• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Black Knight for Brawl (SPOILERS AHEAD)

KidSmash

Smash Journeyman
The Black Knight

^^^MAJOR PROPS TO BANE AND ILLIDR FOR PIC^^^

I personally think this character would be a great smasher (literally), especially if they put Ike in. Powerful and heavy, yet a rapid slasher, this sword-user might make a great hit on SSBB.

THNX TO LUNADIS FOR THIS AWESOME MOVELIST:

Basics
A: Dark Initiative
Black Knight swings the sword over head down to the ground. This move has a fixed knockback.

AA: Cleave
Dark Knight brings the sword back and then rises it in a quick movement while the opponent is still stunned. This also has a fixed knockback.

AAA: Mutilate
After bringing up his sword, Black Knight's other hand joins the sword and he brings it down one last time with tremendous force. This attack hits the opponent downwards on a low trajectory. If the opponent is at a high percentage and near the ledge, it could possibly be fatal.

Forward Tilt: Smite
Black Knight shoves the hilt of his sword forward rather quickly, resembling his shoving animation in-game. While it's not powerful, it gives him some control over faster opponents.

Up Tilt: Valiant Strike
In a single rotation, the Black Knight lifts his sword back and then swings it forward in a simple advance

Down Tilt: Cripple
Black Knight swings the sword horizontally angled at a low height. It's his fastest sword attack. It hits foes at a low trajectory so it can be used to edge guard.

Dash Attack: Frontline Combat
Black Knight spins Alondite to his side then thrust it out. Getting hit by the rotation from the front will keep you in place for the thrust, getting hit by the rotation from the back will push you away too far to land an attack on Black Knight.

Smash Attacks
Forward Smash: Luna
Black Knight's ability in game! Black Knight makes two quick horizontal swings and then one last powerful diagonal downwards swing while advancing forward. To make this unique, if you shield this attack, 50% of it's damage will carry on through the shield but will not cause flinching. (Since Luna ignores defense in game.) This also pushes shielders away too far to counter attack. To balance this, if the foe is out of range or rolls behind Black Knight, he can be severely punished. This is easy to do since like almost all of Black Knight's attacks, it it slow.

Up Smash: Spire
Black Knight brings out a lance and strikes straight upwards. The player can hit A again to have Black Knight rotate the lance and push it out. The first stab pulls the foe in slowly to set up for the rotation part of the attack, which is a multihit. After Black Knight pushes it out, the foe goes flying. This could possibly be the most unwieldly yet powerful smash attack in the game. Since it's entirely vertical and has long range, it's best used on people who try to pass over Black Knight's head to make them regret it severely.

Down Smash: Nightmare
Black Knight flips Alondite to point down, and with all of his weight plants it into the ground. This immediately results in an explosion of dark flames on all sides. This would actually hit foes straight up.

Specials
B: Dark Crasher
A very brutal attack. Dark Knight puts the sword to his side and steps back. He begins to charge up dark energy. After releasing, he steps forward and swings the sword. If a foe is struck with this, they fall down to the ground stunned. The stun time depends on how long this was charged and on how high their percentage was. To give a scale, if the foe was above 100% when this was used, they'd be stunned for 2 seconds. If it's fully charged, 8 seconds. (So you're pretty much dead.) Using this on an already stunned foe will just send them flying on a low trajectory but at limited distance, to encourage Black Knight users to be more creative. It is also to be noted that Black Knight is immune to flinching during the actual swinging animation, but not the charging animation.

B Up: Warp Powder
We all saw this coming. :p Black Knight throws a dark, purple-ish hazy powder over head and starts to vanish. This comes out just a bit faster than Zelda's recovery but has half the distance. Of course Black Knight can choose which direction he goes. Two things make this different. If a foe was near Black Knight when he used this, they can hold a direction and warp as well! If Black Knight lands on the ground after using this from a high distance in mid air, his heavy armor will cause him to studder. If he reappears at a similar height from where he warped, there will be no delay at all. The reason for this is to give Black Knight a better way to approach to make up for his horrible movement speed. Though since there is still an initial animation involved, he'll have a hard time warping while being pelted with projectiles. Unlike other heavyweights, since this is a teleportation move, Black Knight does not get any flinch immunity while using this.

