't get it.
Just the opposite has happened. When the VC version of SSB was released prices on the original cartridge started going up. I suspect it's because the cartridge version is slightly different as it supports the Rumble Pak.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
Here’s another one of my N64 controllers. Isn't the color divine?

Oh, and a few of my favorite games for the N64.

Imainlowtier

Smash Cadet
My solid green controller is my favorite. I made the horrible accident of opening the stick compartment, and it took a long rime and the internet to put it back together. I still have to clean the pop from the inside of the buttons. First time didn't work.
What should I use to make my sticks last longer?

blaze3927

Smash Ace
is it the passport or is it just a gameshark?, or one of those really basic adapters.
the only thing stopping american n64's from playing japanese games is plastic tabs on the inside of the cart slot (which can be removed easily). going from ntsc/pal you neeed the passport or swap the pif chips on the n64 mobo.

Frogles

Smash Ace
You have Diddy Kong Racing and prefer crap like Mario Kart?!
I do not like you in the slightest.
finally someone else understands. we need to establish a name for ourselves. something that will let others know of our superiority.

perhaps the "enlightened ones".

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
hours of torment and broken controllers (due to being thrown against the wall) from trying to beat the first wizpig challenge.

then I beat it and got to the second one, where I promptly gave up before I hurt someone.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
DKR was awesome.

Alas, I only have 1 controller in perfect working condition. I have 4 others, two with broken joystick, one with a broken L button, and one with a broken B button.

Probably going to open up the two with broken sticks and put in the ones from the ones with broken buttons, I just haven't gotten around to it.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Both of u even consider those games over smash?
We all know Smash was the best fighter on the N64. So much so it's hardly worth mentioning.

His implied claim that MK64 was the best racer on the console on the other hand required some setting straight. There were 3 racing games that vied for top spot and that wasn't one of them.

finally someone else understands. we need to establish a name for ourselves. something that will let others know of our superiority.
perhaps the "enlightened ones".
Clearly we need a more enlightened name than that...

hours of torment and broken controllers (due to being thrown against the wall) from trying to beat the first wizpig challenge.
Don't try to tell me Smash games haven't had you doing that.

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
Said it once before, but I'll say it again.

Mario Kart 64 is one of the worst games ever.

Okay, maybe not worst ever, but pretty ****ty compared to a lot of other racing games.

DMoogle

A$
Crash Team Racing is probably the greatest kart racing game of all time.

More on topic: I can't remember, can the Japanese SSB actually be played on a US N64?

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
Pretty sure it can; you just gotta do some old-school hacksaw modding to cut off the plastic pieces that prevent it from being inserted in a US N64. Or you can mod the N64 itself. I think you just have to open it up and take parts out. Not sure if you need to saw stuff there as well.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
Crash Team Racing is probably the greatest kart racing game of all time.
Here's a picture I think you'll enjoy.

DMoogle said:
More on topic: I can't remember, can the Japanese SSB actually be played on a US N64?
Since I didn’t want to use an adapter every time I play my Japanese copy of SSB on my US N64 I simply swapped out the back with a North American cartridge. I used the tool that you see in my previous picture to undo those special proprietary screws that Nintendo uses.

Top Bottom