• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Apex 2012 SSB64 Event

Olikus

Smash Champion
I can help if I go. Still not sure if i go though. But I have experience with organizing big crowds outside smash lol.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Emulator is soooooo different from console. I can't move right on emulator, especially with Fox.

Also you might have controller-adapter compatibility issues. Some controllers just don't seem to work with certain adapters.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
I personally can play fine on an emulator, and if my opponent prefers that so that he can use an xbox controller or whatever I want to play on emulator too, so there are no johns if he loses and I get to play him when he's at his best.

But it seems silly to travel however far to play someone in real life and then play them on an emulator, which you could of just done at home at the cost of a frame or 2 of delay.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
I personally can play fine on an emulator, and if my opponent prefers that so that he can use an xbox controller or whatever I want to play on emulator too, so there are no johns if he loses and I get to play him when he's at his best.

But it seems silly to travel however far to play someone in real life and then play them on an emulator, which you could of just done at home at the cost of a frame or 2 of delay.
more blasphemy. 1-2 frames makes a big difference ;)

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
Whine all you want about your measly frames of differences, but the thing is that the potential of a far greater attendance can be achieved for Smash 64 if we implement emulator setups. Imagine how we could advertise the 64 event, we could try and get a lot of East Coast Kaillera players to come, something that I don't think has ever been done before. I'll bet you we can get double the attendance as last Apex with console and emulator setups.

Some people play with keyboards, some people with different controllers, some people stick to the original 64 controllers.

Do I have to come all the way from Europe and get DQ'd from smash 64 just because I'm a nub that uses a 360 usb controller...?

I know some of you guys will tell me "well learn to play on console". But I have literally NO ONE to play on console in my country. And my weird version of NTSC smash 64 on PAL console isn't really all that great.

And you know what?

I bet the MAJORITY of the smash 64 online community can tell you a similar story. If we had the chance to play offline, we would. But we all just don't have that opportunity.

Are you gonna stick to your joke of a "I'm old school" mindset or are you actually going to adapt to suit to the majority of the community?

It's all up to you.

Just my .02$.

Olikus

Smash Champion
Im a console ***** but i have to agree with funk. The more the merrier =)

ballin4life

Smash Hero
People not understanding what I'm saying:

Star King - I learned how to read like 15 years ago but thanks, I guess?

King Funk - obviously emulator will be good for people who don't play on console. All I'm saying is that it will be bad for people that do play on console because emulator feels very different.

TANK64

Smash Lord
offline emulator is not even close to console
*insert "obviously" jpeg here*

Choosing one will make one of the players weaker than usual. I think there should be a standard for regulation. I don't see how that standard should not be a 64 console for 1-v-1. Or have an IRL emulator tournament (like what you're talking about). Although for the whole US/world to travel that far to play emulator that just seems pointless. I actually think YOU are the minority in some sense, or just have really bad luck. Since you are a pretty good player, but doesn't play on the N64 controller, and are too far away to play most US online. Also, why don't you practice 64 controller online, I'm sure people will forgive you for sucking at first. If you do, the change won't be THAT drastic. No adapter for console (like I said, bad luck).

The way I see it, If I want to play online, than I have to deal with becoming instantly worse.

Nothing to do with being a console "purist" or "old school." Why should people who play on console be forced to play emulator in a console tournament.

If you want to make a difference, than throw an international emulator tournament :).

The Star King

Smash Hero
I was actually going to put something like

"lol hypocrisy" in a spoiler

but then I was like, "nah, nobody will say anything".

:[

Besides, I don't really create disagreements out of nothing. I'm just not the kind of guy, who, for example, thinks Luigi absolutely ***** Puff just because everybody says so. So you're right about the NON-CONFORMIST part.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
I'm not saying emulator should replace console. I'm merely saying it should be an addition for cases where people using different controllers have to play each other.

The adjustment required for a 64 pad user to play on emulator is not NEARLY as large as the one required for a alternative pad/keyboard player to play with a 64 pad, especially with well-made and thought adjustments.

At a swedish tourney, Olikus and me tweaked the settings for the 64 adapter to near perfection and he didn't complain about anything at all. He can tell you about that.

And also, when you called the online community the minority, it made me jump out of my seat.

Battlecow

Play to Win
I'm all about offline emu play

Because, you know, I'm unbiased.

srsly tho, it's not like it's pointless to play offline if you're gonna play on emu. The important thing about offline isn't the physical console, it's

A. Actually meeting and getting to know your opponents and playing beside them.

B. no delay.

Olikus

Smash Champion
We could just combine console and emulator. If two players meet and both prefer console they could play on that, and as long as the emulator works fine we can play that vs others. I at least would prefer to play against people when they play with a controller they can use. But ofc console should always be the first priority. And we should try to use it as much as possible when given the change.

TANK64

Smash Lord
And also, when you called the online community the minority, it made me jump out of my seat.
-____________-
...not what I said at all

I said good players who don't know how to use a 64 controller are the minority. I don't know much about European players, but most good 64 players in the US that I can think of use 64 controllers (or Hori?). If you mean OK (or bad) players that play keyboard only, than yes, that's probably the majority of 64 players.

The Star King

Smash Hero
That's not true at all, Tank. You probably think that because you don't play online.

NOT TAKING SIDES THOUGH

Sangoku

Smash Master
Maybe, but I don't know since I haven't played you for a long time. Except Smakis I don't know who would be the best 64 controller player. Might be you if you say so yourself.

Is there a list of players who are going to attend this already?

Olikus

Smash Champion
Maybe, but I don't know since I haven't played you for a long time. Except Smakis I don't know who would be the best 64 controller player. Might be you if you say so yourself.

Is there a list of players who are going to attend this already?
Well to start with your not bad yourselves, but I see your point. In europe the majority of the players plays on all kinds of controllers/adapters.

And yeah a list would be very good. Me and other players that travel far need to book soon to save money, and then it would be good to see a list of people guarantee to show up. Not travelling that far if no one show up :p

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
Well to start with your not bad yourselves, but I see your point. In europe the majority of the players plays on all kinds of controllers/adapters.

And yeah a list would be very good. Me and other players that travel far need to book soon to save money, and then it would be good to see a list of people guarantee to show up. Not travelling that far if no one show up :p
Well you can start practicing at Melee and Brawl too, so that you can make the trip more worthwhile. And I heard that Alex Strife will make all OOC people visit New York and stuff, which should be really fun.

Sangoku

Smash Master
I'm almost hoping about failing my exam so I can go there. Just kidding I still prefer passing.

Olikus: I might be "not bad" but definitely not good either. Depends what people call good though.

King Funk: with the time remaining do you think someone who doesn't play melee/brawl could improve enough to get out of pools?

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
yea it should be good for you guys.

also you dont have to be amazing to go to apex for all of those events...remember we will be doing giveaways, selling art, doing commissions....think of an anime convention but with a huge group of ooc ppl for a smash tournament :)

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
I'm almost hoping about failing my exam so I can go there. Just kidding I still prefer passing.

Olikus: I might be "not bad" but definitely not good either. Depends what people call good though.

King Funk: with the time remaining do you think someone who doesn't play melee/brawl could improve enough to get out of pools?
Nope but getting out of pools is not all that matters. What matters is having fun.

Best way to experience Apex is entering everything. It sucks if you go to an event and only talk and play with 20/30 people out of the 500 or more that will be there.

Sangoku

Smash Master
Yeah but are there many friendlies organised and if yes, are the good players willing to play with noobs? I doubt many of them will find fun to **** a newbie who can barely waveshine shffl or whatever.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
Yeah but are there many friendlies organised and if yes, are the good players willing to play with noobs? I doubt many of them will find fun to **** a newbie who can barely waveshine shffl or whatever.
Yes there are TONS of friendlies at every tourney in general.

Smashers are nice. Trust me.

And from what I've heard, there's more than enough setups to have a chance to play a lot.

Olikus

Smash Champion
regardless of how many games I will try, I still want an attendees list for 64 :p

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
I do not know much about the game. It would be unfair for me to say what is best. I think it should be console only because that was the way it was designed. At the same time there should be friendlies and setups for those who do not use an N64 controller.

I ask that someone offer to run this tournament. As you know I will be very busy with a lot of aspects of this event and I feel bad in saying I will not have time to run side events at all. If anyone is interested please IM me on aim/msn. I thank you all and I want to make sure you all have a great time. Please im me soon I would like to get someone trustworthy to run this.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
My main concern is that this will be run during an important part of the Melee or Brawl tournament. Last time we lost a lot entrants to the Melee hype towards the end of the bracket (or people actually playing in the Melee bracket). That should not happen again.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
My main concern is that this will be run during an important part of the Melee or Brawl tournament. Last time we lost a lot entrants to the Melee hype towards the end of the bracket (or people actually playing in the Melee bracket). That should not happen again.
Sunday

9-11am : Check in
11am - 12pm : Giveaways
12pm - 2:30pm : Brawl Doubles bracket continued / Smash64 Starts
2:30 - 6:30pm : Brawl Singles Bracket
6:30pm - 8:30pm : Free Play
8:30pm - closing : Closing Celebration / Clean up
that is when I scheduled the event. For the most part Melee will be done and Brawl doubles will be finishing up. We wont be running anything else until Brawl doubles is completely done.

Again guys I need someone to step up and take over this. I can help but I have too much going on. You know I do not mean to push you guys to the side but the entire event runs through me and a few others so we need to handle other things. Is anyone willing to run this?

hamburglar

Smash Journeyman
i'll be there. like battlecow said, i'll bring 3,000 controllers(all with 2 new joysticks) & 45 n64 systems.

for real though, I always have extras for those who want to enter and don't have a decent stick.

nintendude and I can co-TO (i'm up for it. we did it last time. i havent asked him yet but i'm sure he wouldn't mind.)

edit: nintendude will probably be focused on melee so I can TO this on my own. If we have the same turnout as last time or better, I'll be pushing for a 64 teams tourney as well. (something we didn't have time for last time) this would require the 64 community to step up and bring tvs and systems for us. last time we had a hard time squeezing the tourney in because we were fighting for tvs since everyone who brought one was there for melee and not 64.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
What is "AllBrawl" on the schedule? I think that during the 2nd part of Brawl doubles is definitely the best time to have it if it has to conflict with one of the main events. I'll also co-host with hamburglar since Melee will be done by then and I'm not gonna bother entering Brawl this time.

How would you feel about pushing everything on Sunday an hour earlier? It wouldn't be any earlier then Friday or Saturday stuff and then maybe we'd have some more time.

Top Bottom