• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

WWYP4 -- One Man's Treasure (Deadline Feb 19th at Noon and Scav sucks again!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
Alright ladies and gentlemen! It's time for Write With Your Power 4!

We've been hitting a few troubles (namely, myself not getting scores done in a timely fashion), but the only thing that matters is everyone wants to keep writing. Everyone has improved an amazing amount. The simple act of writing these stories is very valuable, and I'm thrilled that we have such an enthusiastic community.

Congratulations to Bluezat for winning the last round. Here is the prompt we decided on:

The prompt:

Write a story where the main character finds a magical object.

Easy, right? Aw, but nothing is ever that easy. What this prompt lacks in depth, we want you to make up for in panache. You can write in any genre that you want. Any era that you want. