• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Isaac (Golden Sun) in SSBB thread

Cos.

Smash Journeyman
I'm aware that there are maybe two other Golden Sun threads (actually, there's not that much to be found on Isaac on the boards... only short name references), but I thought I'd dedicate a thread to Isaac, since if a GS character would make it to SSBB, it would be Isaac (since he is the main character...). (I'd like to see Felix, Alex or Jenna too, but I still believe Isaac has the greatest chance (though that chance isn't that great :urg: )).

Anyway, this here is Isaac:

http://legendra.wall.free.fr/wall/golden_sun_1.jpg

He's the main character in a GBA game called Golden Sun (developed by Camelot), and still played an important role in Golden Sun's sequel.

By what I've seen it seems Golden Sun is much more popular in Europe (especially Germany and France... and well, Switzerland for that fact too :p )... if you google Golden Sun you'll find alot of German and French fansites first. Therefore I would think if a popular character for the Europeans were to make it, Isaac would have a good chance (then again, what do the Japanese and Americans care :cry: )

I also developed a moveset that should somewhat represent the series:

Nuetral Standing A - punch
Neutral Standing A,A - punch, moves slightly foward second punch
Neutral Standing A,A,A,Etc - punch, punch, knee, repeat

Dashing A - quick Strike (similar to Marth's dashing A, sword has a blueish glow)

f+tilt A - punji (does a mid height swipe with a bamboo stick, attack can be angled)
u+tilt A - sword slash (attacks above self in a half circle slash)
d+tilt A - planet diver (similar to Samus' d+tilt)

Nuetral Air A - straight posistioned sex kick ( Samus,Link,Falco,Shiek)
Forward Air A - cutting edge (slashes forward with blade, two phantom slashes follow while Isaac falls towards the ground)
Up Air A - rock slide ( a group of damaging rocks shortly circle Isaac (slightly similar to Kirby's neutral air a))
Down Air A - death plunge (attacks with sword in a swandive and pulls the enemy downwards for the duration of the attack)
Back Air A - blast (puts hand behind back and attacks with a sweetspotted, small explosion)

Forward A Smash - force (a large gloved fists punches foward, can be angled)
Down A Smash - sword swipe (similar to Link's, Marth's down a smash)
Up A Smash - plasma (Isaac raises his hand and attacks with a multiple hitting, electrifying ball in his hand)

Grab: Isaac grabs with his growth vines (can be used as a recover)
Neutral A Grab - thorn (opponent is tied up in vines, thorns come out of the vines and give damage)
Down Throw - Gale (throws the opponent downwards into a whirlwind, which sends the opponent flying upwards)
Front, Back, Up Throw - Move (A large gloved hand throws the opponent in the choosen direction)

Neutral B - Gaia (summons a boulder above head that is thrown downwards in a 45° angle (can be charged like Ness' neutral B)
Forward B - Ragnarok (shoots a large sword straight forward. Likely extremely laggy)
Down B - Tornado (twirls around in a circle and gives damage) (or Mind Read: shortly disables opponent (like Mewtwo's down b))
Up B Recovery - Phoenix (flies upward in a fiery phoenix animation) (or Retreat: Teleports self in a rainbow of colorful bubbles)

Super Move: Justice (summons a large knight who blasts the whole field), or Halt (can shortly stop all opponents from moving and can give damage in that time), or Oddessey (similar to Ragnarok, just with a much larger sword)

Taunt: Stands still and has the wind blow through his hair while staring into the distance.

This link might help understand the attacks better:
http://www.goldensun-syndicate.net/index.php?p=gs/psynergy

Isaac is the character I hope most for to get into SSBB (I love the Golden Sun games... Hopefully there'll still be a sequel to the game), though characters like Ray01 or Sami would be cool too :ohwell:

Comments and additions are welcome.

edit: here's a second movelist I was requested to put up, and since it has nice pictures :) ;) (And because it's fine enough too)

A- A quick slash with his sword (2%, 4% at tip)

Over+A- A sword thrust (8-9%, 13-14% at tip)

Smash Over+A- Cannon (14-20%, 16-25% at tip)A quick running slash forwards.

