• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Phoenix 3 August 21st Coquitlam BC

LFL

Smash Journeyman
Venue:

Home Video 3274 Coast Meridian Road, Port Coquitlam - (604) 941-9313

Fees and Prizes

Venue Fee: $5*
Brawl Singles: $10
Brawl Doubles $5 per person

Pot will be split 45/20/15/10/5/5 for Brawl Singles and 70/30 for Doubles

Schedule

10:00am - Venue Opens, Brawl doubles registration
11:00am - Brawl doubles
2:00pm - Brawl singles registration
3:00pm Brawl singles
10pm - Venue closes

Rules

3 Stock
8 Minutes
Sets of best 2 of 3.
Winners, Losers, and Grand Finals will be best 3 of 5
Items are to be set to "Off" and "None".
BYOC (Bring your own controller.)
Player may not counterpick to the last stage they won on.
Dumb Stages can be used. (Any stage can be played on if both players agree).

Sets will proceed in this format:
1. Players pick their characters*** and a stage is picked by random to one of the set neutrals.
2. Players may use one veto each on a random stage. They will quit the round and let random pick a new stage. In doubles there will be a veto for each team as opposed to a player each.
3. Winner of the first match bans a stage, the loser counterpicks a stage, the winner picks their character and then the loser picks theirs before the second match is played.
4. Step 3 is repeated until the set's winner is determined.

In the event of a time out, the winner is determined by stock, and then by percentage. If a tie exists, play a 1 stock match on the same stage with the same characters to determine the winner.

If Bowser's Klaw is initiated then the win will go to Bowser. If Ganondorf initiates a Ganoncide, ignore the outcome and the win will go to Ganondorf. All other suicides will be sent to the tie-breaker.

The 50 ledgegrab rule is in effect (You may only grab the ledge 50 times in a match). Players who suspect their opponent have grabbed the ledge more than 50 times must call it before they leave the results screen, otherwise we will not be able to enforce this rule.

Any action used to cause the match unfinishable (freezing or other glitches) will result in the forfeit of the match by the initiator.

Metaknight's Infinite Dimensional Cape is banned. Standing infinites are banned. Ice Climber's Fusion glitch is banned.

Players using a Wii-mote to play must take their batteries out when not playing. For any disobedience of this rule, we'll punish as we see fit.

We will be adding rules as needed, and without notice. The final word comes down to myself or another TO's decision.

Stagelist:

Neutral
Final Destination
Smashville
Battlefield
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
Pokemon Stadium

Counterpick
Lylat Cruise
Brinstar
Rainbow Cruise
Delfino Plaza
Frigate Orpheon
Halberd
Castle Seige

Setups

Please, please, PLEASE bring setups if you are able to. Any extra TV, Wii and brawl will help us out so very much. CRT TVs only please, as LCDs are prone to lagging.

Attendence

If you are able to attend, please post, and I'll put you on the list. A star denotes that the person is unconfirmed. Bold means they're out of province.

1. LFL
2. Bundtcake
3. Firefly(you're coming you don't have a choice)
4. Asa
5. Thomas Paine
6. Ced
7. BLue yoshi
9. Blunted_object10
10. Lib3r4t3
11. Cheeszeman
12. Karupin
13. HNG
14. Ic0nic
15. Grape
16. IHT
17. BJ
18. Omega Kut
19. Terodactyl Yelnats*
20. SKidd*
21. Starwaffle*
22. Clouderz
23. Yaya*
24. Mash
25. Sion
26. breez
27. Captain L*
28. Iconic

Poster Contest

I want a poster made for the tournament. Whoever submits the best poster, selected by myself, won't have to pay the venue fee. So use your photoshop skills and impress me!

I know it's been awhile since we've all gotten together, But i assure you the BC Brawl community is not dead! Let's have another amazing tournament. I hope to see you there!

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
Rise from the dead, Jordan! Muahahaha

Unfortunately, this is probably happening a week or so before I get back. =[ Hope everyone else can make it though...!

Edit: Wow, Brian beat me to it. Not bad. :x

:005:

T-Pagne

Smash Cadet
this is a new account, but it's the same OLD T PAINE SHAWTAYYYYY.

sign me up.

and sign up Ced, im sure he will be down.