B Forward: Grinder
Alondite strikes the ground. This sends a really fast energy wave across the stage floor. This can be charged but not stored. The size of the energy wave depends on how long it was charged, the maximum height is roughly half the height of Black Knight. The startup animation isn't too bad, but has the longest delay for a projectile. Not a horribly long delay, but about twice as long as Samus after firing a charged shot.

B Down: Counter
Black Knight quickly brings his cape infront of him with his left arm for 2 or 3 seconds. If Black Knight is attacked during the first second, he blocks the attack and one of two things happen depending on the enemy's location
If Black Knight is attacked at close range, his left arm swings out to stun them and then he swings his sword horizontally. The stunning attack is equivelant to half of their original damage but the swing itself is a powerful attack on it's own.
If it's a projectile, Black Knight pulls out a javelin from his cape and throws it at where ever the attacker is. The javelin is easy to dodge, but keeps the foe occupied for an approach.

Aerial Game
Jump: Black Knight has the longest jumping delay and a horrible jump height.

Neutral Air: Clearance
Black Knight pulls out a lance and spins it at his side. This isn't that powerful, but it can help him recover or make distance.

Forward Air: Domination
Black Knight does a full horizontal spin with the sword out. It hits like Link's spin attack in SSB64.

Up Air: Puncture
Black Knight turns to the side and looks up, swinging his sword back and forth over head. This actually hits the foe to the side depending on when they got hit.

Down Air: Swipe
Black Knight turns side ways and looks downwards as he pulls his cape across himself, then swings his arm out. This spike comes out somewhat fast and has a wide area, but it's short ranged.

Back Air: Brutal Fist
Black Knight leans to the side as he rams his fist behind him. Short ranged but powerful.

Grab Game
Black Knight's grab speed is about average. He grabs the foe by their head.

Grab Attack: Skull Crusher
Black Knight cringes his hand. It doesn't actually collapse their skull, though. xD

Forward throw: Finisher
Black Knight holds them out and slashes them away with a horizontal slash.

Down Throw: Slam
Black Knight slams them face first infront of him.

Up Throw: Impale
Black Knight holds them up and shoves the sword right into their center, sending them up.

Back Throw: Grounder
Black Knight brings his sword up and bashes their head with the hilt. This send the foe behind him.

Final Smash

Final Smash Idea 1: Ebon Cyclone
Black Knight begins to spin around faster and faster while holding out Alondite, creating a cyclone of dark energy around him. This pulls all enemies on the stage towards Black Knight with great force, depending on their distance. If they make contact with him, they're hit for tremendous damage. It last for 12 seconds and Black Knight can slowly move while using this.

Final Smash Idea 2: Destructive Wave
Black Knight plants Alondite into the ground and sends a tall wave of dark energy to both sides. This is very difficult to avoid, but easier to dodge if Black Knight was on lower ground prior to using this.

Final Smash Idea 3: Chains of Terror
Two magical ebon chains appear on the side of the stage and begin to home onto the nearest opponent for 15 seconds. If either makes contact, the other chain will join that one and wrap around the victim. Black Knight then does a powerful jump slash on the victim to send them flying.

Miscellaneous
Taunt
One of the most memorable quotes. Black Knight raises his sword and glances before him questioning "Do you want to die?". For a better understanding, watch this. He could also say "Is that all?" or something like that.

Victory Pose 1
He puts Alondite into his scabbard and takes off his helmet to reveal his true identity,
Zelgius
. He could possibly then say "I live to serve the Goddess.", as she gave him everything he has.

Victory Pose 2
He spins Alondite around and then thrusts the tip into the ground, igniting dark flames around him as his hands rest upon the handle.

Victory Pose 3
He swings horizontally twice and then raises the sword towards the screen, possibly followed by the words "None shall pass"..

so, what do you think?

