• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MIST - Results topic up! http://tinyurl.com/3qvnl58

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master

Hello! This is MIST - Midwest Improvement Smash Tournament. It is the first in what is sure to be a line of premier midwest events aimed at bringing some of the worlds best players to our region to compete for money and help our community grow and get better. The Midwest has been considered the weakest region in the US for a long time now and I aim to do everything I can to change that. I hail from the west coast but after living in Missouri for four years now, this is where my heart is. I look forward to the day when the Midwest is once again truly considered a region to be respected.

Contact Information:

Please use this for any questions on housing, the tournament rules, directions to the venue, etc.

Zivilyn Bane aka Michael
816-288-1346 text or call, but texts are preferred.
AIM: ZivilynBane64
email: medes86@hotmail.com

The Venue: Meta-Games Unlimited
Name: Meta-Games Unlimited
Address: 3309 East Sunshine
Springfield, Missouri
Phone: 417-881-9390

The Venue is a local company called Meta-Games. They have a lot of yugio, magic, pokemon card tournaments there and sell a lot of cool stuff. It's an amazing venue. Occupancy of over 120. There is a very large projection screen we will use for Grand Finals. They have insanely fast internet we will use for livestream. They have concessions and vending machines. There will be side rooms for friendlies or other games. We will have the entire venue for ourselves the day of the tournament. They have tons of chairs and tables. We will however need to provide the TVs. So everybody needs to man up and bring what you can! We will have the venue from 10am to midnight. Here are some pictures:

From the back, viewing the projection screen.

From the back corner.

One of the three side rooms. Can be used for friendlies/whatever.

Tentative Schedule:
10am Registration/Setup
11am Doubles Pools
2pm Singles Pools
5pm Doubles Bracket
8pm Singles Bracket

Housing: This is a work in progress but I can GUARANTEE that housing will be available in some fashion. I myself can house 2-4 well behaved quiet smashers (I'm married and have two kids). There are others in our community that will be able to provide housing. Trust me, I will not stop bugging them until they give in.

Fees:
$5 Venue Fee
$15 Singles
$20 Doubles (20 per team/10 per person)

If you bring in a FULL setup (A Wii/GC, TV, Melee) and we use it your venue fee is waived. Any and all additional equipment you decide to bring is greatly appreciated and can only help to make a more fluid, efficient event. However each person bringing equipment is the sole responsible party for said equipment. Keep track of your stuff and be respectful of other peoples property.

People bringing setups:

-ZivilynBane x1
-Zantetsu x1
-Terrence x1
-Strong Bad x1 or 2
-Ugvts x1 + recording setup
-Terral x1
-Bert x1 + recording setup

Please post up if you can bring a set up and you will be added to the list.

The Payout:

BONUS POT!!!
As of right now we have a total of $440 going towards our bonus pot. This money has been graciously donated to us by the following smash players:
$250 - Saffy
$37.50 - Zivilyn Bane
$37.50 - Terry
$100 - Strong Bad
$15 - Terral

Singles
1st - 50%
2nd - 30%
3rd - 15%
4th - 5%
5th - $15
5th - $15
7th through 10th will receive prizes from Saffy (to be determined).

Doubles
1st - 60%
2nd - 30%
3rd - 10%
4th and both 5th place teams will receive prizes from Saffy for each player (to be determined).

Crew Battle?
Zantetsu had a great idea. Since this is the Midwest improvement tournament, we were thinking of maybe doing a "Midwest vs The World" crew battle at some point during the event. What do you guys think about that?

Rules
All Standard MBR Rules Apply.
[COLLAPSE="MBR Rules"]Stage List

Singles

Starter Stage List:

Dream Land: Fountain of Dreams
Past Stages: Dream Land
Special Stages: Final Destination
Special Stages: Battlefield
Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Story

Counter Stage List:

Kanto: Pokemon Stadium
Planet Zebes: Brinstar
Mushroom Kingdom: Rainbow Cruise
Past Stages: Kongo Jungle

Teams

Starter Stage List:

Kanto: Pokemon Stadium
Past Stages: Dream Land
Special Stages: Final Destination
Special Stages: Battlefield
Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Story

Counter Stage List:

Planet Zebes: Brinstar
Mushroom Kingdom: Rainbow Cruise
Past Stages: Kongo Jungle

General Rules

Items are set to off.
Stock and Time are set to 4 stock and 8 minutes respectively.
Regular sets are best of 3 matches.
The Tournament Host is the arbiter of all disputes.
Blind Picks: the first character selection of a set must be without prior knowledge of the opponent's character selection for both players.
Modified Dave's Stupid Rule: No player can counter pick a stage he or she has previously won on unless agreed upon by both players.
Gentleman's clause: any stage may be played on so long as both players and the Tournament Host agree to it, including banned stages. This can be used in tandem with the Modified Dave's Stupid Rule (MDSR).
Timed out matches will be determined by the remaining number of lives, then percentage of the current stock. In the event of a percentage tie, replay that match. Any Sudden Death match is strictly not to be played.

Additional Rules for Teams Play

Life Stealing is allowed
Set team attack to ON

Redwood Counter Pick System

Blind Picks character selection.
Stage Striking: Players eliminate stages from the Starter Stage List until only 1 remains, and the players then play the first match on that stage. Players strike stages in 1 2 2 1 order.
The first match is played.
Winning player of the preceding match bans a stage.
The losing player of preceding match picks stage for the next match.
The winning player of preceding match picks character.
The losing player picks character.
The next match is played.
Repeat 4-8 for all consecutive matches as necessary until the set is complete.

Players are responsible for their own general welfare in regards to the tournament. In other words, players are responsible for:

Being familiar with the rule set and stage list
Entrance and venue fees
Arriving on time
Maintaining personal hygiene
Controllers and Character Knowledge
Minimizing Johns

Sets are usually based on brackets which may be seeded at the Tournament Host's discretion. If your tournament is any other format, make a note to advertise it accordingly.
Some kind of stalling prevention is highly recommended. Since a definition of stalling is too potentially ambiguous here, all instances of stalling are determined by the Tournament Host.
Unnecessary delays in a set should be discouraged. This can occur before (not playing a match) or during (taking an unnecessary amount of time to counter pick) and after (not reporting) a set that has been called. The Tournament Host is recommended to keep tabs on set completion.
No more than the previous match should be replayed in the event of a rule violation and it is recommended that any disputes be brought promptly and quickly to the Tournament Host's attention.
When running a pool, the game count of each set in pool play should be recorded (i.e. whether the set was 2-0 or 2-1). Ra

Ugvts

Smash Cadet
Put me down for bringing a setup. As well as the recordingsness

BRING IT OOOWWWWNNN, THE MISTY!

Jace08

Smash Lord
woooow I don't even, this looks amazing. You guys are soooo generous! Way to get the oos pros to come here and show that the midwest isn't down for the count quite yet. This is really encouraging to mw residents like me

can't wait to play axe and kage! I've only played them both in teams before, never singles

edit: m2k you're cool too lol

like I really did have fun playing you all that time in lawrence, I hope you make it!

ORLY

Smash Master
if jace and THE WARRIOR are coming, then count me in

now i just gotta find a ride and somehow manage to wait two whole months for this

ORLY

Smash Master
@ORLY-did you take my name search bait? Hopefully we can get Kels to go. Yea I am sure there will be at least 1 IL car goin.
LOL no i don't namesearch myself

since my name is also an internet meme

.. it doesn't work quite as well as sliq

Kels88

Smash Lord
@ORLY-did you take my name search bait? Hopefully we can get Kels to go. Yea I am sure there will be at least 1 IL car goin.
Of course I'll go. Axe and I should team for this. Double pikachu!!!! I'll get mines in tip top shape for this.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Of course I'll go. Axe and I should team for this. Double pikachu!!!! I'll get mines in tip top shape for this.
Axe is teaming with Kage, or if Kage somehow can't make it, me. :p

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
I can't say I ever thought this could possibly happen, great job Ziv. And count me in as bringing a setup, plus my laptop if we need it for brackets. I'll talk to Ugvts and see if he has extra recording equipment I could hook up.

:phone:

Saffy

Smash Ace
wow saffy with the donation, though she was in need of money most of the time big O.O
You have no idea how much I want to go to a large tournament, I am a very kind girl though... I have never experienced the hype of a larger tournament. It's been my goal for the past 2 years. . Since with my fear of flying.. I can't really go anywhere.
I just don't think anyone respects me, But I hope this can help the smash community change their views about me.

Honestly I would prefer if this had brawl too (Since I play brawl and only know brawl players), but Zivilyn is kind of against making it both at the moment. Unless there is a venue and 2 days, could it be that way.

I really wanted to meet brawl players... Including you, Will, Lain, and a few others.
I am really happy with just Kage though, he is my favorite from Melee.

♥♥♥♥ Michael if you do read this please think about having brawl too~
I would love you forever. ♥♥♥♥

EDIT: I also plan on taking alot of pictures and footage, I hope everyone is okay with that. I wanted to make a youtube video out of everything :).

Oh and as far as prizes for 7th and 9th places? I'm not sure what to provide... I could do plushies? What do you guys think?

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
Saffy, currently the plan is to keep this event strictly Melee-only, and we are looking to have a Brawl-only event in September (tentatively September 10th). I definitely want to try to push for a large Brawl event, and Michael has told me that he's willing to help get the word out. I can't guarantee we'll be able to attract the same numbers, but we can certainly try.

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
I'm not against adding Brawl, but I'm hesitant to say it's a good idea. It would be great if M2K showed up, but the only reasonable way to add Brawl would be to make the event two days, which is only possible if we fall back to Plan B, in which case M2K said he would be interested in showing up anyway.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Adding Brawl is always a tricky process. I usually shy away from it cause I'm a huge TO scrub :denzel:

Will this mark the Midwest debut for both Axe and Kage? I wanna see if they can take out the MW Guardians.

Saffy

Smash Ace
I'm not against adding Brawl, but I'm hesitant to say it's a good idea. It would be great if M2K showed up, but the only reasonable way to add Brawl would be to make the event two days, which is only possible if we fall back to Plan B, in which case M2K said he would be interested in showing up anyway.
But with that being 2 days = More people willing to come = More Venue Money = Less money you will have to pocket out of your own?

Do people want to travel just for a 1 day tournament? What are the pro's/con's of that?

M2k wants brawl because it will benefit him more in the long run, and I don't see a problem with that honestly. If he can get the most out of a tournament that is smart thinking. I'd rather go to one that had both if I played Melee and Brawl.

Also I think it would benefit our community alot more than just the money part anyways. The social aspect and improving the skill in both our communities not just Melee. Seems like brawl is dying at Pathways and it makes me sad , everyone plays Melee except me and Linkz lol. But, I guess majority rules. I just better start playing Melee more huh?

If it is not possible I understand completely. I will still go (And get *****), I just hope we can plan for a brawl only tournament later this year then. I will donate to that tournament as well.

I love the melee community don't get me wrong <3. I can't wait to meet you all.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
You have no idea how much I want to go to a large tournament, I am a very kind girl though... I have never experienced the hype of a larger tournament. It's been my goal for the past 2 years. . Since with my fear of flying.. I can't really go anywhere.
I just don't think anyone respects me, But I hope this can help the smash community change their views about me.

Honestly I would prefer if this had brawl too (Since I play brawl and only know brawl players), but Zivilyn is kind of against making it both at the moment. Unless there is a venue and 2 days, could it be that way.

I really wanted to meet brawl players... Including you, Will, Lain, and a few others.
I am really happy with just Kage though, he is my favorite from Melee.

♥♥♥♥ Michael if you do read this please think about having brawl too~
I would love you forever. ♥♥♥♥

EDIT: I also plan on taking alot of pictures and footage, I hope everyone is okay with that. I wanted to make a youtube video out of everything :).

Oh and as far as prizes for 7th and 9th places? I'm not sure what to provide... I could do plushies? What do you guys think?
The feelings I have right now is.. so nice. I like this... I don't see how anybody cannot respect you, I respect you, dearly. This is really too awesome to be true.. And.. well.. you'd have to get 6 plushies for all the 7th and 9th placers. Is that affordable? Or maybe you should make them fight for it at the end. haha. I'll make sure there's tons of hype.

Adding Brawl is always a tricky process. I usually shy away from it cause I'm a huge TO scrub :denzel:

Will this mark the Midwest debut for both Axe and Kage? I wanna see if they can take out the MW Guardians.
Guardians? lol.. I've faced gods and now I have to fight guardians? *Shakes head* j/k. it's gonna be sickkkk!!!

But with that being 2 days = More people willing to come = More Venue Money = Less money you will have to pocket out of your own?

Do people want to travel just for a 1 day tournament? What are the pro's/con's of that?

M2k wants brawl because it will benefit him more in the long run, and I don't see a problem with that honestly. If he can get the most out of a tournament that is smart thinking. I'd rather go to one that had both if I played Melee and Brawl.

Also I think it would benefit our community alot more than just the money part anyways. The social aspect and improving the skill in both our communities not just Melee. Seems like brawl is dying at Pathways and it makes me sad , everyone plays Melee except me and Linkz lol. But, I guess majority rules. I just better start playing Melee more huh?

If it is not possible I understand completely. I will still go (And get *****), I just hope we can plan for a brawl only tournament later this year then. I will donate to that tournament as well.

I love the melee community don't get me wrong <3. I can't wait to meet you all.
Well, the huge con about that.. is that it's much much harder to handle.. I guess that's why they plan on doing a Brawl tournament just a month after this one. That seems fair enough to me. And also.. you'd require a lot more setups since on average Brawl matches take longer I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom