• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pathways Smash XI July

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/PathwaysSmash
AllIsBrawl: http://allisbrawl.com/ttournament.aspx?id=12242
Springfield, MO discussion thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=298346
Organizer/Host: Terral

No venue fee; tournament fees will not surpass $10, but there isn't a solid plan just yet. Please bring your own controller. We are planning to start at 1:00 PM, arriving earlier than that is unwise if you don't enjoy standing around.

July will pick up the slack from the June tournament, featuring a SSB64 bracket, Brawl singles and doubles, Melee singles, and SSF4. Brawl will be an emphasis at this tournament, because Melee has dominated the last several months. It's only fair. Melee doubles will happen if we have a strong Melee showing or if there is enough time.

In the case of Melee severely outweighing Brawl again or large attendance numbers overall, Linkz will assist me in organizing the Brawl events. Both games will run at the same time, and playing in both games will be discouraged. We will have Brawl and Melee singles and doubles, along with SSB and SSF4, which will run when there is open time.

If your match is on a recorded setup, please use identifying nicknames so that Ugvts has an easier time keeping track of who is who when he uploads them.

March tournament will feature a normal double elimination singles bracket, and a double elimination Melee singles bracket. We will also try to do doubles brackets for both of these games. If the match is being recorded, please use identifying nicknames so that Ugvts has an easier time keeping track of who is who when he uploads them.

In parallel, we will hopefully be running a Super Street Fighter 4 double elimination bracket, but this is not promised.

If we end up having side tournaments, they will likely be single elimination, and games may include: Soul Calibur 4, Tatsunoko vs Capcom, and Super Smash Bros 64 (Virtual Console). There is also the possibility of a Super Street Fighter IV double elimination tournament.

If you plan on showing up, it would be ideal to contact Terral in advance. This is to ensure that we know how many people to expect, and won't start the tournament before everyone has arrived.

Tournaments are scheduled for the third Saturday of each month, but this may change on a monthly basis.

For the curious, there should be some kind of food and soda, and the venue has water fountains. Expect pizza, but there's a chance we will need to pool together money.

If you think you may need to text someone, Terral can provide a cell phone number.

Venue Details

Name: Pathways United Methodist Church
Address: 1232 E. Dale Street
Springfield, Missouri, United States

Don't break anything, keep to the rooms where the tournament is in. The tournament will most likely be in the basement; facing the main parking lot, there is a dark metal door by a window and drain-thing, inside the door the basement stairs are to the left.

Rules[COLLAPSE="Brawl"]Using the newest version of the BBR Unity Ruleset, with added match-up specific rules.

Double elimination
3 stocks, 8 minute timer, items off/none
Best 2 of 3, 3 of 5 for finals (or 2 of 3 if players agree)

Match-up specific rules:
- If a character matchup is chosen that has a character-specific infinite or near-infinite, if the character with an infinite counter-picked the other player, the disadvantaged player may choose to reset the character selection process (they choose a different character, opponent counter-picks again; this can happen only once)
Affected:
Dedede's standing infinite (Mario, Luigi, Samus, Donkey Kong)
Marth's re-grab (Ness, Lucas)

First round of a set:
- select characters for first set
- strike out stages from starter: one player strikes two stages, other strikes three, first strikes one.
- each player may ban a stage for the set
After:
- loser chooses counter-pick stage*
- winner chooses character
- loser chooses character

- When choosing a character, multi-character slots are to be specified (ie ZSS or Samus, Shiek or Zelda); Pokemon Trainer can alternatively be randomized

* You can't counter-pick a stage that you've already won on in the set, unless agreed upon

Starter:
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
Battlefield
Castle Siege
Final Destination
Smashville
Lylat Cruise
Pokemon Stadium 1

Counterpick:
Battleship Halberd
Brinstar
Delfino Plaza
Frigate Orpheon
Pokemon Stadium 2
Rainbow Cruise[/COLLAPSE][COLLAPSE="Melee"]4 stocks, 8 minute timer, items off/none
Best 2 of 3, 3 of 5 for finals (2 of 3 if players agree)
Wobbling is banned

Character choice/stage selection is identical to Brawl's rules.

