• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why I want Impa in SSB4 instead of Sheik

Who should appear in Super Smash Bros. 4?

• Total voters

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well, basically this idea is not my own, rather it has been suggested by other members of the Smash Bros. 4 speculation thread that I should make this. As they seemed to get fed up with my constant ranting about this. And my ranting does not come without reasons, because I personally think this is a very good idea.

First of all, yes, I do think there will be character cuts for the new Super Smash game, as we had them in with Brawl before, and even though many says it's because of time contraints, I believe newer characters as Lucario and Ike, where simply put onto higher priority than older characters as Mewtwo and Roy.

This is about Impa replacing Sheik though, I'll list my reasons below, but first I'm going to explain who Impa is.

For those unknowing, this in fact is Impa. Yeah, she's quite bad ***. Thought so myself.

-Yes, the design of my choice for Impa would be the one we saw in Skyward Sword, as there she has had the biggest roles she herself has ever had, and personally, a role that most blew my mind away, and personal favorite in the series from this point. Let me explain to you exactly why Impa is so great in Skyward Sword, there will be spoilers, so don't uncover spoiled tagged posts if you don't want to spoil yourself:

Impa a servant of
the goddess Hylia
. She initially meets Zelda while
saving her from a group of Bokoblins in the Eldin province and later protects her from Ghirahim's grasp as he is chasing after the young girl.
As Impa and Zelda travel together,
they visit the three temples found on The Surface and helps Zelda unlock the true power of the Goddess's Harp.
(from Zelda Wiki)

It's nothing really too special thus far, and many will say that her role easily fades when comparing to the likes of Ghirahim. Popularity also suggests this, which makes me sad, because Impa's role is hugely underrated, and often misunderstood, or not cared about. However, it's BY FAR not true that her role is a light one. In fact, one would aruge that it's up there, if not possibly topping the roles Link and Zelda have in Skyward Sword. More spoiler unfriendly story details here:

After the main story is over however (after Demise is defeated) Impa stays behind in her own era while Zelda, Groose, and Link return to the future, retaining one of Zelda's blue bracelets as a token and promises they will meet again. When they return to the future, the old woman in the Sealed Grounds is revealed to be the aged Impa. She passes away in a flurry of lights afterwards.

Before returning into her old time line however, Impa says to Zelda:

"Someone must stay behind to watch over this blade (the Master Sword with Demise's remains sealed into it). His spirit must not reawaken. He must never be allowed to threaten the world again. This is the nature of the task given to my tribe. As a member of the Sheikah, the goddess's chosen guardians, I gladly welcome this duty. Zelda, I shall watch over the Triforce."

Well, I must say that that really blew me away, and was disapointed a bit because
the story gets so much better right at the very end... Well, guess that makes Hero Mode more interesting.
. Anyways, her role in this game is very great, and it puzzles me that we have Ghirahim as the most well liked character from SS at this point.

-I do not think Ghirahim will make it however, mainly because he's much like Midna and Zant where pre-Brawl. Heavily suggested, very popular as well, but Sakurai didn't add them in. It's a shame, as I personally kinda liked Midna. The fact that they are one-offs might be off putting as well, but with that said, it riddles me why Sheik returned actually.

Why Impa over Sheik:

-Now, Impa has not only been in Zelda Skyward Sword however, she has made quite a lot of appearances namely; Zelda 1, Zelda 2, both Zelda Oracle games, Zelda Ocarina of Time, and a small cameo in the Wind Waker. Which is quite a lot of games, seeing as many characters in the series never seem to return.

Sheik is one of those characters, as she has only appeared in the 15-year old game Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. She was there as you all without doubt know, as a disguise for Zelda to hide her identity from Ganondorf. Well, and she teaches you songs and stuff, but other from that, she basically did nothing much of worth. Sure, it's a quick description, and she appears to get her *** kicked by a boss in a cut scene, but that is all really. She made just one appearance, and a rather small one at that.

It's kind of underwhelming such a character remained in Smash for 2 games, while we got characters cut like Mewtwo, who to me feels much more deserving. And without doubt, he's much more popular and well known than Sheik. After all, this is a (formely) Nintendo All Star fighting game, so it seems to me to be best if they had characters of who are mostly well known right?

Sure, we have the ones as Ice Climbers, Mr Game & Watch and Pit in the game, but all of these charactes are retro characters. They got revived for the very purpose of being revived. That, and Pit was suggested a lot pre-Brawl, and we kinda know now Sakurai really likes him anyway. So yes, they are some exceptions. But I would say that for the most part, we have a good, mostly well known cast of characters.

Now I don't really understand why a character as Sheik should still be in there for the 4th installment, other than the fact she was in for the last 2 games.

I can understand we she was in Melee, because OOT was the biggest Zelda game from that period of time, and the concept was quite unique to have Zelda transform into Sheik. So no big deal there. Would rather see a decloned Ganondorf, but hey. This worked for me. She was a strong character, top tier for the longest time, and quite easy to learn, but harder to master. No big surprise to me she ended up quite popular.

Now with Brawl, they had admitted that they had to use a scrapped character model from Twilight Princess for Sheik, cause she didn't had a role in the game, but she did had a model. This was quite disapointing, and Sheik in game received quite some nerfs, which made her popularity drop with her amount of game appearances.

To me, it seemed they where added because the developers got lazy with Zelda, and Zelda / Sheik still however is the most unique Zelda character, in direct contrast with the people who almost begged to have Ganon in AT LEAST with his sword. Which ended up as a taunt. "Why do you flaunt your sword like that? USE IT! People tend to make fun of Ganondorf for this." NO! We tend to kinda hate you for making Ganondorf a C.Falcon half clone AGAIN. And, a terribly nerfed one! DA *** SAKURAI?

Now anyways, I do hope that they will revamp the Zelda characters a lot. Cause like this, they suck.

-Not only that, but I would like to have an actual newcomer in the series. Not many people would suggest a new character a lot, cause most would say 'those we need are already there'. Which I agree with, we got all, even yet, we got too much; as we have Sheik.

Sheik takes up as much of a "roster spot" as anyone else. While she is technically a sub character, she has every thing every other character has, minus a Down B.

And even though some say Zelda / Sheik as a character concept is unique, I say we're long past that with Brawl additions as Pokémon Trainer, and Zero Suit Samus. We simply do not need too many gimicky characters. Also, the Zelda / Sheik "team" is by far less efficient as Sakurai would like it to be.

First of all, who ever switches? Yes, I'm aware of the "Shielda" as a new character added to the tiers, but really... WHO ACTUALLY SWITHCES? Yes, on the selection screen you do, when counter picking, but not in battle. It's even dangerous to do so, and even Sheik mains wouldn't think of using Zelda as recovery, because you end up with Zelda on the field (with high % most likely...).

Sheik has been overshadowing Zelda since the longest time, and there is a reason why we have Zelda mains, and Sheik mains. Everyone plays them SEPARATELY. Therefore, a long with everything going against Sheik with each passing Zelda game; I think it's finally time for her to leave.

Zelda has had plenty of character development past OOT, and Skyward Sword marks just as big as a revolution to Zelda as OOT did. Not graphical, but with the controlls. Miyamoto described it as a master piece himself, and said that they wouldnt want to use traditional controlls after SS.

Bringing back Sheik AGAIN would be an error, especially as I think they could easily use OOT3DS as inspiration for GANONDORF, and not Sheik.

Sheik was a heavily popular character though, but mostly cause of her PLAYSTYLE, not much of her character. That's why I suggest Impa as a character. Apart from Zelda as a possibility, so the Zelda and the Sheik fans of old can finally play their character apart if they want. They could also easily couple them together, because Impa is Zelda's body guard after all.

Short conclusion: Sheik is a one-off, and amongst one-offs not even the most popular (wanna give that one to Midna or Ghirahim now), Impa fits the deal as Nintendo All Star much better, has better moveset potential, can be a separate character and would fresh up the roster a lot. All that is left there to be said is:

I have far more arguments, but must dig those up as I posted quite a lot in the SSB4 thread. Thus far, this is a concept, but am willing to add a poll into this to have an idea of a public opionion. Thus far, too many people think Sheik should stay. But I've seen plenty of Impa supporters, so voice your opinion about it here!

Peace

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Please use paragraphs instead of a bunch of spaced sentences.

You know I'm all for Impa for gameplay reasons. The amount of Shelda players is a minority with most playing one or the other and the transformation is incredibly inefficient. Just separate the two, give Impa a Sheik 2.0 moveset a Sheik costume, and call it a day. Both characters will be better off, in my opinion.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Thanks bro. Yeah, gonna fix it soon, but leaving it for now as it is, cause I think I'm gonna add more stuff into it. I'll surely ask for a poll, and maybe make a moveset or so...

:phone:

Ice Prince

Smash Cadet
I wouldn't mind Impa--provided they went with her SS design. She was looking badass. She could easily take over for Sheik (and I do love my Sheik but I wouldn't mind Impa taking over).

Just keep her seperate and give her Sheik's playstyle with some obvious twists to make her unique from Sheik, and I'd be satisfied.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It's just 1 vote difference now, don't count that one extra of yours.

