• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Apex 2012 SSB64 Event

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
Date : JANUARY 7th - 9th, 2012

Price : $5

You may be wondering why that date was chosen. Well, I can answer that easily...PRICE. The pricing of the plane tickets are DRASTICALLY cheaper, versus, summer flights. Imagine being able to visit NYC for less than $700 ( I know that, for Pound 4, some of the Europeans had tickets for $450 ).

So a cheap price is one thing but what else can I offer you ? What is it about Apex that will make you , the player, want to come. Well here are a few things you can take a look at.

Rules :

Competition Rules

Competition format is Double Elimination.
If possible, brackets are to be generated with a Random Number Generator (RNG). It is recommended Tournament Organisers have a consensus from players before any seeding/byes are placed in-bracket.

All sets with the exception of the below are best-of-3.
Winners Semis, Losers Quarters and Losers Semis are best-of-5.
Winners Finals, Losers Finals and Grand Finals are best-of-7.
Online matches are best-of-5, with Winners Finals, Losers Finals and Grand Finals best-of-7.

Set size is ultimately up to the Tournament Organiser, but these are general guidelines.

Game Settings

Mode: STOCK
Stocks: 5
Handicap: OFF
Team Attack: ON
Stage Select: ON
Damage: 100%
Item Switch: NONE
All Characters Available

Stages

The Starter Stage List consists of Congo Jungle, Hyrule Castle and Dream Land.
The Counterpick Stage List consists of Peach's Castle.

First match of all sets is selected by a 3-stage striking system with the Starter Stage List. An impartial observer/tournament organiser flips a coin to decide who strikes first. Rock-paper-scissors is alright too, but it's technically a skill irrelevant to smash. If this is impossible (online), whoever strikes first will be pre-decided by an RNG.

The 64 Recommended Ruleset uses the stage striking system. In this system, players take turns striking stages from the Starter Stage List until only one remains; these stages are not banned and can be counterpicked later in the set.

Characters

All characters are legal.

Black DK (Right-C), Dark Samus (Down-C) and Dark Falcon (Right-C) are discouraged if Congo Jungle is the stage for visibility reasons. The opposing player may reset the match without penalty if they wish for a colour change. Taking or dealing any damage nullifies this right.

Low Tiers are all characters in B tier and below: Yoshi, Donkey Kong, Jigglypuff, Ness, Luigi, Samus and Link.

