• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Phoenix 3 August 21st Coquitlam BC

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
Anyone for my "ULTIMATE MONEY MATCH"?

Rules for ultimate money match:

Each of the three smash games (64, melee, and brawl) are played.
Each game is a best of 3. Winner is the one who wins 2 of 3 games.
Character selection is always random (though we can make it so you choose if you want).
Otherwise, rules are identical for each game (counterpicking and everything).

Any takers?

... I'd also be up for a melee money match lol. Skidd, who do you main in melee?

bundtcake

Smash Ace
If we were more evenly matched in 64 I would've taken you up on that... :p

Ooh, I still wanna try doing a multi-character crew battle style money match with someone in brawl though :D

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
Hi Brian. How many chars? 6? ;)

For 64, if you want, I can go random while you pick your character. I do have some characters I'm bad with (including Falcon, Luigi, Mario, DK, Link, Samus, Falcon, Ness, Yoshi, Kirby, Fox, Pikachu, Puff, Falcon, and Falcon) :p

But in seriousness, I'm not amazing with everyone. My Mario, DK, Ness, Yoshi (against some characters), and Fox I'd consider weak compared to my other characters (though my Fox has picked up a bit).

Brian, when we get the chance, we have to do a 35-character crew-battle style money match.

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
If we were more evenly matched in 64 I would've taken you up on that... :p

Ooh, I still wanna try doing a multi-character crew battle style money match with someone in brawl though :D
I'd gladly do that at our next smash gathering-whatever if there was no money involved. Because we both know you'd win anyway. =[

:005:

bundtcake

Smash Ace
Haha, doesn't matter what number of characters to me :D By the time I'd actually have to start pulling in characters I don't know so well we might as well be doing a 35-character battle ;D

And as nice of a gesture as that is, it still is basically a 50/50 chance that I'll either just lose straight-up or have only somewhat of a shot of winning :p

EDIT: Ooh, and I'm definitely gonna have to take you up on that offer Jake :3

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
I guess I'll re-introduce my 64 money match challenge.

I go through every character, one at a time, starting with Luigi. You can be whoever you want. If you beat me once, you win the entire money match. I have to win all 12 games to win the match. Any takers?

Yaya

Smash Champion
I guess I'll re-introduce my 64 money match challenge.

I go through every character, one at a time, starting with Luigi. You can be whoever you want. If you beat me once, you win the entire money match. I have to win all 12 games to win the match. Any takers?
My Falcon could probably steal a match.

That is if I can actually go to this thing, though, I'm heading to Vancouver for the PNE, so there's a chance...

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
For those of you who are too lazy, I listed what is changed in the new list compared to our last stage list. What is coloured is changed (yellow was counterpick, and red was banned).

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=230479&page=2

are we gonna use the new stage list?

starter:
halberd
battlefield
smashville
final destination
lylat
ps1
yoshi's island (brawl)

counterpick:
castle seige
norfair
pictochat
rainbow cruise
brinstar
frigate orpheon
pokemon stadium 2
pirate ship
distant planet
delfino
japes (sigh)
Yes, sighing is banned :p

Although I agree with some changes, I do disagree with others. For example, I agree with Pictochat being a counterpick, but I disagree with Distant Planet being one. I'm sure we all have our yays and nays on this... so why not make our own list out of it.

Asa

Smash Hero
ya i really like the starter list

for the cp i could see norfair and distant planet leaving

bundtcake

Smash Ace
So, just talked to Vincent, convinced him to let me put him down as unconfirmed O:

He says he's not promising anything though

SKidd

Smash Master
So who are you guys gonna be goin?
I'll be Mario

for the most part...

Sion

Island of Horizon
why in the world is the pot split so deep?

for a turnout less than 50 or so, it should be 60/30/10. what's the reasoning behind 45/20/15/10/5/5?

btw i might need directions

Clouderz

Smash Ace

for a turnout less than 50 or so, it should be 60/30/10. what's the reasoning behind 45/20/15/10/5/5?

yea i agree with sion
its gay

bundtcake

Smash Ace

Our top 4 has generally been pretty set in stone but none of us in the top 4 mind spreading the money around a little to get some people more competitive except for Clouderz, but he's like 14, he can just ask his parents for more allowance

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
The thing is, the people that are on the cusp of breaking the top 4 of me, bundtcake, breez, and Clouderz are pretty much all players from the island, and paying out to top 6 instead of top 3 helps to cover their costs to travel here, which encourages them to come more often, which results in higher attendance, which increases the pot size, which makes up for the lower % won by 1st and 2nd place. =P The community benefits, and the top payout barely suffers, if at all. If attendance is low, we keep the 60/30/10 payout, and IIRC, Clouderz made more money at Phoenix 1, which had a great turnout from the Island and overall and paid out to top 6, than at Phoenix 2, which had a lackluster turnout from the Island and overall, but paid out to the top 3.

Edit: lol Sion. I don't want to discourage you from coming, but Eric has been playing Brawl for quite a while, and while he has gotten pretty good, he isn't a threat for any of the money spots in singles, even with top 6 payout. People need to stop thinking it's easy to just pick up Brawl and start winning, because it's really not. -.-

Sion

Island of Horizon
true, money can get tight for many players, especially those who are traveling at a cost.

but regardless of cost i think some players are traveling just for love of the game and playing different, and possibly more skilled players, which is why i initially questioned the payout.

i meant that jokingly, jake :laugh:. i don't plan to win anything at all, i just want to see how a brawl tournament runs and see how well brawl is played in bc.
i don't get discouraged, though. i've been playing melee for several years and i still haven't made a single cent off of melee.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
He may not be a threat in singles, but if we team up, me and BO have an unstoppable team in doubles. First is ours for the taking. Not even an M2K/Ally team would stand a chance (ok maybe those two would completely destroy us, but as far as BC goes, we have the ultimate team tactic... UNPLUG THE CONTROLLERS!!!!! :p)

But in seriousness, we did friendlies during Phoenix 1, and had a major winning streak going.

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
A lot of people have been unable to make it to tourneys because of lack of money. It just works well for our community IMO.

It's kinda hard to take it jokingly when so many people say things like that seriously. v.v I hope you have fun at this though. =]

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
Yeah, you should be like me and take all brawl tournaments seriously.

... that is, unless you've played way too much brawl and someone has a melee set-up and you throw your tourney matches to play melee for the first time in forever since no one who goes to your local smash fests play melee because all those people have their own place they play melee so you're stuck in a non-melee tournament which actually gives you the opportunity to play melee so you throw your brawl matches to play melee.

Moral of the story:

64 > melee and brawl. You all haven't experienced enough 64 to understand that fact.

Clouderz

Smash Ace
actually jake
brawl is really easy to pick up, and is REALLY easy to be good at, you just have to put the time into it and you'll see its nothing more than rock paper scissors

but ofc i dont need to put time into this game, i havnt touched this game since like, the last tournament we had, im already TOO GOOD

^_______^

bundtcake

Smash Ace
The difference compared to Melee is Brawl has barely any technical skill involved, so while you may not have to worry about the months of practicing basic things like l-cancelling in order to have a shot of playing competitively, you still need to learn the metagames for all of the different characters, which definitely takes a while.

Or yeah, just pick up MK, and then you only need to learn the metagames for like, 4 characters.

Top Bottom