• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Louisiana Brawl Power Ranking: UPDATED! 5/16/11

Curlz

Smash Lord
Here is Louisiana's updated Power Ranking.

Updated May 16, 2011

The purpose of this PR is multi-faceted. First off, it can serve as a motivational tool for players wishing to improve their ranking on the list or even make the list in the first place. Secondly, the PR can be used as an aid in seeding for tournaments. Finally, it allows those not familiar with the Louisiana Brawl scene to see who our best are. Basically, this is here to help improve the quality of Louisiana's competitive Brawl community.

The panelists for the current LA Brawl Power Ranking are BSP, ChKn, and myself.

This list considers tournaments and MMs from the past couple of months. A total lack of attendance to recent tournaments will affect one's ranking. I think it is inevitable that some bias from friendlies will spill over, but that's why we have panelists from different areas: to reduce this effect.

(credit to ChKn for the amazing graphic)

Green = moved up
Red = moved down
Blue = new
White = stayed the same

Louisiana Brawl Power Ranking

0. Lee Martin - :metaknight: / :dedede: / :random: [Houma]
---

1. Hyro - :toonlink: [Baton Rouge]
2. JNig - :wario: [New Orleans]
3. BSP - :sonic: / :metaknight: / :falco: [Baton Rouge]
4. Batto - :metaknight: / :peach: / :marth: [New Orleans]
5. Curlz - :metaknight: / :falco: [Lafayette]
6. Li-D - :falco: / :lucario: [Baton Rouge]
7. D. - :kirby2: / :metaknight: [Baton Rouge]
8. Blaise - :snake: / :mario2: [Lafayette]
9. ChKn - :marth: / :metaknight: [Lafayette]
10. BlueBomberXTJ - :zerosuitsamus: [Baton Rouge]

Honorable Mentions (listed alphabetically):
N/A

Inactive, yet scary, Players (listed in order of skill):
2.1. Cyphus - :dk2:

Tournament Results

[collapse=2/19/11 - 5/14/11]
Nom #7
Lafayette's Brawl
The Smash Lounge
February Fight Fest 2
Smashberg Lane
Nom #8
Smashberg Lane 2
Lafayette Locals
LouisiANIME
The Smash Lounge 2
[/collapse]

Previous lists:

[collapse=Previous Lists]

February '11
http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/1434/mainprmvc32.png
0. Lee Martin
1. JNig
2. Hyro
3. Cyphus
4. Jiovanni
5. BSP
6. NiTEZ
7. Curlz
8. ChKn
9. D.
10. Batto

November '10
http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/7941/decpr2010.png
0. Lee Martin
1. JNig
2. Hyro
3. -Ran
4. rOni
5. Blaino
6. Jiovanni
7. FakeGeorge
8. ChKn
9. Curlz
9. Savon

August '10
http://i713.photobucket.com/albums/ww134/ShadowChKn/PowerRankings/PRListAug2010.png
1. Lee Martin
2. Hyro
3. JNig
4. Cyphus
5. Ran
6. FakeGeroge
7. Roni
8. Jiovanni
9. Arcadia
10. ChKn

May '10
1. Lee Martin
2. Hyro
3. JNig
4. r0ni
5. Ran Iji
6. Blaine
7. Arcadia
8. Battosai
9. FakeGeorge
10. Curlz

December '09
1. Lee Martin
2. Hyro
3. Cyphus
4. rOni
5. JNig
6. Ran Iji
7. FakeGeorge
8. Nikz0r
9. Arcadia
10. Blaine

August '09
1. Lee Martin
2. Hyro
3. Cyphus
4. Nikz0r
5. rOni
6. FakeGeorge
7. Ran Iji
8. Bre
9. Jnig
10. Blaine

June '09
1. Lee Martin
2. Cyphus
3. Nikz0r
4. Hyro
5. FakeGeorge
6. Ran Iji
7. r0ni
8. CJ
9. Bre
10. Li-D

April '09
1. Lee Martin
2. Cyphus
3. Sudai
4. Hyro
5. Nikz0r
6. Pierre
7. r0ni
8. CJ
9. FakeGeorge
10. EET

March '09
1. Lee Martin
2. Nikz0r
3. Sudai
4. Cyphus
5. Pierre
6. Hyro
7. EET
8. sniperx
9. Roni
10. CJ[/collapse]

LA's Old Power Ranking Thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=226025

As most say, "If you don't like it, change it."