Ryu777

Smash Ace
I think there might be one of these for him, but no matter, he deserves the publicity. I'd say I want three or four FE characters in brawl: Black Knight, Lyn, Marth, main character who isnt a swordsman.

P.S. does he ever get a name, or does he remain "the black knight" I cant seem to remember.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
Well the idea is good. I like FE characters for Smash, but your movelist makes Black Knight too similar to Roy with Flare blade and stuff..

KidSmash

Smash Journeyman
Smash G 0 D said:
Well the idea is good. I like FE characters for Smash, but your movelist makes Black Knight too similar to Roy with Flare blade and stuff..
its kinda expected for Roy to be replaced by someone else, like Ike, thats why i made that kind of movelist

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord

In my opinion, if he wants to stand out, he needs to have powerfull yet slow attacks. I also don't see him jump very high, but Sakurai could think of something for that.

Sora12225

Smash Cadet
I could definatly see that working...I don't know if I'd ever use him (besides when I first unlock him) But you definatly thought the moveset through.... And they had better NOT remove Roy...

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Personally, I never played the Fire Emblem games, but this guy is too cool not to have in Brawl

BLACK NIGHT FOR BRAWL!

gambolputty

Smash Apprentice
Wow i saw this topic and the first thing in my mind was the Black Knight from Monty Python and the Holy Grail (second best movie ever by the way). Anyway since he isn't in any game (Nintendo or otherwise) he wasn't the character you were referring to.

Anywho I personally think that he could easily be a character if it wasn't for the fact that we have a gross surplus of swordsmen already.

NukeA6

Smash Master
Ganondorf eats him alive. If there is gonna be a FE 9 character, it's gonna be Ike and/or Soren.

Revolver Roosevelt

Smash Cadet
Just a note, never use the ambiguous catagory "Power" when describing a character. One should only look at Bowser and Yoshi to see why: Bowser's Fsmash is rediculously strong, so some would give him an "A" in power... but wait! Yoshi's dair is by far and away more powerful than bowser's dair. Does that mean Yoshi should get a Doubleplus A because of that? Not at all. Every move has its own power(AND knockback AND offensive capabilities AND comboability)

Avoid ranking size the way you do, too. Why? Big characters tend to naturaly have longer range, small characters tend to naturaly have shorter range. And yet...at the same time, bigger characters are easier to hit.

Avoid ranking speed the way you do. If you mean "dash speed," then call the catagory "dash speed!" You might also want to consider WD length, Fallspeed, air mobility, and fastfall speed. Avoid considering attack speed in the equation, because each attack has its own speed (Ganny's utilt vs. his ftilt is a good example of speed discrepencies)

Usage is to vague for me to even understand <_>

KidSmash

Smash Journeyman
Revolver Roosevelt said:
Just a note, never use the ambiguous catagory "Power" when describing a character. One should only look at Bowser and Yoshi to see why: Bowser's Fsmash is rediculously strong, so some would give him an "A" in power... but wait! Yoshi's dair is by far and away more powerful than bowser's dair. Does that mean Yoshi should get a Doubleplus A because of that? Not at all. Every move has its own power(AND knockback AND offensive capabilities AND comboability)

Avoid ranking size the way you do, too. Why? Big characters tend to naturaly have longer range, small characters tend to naturaly have shorter range. And yet...at the same time, bigger characters are easier to hit.

Avoid ranking speed the way you do. If you mean "dash speed," then call the catagory "dash speed!" You might also want to consider WD length, Fallspeed, air mobility, and fastfall speed. Avoid considering attack speed in the equation, because each attack has its own speed (Ganny's utilt vs. his ftilt is a good example of speed discrepencies)

Usage is to vague for me to even understand <_>
so you are suggesting me to change the stats?

Ryu777

Smash Ace
The best movie being Kung Pow: Enter the Fist. ANyway, if he did get in, people would say marth's range is fair, and the balck kinght is so completely unfair.