Up+A- A 180 degree swing of your sword. Starting from your front side ending behind you. (7-9%, 10-13% at tip)

Smash Up+A- Flint (15-22%, 17-24% at tip) A strong jumping slash. That has decent knockback and it turns brown when it hits.

Down+A- Thrust your sword at a downwards diagonal angle. (9-11%, 11-14% at tip)

Smash Down+A- Squall (13-20%, 15-23% at tip) A jumping slash. Not alot of knock back but it may stun you for just a second lighting surrounds the person who is hit.

B- Cutting Edge (Shockwave 5-8%, Hit by sword 9-11% ) You create a shock wave, by swinging your sword down, that travels across the stage until it hits a person. It would be able to be used as fast as Falco's gun.

Over+B- Annihilation (8-12%, 13-16% at tip) Quick rushing slash forward.

Up+B- Planetary (Hit by dragon 13-16%, Hit by explosion 15% ) Isaac jumps high into the air and comes down as a flaming dragon head making an explosion when he hits.

Down+B- Punji Strike (4-12% ) Isaac shoots bamboo out of the ground in front of him. Anyone caught recieves continuous damage and can't move like Donkey's Down+B

Up+Grab- Death Leap (7-11% ) Leap into the air and slam back down.

Forward+Grab- Perform a horizontal slash across your opponents chest. (8-12% )

Back+Grab- Teleport behind the person your grabbing and slash their back. (9-11% )

Down+Grab- Throw the person you are grappling into the ground. (7-10% )

Shield- Granite

Brawl Attack- Catastrophe

Isaac raises his arm and screams "Catastrophe!". The screen goes dark and lightning shoots from the sky. You see a huge menacing figure with darg angel wings and many weapons descend from the heavens. He charges energy and sends it to the tip of his sword, incasing it in a triangular pyramid seal. He shoots it down to the field, it explodes open and shoots out electricity on either side in the shape of a dragon's head.

(yeah, exact post should be on page three, some further movelists are on page seven).

Iggy K

Smash Ace
Isaac would rock. Best character from Golden Sun. Nice moveset btw.

Slugma128

Smash Journeyman
Well, don't think he would fit in Brawl. I would rather see the Reggienator.

Sporkman

Smash Ace
Id love to see a Golden Sun character and am an avid supporter of the idea, however im from the UK, which is unfortunatley not the States or Japan.

Your move set is good but there are a couple of quibbles (i notice you play your Isaac mostly as a samurai :p ) 'A' moves should all involve his sword, while all 'B' moves should be psyenergy (which youve got anyway). Apart from the punching thing, the other quibble is the psyenergy you selected, It would probably be better if they all came from his 'normal' set (all earth djinn). I wont suggest any examples right now as i cant be bothered with writing too much.
Kudos on the phoenix ^+B aswell!

Don't Rule out the possibility of Felix, as hes equally if not more important the Isaac. And seeing as they are pretty much exactly the same, your ideas can apply to both.

As much as id like to see Alex i guess i have to concede its not going to happen :(

Isaac and Felix would fit perfectly into smash, the inbetween of Marth and Link.

Finally, i must admit, Saturos would look pretty **** cool in Smash Brothers.

Emperor Ganon

Smash Cadet
I dont think we need any more swordsmen, because we already have 6: (off the top of my head)

Metanight
Pit (sort of)
Roy
Marth
Link
Young Link

but if they add a Golden Sun person and they have to take out one of the old swordsmen I hope its Marth, plus Ashnard is going to be in the game.

Sporkman

Smash Ace
There's a strong possibility of one of the swordsman being removed though, and 6 would be a good number, if anything Young Link might be ended up being replaced by the cel-shaded Wind Waker Link, although with the graphics Brawl seems to be aiming for this might not happen. Roy is likely candidate to go, seeing as Marth was the first character to unlock.

D

Deleted member

Isaac is a must. Since Camelot is making a new Wii RPG (Golden Sun 3, anybody?), it would be an ideal advertising opportunity. I personaly believe Isaac and Felix have the best chance, along with Alex.

Bowser85

Smash Apprentice
Okay, exactly what is this Phoenix move? I don't think I remember. And Issac COULD also equip certain axes as well. I don't see any problem in him using on of those if they want to avoid making another swordsman but the sword is probably his most iconic weapon.