Comments? Questions? Suggestions?

-Ran

Smash Master
This Pr was hard to design due to the time gap between it and the last one. It didn't help that many of the normal players that are skilled in our state didn't make it enough tournaments to consider them due to the vastness of the time frame. In PR's done in the span of three months, it's easy to say that going to one or two tournaments is enough to remain on the Power Rankings, but whenever it's over six months it becomes a matter of fairness to the players that have slugged it out and gone to other tournaments consistently. It is on that note, that I would like to say that the next Power Ranking List is going to be in three months, or two if a sufficient enough of tournaments are ran.

I would like to encourage everyone to come to tournaments as often as possible. If you feel you are being slighted, make sure that you play members on the PR so that we can know where your skill stands.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
i really wish you guys would combine with us(tx) like md/va does.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Congrats to my boys JNig and Blaine for moving up yet again!

And good job to Battou and Curlz getting on the PR.

skaterbaj

Smash Lord
once again Lee sits at the top as usual lol that nnever gonna change.I didnt know fake george still played?
and wtf what happend to CJ snake player he was legit

-Ran

Smash Master
Randall went to a few tournaments over the course of the PR time. He was just very busy with college due to being a graduate assistant, if I recall. CJ quit due to sports or something like that. I'm hoping we see him some more during the summer; he was always a cool kid.

-Ran

Smash Master
One dollar money matches? You can't buy **** for a dollar. A dollar money match is a vote of no confidence in your own skill, and is more akin to a parking meter fee to play on a setup. Man up.

Turazrok

Smash Master
One dollar money matches? You can't buy **** for a dollar. A dollar money match is a vote of no confidence in your own skill, and is more akin to a parking meter fee to play on a setup. Man up.
Unlike most other people in LA Smash, my job is school and I work for no pay. I spend all my extra cash entering, and losing tournies. I would pony up more, but I still gotta MM Ken, Arc, and pretty much everyone else on the brawl pr. INCLUDING YOU!

-Ran

Smash Master
The easiest way to do it would be to have a 'Hobo PR' where you use the Hobo rankings of players to determine their rankings. Louisiana won't be able to consistently make every tournament in Texas, but we could certainly make the Hobos. All this does though, is mean that Hobos are going to have to be efficient in time and not split any tournaments.

Conversely.

The Hobo Ladder. Have players be able to enter in with a fee [to go to the Hobo Grant?] and play each other as a ladder match. Less work in terms of managing, and it essentially runs itself. Furthermore, there won't be any arguing in regards as to who belongs where.

Turazrok

Smash Master
Sounds good except for the best of 5. Its only $1, so make it best of 3 or at least bring it up to $5 for best of 5.
Hmmmm. Considering this takes place at NOM. I have $15. 5 for singles, 5 for doubles, and 10 from curlz.

Lee Martin

Smash Ace
The easiest way to do it would be to have a 'Hobo PR' where you use the Hobo rankings of players to determine their rankings. Louisiana won't be able to consistently make every tournament in Texas, but we could certainly make the Hobos. All this does though, is mean that Hobos are going to have to be efficient in time and not split any tournaments.

Conversely.

The Hobo Ladder. Have players be able to enter in with a fee [to go to the Hobo Grant?] and play each other as a ladder match. Less work in terms of managing, and it essentially runs itself. Furthermore, there won't be any arguing in regards as to who belongs where.
No. We need to merge like MD/VA. We have people on our power ranking that are not power ranking material. Me being 1st on our PR gives me nothing to work towards. LA PR is a joke and needs to be discarded. It ****ing disgusts me. You are just going to have to work HARD if you want to be on the TX/LA PR.

-Ran

Smash Master
You're right. The Louisiana PR has always been horrible. I've always said that I personally felt that anyone under the top three on our PR doesn't scratch the PR in Texas. I've said that for years, but I also am aware of the absolute drama that is associated with the Texas PR in terms of who should go where, and who isn't getting on the list. Because the better players can't make every tournament, and certain match ups never happen due to this. I view it that it is going to be harder to get ranking comparisons since we're only going to be able to make it to one tournament a month on average, which will probably be in Houston. Dallas isn't traveling really anymore, and I don't see anyone in Texas really driving over to Louisiana for a tournament since our local scene is a joke in terms of attendance and willingness to get better. Hopefully over the summer months if I can get NOM to be consistent, we'll start getting decent tournaments again.

The difference between our situation and MD/VA is that they are all only driving two to three hours to a tournament at the most. So they can logistically say that they are able to have everyone at their tournaments that matter. While in our situation, we're driving six hours to get to Houston or eight hours to get to Dallas. Dallas and Houston are four hours apart due to the size of the state, and that isn't even counting the players from other cities.

Don't get me wrong. I know that if we combined with Texas today I wouldn't be on the PR. I'm all for shrinking the PR to the point where only the players worth talking about are on it. I've always thought that, and that's not what I'm posting about. I'm looking at it from the logistical stand point of the driving distance that is going to be involved. Looking at the past recent Texas tournaments, their attendance levels have split between the cities. They aren't going to travel to Louisiana for a tournament [not that we even have anything worth it], if they aren't even going to travel between their two cities [which is already a large travel distance.] I had just asked Zac if they were going to go to the next Hobo, and his response was flatly, "Dallas doesn't travel."

I would love to see a joint effort, but we need to think it through. The above that I listed are just my initial concerns and why I was looking into having something that was simply based on Hobo. I am in full agreement that our PR is ****-tier.

Curlz

Smash Lord
No. We need to merge like MD/VA. We have people on our power ranking that are not power ranking material. Me being 1st on our PR gives me nothing to work towards. LA PR is a joke and needs to be discarded. It ****ing disgusts me. You are just going to have to work HARD if you want to be on the TX/LA PR.
If anything, make a separate PR with TX/LA. We can't just discard ours. LA needs to have its own PR for in-state tournaments since we hold ALOT of them. As "disgusting" as it may be, we need our own PR for the tournaments we hold here. If TX and LA mix, then most likely everyone 5 and lower will most likely be dropped. How will we seed our tournaments from there? The TO's knowledge of seeding by skill isn't always the best option.

Also, Texas NEVER comes to any of LA's tournaments unless its something big (such as LasT or Tasol) and we only go to TX for the Hobo series. Working hard to make the PR isn't the problem, its for the fact that most of us can't travel far enough to be able to make the interstate tournaments. I mean, we already have problems traveling only 2 hours to make it to a tournament.

Remember, its the LA power ranking so we can know who the best in LA are. Not the best in between both states.

TL;DR - I'm all for TX/LA PR, as long as the original TX and LA PR are not discarded.

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
we're also a quarter the size of TX, so of course we're going to have alot less pros. If we cut out PR in half and included myself (Lee, hyro, jnig, cyph, r0ni) it would make the state...look better...but
I'm more concerned with the smaller communities, giving LA non-pro players something to compete at (the PR) and not make them feel overshadowed by those who can place well oos.
Yea there's skill gaps in our state, but brawl just isn't as big here as it is other places. we have a competing melee scene too.

i think we should keep the PR as it is, exclusive to LA, because w/out it, theres less reason for our non-pro players to play, The LA brawl scene has been slowly dying for a year- we need our PR- we need to hold onto as many people as possible!

i think most people just dont take the game as seriously. local tournies are hard enough for even our GOOD players- nobody beats lee, and Hyro/Jnig beat everyone else. it wouldn't be that bad, except our tournies are SMALL.
so its a very short, difficult experience with no chance of money.

off topic, we're kind of fortunate curlz came in and organized the laffy scene and hosted tournies. With Randall gone, who for years hosted tournaments and profited nothing, LA needs all the smash support it can get.

when i host a brawl tourney here in Houma/Raceland, no pros will be allowed. Once that foundation is secure, it'll be open to everyone.

