• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Apex 2012 SSB64 Event

dandan

Smash Lord
Just noticed that Mister E, who kept talking about how good he was, placed below Mango playing the game competitively for the first time.
i remember a$ telling me he was actually pretty good, and who knows, maybe mango is a prodigy in 64 as well.
armada will probably start playing online with the euro group (funk bought him a gc adapter :bee:) and we will see how good these melee phenoms can get quickly (though i understand he is pretty good).

there is a tourney this weekend in sweden that funk, armada and olikus will attend, with a 64 side event, and we will see how it goes.

The Star King

Smash Hero
maybe mango is a prodigy in 64 as well.
Oh, I have no doubt he is. But prodigy or not, it was his FIRST TIME (from what I've heard). No matter how talented somebody is, they should be able to beat good players when they first pick up the game.

But if A$ says so, I guess so, although I'm not sure how good A$'s definition of good is. I doubt it's as good as Mister E was making himself sound.

Olikus

Smash Champion
I didnt see mango on the bracket list. Did he use an alternative name for the 64 event?

Nintendude

Smash Hero
I watched Mango play and he wasn't any good. He used Falcon and figured out that up-air is good for comboing, and other than that he just played very safely.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Edit to information before: if I can get a controller (such as at the event), I plan on joining regardless to the n64 tournament. just don't expect anything more than a bad Pikachu or a bad Falcon LOL.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
Well here is my thinking.

Alot of the people that entered the last Apex SSB64 event entered because it was cheaper. I understand some may want $10 but in reality I just think it would be best at $5 unless there is a huge push.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
rules are up now :)

anything else u guys need let me know.

Also, what is the general view on the Cargo Hold? I wanna make sure everything is set for that as well.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Check the BR ruleset or ask one of those guys, but I believe it's allowed because it's escapable. I don't remember it ever being a problem before anyways; it doesn't work as well as it seems to in those Isai vids.

And yeah, the 64 people probably want a bigger price/pot, but for the melee/barwl crowd $5 might draw them in to give it a try.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Raising the price would be dumb, seeing as how 64 isn't exactly very popular already. Don't do it.

firo

Smash Ace
I had little excuse not to come to the last Apex, so I'm gonna try and catch this one, as long as SSB64 is played on actual n64 consoles and not wii's. Maybe I'll dabble in some of the other games. Who here plans to come?

Olikus

Smash Champion
I had little excuse not to come to the last Apex, so I'm gonna try and catch this one, as long as SSB64 is played on actual n64 consoles and not wii's. Maybe I'll dabble in some of the other games. Who here plans to come?
I think there are around 8 poeple so far that might go. Alex should put up an attendees list. One for people that are sure to come and one for people(like me) who might come.

B Link

Smash Lord
Might be going to this since I'm vacationing in Jersey City anyway over the holidays. I only play 64 though lol not good at the other ones

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Just because this is n64...Pokemon Puzzle League MM anyone? I'll bring the game lolol

Sangoku

Smash Master
If I fail my exam in june I will have a free 1st semester next year (as I already passed it), which means holliday until end of january. Which means I might go. Chances are about 2.5% for now (even if I fail my june exam I'm not sure I'll be going for several reasons: money, I don't speak english well, I don't know anybody except from europeans on kaillera, ...)

Sangoku

Smash Master
Nope, it's failing indeed. I'm in first year medicine if that's not a good enough reason lol. Dunno about America but here it's like one of the most difficult s*** ever...
Oh and I don't count on failing, I said if ^^.

KSato

Smash Rookie
New Experienced Player

How does one sign up for these Apex tournaments? (I'm new to smashboards and the tournament-gaming world, but realized I'm relatively good after 4 months of college going undefeated amongst several players)

Sharky

Smash Master
signups haven't started yet for this, but check out tournament listings for info on stuff going on near you =D

bobbosv

Smash Rookie
Hey guys...yea i just signed up for these forums but my friend and i would also be down to come. Like someone else posted before i would really only want to play on n64s since thats what i have been doing since the game came out.

dookdigity

Smash Journeyman
Just because this is n64...Pokemon Puzzle League MM anyone? I'll bring the game lolol
I will play you! Not sure about money match, but I will play you and bring my setup for sure! How about a $5 money match? I only play for points. None of this bricks garbage (unless you want to play like that)

Also B-Rex and I were talking and we are pretty sure we are coming to this.

Can we also do a 2 vs 2 bracket? I wouldn't want to fly all the way from west coast just for a 1 vs 1.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
I will play you! Not sure about money match, but I will play you and bring my setup for sure! How about a $5 money match? I only play for points. None of this bricks garbage (unless you want to play like that)

Also B-Rex and I were talking and we are pretty sure we are coming to this.

Can we also do a 2 vs 2 bracket? I wouldn't want to fly all the way from west coast just for a 1 vs 1.
I don't play points, just bricks.

5 minute matches are better

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
just the normal amount like in other types of games so 5 I guess for the first person to win 3 (as in to knock out all 3 of the opponent's pokeman's)

xenen

Smash Rookie
where will this be exactly, or is it unknown still? And if I can go, I could definitely bring my N64, game, and controllers if necessary.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
I believe during the previous Apex, it was held on Saturday Night so probably then (the 8th if I am not mistaken).

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
I honestly think Apex 2012 should have from at least 5 computer Smash 64 setups so that people using any type of controller can play against each other. The other day at a swedish tourney with Olikus we tested all sorts of adapters and stuff and we usually always managed to tweak them to near perfection. Console and VC smash 64 sometimes lag due to Link bombs or team matches while a good computer won't. People are being way too "purist" when it comes to playing on console or not but I believe we should really try computer setups out for Apex. They're in fact amazing and quite versatile, way better than most people make them out to be.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
I'm fine with using computer set-ups, but I can see why people would dislike it. Console can feel very different to emulators and I can understand people not wanting to adapt.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
Our venue is at Rutgers University for people wondering.

Since I am hosting this event I need to know who will be TOing this event. Nothing against you guys but I am running all these other events so I need a hand.

Top Bottom