If you ask me, his Super Move should be Judgment. Justice is a tiny bit too powerful and would be hard to implement. You get what I'm saying?

The Great Marth

Smash Lord
Jugment is a summon.........it should only be used when u grab the smash icon....

and the reson why i said garret and picard is because there are too many swords in the game.Marth,roy,Link,Y.link,Kirby,pit,metaknite........garret and picard are of the AXE type and it would make it a tad but interesting to see new hand to hand weapons.

and on a side note......i feel snake is gonna suck.

Sporkman

Smash Ace
Garet is a swordsman through and through. So is Picard/Pier, all the best weapons in the games are swords.
Isaac/Felix's best at the end of Lost Age are Sol Blade/Excalibur
Both my Garet and Pier/Picard what ever you call him, use swords, i cant remember at the end of Lost Age but i had Garet using the Muramasa.
I might dig out my GBA later and tell you.
Most clones are likely to be removed, so that leaves Marth, Link, Pit and Metaknight. Kirby has one move involving a sword so you cant really count him. Ganondorf is the one of the clones who is most likely to stay and he MAY get his sword, which means there'll be 6 swordsmen including Isaac or Felix, which ever is implemented.

Summons could be implemented in various ways, as a super move, or an item. Item wise would involve Djinn and the idea of that would probably be too similar to the pokeball so is abit pointless. Super move is fine and dandy. Although Catasrophe was my fave, i tihnk he was wind and fire and they aint goin down with the earth types.

EDIT: Revive was the psyenergy move that involves phoenix's. Although when the move was used a light would shine on the downed character and some feathers would fall down, nothing really involving phoenix's unless you believe the feathers to be that of yada yada, Phoenix's were (probably) the only monster to have revive as a move, although it possibly had a different name. Its why fighting Two phoenix's was the best way to level up, with the fight only ending when one runs away (if you know what your doing..)

Dustlord

Smash Cadet
Isaac would be cool as a Smash Brothers char, and the most likely to get in if they only pick one. If they pick another, I hope it's Jenna. I'd like to see a fire adept, and Jenna uses staves if I'm not mistaken. Staves would be a cool weapon to fight with.

If they do add Golden Sun characters, I hope they also add Djinn as an item. I'm not sure how they would work, but it would be cool.

Cos.

Smash Journeyman
I admit to having been a bit unorthodox with my move giving. :dizzy:
Actually, I never played Isaac as the Samurai :p . I only gave him Earth Djinns... sadly I don't know the name of the class that he became in English (I played the game in German :ohwell: ).
I knew that Revive was the move Isaac used to revive. But couldn't Jenna use phoenix if you only gave her fire Djinn? Maybe I'm mixing things up. By the way, I don't think that Isaac could use Plasma, Tornado or Gale in any Djinn combination, could he?

I just tried to make a somewhat original moveset that represented the GS series as a whole. (I wouldn't mind more specialized movesets would more GS characters join) I also thought I wanted to have Isaac as a magic wielder and sword user combined and not to involve his swords in all moves as he could also use some cool psyenergies (though I admit to almost only having used his sword in GS to save time in fights :p ). I can't remember (sorry for that) was Justice or Judgement the four earth Djinn summon? I meant the four Earth Djinn one as a super move (the move you use when you get the Smash Bros. symbol).

But if you have concrete ideas on specific moves that should be altered to give a better feeling to the character, I'd consider those.

Anyway, there was some hope today when I saw that Isaac (Robin) was on Sakura's list :) .

A Djinn would be a nice item (and I would so wish to see other GS characters... then again, first things first... let's just hope Isaac makes it for starters)

HourglassMemory

Smash Journeyman
Since SSBM came out I always wondered if a 3rd game would be added to the series. And thinking about new characters, two came imediatly to mind: Isaac and King Dedede. They are sure additions.

Kasil

Smash Rookie
Emperor Ganon said:
but if they add a Golden Sun person and they have to take out one of the old swordsmen I hope its Marth, plus Ashnard is going to be in the game.
The rumor about Ashnard is nowhere near true. The flags are completely different in the illustration, and there's been no confirmation about him from anywhere.

SmashMac

Smash Lord
ZOMG heck yes Isaac from Golden Sun. Golden Sun = best series for GBA. Isaac for new SSBB = top tier.

Chaps

Smash Apprentice
Golden Sun/2 are definitely up there as my favorite RPGs, ever. I'd definitely be happy to see Isaac in there, but the abundance-of-swordsmen point brought up did make me hesitate for a second. I wouldn't mind if a few swordsmen were taken out, or just bring over a mage-esque character from GS.

givequicheachance

Smash Cadet
Isaac wouldn't have to use only swords. he can wield axes and maces as well. I wouldn't mind seeing him pull out different weapons depending on the move (the way Ness pulls out the baseball bat and yo-yo)

The way I see his B-moves is more like this:

smash + B = Gaia
Throws a boulder.

down + B = Unleash:
Isaac unleashes a Djinn (pick one--I don't care) and it follows him around. This weakens his stats (takes more % and deals less) while the Djinn is out, but in return he can use his summon.

A way to expand on this is to maybe have him be able to unleash more than 1 (up to 4), getting weaker each time, but being able to do a bigger summon attack for each one out.

neutral + B = Summon
he just kinda sits there and meditates and does nothing if he doesn't have a Djinn out, but if he does, he does a big attack (hopefully a good KO move) After using it, and Djinns that were out have to charge for about 10 seconds before they reattach and boost his stats back up, and can be unleashed again.

up + B = Move
a big white glove lifts him upward in a fist

Sporkman

Smash Ace
I dont have much time, so im just gonna say, good ideas for moves givequich... although maybe neutral B has to be something while he doesnt have any djinn out, perhaps switch neutral B and down b around.

Cos.

Smash Journeyman
givequicheachance said:
Isaac wouldn't have to use only swords. he can wield axes and maces as well. I wouldn't mind seeing him pull out different weapons depending on the move (the way Ness pulls out the baseball bat and yo-yo)

The way I see his B-moves is more like this:

smash + B = Gaia
Throws a boulder.

down + B = Unleash:
Isaac unleashes a Djinn (pick one--I don't care) and it follows him around. This weakens his stats (takes more % and deals less) while the Djinn is out, but in return he can use his summon.

A way to expand on this is to maybe have him be able to unleash more than 1 (up to 4), getting weaker each time, but being able to do a bigger summon attack for each one out.

neutral + B = Summon
he just kinda sits there and meditates and does nothing if he doesn't have a Djinn out, but if he does, he does a big attack (hopefully a good KO move) After using it, and Djinns that were out have to charge for about 10 seconds before they reattach and boost his stats back up, and can be unleashed again.

up + B = Move
a big white glove lifts him upward in a fist

Well, first off thanks for the comments.
I'm not too fond of the summoning idea as it would make Isaac's game unneededly complicated, but more even impractical. When playing one opponent you don't really have time to unleash a summon (if you would, those moves would be too strong). Considering this you are possibly giving up to B attacks, which is principally a bad thing.

As to the other propositions: I wouldn't mind much if Isaac were to use different weapons (since he was able to in the game), those most character art portraits him with a sword. I'm wondering how his attacks should then be distributed among those three weapons (or the other way around) (the weapons being: sword, axe, mace). Maybe someone else has some ideas there (somehow I like the idea of combining psyenergy with weapon attacks :) ... but that's just my personal preference).

The Up B idea sounds interesting and would be a nice alternative the the phoenix move I had noted (though phoenix would look flashier :p ;) ).

How do you think Gaia should be thrown? Should it have a horizontal trajectory or a downwards diagonal one from an armslength above Isaac.

*wonders what colors Isaac's costumes could have*

givequicheachance

Smash Cadet
Phoenix might look flashier, but nothing says Golden Sun like the "move" psynergy.