T-Pagne

Smash Cadet
i just realized this is the same time as my weekly scheduled Yugioh tournament at the same place...

I would like to participate in both... argh

T-Pagne

Smash Cadet
uhh, i think its gonna be T-PAGNE FT ASADELTA on the TRACK: WINNING DOUBLES LOLZ

LFL

Smash Journeyman
A few things:

The 50 ledgegrab rule is in effect (You may only grab the ledge 30 times in a match).

lolwut

Fixed

Where's my star? =3.

The orange colour makes me suspect you copypasta'd the OP from my Phoenix 2 thread. =D

Asa/breez team if I can't make it? That could be pretty cool IMO

It clearly states that you have to come. NO EXCUSES!

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
The 50 ledgegrab rule is in effect (You may only grab the ledge 50 times in a match). Players who suspect their opponent have grabbed the ledge more than 30 times must call it before they leave the results screen, otherwise we will not be able to enforce this rule.
lmao

...What about "I'm kind of on the other side of the country" johns? =[

HNG

Smash Journeyman
I'll probably make this..

I'm looking for a dubs partner. Preferrably a Snake, Diddy, MK, Or a Pika user..Contact me if you're interested.

Karupin

Smash Journeyman
ill most likely show up, while dragging along a few other islanders...
also, finally another tourney in BC...been way to long

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
put me down as unconfirmed. it's 50/50 in terms of me going.

Blunted, if we're both going, wanna be teammates? Puff ftw :p

By the way, is this the set date for the tournament? If it can happen the week before or after, I am virtually 100% confirmed. Otherwise, I'm a maybe. Someone (Jake, I think?) said he arrives a week after or something... so... ;)

Edit: Rule disagreement (I put it quotes for simplicity by simply putting [QUOTE.] and [/.QUOTE] (without the periods) ).

"50 ledge-grab rule is in effect"

I know me and Trevor (and I think all of Vancouver Island) have mentioned this before, but 50 ledge grabs is way too much. Me and Trevor have had friendlies (semi-serious, semi-joking) where mid-way through the match, one of us has had an advantage and planked the rest of the match against a character that can't really do much about planking. The matches didn't time out because we got bored of planking in a friendly, but for a pretty large amount of time spent planking, we did not even reach 20 ledge grabs.

Well... lets put it this way... 50 ledge grabs is 16/17 ledge grabs per stock. Why would anyone need that many ledge grabs in one stock? They'll maybe get knocked off the stage 5 times max per stock (being very generous here), resulting in 5 ledge grabs (maybe double it for ledge mindgames and stuff for trying to get back onto the ledge). So that's 10 grabs there. Max. Raising it to that much is just asking for planking.

And another way to think about it. Brawl matches are 8 minutes long. 50 ledge grabs is 1 ledge grab every 9.6 seconds. Sure, with ledge pressure from the opponent, this is probably impossible, but lets say that with 5 minutes left, someone starts to plank (took the first stock, and now has a 3-2 stock lead). That would be one grab every 6 seconds, which is very possible even with ledge pressure.

So yeah... I think 50 is too much.

And a warning... if you leave it at 50, I will abuse it in pools play to test it out. It will be pools, so it won't affect the tournament bracket that much (other than maybe one or two skewed pools results), but at least we'll be able to test it out in an actual match (hopefully we use a wii with infinite replay).
But yeah, that said, hype for the tournament.

EDIT EDIT:

lol... I know I was supposed to host a smash tournament this summer, but I have never had a weekend date off to do so. I've literally worked every Saturday and every Sunday so far. Sorry guys.

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
Regarding the ledge-grab thing, all I have to say is that Yoshi needs breathing room for ledge grabs, thanks to edge-cancelled eggs. They're essential to his ledge game, rack up ledge grabs VERY quickly, and classifying it as planking is silly not only because of how easy it is to intercept, but also because he can only do it 4 or 5 times (5 is REALLY risky) before having to land on the stage. I don't pay attention to ledge grabs very often, but in a recent tourney match where I did camp the ledge quite a bit, I wound up with 83 ledge grabs, and the match didn't go to time. >.> With a 30 ledge-grab limit, using ECE 3 times per stock will put Yoshi over the limit, and that assumes he never grabs the ledge otherwise.

Honestly, time-outs rarely happen in my matches, and the only ones I can recall have been on stages banned here. However, there are Yoshi mains that go to time fairly often, and being restricted to 30 ledge grabs would probably ruin them. They don't plank because Yoshi can't plank, and anybody who says otherwise needs to lrn2powershield. ^.^ Yoshi may be the exception to the rule, but I would suspect that other characters in certain situations would need to have breathing room with ledge grabs to survive. For example, I've heard accounts of R.O.B.s losing matches to MKs because they needed their edge game to deal with MK's pressure and exceeded the limit, even though they would have won otherwise...

My $0.02, even though I probably won't be here... >.<

Cheeszeman_

Smash Cadet
sign me up!
and i'll bring a couple of my friends along
HOORAW to rebuilding the BC Smash community. no? no? yes :)

bundtcake

Smash Ace
That leaves you wayyy more open to getting gimped though (as Jake knows well from before he switched to b-stick egging ;D)

Also, Bryan was saying it might be neat to take that new MLG rule, the one where if you fight someone in the winners bracket, if you meet up with them in the losers bracket it's automatically turned into a best of 5 instead of a best of 3, and I kinda like that idea O:

Lib3r4t3

Smash Ace
DK can use up b to regrab the ledge quickly for more safety and breathing room, but it's still "stalling". Minor stalling is fine, but the ledge grab rule is there for a reason, since the ledge is such a powerful tool. Low tiers aren't any different then characters like mk or gaw uairing/nairing respectfully, and I don't think they should be treated any differently, time out or not.

I still want it to be 30 ledgegrabs because that's less room for me to be planked.

bundtcake

Smash Ace
I don't really see why everyone's getting in such a huff about the ledgegrab rule when we haven't seen any planking so far anyways! Haven't seen anyone ever get timed out, either. I say we keep it as it is and if someone starts being a jerk we just shun them and change the rule for next time, like I suggested last tourney :D

Lib3r4t3

Smash Ace
I wouldn't mind getting a few people together and planking in order to get the rule changed.

Low tiers going over 30 without planking doesn't bug me. The whole point of the rule is to call it if you think you were being stalled on, in which case they check. They don't just check all the time, and if you're over, you're screwed. What's the argument against 30 ledgegrabs?

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
Actually, Lib3r4t3, I was planning on planking in pools matches. That way, the TO and others can see if it is a problem or not.

But yeah, we should promote planking in pools lol :p

LETS BE THE JERKS THAT GET SHUNNED!!! :p

oh, and we all have to be MK when we do this lol

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
Ewic says Samus also needs edge grabs (let go of edge, 'r' grab ledge right away).

Yeah... I can see where the problem appears...

And Yoshi can re-grab the ledge more than 5 times. Jump then up-B :p
I kinda thought about characters with tether recoveries as well, but come to think of it, Samus does have a pretty good edge game, and her bad KO ability, heavy weight, and playstyle means her matches seem likely to last a long time, putting her at risk of losing to the 30 ledge-grab rule.

Oh yes, I forgot about that fantastic ledge option. DJing back to sweetspot the ledge without even any Egg Toss lift left is a fantastic option that is very difficult to intercept and a very safe way of getting back to the stage.

That leaves you wayyy more open to getting gimped though (as Jake knows well from before he switched to b-stick egging ;D)
This guy knows whats up. B|

But... but... but... the randomness...

omg lol if we are in the same pool you know exactly what is happening... LOLOL!!!

random character only, of course. What did you think it was?
...Spear Pillar?

Asa

Smash Hero
NO

I like my waterless japes with drake in the backround thank you very much

_GrapE_

Smash Lord
Since nobody is posting on the other thread for this I guess I will talk here.

Umm, me and IHT will most likely need housing for this.

Asa

Smash Hero
hopefully tpagne can provide housing as he lives closest to the venue

Ic0nic

Smash Apprentice
IMO planking should be on a case by case basis... It's not like this is a major tournament or anything, if someone is playing like a **** we should just give them their money back and send them home.

Top Bottom