Revolver Roosevelt

Smash Cadet
KidSmash said:
so you are suggesting me to change the stats?
I'm suggesting that you avoid using catagories for stats altogether. It would be better to create a well thought-out moveset geared to a certain gameplay style and give pretty specific details on the character' s stats.(Dash speed, foxtrot length, traction, jump height, short hop height, fallspeed, fastfall speed, walljumping, air mobility, ETC.) It would be too complicated to go into details such as exact jump heights, so you could probably compare them to other chars. (IE saying BKs short hop is the shortest in the game, his fallspeed is around the same as Roy's, He has comparatively low air mobility, etc.)

gambolputty

Smash Apprentice
Ryu777 said:
The best movie being Kung Pow: Enter the Fist. ANyway, if he did get in, people would say marth's range is fair, and the balck kinght is so completely unfair.
No no no. The absolute best movie ever is another work of the Monty Python crew. This time in the form of Monty Python's the Meaning of Life. Funniest movie ever and remember it's Christmas everyday in Heaven :chuckle:

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
gambolputty said:
No no no. The absolute best movie ever is another work of the Monty Python crew. This time in the form of Monty Python's the Meaning of Life. Funniest movie ever and remember it's Christmas everyday in Heaven :chuckle:
The "Life Of Brian" pwns all Monty Pythn movies. "The Holy Grail" is up there too. Remember, always look on the bright side of life :chuckle:

LUVTOY77-ROGUE WIREFRAME

Smash Champion
ive never played the fire emblem games, but marth was a masterpeice in ssbm. roy was ok, but his strength seemed exaggerated just enough to be a bit different from marth's. i think that seeing more fe characters would be nice. besides the fact fe seems to becoming more popular, this "dark night" guy looks awsome.

KidSmash

Smash Journeyman
Revolver Roosevelt said:
I'm suggesting that you avoid using catagories for stats altogether. It would be better to create a well thought-out moveset geared to a certain gameplay style and give pretty specific details on the character' s stats.(Dash speed, foxtrot length, traction, jump height, short hop height, fallspeed, fastfall speed, walljumping, air mobility, ETC.) It would be too complicated to go into details such as exact jump heights, so you could probably compare them to other chars. (IE saying BKs short hop is the shortest in the game, his fallspeed is around the same as Roy's, He has comparatively low air mobility, etc.)
yeah i know what you mean, but the problem is ive never seen him IN the game, i dont have FE games, the only times ive seen him are in the booklet (from a friend of mine) and in that 3D pic i have in the first post, so i can assure you the stats are not like that because i want him to pwn everyone, its because i dont know him to well, and i just thought hed be very powerful and stuff, so i apologize for my stats, but i can ask you...would you help me on that?

Resting_Fox

Smash Master
I don't know about the Black Knight. I mean, the name and character are the most bearded of cliches.

In fact he was probably named Black Night, with no other name revealed, to tacitly poke fun at that cliche.

Anyway, considering the prominence of Fire Emblem: PoR characters on Sakurai's poll, I think it's safe to say someone from that game is going to show up.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Ryu777 said:
The best movie being Kung Pow: Enter the Fist.
"You killed my family... and I don't like that kind of thing." - Chosen One :chuckle:
Yes that movie was awesome, but Monty Python and the Holy Grail is the undisputed king in my book.
"It's only a flesh wound." - The Black Knight
- I can only imagine how overused that phrase will be if this Black Knight makes it it... but at any rate, Black Knight FTW!
gambolputty said:
And that every sperm is sacred... :chuckle:
Monty Python rules all.

gambolputty

Smash Apprentice
Yeah the flesh wound joke will be unavoidable. But resting fox is right the Black Night is a little to cliche of a character (intentional or not) to be in brawl. He would just be Marth with Bowser's weight problem.

Are there any other FE characters that isn't so bland?

And yes hemightbegiant Life of Brian is awesome too but when but the whole 'there seems to be a whole in your mosquito net' bit just kills me -- '...it's because we were thinking of training as taxidermists and we want to get the feel of it from the animal's point of view.'

zombie7775

Smash Lord
I do like the idea of the black knight. He was a great character in the game, although he was pretty undefeatable(not that you cant beat him though). I think that he might make it better as a boss battle when you play through one player mode as Marth, Roy, or another FE character. Either way I would be happy.

Ferro De Lupe

Smash Lord
Originally, i nominated Soren, lethe, and TBK for Brawl as Fire Emblem represenatives and as the replacments for Roy and marth. But then I did some thinking and I realized that (even though FE needs a villian character) The Black Knight wouldn't be the...best choice for a character.

I still stand by Soren as a magic-using, non-sword, main character and Lethe as a second transformation character (beast form/human form), and I still want Roy booted out, but Marth should stay (although toned down a bit) to represent old-school Fire Emblem.

Manashima

Smash Apprentice
Black knight was great cause even in all that armor, he was immensely fast. Im not sayingn they cant change it, but he was strong and very fast ingame...

Stryks

Smash Hero
Ireally want this guy cause:
1) Hes my favorite FE character
2) Hes the cooles looking one
3)only know like 6 Characsters in FE

chaos971

Smash Rookie
The concept looks incredible. The one flaw that I see, could be that this is what people are asking for with the new Gandorf. I personally hope they keep the current Ganon moveset and modify it, but people want him with his great sword. So if Ganon is given his sword these two would be very similar.

Goron-dorf

Smash Rookie
I was just about to make this topic when I found this one.

I think The Black Knight fits in perfectly with Brawl. Just because two characters use swords doesn't mean they have to be similar. A lot of times people seem to have the unspoken notion that all Brawl characters that migrate from Smash will have to be the same, or nearly the same. For instance, Roy/Marth/another sword user could be made to be quicker but with less range/weight. That paves the way for a lumbering, massive, two-handed sword wielder. And even if BK and Ganonsword are both included, there could be interesting contrasts to their styles.

I can just envision the Black Knight in Brawl, the weight of the sword/armor influencing the way he walks/jumps/flies through the air. Maybe 'dorf could be more powerful than BK but with less defense. Or perhaps use some magic or some of his hand-to-hand tactics from Melee (I personally think his Melee spike is perfect).

Stryks

Smash Hero
*Bump*
Lol im hopin this thread can stay alive for a while, this guy would have the power, similair or maybe higher than ganon (hey i can dream), he would stand out, a big guy in evil-lookin black armor, with a giant sword doesnt impress u I dont know what will lol XD, still im hopin he makes it this guy pwns XD...

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
The Black knight is boring and uninspired. He has virtually no storyline... we all expected him to be so important to the game and the story, but no....

I really you like him so much out of anything but sheer fanboyism ... he has virtually no storyline... we all expected him to be so important to the game and the story, but no....

Inui

Banned via Warnings
He's pretty cool.

The student of General Gawain/Greil that turns evil.

His armour is blessed by the Goddess and makes him impervious to everything but Ragnell, Alondite, Gurgurant, and powerful Laguz.

He also has that warp powder stuff.

He's too broken.

Ferro De Lupe

Smash Lord
I still would rather see Nephenee, Soren, or a Laguz character. I won't be angry if he does make it in, mind you... I will just be a bit disappointed that he took up a slot with another sword-user...

FireBomb

Smash Lord
Envisioning the Black Knight in Brawl would be odd...A big chunk of metal and iron jumping and running all over the place. He would be a real fast faller with all that weight. Don't get me wrong, I like the Black Knight and all...a villian from a game like Fire Emblem would be a surprize. He could use Luna as one of his attacks and I remember Ranulf saying something like "How can he move so fast with all that armor? It's not natural!" He would have somewhat more speed than expected.

Stryks

Smash Hero
The Black knight is boring and uninspired. He has virtually no storyline... we all expected him to be so important to the game and the story, but no....

I really you like him so much out of anything but sheer fanboyism ... he has virtually no storyline... we all expected him to be so important to the game and the story, but no....
There ARE charcaters that dont have much of a storyline either: ICs, Game and watch, dr mario, hey they added game and watch a guy NO ONE wanted, why not add the black knight, its time we get a big guy that actually works well...

Top Bottom