This is surprisingly ignored btw...

Impa = best idea for Zelda character EVER. Aside from Link, Link is a pretty cool guy.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'll never shut up at the SSB4 thread. Opinions are to be heard!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It isn't as much obnoxiousness as it is hard ***** ignoring my points. ^^

And of coarse, people gonna be tl;dr on this all, and just gonna vote Sheik cause they don't care. Therefore I'll say: please read before you vote.

D

Deleted member

Yes, because all the people that respond negatively MUST be ignoring you, and the ones that vote for Sheik and not Impa MUST not have read what you said.

It's not a big conspiracy if people don't share your viewpoints no matter how many times you forcefully cram them down people's throats.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Most do, never got into a full debate about it actually.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Sheik stays...I could care less if they threw in Impa as a clone, that's all she would be so why destroy one character and just make it the mewtwo fiasco all over again.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Impa would be no clone in fact. Same weight and speeds yes, but overall probably just as different as Ness / Lucas. And unlike Mewtwo, Sheik NEVER APPEARED AGAIN in another Zelda game. Whereas Impa did, plenty of times.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Impa would be no clone in fact. Same weight and speeds yes, but overall probably just as different as Ness / Lucas. And unlike Mewtwo, Sheik NEVER APPEARED AGAIN in another Zelda game. Whereas Impa did, plenty of times.

Impa sucked plenty of times and was a completely forgettable character asides from SS, where she just pissed me off seeing as how she would
bypass a giant monster then close the door on me and tell me I took too long before leaving me so I could follow her, then putting rocks in my way so I could go around which didn't stop Ghirahim at all, and then I have to save her *** for the goddess so she could run away and blow up the freaking gate. And when all is said and done and I kill Demise, Ghirahim goes back in time and she can't do squat cause she sucks. Honestly, in SS she was a lovable character to me, in the way that I could love to hate her.

Also, same weight and speed and probably only a slightly tweaked moveset is a clone. Ness and Lucas are clones the same way Ganon and Capn are...they have their differences, that's what makes them clones and not texture packs.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Ness and Lucas their regular A moves differ a lot from each other. And, I think Impa would likely have different Bs than Sheik anyway. Only example might be Up B.

She DID guard the Master Sword with Demise sealed in it a long with protecting and sealing the WHOLE DAMN TRIFORCE so how's that? For THOUSANDS OF YEARS man! She's also the Goddess Hylia's chosen warrior to guard her mortal form, Zelda. And its likely she fought in the war that's being told about in the intro.

So yeah, I say she's pretty damn bad ***.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
She DID guard the Master Sword with Demise sealed in it a long with protecting and sealing the WHOLE DAMN TRIFORCE so how's that? For THOUSANDS OF YEARS man! She's also the Goddess Hylia's chosen warrior to guard her mortal form, Zelda. And its likely she fought in the war that's being told about in the intro.

So yeah, I say she's pretty damn bad ***.

And yet Ganondorf is formed...wtf did I do all that work if she and Fi couldn't hold their end of the bargain?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Not the same time line. And if Ganon came into play, mid age Impa would kick his *** all the way back to the desert and back. She wouldn't even brag about it as that ******* Link would. :smirk: And you know that's true.

Also, she was dead, Ganon's soul getting eaten by evil is Link and Zelda's fault therefore

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Not the same time line. And if Ganon came into play, mid age Impa would kick his *** all the way back to the desert and back. She wouldn't even brag about it as that ******* Link would. :smirk: And you know that's true.

Also, she was dead, Ganon's soul getting eaten by evil is Link and Zelda's fault therefore
Link can't brag...and you know that's true. And she couldn't even deal with Bongo Bongo.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
I actually favor Impa over shiek. I've always have been a fan of Impa since the NES days and is one of the few reoccuring characters of the series. Personally I would prefer he to be a replacement for Shiek with the Skyward Sword Zelda. It makes sense then re-designing a new Shiek like they did in Brawl.

Here is an idea. How about have a costume change for either Shiek or Impa. Since we have Skyward Sword and the OOT remake to consider maybe have a costume for both. When you have OOT Zelda you have Shiek and when you have Skyward Sword Zelda you have Impa. The only problem is the height difference.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I don't think Impa would throw needles, or have a chain attack (though the latter could be). I rather have her fight in a sort of half Sheik, half Lucario fighting style. With a barrier to of coarse.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
But Impa was the one who taught Shiek to throw needles and use a chain whip.

Another thing I thought up just now was that Impa would make a really good AT. She would be like Grey Fox but with teleportation and explosives. That would be cool.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Your talkingOoT Impa, SS Impa only uses magic and agility.

I was thinking her down B could be a glowing bomb, sideB could be a glowing blue dash like on the bridge to the gate, it could shoot back projectiles as well. Replace her B and dair and maybe her Fsmash and voila.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
I think they should just seperate Sheik/Zelda and give both of them a new move.

Like Sheik could have a Deku nut that she throws down, then when she presses down b again, she teleports to where the nut landed or something.

Could make for some amazing combo setups.

That's considering SSB4 even has combos.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I think they should just seperate Sheik/Zelda and give both of them a new move.

Like Sheik could have a Deku nut that she throws down, then when she presses down b again, she teleports to where the nut landed or something.

Could make for some amazing combo setups.

That's considering SSB4 even has combos.
Zelda and Sheik aren't "supposed" to be apart, and with Impa around- why should they? Impa could also use Deku Nuts, we all know Sheik totally copied her doing that in OOT.

Magic and agility is enough for SS Impa if they could give freaking SHEIK a moveset (yet, they couldn't for Ganondorf?).

Side B should definitely be the barrier she used, it would be very interesting to have an attack like that in Smash, as it hasn't been done before. It would have a set amount of hits it could take, but when pressed Side B again while using the move, Impa would break apart the barrier causing damage and an oppertunity to strike back. If used for too long, the opposite happens, and Impa takes damage herself (about 5%) a long with taking the hit that broke the barrier.

D Air should be different indeed. And I think her AAA will be different as well, more like a sort of monk / kung fu like attacks, as Lucario's AAA, but faster. For the die hard Sheik fans, F Tilt and U Tilt would stay of coarse, and with Impa's longer legs would add a bit more range to the moves as well. So, that's good of coarse.

Maybe her regular B wouldn't be Needles, but a throwing knife of sorts? Or just a ball of magic, which would slightly slow down the target when hit with it? Would work a bit similar to the Timer item, but far shorter. Call it Timeshift Orb as well as a reference to Skyward Sword.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
I don't know if skyward sword debunks this theory (I haven't beaten it yet) but I remeber hearing that Impa is like ganondorf where it is assumed that each person is the same person and not a reincarnation like Link and Zelda. That's why Impa is a different age in every game. Shiekans (or at least Impa) lives for a very long time. So OOT Impa and SS Impa would be the same person.

I'm beginning to think Impa as an AT would be really good. She's never direct and is usually assisting Link or Zelda. The only time she really goes out is in OOT when she goes to the Shadow Temple.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well,
Impa dies, or goes up to heaven at the end of SS, but she however DID live for thousands of years. Yes, thousands
- so its possible yeah.

Why an AT? I want her playable. I don't understand why Sheik is winning this so far, but Impa could do everything Sheik can in Smash, and easily adds up to it even.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
Well I still think a Zelda/Impa tag team would work really well but she would also work as an AT as well. The reason for an AT is because that's what she does in Zelda games, she assist Link and Zelda.

This is what I think they could have.

New character
I don't really care for this idea because she's not iconic enough. I think what they have for Zelda characters is good enough. Though if any Zelda character gets in Impa should be the next in line.

Replacement for Shiek
Since they would have to redesign a skyward sword version of shiek anyways why don't they just replace her with Impa. As long as she plays just like shiek she should be accepted. So in other words it's just like the Shiek from Smash with a difference in name and looks.

Assist Trophy
This seems very appropriate for her since she often assist Link and Zelda rather then taking on adventures by herself. She can faster and a heavy hitter then shiek with teleportation, bombs, and magic. Definatly someone you want on your side helping you.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Ehehehehe.
And there they called me a troll? :(

I'd rather see her replacing Sheik, but I'd be cool with both being version exclusives. As said before, Impa would then be in Wii U, and Sheik in 3DS. Do the same with a couple of other characters, and you have no disappointed fans.

She might not be iconic enough for her own spot, but Sheik really isn't either. Far less actually. At least Impa is her own character, and is the only real possibility of giving Zelda / "Sheik" her own spot.

As said in the thread before, its not Sheik herself who is popular, its her playstyle that is. And more so (by far) in Melee than Brawl.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
"Yeah, no body really likes Sheik. I mean, c'mon. That'd be stupid. Even the people who think they do? PFFF. Yeah right. They really don't either."

Great argument.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Isn't that Shocking? :awesome:

Am I getting trolled to oblivion here? Cause everyone be voting Sheik.

Melee is over people. You got your Sheik in Brawl, and big chance is your not even playing her. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom