• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[VIC] 2011 CouchWarriors - 12th Nov - The Hive, Box Hill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
COUCH WARRIORS 2011

2011 SEASON

TBA - COUCH WARRIORS STAGE XLVIII

Where at?
The Hive 710 Station Street Box Hill Vic 3128

2011 SCHEDULE

June 11th - The Hive, Box Hill
July 9th - Monash University, Clayton
August 6th - The Hive, Box Hill
September 17th - The Hive, Box Hill
(no October event due to BAM)
TBA - The Hive, Box Hill

What time?
12pm - 10pm, on TBA.
Feel free to rock up at 11/11:30 for setup, the place has a lot of things i need to move to get ready in time (they have a ridiculous amount of furniture! so we surely won't lack tables/chairs).

How Much?
$5 bux venue fee, Teams for Melee is free, Brawl teams may have a pot, Singles for Melee/Brawl is $5 with pot split 60/30/10

Schedule?
Melee/Brawl teams sign up at 12pm, starts at 12:15, Singles at 3:00pm/3:15

Ok so there's like a billion ways to get to box hill, Either use the train station then walk down Station street to get to the venue, catch a bus (there's a bus depot with like 10 bus lines there) then walk down station street, or catch the 109 Tram then walk down station street. Either way you're gonna be on station street

If you can't figure out how to get to the venue for some reason, just talk to me here or on MSN at Phil_mc_crack69@hotmail.com

If you get lost, Call me (Redact) on 0401 355 419

RULES?

If you're not there when you're needed for a match, and you're holding up the bracket, I'll just DQ you, I really have no patience sorry. So eat/whatever when you have time to do so, not when you feel like it.

Melee
-Neutral-
Final Destination
Battlefield
Fountain of Dreams
Yoshi's Story
Dreamland 64

-Counter Pick-
Pokemon Stadium

First neutral is chosen with stage striking system. (1-2-1)
For singles, each player gets 1 ban with counter picking.
For teams, FoD is banned, Pokemon Stadium becomes a neutral.
1 ban per team.
All sets from Winners/Losers Semifinals onwards are best of 5. All other sets are best of 3.
Wobbling is bannnnnnned.
Bracket Manipulation is banned. Any offense that pertains to players modifying the outcome of a bracket based on factors such as (but not limited to) Prize Splitting, Intentional Forfeiting, Intentional Under-performance, and Outside Deals. This category may bring additional punishment immediately at the tournament by the Tournament Organizer such as being disqualified from the event or having your winnings forfeited to other placing players at the event.

Brawl Ruleset
Prices

Singles entry- $5.00
Doubles entry- $2.50 each
Free for all tournament- Free

Basics

1. 3 Stocks
2. 8 Minute Time Limit
3. Items set to "Off" and "None"
4. All infinites are legal.
5. Meta Knight's Infinite Cape Glitch and Extended Cape Glitch are banned.
6. There is a Ledge Grab Limit of 35 for Meta Knight only. If a game goes to time and player using metaknight goes over the Ledge Grab Limit, they will automatically lose the game. If both players are using Meta Knight and exceed their Ledge Grab Limit, then this rule is ignored.
7. The act of stalling is banned: stalling is intentionally making the game unplayable: Such as becoming invisible, continuing infinites past 300%, and reaching a position that your opponent can never reach you.
8. Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
9. The winner will be declared by what the game says in all situations, except for when players are presented with sudden death:
o In the event of a match going to time, the winner will be determined by who has less percent (stock difference still takes priority but will be shown in the results screen).
o If the match ends with both players dying at the same time (either coincidentally or via suicide move) or if time ran out with both players at equal percent, a one stock three minute rematch will be played on the same stage. For a tie-breaker match, a Ledge Grab Limit of 13 is used for Meta Knight, and 18 for all other characters to prevent stalling.

Teams

1. Team Attack set to "On"
2. Life stealing is allowed.
3. In the event of a timeout, determining the winner will be whichever team has a higher amount of stocks. If the stocks are the same, the lower combined percent team is declared the winner.
4. If a player is using the character Pokemon Trainer, Lucario, or Sonic, either team may request that team colors be changed to make it easier to tell the difference between team players.