I think the summoning mechanic would be a major factor for being included in this game. We already have a generic rpg character with standard-style B-moves (Marth-Roy) This would be something to differentiate himself from the other characters and be more of a unique character like Yoshi, Ice Climbers, or Ness. And of course the summons wouldn't have to look exactly like they do in Golden Sun. Since unleashing would weaken him significantly, I figure the summons could be pretty fast. I picture him just holding his hand out and having a big yellow cloud appear (for 1 Djinn) or Ramses appear (2 Djinns) etc. Think Mario's F-smash.

neowolf5

Smash Rookie
hell yeah!!! GS is one of the best games ive ever played!!!! i mean all the summons and the djinn, thats awesome, and sure why not put a character from GS? it truely would be awesome, and the movelist u got there is pretty good, although i think all his A attacks should be sword attacks its still a pretty good moveset

Chefda

Smash Rookie
down+b shud be a glove/hand dropping boulders on the players.maybe sum sorta boulder sortie spanning most of the arena?

Sporkman

Smash Ace
I prefer Felix, personally.

i only made this post cause i saw your sig and wanted to say:
"Hey Perceptor, whats shaking? other then this fortress" - Blaster

Brilliant film.

Stryks

Smash Hero
With what i saw in the move set it could work, i mean we dont have an rock using guy in smash do we? that would be awesome tough dont know **** about golden sun, i aprove this guy

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Sporkman said:
I prefer Felix, personally.

i only made this post cause i saw your sig and wanted to say:
"Hey Perceptor, whats shaking? other then this fortress" - Blaster

Brilliant film.
"For a time, I considered sparing your wretched little planet, Cybertron. But now, you shall witness... its DISMEMBERMENT!" - Unicron (Orson Welles' voice was awesome!)

Yes. Transformers: The Movie Forever! I'm a little worried about the upcoming 2007 film though. The teaser site is awesome - "Their War. Our World.", but Hollywood's let me down too many times before, so I remain a little skeptical. Just pray that George Clooney DOSEN'T get to do Optimus Prime's voice. ICK!

Back on topic: I also prefer Felix over Isaac (just slightly, though).

Takuan

Smash Rookie
I personally thought Isaac was cooler. Maybe it was just because I had grown attached to him in the first one, but I thought he was cooler.

Anyway, that would be freakin awesome if he was in SSBB. I can imagine him in there fighting against the Nintendo hotshots AND WINNING!!!

Cos.

Smash Journeyman
Wow, things Golden Sun have become very quite since the announcement of that golf game from Camelot... Quite sad for Golden Sun fans :( . Hopefully that will be over soon, and Camelot will return to working on their Nintendo Wii project. (Even if it wouldn't be a Golden Sun game... which I hope it will be... I want to see another RPG from Camelot).

I'm still wondering about the moveset... I'm aware Isaac is an earth adept... but since, if at all I don't think more than one GS character can make it (maybe two if Isaac and Felix are clones of each other... just get to live with the clone fact... it's a good and easy way to add characters towards the end of game production), so I thought I wanted to give more different psyenergies (and I'm sure there are some people who played Isaac outside of the plain earth Djinn class... or who would like to see their favorite psyenergies, or just to make Isaac a more colorful character (somewhat like on the character art you see from him)).

Anyway, I personally liked Isaac more (he seemed to be a happier peron :dizzy: ), but Felix and Isaac could both make it since even in the GS games there so similar it's unlikely for them not to be clones (next to the fact you need to consider, that people who don't know Golden Sun would be upset due to overrepresentation of a not too known franchise).
I'm still hoping that the fact that Isaac was mentioned more than once on Sakurai's poll meant something. *crosses fingers*. And we mustn't forget Golden Sun had really good music, so that could be a reason to add Isaac (not quite like Doctor Mario... but in that direction ;) )

PS: don't let the Golden Sun hope die :)

SuichimoTheDragoon

Smash Apprentice
A- A quick slash with his sword (2%, 4% at tip)

Over+A- A sword thrust (8-9%, 13-14% at tip)

Smash Over+A- Cannon (14-20%, 16-25% at tip)A quick running slash forwards.

Up+A- A 180 degree swing of your sword. Starting from your front side ending behind you. (7-9%, 10-13% at tip)

Smash Up+A- Flint (15-22%, 17-24% at tip) A strong jumping slash. That has decent knockback and it turns brown when it hits.