Starter:
Dream Land: Fountain of Dreams
Past Stages: Dream Land
Special Stages: Final Destination
Special Stages: Battlefield
Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Story

Counter-pick:
Kanto: Pokemon Stadium
Planet Zebes: Brinstar
Mushroom Kingdom: Rainbow Cruise
Past Stages: Kongo Jungle

Doubles changes:
Starter: Pokemon Stadium
Banned: Fountain of Dreams[/COLLAPSE][COLLAPSE="Smash 64"]5 stocks, items none
Best 2 of 3, recommended 3 of 5 for finals
DK's infinite cargo hold is banned

Starter Stages: Congo Jungle, Hyrule Castle, Dream Land
Counterpick Stage: Peach's Castle.[/COLLAPSE]Super Street Fighter 4:
Play for best of 3 best of 3, with finals being best of 5 best of 3. Double elimination. Random stage, since picking is pointless.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
There's a good chance I'll be at this. However it appears to be a month long tournament.

"Midwest Brawl, Melee & 64: Pathways Smash XI July - June 16th-July 16th, 2011 - Springfield, MO, USA "

Lol just getting, month long or not I'LL BE THERE FOR SURE!

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
KcGamers, no problem with any facility. We have a great venue.

Terral, are we for reals not having Melee Doubles this time? I don't see how justifying that with "it's only fair" is reasonable.

There were 25 entrants for Melee last month and maybe 8 for Brawl. The fact is, the priority should be given to the game with the most entrants. Does that not make sense?

I think if our Brawl community wants more attention than it is up to them to step up and promote our tournaments. I spend a LOT of time PMing, chatting, calling, texting, and otherwise communicating with Melee players and basically begging them to come EVERY month. I want to know how many communication attempts are made by our Brawl players inviting players from other cities. I take Melee very seriously and strive to get better. The only way is to play better people and if I'm doing a good enough job to get nearly 30 entrants at a local, why are we going to turn our backs on that and give the priority to the game where the players don't REALLY care. They might have showed up and wanted to play, but they're not doing anything to help their game grow. Even Linkz (whom I love) appears to have no problem just playing the same people every month as long as he gets an 8 man bracket going.

Let me know please because this is a serious issue. If there is no plan to have Melee Doubles, and the focus will be on Brawl regardless of turnout, I will probably just tell everybody to not come this month. I don't want 20 smash players driving from three different states just to play in one Melee event.

-Sinister-

Smash Ace
^. melee dubz IZ happnin.

and it's no offense to brawlplayers, but if brawl is the focus, como is a no go.
(although we'll prob end up coming anyway cuz playing with the springfielders iz 2 much fun).
but no melee dubs HAS to happen. besides most of the people playing melee don't even play brawl anyway (unless i'm mistaken) so we could just do both at the same time.

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
Well we can almost definitely do Melee doubles, but it likely won't be buy-in and I want to just make sure that Brawl singles/doubles happens. From what I heard, Linkz has been reaching out to other Brawl communities, which is more why I wanted to make sure this one had a Brawl focus. My choice to exclude Melee doubles from the first post is more because I want to be 100% sure that all of those other events happen that I listed. I don't believe there will be a problem with fitting it in, but just in case. I also know that a good chunk of the people who came last month for Melee won't be here again. If we do get a respectable showing of Melee players again, we can adjust the plan accordingly in relation to whether or not we're getting Brawl travelers.

Saffy

Smash Ace
I would help, but I know no one in Missouri that plays. Hell I don't know anyone. There are bound to be people who play it for atleast fun in Rolla (Because of the College), But I have no way of finding that information out. Otherwise I would bring my friends... but I have none outside of the smash community.

It's not true to say we aren't doing anything though. David wanted to bring St. Louis last tournament. If they did go it would of been embarrassing for him because brawl never happened. I don't think you should focus the next tournament on brawl honestly. I'm not going, and David isn't going (I think).

I won't be at a Pathways until September I believe... August is a maybe. But I am not confirmed. MIST is 100%. So I hope I see all of you there <3 Just if only I could convince my parents to let me stay longer!

Though honestly I might start playing melee only, I'm having alot of fun with the game even if it's with the cpu's . Luigi is alot more fun in Melee. I always like new challenges, so I want to make one of my goals to get better. No brawl motivation..., Plus having Strong Bad close by makes it even better :D.

Massive

Smash Champion
There are bound to be people who play it for atleast fun in Rolla (Because of the College)...

Though honestly I might start playing melee only, I'm having alot of fun with the game even if it's with the cpu's . Luigi is alot more fun in Melee. I always like new challenges, so I want to make one of my goals to get better. No brawl motivation..., Plus having Strong Bad close by makes it even better :D.
Playing melee in the TJ north lounge is how the original Rolla crew was formed back in '04.
Find somebody that can get you in and set up a gamecube/wii on the bigscreen around 6pm.

I can almost guarantee you will find some people to play with in under an hour-assuming it's during the school year, anyway. Actually, a girl playing smash in the north lounge might only take about 5 minutes to draw a crowd.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
Yeah Massive is right Saffy. Especially a girl that looks like you. You could probably sit there and play ANY game and draw a crowd in just a few minutes. But please stick with smash lol.

Saffy, the point though is to get the Springfield crew players to draw more ppl. I know David and you would like to promote the tourney more. But as much as we love you guys you're not Springfield. And had David brought more people there would have been a much larger chance of being a real brawl bracket.

The thing is this: I don't want Melee players punished for drawing large crowds and not taking initiative to get brawl going. That's not our job. Did you see me at Pathways? I was yelling, hollering, and trying to help get Melee running and organized as much as possible. I stepped in and took some initiative because I knew there were a lot of melee players and that we needed to start early to get everything done in time. Terral does a great job but when we get that many people he needed a little help and I had no problem helping. I had requests from KC, STL, and Arkansas to hurry up and get started so they could all get home at a decent hour. I didn't have a single Brawl player ask me anything (which makes sense cause I don't play brawl) and I didn't even know you and David had left before a bracket got started until Melee singles was almost done. But I really feel like the blame for that is being put on Melee, when in all actuality it should be the responsibility of the local brawl players to get their brackets going. I wouldn't expect Linkz to step in and start organizing melee.

Now with that said, we had our little meeting and Linkz clearly stated he's ready to step up and get Brawl going next time. I'm confident in his ability and leadership to make that happen. With our community growing rapidly and attracting attention from traveling players, there's a good chance that many of our tournaments from here on out will have to be ran at the same time in order to prevent people from driving four hours and only seeing one half *** event. And that's just going to have to work. I think having this type of structure is going to be good for us. Terral is the head TO, Linkz is the Brawl coordinator, I am the Melee coordinator. So Terral, your job could be to handle the money (entrys, payouts, food $, ect), create the brackets, upload, ect. Linkz and I will mainly just help promote, and organize and keep things running fluidly. How could that fail? I'm extremely confident in our ability to get this going. The only people that suffer are those that want to play in both but that happens at every big Brawl/Melee event. I'm just glad we're finally able to crack that 20 person mark that has been our goal for a long time.

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
We had one other tournament where we had 23 people total. I'm amazed we topped 30 at this one.

The parallel structure is probably the only way to get anything done if we have 20+ players. Difficulty there comes from people wanting to play in both, so that should probably be discouraged up to a point. And along the lines of what Ziv was saying, I hardly got anyone telling me to get started with Brawl or anyone offering to help out. I just eventually heard that people were setting up an unofficial Brawl mini-bracket and Saffy had left, then Magnum left some time after that. Organizing tournaments is a big stretch for me and not exactly my element, so even when I'm trying as much as I can (and getting better each event) I still have trouble adjusting when we get so many more players. We literally doubled our normal player count this last tournament, and all of the new players were Melee. I'm glad Linkz volunteered to help out with Brawl in the future, so everything should go much more smoothly.

We'll see how our attendance is looking, because my decision to put more focus on Brawl in July was largely because I figured we won't get the big Melee crowd that we did in June due to Genesis and people not feeling like making the trip back. The idea wasn't to punish Melee, but more to try to bring more to the Brawl group. Things just need to work out so that everyone who shows up will be happy.

Saffy

Smash Ace
Well I wasn't really that upset with no brawl, I just actually go to hang around you guys :). But I do have intentions of getting alot better whether it be brawl or melee.
I know David was a little upset about it though. But yeah I can understand how hectic a tourney is, I hosted an online one for wifi singles and I couldn't take it lol.

Playing melee in the TJ north lounge is how the original Rolla crew was formed back in '04.
Find somebody that can get you in and set up a gamecube/wii on the bigscreen around 6pm.

I can almost guarantee you will find some people to play with in under an hour-assuming it's during the school year, anyway. Actually, a girl playing smash in the north lounge might only take about 5 minutes to draw a crowd.
I really don't know ANYONE in Rolla, except when Strong Bad moves. ;=; I should go out in public more, but I'm way too shy to just start talking with guys. I've seen video gamers but I just couldn't talk ... But lol... Why are people soo impressed by female gamers? Is it really that much of a rarity? D: Hell why don't more girls even play, Video games are the ****. Especially fighters.

Yeah Massive is right Saffy. Especially a girl that looks like you. You could probably sit there and play ANY game and draw a crowd in just a few minutes. But please stick with smash lol.................
I have no intentions of playing any other game competitively. I really don't have many games I can list that are better than smash.

Well I asked Terral a few times to start the brawl bracket, but I am not blaming him or anything. He was REALLY busy, and I can understand that. I honestly don't mind I didn't get to play, I would rather get to talk to everyone than play smash. But if I can do both then ♥! I really don't mind though so don't feel bad. We had brawl friendlies up , so that was wonderful. I just feel bad that David had to drive 8 hours total for no bracket.

I'm sure Linkz will do a good job too! Splitting jobs is a better idea. Not as much stress and pressure on each of you.

I don't think I want to try in brawl anymore... I'm on a melee kick... I want to get better for MIST. ;=;
You should post flyers or something though if you are looking to get new people. :) I'm sure there are many in Springfield who would enjoy being part of the community. It's just finding a way to reach out to them!

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
You're right about the flyers. Does anybody have a decent color printer? Somebody should make an attractive flyer. We have a lot of artists in our group so somebody should make one. I personally am thinking about making a huge banner to hang at MetaGames until the next tourney. But should I do something on paper or should we purchase a banner like they did for the columbia tournament?

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I can't go to this. Genesis 2. Sorry guys. Last time was really fun though <3

Saffy: it's all good, I'll introduce you to the Rolla crew after I get it together. :p

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
Well you'd better make it for MIST, then. And the August monthly.

KcGamers

Smash Cadet
You're right about the flyers. Does anybody have a decent color printer? Somebody should make an attractive flyer. We have a lot of artists in our group so somebody should make one. I personally am thinking about making a huge banner to hang at MetaGames until the next tourney. But should I do something on paper or should we purchase a banner like they did for the columbia tournament?
I can help you out with the flyers being printed... how much do you think a banner is going to run you and how many 4x6 flyers are you wanting... I have a really good business I go through to get mine printed and the quality is top noch and are quick. If you make your 4x6 flyer you can re use what ever you do not use the first time. I normally run out... and I do about 2500 flyers..... its right around 100.00 maybe a little more but not much... I can not do the graphic work.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
Sinister, what do you mean?
Sorry lol Sinister is just a little blunt. What he means is that for a banner and fliers we'd be looking to spend maybe 20 bucks since it's just something for one time use. We will probably just paint up our own and print out some fliers. I need to get on it though cause the tourney is just over a month away.

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
We are going to be fully switching over to the Brawl Unity Ruleset for this tournament. The only modification we are keeping is the match-up specific rule that everyone I've talked to seems to think is a good idea.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
What is the entry fee/expected turn out for this event for Brawl?

I might come out if my work decides to put up the schedule for next week at some point in the near future.

If I do come, I would need a teammate for Brawl Doubles :)

And <3 the Lucas Anti GR rule. Time to play my new main :)

KcGamers

Smash Cadet
Sorry lol Sinister is just a little blunt. What he means is that for a banner and fliers we'd be looking to spend maybe 20 bucks since it's just something for one time use. We will probably just paint up our own and print out some fliers. I need to get on it though cause the tourney is just over a month away.
For our event up here I spend about 100 on flyers with about 2500 flyers printed in 4 color gloss front and back. Then I do Vynal banners that I can use more than once I keep using the same banner over and over... works out great... For my mid-night releases I use a simple color copier and make about 200 copies that have two on each page... cut in half done... and away we go....

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
For our event up here I spend about 100 on flyers with about 2500 flyers printed in 4 color gloss front and back. Then I do Vynal banners that I can use more than once I keep using the same banner over and over... works out great... For my mid-night releases I use a simple color copier and make about 200 copies that have two on each page... cut in half done... and away we go....
That definitely makes sense....for a business. But we're just a bunch of Joe's. We don't have the financial capabilities to do that kind of stuff. Our community is already fronting $440 for a bonus pot and sponsoring a players flight round trip from Arizona.

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
What is the entry fee/expected turn out for this event for Brawl?

I might come out if my work decides to put up the schedule for next week at some point in the near future.
Entry fee and expected turn-out is a bit tricky, because I know our local Brawl scene doesn't like entry fees too much. $5 would probably be pushing it, but we can easily do $2. If we get at least a fair amount of interest from traveling players, we can probably do $5 singles and doubles for Brawl at the possible expense of a couple local players. Our normal Brawl crew is around 10 people.

DeLux

Ok. I would just like the opportunity to make back the $45ish that I would lose taking off work to see what you guys have going on. Not saying I would necesarily win, but the chance to do that would be nice.

What has turnout totals been in the past few tourneys?

KcGamers

Smash Cadet
That definitely makes sense....for a business. But we're just a bunch of Joe's. We don't have the financial capabilities to do that kind of stuff. Our community is already fronting $440 for a bonus pot and sponsoring a players flight round trip from Arizona.
Are you talking about devastation in Arizona? Have you bought the ticket yet? I'm debating on driving or flying. A friend of mine runs that event. VIP for me...lol

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
Ok. I would just like the opportunity to make back the $45ish that I would lose taking off work to see what you guys have going on. Not saying I would necesarily win, but the chance to do that would be nice.

What has turnout totals been in the past few tourneys?
We've only done one paid Brawl event, which was a $1 Brawl singles. However, we also haven't gotten many travelers for Brawl. The last few Brawl events have had 10-12 players, almost entirely local. We typically get more travelers for Melee, but I'd love to see people come this way for Brawl. I can try to see if I can interest more local players to come for Brawl.

Massive

Smash Champion
I'm thinking about coming to this as a warmup for MIST.
If I cancel Massivesmash on that day as well most of the KC crew will probably join me, lol.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
I'm thinking about coming to this as a warmup for MIST.
If I cancel Massivesmash on that day as well most of the KC crew will probably join me, lol.
That sounds like a glorious idea. If it helps you decide, we are officially banning all tornadoes this month :)

dmac

Smash Champion
I probably wont know if I'll be able to make this until the day before, depends on how much time i need to study for a reasonably important test on the 18th :(

DeLux

lol

I was just throwing in some Smash humor.

I still am waiting on my work schedule which will probably be the largest factor into whether I go or not. The other factor being if it's a money event and number of people.

The break down:
$10 events: 100% I'll come if I have work off

$5 Events: 75% Chance I'd come

$2 Events + Free Food for me: 50% chance I'd come :D

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
That's a lot of confidence from a guy that got 17th at BTEH :) I'm not so sure you'd be taking the money from our reigning champ, Linkz. (friendly rivalry instigation).

DeLux

lol

Well get Linkz to $20 Money Match me and I'll come for that.

Who does he even play?

DeLux

A competitive Zelda?
That's awesome. I wish I had the ability to be viable with that character (I actually pocket Zelda and had a streak where I used her at least once every tournament I played in).

You don't need to ask him if you don't want to just yet. I'm sure we can handle that the day of because I don't want to generate unnescessary hype since I'm STILL waiting for my damn work to schedule me. At the very least, let's wait until I let you know about my schedule, at which point if I'm free I'd be glad to MM him.

Top Bottom