• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

3rd BEST *See Japan fundraising, prices, Melee stages*

tiger10x

Smash Apprentice
3rd BEST Extreme Smash in Troy

April 16

Changes since other BEST's:

Venue fee: We have a $5 venue fee, and all of this money goes directly to RPI's relief effort for Japan.

Singles entry fee: Changed to $10.

Melee stages: Rainbow Cruise, Brinstar, and Kongo Jungle 64 are banned for both singles and doubles. See stages below. Discussion for this is open, along with the Brawl stage list.

Schedule: Melee is before Brawl again.

Where:

Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute Student Union in Troy, NY at the intersection of Sage Ave and 15th St. Go to Google Maps and search for "Rensselaer Union, Troy, NY."

The tournament room is on the first floor this time, in a room called "Mother's." We'll have signs up directing people there. This is the same room as the one used for 2nd BEST.

Google maps image. Most people will probably come from 7/Hoosick St.

Zoomed in plus parking. Greens are definitely free, and yellow areas are questionably metered on weekends (including along 15th St).

Building image is how it looks from the intersection of Sage Ave and 15th St.

We can provide housing overnight if necessary. Contact us beforehand.

Prices:

$5 Venue fee - All money raised from this goes directly to RPI's fundraising for Japan.
$10 Melee singles
$10 Brawl singles
$10 Melee teams ($5 per person)
$10 Brawl teams ($5 per person)

Payouts:
Singles:
55/30/10/5

Doubles:
60/30/10

Schedule: (tentative)

Registration for each event will go until the event starts. Singles will include pools. There may be some overlap between ending Melee singles and starting Brawl doubles.

10:00am - Venue opens
11:30am - Melee doubles
1:00pm - Melee singles
5:30pm - Brawl doubles
7:00pm - Brawl singles
12:00am - Venue closes

Melee Rules:

- Items off.
- 4 stock, 8 minutes.
- Team attack on.
- Ties are broken by lives then percentage. Percentage ties will replay the match with one stock on the same stage.
- Regular sets are best of 3 matches. Winners finals, losers finals and grand finals sets are best of 5 matches.
- Controller mods are banned.
- Stalling is banned. This includes any excessive use of tactics like rising pound and wall-bombing in order to deliberately delay the match.
- Glitches like the Ice Climbers' freeze glitch and Mewtwo's Soul Stunner are also banned.
- Wobbling is banned.
- Modified Dave's Stupid Rule: The loser cannot pick a stage he or she has won on in the set unless agreed upon by both players. Additionally, if both players agree to play on a banned stage, that stage may be played as well.
- Gentleman's Clause: If the two players agree on a change in a rule, like choosing a banned stage, they are allowed to do so. If there is no agreement, standard rules apply.

Stages:

Neutrals 1v1:
Final Destination
Dream Land
Fountain of Dreams
Battlefield
Yoshi's Story

Counterpicks 1v1:
Pokemon Stadium

Neutrals 2v2:
Final Destination
Dream Land
Battlefield
Yoshi's Story
Pokemon Stadium

Counterpicks 2v2:
None

Set format:

1. Blind picks: Both players select characters.
2. Stage striking: Players eliminate stages from the Neutral Stage List until only 1 remains, and the players then play the first match on that stage. Players strike stages in a 1-2-2-1 order according to controller port number.
3. The first match is played.
4. Winning player of the preceding match bans a stage.
5. The losing player of preceding match picks stage for the next match.
6. The winning player of preceding match picks character.
7. The losing player picks character.
8. The next match is played.
9. Repeat steps 4-8 for all consecutive matches until the set is complete.

Brawl Rules:

- Items off and none.
- 3 stock, 8 minutes.
- Team attack on.
- If time runs out, if either player exceeds 50 ledge grabs, that player receives a loss. Otherwise the winner is determined by stock then percentage. Percentage ties will replay the match with one stock on the same stage.
- If the match ends with both players dying from a suicide kill (such as by Bowser or Ganondorf), the initiator of the move is declared the victor.
- Regular sets are best of 3 matches. Winners finals, losers finals and grand finals sets are best of 5 matches.
- Controller mods are banned. In addition, all people are responsible for their own control scheme/name tag and must make sure it is set before the match begins. Both players must agree to restart a match on account of a controller problem.
- Stalling is banned. Stalling is defined as any action that deliberately avoids all conflict as to make the game unplayable. Running from an opponent to get to a better position is not considered stalling, but using chain grabs infinitely against a wall beyond 300% or using Sonic's Neutral B repeatedly underneath the stage is.
- Meta Knight's infinite Dimensional Cape is banned.
- Scrooging is banned.
- Modified Dave's Stupid Rule: The loser cannot pick a stage he or she has won on in the set unless agreed upon by both players. Additionally, if both players agree to play on a banned stage, that stage may be played as well.
- Gentleman's Clause: If the two players agree on a change in a rule, like choosing a banned stage, they are allowed to do so. If there is no agreement, standard rules apply.

Stages:

Neutrals:
Final Destination
Battlefield
Smashville
Lylat Cruise
Yoshi’s Island (Brawl)

Counterpicks:
Delfino Plaza
Castle Siege
Halberd
Pokemon Stadium 1
Pokemon Stadium 2
Frigate Orpheon
Brinstar
Rainbow Cruise
Pictochat

Set format:

1. Blind picks: Both players select characters.
2. Stage striking: Players eliminate stages from the Neutral Stage List until only 1 remains, and the players then play the first match on that stage. Players strike stages in a 1-2-2-1 order according to controller port number.
3. The first match is played.
4. Winning player of the preceding match bans a stage.
5. The losing player of preceding match picks stage for the next match.
6. The winning player of preceding match picks character.
7. The losing player picks character.
8. The next match is played.
9. Repeat steps 4-8 for all consecutive matches until the set is complete.

Setups:

We'll have at least 6 tvs provided for us and no systems/games. At least bring those if you can't bring a tv.

Attendance:

Zaandaa/tiger10x
people
more people

T.O. contact info:
Name: Adam
AIM: Zaandaa
Email: tiger10x@yahoo.com
Cell: 207-649-0605

tiger10x

Smash Apprentice
Maybe. Depends on setups and time. You can probably run that if you want.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I notified Ithaca about this. Hopefully we can add some extra attendance!

I need to check to see if my schedule is free around there.

Gaia_x

Smash Champion
Interesting. Might make it. Think ill actually be in nyc at this time

tacoreaper

Smash Cadet
I had to play Brawl+ until Ryan showed up. Brawl+!!! Stupid Yoshi jump cancels and I kill myself.
Haha sry, I was recuperating from a long track practice...

Speaking of which, I'm not gonna be able to make 3rd Best, unfortunately... Track meets are on Saturdays... Hopefully I'll get back in time to play some friendlies at the end.

tacoreaper

Smash Cadet
Facebook event pages

Hey, so we have a facebook event page up for this tournament. Go and RSVP. It will make us look good.

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=200512216645905

ALSO we have another tournament on April 9th. It's not a big, fancy regional one like 3rd BEST, but all of the RPI crew will be there, and the more entrants we have, the better.

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=200027026685873&ref=mf

I'll ask zaanda to put these links in the original post for all to see, but for now, I'll just leave them here.

D13U

Smash Cadet
There should really be something like a $7 prize to 1st place for the one on the 9th... I'm not gonna give $5 and not get it back even if I win. =P

But I'll probably be at the 3rd BEST, at least.

Gaia_x

Smash Champion
Date change is causing me to not be able to make this. Which I could. Going to NYC on the 16th though

tiger10x

Smash Apprentice
I'm thinking about doing an amateur bracket for those not getting out of pools.

That tournament on the 9th is actually intended for the college rather than people active in the Smash community, and there are some prizes for it.

D13U

Smash Cadet
That tournament on the 9th is actually intended for the college rather than people active in the Smash community, and there are some prizes for it.
Is it so bad to be both? =P

What prizes? I haven't been able to find any heads nor tails of them. I'd love to play, but without any prize it seems kind of silly - even if it was just getting money back for winning.

Gaia_x

Smash Champion
I got wrecked in Canada. If they can beat my ike, surely you can vibe. 40$ money match?

Itsnotmyfault

Smash Journeyman
I will money match anyone on the PR list 6-10 as well as people not on the list. But not Vibe because I play you too much as it is.

Gaia_x

Smash Champion
Because we all know whay happened last time you let a puff go brinstar

Abate

Smash Journeyman
How many people are going to be playing melee? I'm 3.5 hours away but I might try and visit a friend at RPI.

Spamus43

Smash Journeyman
Thinking about going; but Troy's far away, so I probably won't feel like driving when it comes down to it.

Top Bottom