Set Procedure
  • Players select characters for first match. Double Blind Picks may be called.
  • Players strike stages.
  • The first match is played.
  • The loser of the previous match selects the next match's stage from the Starter Stage and Counterpick Stage Lists.
  • The winner of the previous match selects their character.
  • The loser of the previous match selects their character.
  • The next match is played.
  • Above four steps are repeated if necessary.
General Guidelines for Console/Offline
  • Console is strongly recommended over using a Wii (frame skipping) or laptop, though laptops and Wiis aren't discouraged, particularly if there are special requests. A lagless laptop in particular is usable, as it has no frame skipping or input delay, but console is still strongly recommended.
  • The (U) version (NTSC) of Super Smash Brothers is recommended over (E) (PAL), (A) (PAL) and (J) NTSC.
  • If there are requests to play using Gamecube controllers, a Wii with the Virtual Console version of Super Smash Bros. can be used. Alternatively, suitable PC adapters may be used.
  • If there are requests to play using a keyboard/non-Nintendo/third-party controllers, a laptop set-up is recommended. Each controller user is responsible for bringing relevant adapters and drivers (on a USB stick), and to calibrate their own controllers.
  • Tournament organisers should discuss and organise these arrangements beforehand.
  • It is recommended a 8/10 minute time limit is put in place for all matches, especially Hyrule. This may be difficult to enforce.
  • Draws are decided first by stock, then by percentage.
  • Disrupting your opponent physically or intending to disrupt their play will result in a warning. Repeated action will result in disqualification from the tournament. Observers who physically disrupt players are to be dealt with as the Tournament Organiser sees fit. Disqualification is recommended if possible.
  • Pausing is discouraged, and should only be done at the end of a stock, if at all. At other times, the pauser loses their current stock. If the pause causes the opponent to lose their stock, the pauser loses two stocks.
  • Extreme stalling is disallowed. Any reported case of such will result in a warning, followed by automatic forfeit of the match. If this is reported again, automatic forfeit is enforced without a warning. If there is no movement from either player, the player with fewer stocks/loser percentage is considered to be stalling.
  • Pausing and resetting (A+B+Z+R) should not be done unless both players have given consent prior. It is strongly recommended all tournament matches are left to finish, without any resets, even for the sake of saving time. This clearly shows who would have (and did) win a match. If resets do occur and there is a valid dispute, the person who reset forfeits.
  • Mages DQ is enforced. When a match is called, both players must promptly arrive. If a player is 2 minutes late, they receive a warning. At 4 minutes late, they lose the first game of the set and forfeit counterpick rights. At 6 minutes late, they forfeit the entire set.
  • Pool play should preceded brackets play if the number of participants is suitably large. This is left to the Tournament Organiser's discretion, given 64 has low dedicated attendance rates.
  • It is recommended that drugs*, including alcohol, are prohibited at tournaments for the sake of both the venue and the participants. Legal issues are possible, and use of drugs in the vicinity of the venue by participants should be heavily discouraged or prohibited completely. Relevant Federal and State regulations on drugs obviously apply.
* Healthcare drugs such as insulin supplements (diabetes), Epi-pens (anaphalactics) or asthmatic inhalers (asthmatics) are exempt, given usage is by those suffering from the relevant conditions.

Housing

Our housing at Apex was Top Tier. We had many OOC players housed for free before and after Apex. This was not just housing with randoms this was housing with great people like myself and others. I never heard a single person complain about it. That offer will be given to anyone who comes to Apex from OOC.

The NYC Tour

Last tour we took everyone to Coney Island as part of the NYC Tour. With it being in January, we need some new places to go. NYC is the greatest place to go to in the winter. We have

ROCKAFELLA CENTER ( ICE SKATING! )
EMPIRE STATE BUILDING ( GREAT VIEW )
CENTRAL PARK ( ICE SKATING PLUS RANDOM STUFF )
CLUBS
COMEDY CLUBS

All this stuff that NYC has and has in abundance.

The tournament itself

What makes Apex so great? It is the best run tournament PERIOD. There is always time for side events. Yes we have SIDE EVENTS. Imagine going to a tournament in the United State where you can play

Brawl
Melee
Brawl +
Brawl -
Smash64 ( 25 people last time! )
Project : M

ANDDDDDDD you get to enjoy it with everyone!.

Bottom line is that the decision is up to yours. But think about it. Would you want to go to an event or a tournament. Apex is an EVENT. It is the single greatest event out there and you can really benefit from coming. Trust me you will have a great time.

If you want references to the results from last year :

64 Singles

BRACKET IMAGE

1: Sensei (¤66.00)
2: Nintendude (¤33.00)
3: Megavolt (¤11.00)
4: Jerry
5: Jband
5: Hamburglar
7: PC Chris
7: Vudugin
9: Scorpion Master
9: Wenbo
9: gunblade
9: Sharky
13: Mister E
13: Silver
13: ChuDat
13: Lefty
17: M@V
17: Jtails
17: Xivk
17: Fino
17: Sanuzi
17: smelly cat

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
I'll be there...but not for smash 64..unless I can find a keyboard adapter LOL

Battlecow

Play to Win
My man Miyagi claims that he can make 'em; he's already making me one. You should talk to him about it.

In other news, I might show, depending on how GENESIS goes.

The Star King

Smash Hero
If I was there, I would play, even though I'm a keyboard player too, and I'm garbage with a controller. You know, to rep Smash64. Shame on you, Koro.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
If I was there, I would play, even though I'm a keyboard player too, and I'm garbage with a controller. You know, to rep Smash64. Shame on you, Koro.
I don't own a smash 64 controller anymore. MattNF owns it. I don't have anything to use.

:awesome Way to assume :awesome:

Olikus

Smash Champion
This looks very tempting. Too early to know if I can go on this, but Im interested.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
Sorry to not include but it will be a $5 entry ( it is a side event at my major ) and we will be using the standard ruleset ( I will get a link to it but I believe it is Isai's that was made up.

Just saying thank you all for wanting to do this.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
Use the BRoom's rule set. It's the only thing not making them totally obsolete.

LLDL

Smash Hero
I'm working on finding a gamecube to n64 controller, which I'll use for this if it works out well. I have a Hori Pad, but it's just a little too small and I make more errors on it compared to the gamecube controller.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
King Funk please contact me I wanted to talk to you.

also thanks for the ruleset ( watching a movie after that and a shower I will handle this and other things ).

Olikus

Smash Champion
Sorry to not include but it will be a $5 entry ( it is a side event at my major ) and we will be using the standard ruleset ( I will get a link to it but I believe it is Isai's that was made up.

Just saying thank you all for wanting to do this.
Is it possible to have a little bit more buy in? Like 10 dollars or something? With more money it can maybe be more interesting for more people, and at the same time its still not expensive for people who dont wanna use much money. Just a suggestion, you do as you like ofc. =)

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
Well I left it at $5 and we had 25 people show up. I do, however, understand your concerns.

For now I think $5 is best. Also, if you are curious we streamed and recorded several matches for 64 and can do the same again if needed.

Olikus

Smash Champion
Okay. I guess 5 is good allso^^. Do you have a link to the recorded matches for last time? I dont think I saw any of those.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
Nintendude has them or vg bootcamp I forget.

Also we put them on a projector as well

The Star King

Smash Hero
Nintendude definitely doesn't have the vids, because I remember him complaining about them not being uploaded. There's been various Melee tournaments where VGBootcamp hasn't bothered uploading matches people know were recorded, so it's not really a surprise.

Olikus

Smash Champion
yeah I actually think i bumped the thread for that tournament and asked for the vids, but no one answered, so maybe it didnt get recorded at all.

And alex strife, you should put up an attendees list. One for people that are guaranteed to come, and one for people who might come.

LLDL

Smash Hero
I'll record the 64 videos this time if you guys are worried about them getting uploaded. I upload all of my stuff immediately.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Hey, Alex, will there be setups during the entire tournament for 64, for friendlies? Or just for the tournament?

Olikus

Smash Champion
Hey, Alex, will there be setups during the entire tournament for 64, for friendlies? Or just for the tournament?
I dont think this would be a problem. If its not enough setups, people who attend can just bring the stuff. If I go I can at least bring good 64 controllers.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
I'd bring multiple good 64 controllers, but I'm mad paranoid about someone making off with them, especially my almost mint condition green one I use.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Everyone has controllers except for people who don't know how to use them.

Plus Hamburglar's probably gonna come and you know he has 300 of the things.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Yeah, but then there'll be the odd person who didn't really plan on entering, and then decides he might as well and needs to borrow one.

Also that's pretty cool. I wish I knew where he finds them all. Everywhere I look, either out of them or all of them have broken sticks.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
if you guys want I can make sure there is a place for you to setup 64 for all three days.

All I ask is that you guys record TONS of matches and have commentary on some of the tournament sets.

Battlecow

Play to Win
We would be the best commentary team ever.

"WOW! I didn't even know it was possible to combo a Falcon punch into a Falcon Punch on Dreamland!"

"Yeah, America's had that one figured out for years *yawn*"

Olikus

Smash Champion
Just checked the dates. And 7th-9th of january 2012 are saturday to monday. Is it still those dates?

The Star King

Smash Hero
Just noticed that Mister E, who kept talking about how good he was, placed below Mango playing the game competitively for the first time.

Top Bottom