Turazrok

Smash Master
There are people who don't go to Texas tournies at all not to mention who from Texas regularly attends LA tournies besides Zigsta? And for him only sporadically at that. It would be Texas/People who go to Texas Tournies PR.

Curlz

Smash Lord
we're also a quarter the size of TX, so of course we're going to have alot less pros. If we cut out PR in half and included myself (Lee, hyro, jnig, cyph, r0ni) it would make the state...look better...but
I'm more concerned with the smaller communities, giving LA non-pro players something to compete at (the PR) and not make them feel overshadowed by those who can place well oos.
Yea there's skill gaps in our state, but brawl just isn't as big here as it is other places. we have a competing melee scene too.

i think we should keep the PR as it is, exclusive to LA, because w/out it, theres less reason for our non-pro players to play, The LA brawl scene has been slowly dying for a year- we need our P- we need to hold onto as many people as possible!
Coming off of this. The reason I got into competitive Brawl was only because I wanted to make the PR. If I recall correctly, my very first post was:

Tis my goal to make it on this list.
Its something to strive for to the people who aren't exactly "good". If we fuse with Texas, I agree with Cyphus, it could just completely destroy people's hopes of trying to get better. That wont be fun.

off topic, we're kind of fortunate curlz came in and organized the laffy scene and hosted tournies. With Randall gone, who for years hosted tournaments and profited nothing, LA needs all the smash support it can get.
Thank you. :]

Xyro77

Guys, relax. The way this is being handled is going to be COMPLETELY fair and will not alienate ANYBODY. This means that if u miss a few events, its ok. This new plan will focus on SKILL/COMMON SENSE more than "results and attendance"

Turazrok

Smash Master
Guys, relax. The way this is being handled is going to be COMPLETELY fair and will not alienate ANYBODY. This means that if u miss a few events, its ok. This new plan will focus on SKILL/COMMON SENSE more than "results and attendance"
Could you fill me in how it is being handled then?

Curlz

Smash Lord
Yes, I would actually like to know as well.

Edit: I would still like to keep a separate PR for each state if we fuse them, if at all possible.

Xyro77

Yes, I would actually like to know as well.

Edit: I would still like to keep a separate PR for each state if we fuse them, if at all possible.
Relax, your place here in La will be reflected in the new system. You will not LOSE anything( you may actually GAIN).

The only hint i will give you is this:

S
A
B
C
D
E
F
G(honorable mention)

Keep an eye out for later on tonight. Trust me, im all about making things FAIR while not taking away from people.

Hyro

Smash Lord
Coming off of this. The reason I got into competitive Brawl was only because I wanted to make the PR. If I recall correctly, my very first post was:

Its something to strive for to the people who aren't exactly "good". If we fuse with Texas, I agree with Cyphus, it could just completely destroy people's hopes of trying to get better. That wont be fun.

Thank you. :]
.....................you would think people would want to be on the list because it means they deserve it...

we shoulda used common sense for OUT list. Does it actually mean something to you when its missing players like...

nick?
cyphus?
freddy?
eazy?
blaise?

flyro out peace up a town down

GOL | 482 | JSalt

The Folse Deity
NNID
JSalty
@Smith, oh no you didn't...

@ChKn, lol, not necessarily that cut-throat.

I mean, it's been boring (competitively) around here. "People only care about Lee, Hyro, and JNig OoS." "Besides the Top 3/4/5, the rest is a joke." Doesn't that motivate you? Don't you want to be part of that conversation? It's embarrassing to see when those comments are made, we really can't argue against them.

I hate hearing other people talking about how they're gonna get ***** when they go to tournaments. You absolutely can't have that mindset. You must be open to all opportunities to learn. You must seek to understand "why" you are losing, and find ways to . When someone has to play me in tourney, I hate when they think "auto-lose." I want them to give me their best. If they don't, it's just as disrespectful as if I were to sandbag. It's as they say, you're only as good as the people around you (or something like that).

When I get better, it should make the people around me better. I guess a lot of people around me aren't as motivated to improve and/or eager to listen as I would like.

/rant

La has 3-4 legit players on thier pr, the rest are there cause spaces need to be filled.
ya see!? :mad:

Top Bottom