Down+A- Thrust your sword at a downwards diagonal angle. (9-11%, 11-14% at tip)

Smash Down+A- Squall (13-20%, 15-23% at tip) A jumping slash. Not alot of knock back but it may stun you for just a second lighting surrounds the person who is hit.

B- Cutting Edge (Shockwave 5-8%, Hit by sword 9-11% ) You create a shock wave, by swinging your sword down, that travels across the stage until it hits a person. It would be able to be used as fast as Falco's gun.

Over+B- Annihilation (8-12%, 13-16% at tip) Quick rushing slash forward.

Up+B- Planetary (Hit by dragon 13-16%, Hit by explosion 15% ) Isaac jumps high into the air and comes down as a flaming dragon head making an explosion when he hits.

Down+B- Punji Strike (4-12% ) Isaac shoots bamboo out of the ground in front of him. Anyone caught recieves continuous damage and can't move like Donkey's Down+B

Up+Grab- Death Leap (7-11% ) Leap into the air and slam back down.

Forward+Grab- Perform a horizontal slash across your opponents chest. (8-12% )

Back+Grab- Teleport behind the person your grabbing and slash their back. (9-11% )

Down+Grab- Throw the person you are grappling into the ground. (7-10% )

Shield- Granite

Brawl Attack- Catastrophe

Isaac raises his arm and screams "Catastrophe!". The screen goes dark and lightning shoots from the sky. You see a huge menacing figure with darg angel wings and many weapons descend from the heavens. He charges energy and sends it to the tip of his sword, incasing it in a triangular pyramid seal. He shoots it down to the field, it explodes open and shoots out electricity on either side in the shape of a dragon's head.

I took a different approach then what I've seen most other post on different boards. I wanted to show alot of what Isaac is capable of which is why you will see attacks from different classes in the moveset. I tried to keep the four elements in balance for the total number of attacks. I'm thinking of a possible replacement for Cutting Edge being a comboable neutral B attack going from Ragnarok into Odyssey.

But yeah there is my current moveset for Isaac.

GenG

Smash Lord
Are you the N-sider Suichimo? The one who said that Marth was the clone instead Roy? Glad to see you around here.

MiraiGen

Smash Ace
Suichimo:

BAD. ***.

Also, for Planetary, how about he flies into the air, and the flaming dragon skull falls off of his body? It'd be like Blazer/Dolphin Slash except no damage when you get hit by them, you'd have to be underneath them for it to work. Or something.

D

Deleted member

I don't think Isaac should be given anything but his default psynergy moves. Most characters appear with their default weaponry, and its already some of the best. Wind does not seem right on earth.

For example, Cloud is never seen without the Buster Sword, which I think (don't have the game) is one of the worst weapons in FFVII.

On the subject of Cloud, he should only have earth psynergy moves, to show he is not just a shameless clone.

Nice to see this topic back.

SuichimoTheDragoon

Smash Apprentice
Are you the N-sider Suichimo? The one who said that Marth was the clone instead Roy? Glad to see you around here.
Yeah that is me. I didn't think I was getting attention out side of NSider. But I've since been disproven so I'm just content now with trying to get Roy fair recognition and trying to raise support for him in Brawl.

Suichimo:

BAD. ***.

Also, for Planetary, how about he flies into the air, and the flaming dragon skull falls off of his body? It'd be like Blazer/Dolphin Slash except no damage when you get hit by them, you'd have to be underneath them for it to work. Or something.
Ehh. The only extra effect I could see for Planetary would be some knockback from the initial jump, if he is on the ground, because that is what it seems like would happen in the actual game.

I don't think Isaac should be given anything but his default psynergy moves. Most characters appear with their default weaponry, and its already some of the best. Wind does not seem right on earth.

For example, Cloud is never seen without the Buster Sword, which I think (don't have the game) is one of the worst weapons in FFVII.

On the subject of Cloud, he should only have earth psynergy moves, to show he is not just a shameless clone.

Nice to see this topic back.
Yeah I already assessed that. Most people I've seen have felt that they needed to keep Isaac to his base element of Venus. I wanted to give a better idea of Isaac's abilities, seeing as none of the adepts are limited to any one element. Although I didn't mention it Isaac would be wielding the Gaia Blade.

Top Bottom