Instructions on not messing up:

1. Player Priority is determined if it can not be agreed on. (See below for details)
2. Each Team selects one controller port to use for each Player.
3. Each Team selects one character for each Player. A double blind pick may be called by any player.
4. The first game is played on a Stage selected from the Starter Stage List either by mutual consent or through the Stage Striking Method. The order of stage striking will be 1-2-2-1 (Team 1 strikes a stage, followed by Team 2 striking two stages, with Team 1 then striking one of the two remaining stages).
5. The first match is played.
6. The team that lost the previous match may opt to re-pick controller ports (with themselves picking first).
7. The Team that won the previous match may announce two "Stage Bans" if they have not already done so in this set.
8. The Team that lost the previous match announces the stage for the next match from either the Starter or the Counterpick Stage List. Any Stage named as a "Stage Ban" by the either Team may not be selected. No Stage may be used by a Team that has already won on that Stage in this set.
9. The Team that won the previous match chooses one character for each Player.
10. The Team that lost the previous match chooses one character for each Player.
11. The next match is played.
12. Repeat steps 6-11 for all proceeding matches.

-Determining Player Priority-
If there is a dispute in controller port selection or initiating Stage Strike use the following method:
Teams agree to Rock-Paper-Scissors, otherwise it is determined with a coin-flip. The winning Team shall either elect to have first choice in port selection or first choice in Stage Strike. Whichever Team does not receive first choice in Port Selection will be compensated with first choice in Stage Striking.
Note: In Doubles, port selection is ordered 1-2-2-1 fashion (with Team-1 having first choice in controller slot select, Team-2 having both second and third choice, and the final slot going to Team-1).

Stages.

Starters

Battlefield
Final Destination
Pokemon Stadium 1
Yoshi's Island (brawl)
Smashville

Counterpicks

Battleship Halberd
Brinstar
Castle Siege
Delfino Plaza
Frigate Orpheon
Pictochat
Lylat Cruise
Pokémon Stadium 2
Rainbow Cruise

Even more rules

1. BYOC (Bring your own controller): Players are expected to bring their own controller and be prepared for every tournament set.
2. Pausing may be turned off by request and the request cannot be denied. In the event pause is on and is pressed, whether by accident or on purpose, the result will be a loss of the current stock for the perpetrating player.
3. Players who use the Wii Remote must take the batteries out of the Wii Remote when not playing. If the Wii Remote is still synced up to a Wii with the batteries in, you could unintentionally disrupt a match. If problems persist, a DQ may happen.
4. You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility (including battery issues with a Wii Remote), so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. Both parties need to agree if a match is to be paused or restarted because of these problems.
5. Intentional forfeiting, match fixing, splitting, and any other forms of bracket manipulation are not allowed and punishable by the TO.
6. No substitutions are allowed for singles or doubles.
7. Coaching is allowed only between games, not during. Failure to adhere to this will lead to punishment at the TO's discretion, which could include the removal from the venue.
8. DQ Rule: Arriving too late for a match will result in a DQ. Player(s) will have 5 minutes to show up before a loss of the first match. 5 more minutes results in a loss of the set. For doubles, both players on a team need to be present in order to play.
9. The tournament organizer has the right to save/record any tournament match if possible and has the right to upload said match.
10. Regarding textures and other game hacks:
o Players may request that any texture, stage, or other hacks be disabled during a tournament set. If this is unable to be done, they may switch to a different setup if available.
o The BBR-RC recommends players do not use intrusive texture and stage hacks.
o Players are not allowed to use any game altering hacks, such as no-tripping or model hacks. If someone is caught setting up a system they brought with such hacks enabled can face punishment at the TO's discretion.

FFA rules

All entrants will be split into groups of 4. A free for all match is played with a 4 minute timer. The aim of the game is self explanatory; you must try to obtain the most Kos agasint yours foes within the time limit. Stages are chosen at random. Top 2 will progress into the next round. This sequence will repeat itself until only 16 players are left, then only one player progresses into the final round. The person with the most KO’s in the final round is declared the winner.
(rules to be updated)

This follows the unity rule-set with some modifications.

Feel free to discuss these rules, Things can be changed.

New to the scene?
If you're new to the tournament scene here is a couple of frequent Q&A's:
"Is this for pros only?" - The tournaments are open for everybody. The skill range is diverse, so don't be discouraged from attending. Not everyone that comes to the tournaments are competitive. Most are friendly and welcoming of new people. A lot of us are also a fair lot more outgoing than your average gamer. We are a community-based legion of Smash Brothers.
"What is the average age of a Smasher?" - Smashers are your typical gamer age. Those that come to the tournaments are between 14 and 25 years old. Bring a friend. Or two.
"Who can I call if I need help?" - REDACT! On 0401 355 419.

PREVIOUS MAJOR EVENTS

An extremely detailed history of previous Melbourne majors:

@M, The University of Melbourne, Carlton (February 14, 2005) - 26 entrants
1st. Captain Jack (Kyoto, Japan)

SEAT, Kingston Arts Centre, Moorabbin (September 30, 2005) - 36 entrants
1st. Emily (Melbourne, VIC)

SEAT2, Kingston Arts Centre, Moorabbin (December 10, 2005) - 34 entrants
1st. Emily (Melbourne, VIC)

Comrades of the Anfology, Lower Plenty (January 27, 2007) - 51 entrants
1st. Bringer (Perth, WA)

Comrades 2, La Trobe University, Bundoora (June 9, 2007) - 48 entrants
1st. SephirothKen (Orange County, California USA)

Rambo [Melee, Brawl], University of Melbourne, Parkville (April 26, 2008) - 62 entrants
1st. CAOTIC (Melbourne, VIC)
1st. Kulla (Sydney, NSW)

Rocky [Melee, Brawl], Victoria Hotel, Melbourne (October 10-11, 2009) - 103 entrants
1st. Kas (Brisbane, QLD)
1st. Corpsecreate (Perth, WA)

Robocop [Melee, Brawl], CQ, Melbourne (October 1-3, 2010) - 80 entrants
1st. Mew2King (New Jersey, USA)
1st. Mew2King (New Jersey, USA)

See you next time (8

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
also i have half of the CW tvs currently stored at my place -- a day late eh? lol

oh well, good for smashfests

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
i dunno, aeroplane tibi is pretty ****

oi oi, add me on PSN: SqueeeWoxy

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
tibs says "I wont bro fist to high five, but I will do ginyu force dances, I'm cool"

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
Confirming now that the venue will not be the convent, we're now searching for other venues

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
OK. Could you provide a bit more information about the situation?

EDIT - I just read the CW threads. So it seems that tidyness isn't the real issue with rebooking, the underlying issue is that the Convent no longer wants any videogaming related events there anymore, as they are focusing on making the Convent more performing-arts focused. This is all from Redact's communications, as he's stepped up to the CW VP stakes.

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
I'll be looking into the possibility of hosting an event soon in some other fashion. A Febuary event via couchwarriors is looking shakey atm.

Dekar289

Smash Hero
1. cao made president of cw
2. cao finds venue
3. cao steps down
4. ????
5. PROFIT!!!

step 4 optional

Dekar289

Smash Hero
what i was saying is that step 1 should occur now, and cao can find a venue other than the convent
he's carried the scene for years, one more big favour before he goes thanks lol

Dekar289

Smash Hero
holy **** look at that goatee you know we mean business mother****ers

Jei Jei

Smash Champion
NNID
Jei_Soul
3DS FC
1564-4103-8935
I know this was said ages ago but we all look like straight-up posers except for Tom. That's true gangsta right there.

Dekar289

Smash Hero
so true jei, should just crop and enlarge tom and he can be the pic lol

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
so redcat, what's your february plans since a monthly venue is an issue atm?

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
There's none unless i contact john curtin, which is possible if people are willing to get gear over there.

I've found plenty of places that are not logical price wise for smash alone, i have been disregarding venues with low capacities when looking for cw.

Most recent plans got canned, everything is impossible without a venue :/

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
have you guys looked into hiring out a scout hall? im pretty sure they would be pretty cheap to hire.
All to small for Couch warriors, none of them are willing to take us in if we quote the normal turnout of 60-80

Nicks

Smash Journeyman
oh ok, what about primary school halls? my mum works at a primary school and I know that they hire out their hall to people.
In general, im pretty sure primary school halls will be bigger than scout halls.
btw im not trying to be pushy or anything, just trying to help out coz i want these tourneys to happen :)

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
oh ok, what about primary school halls? my mum works at a primary school and I know that they hire out their hall to people.
In general, im pretty sure primary school halls will be bigger than scout halls.
btw im not trying to be pushy or anything, just trying to help out coz i want these tourneys to happen :)
Might start to look into school halls, needs to be in a good location though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom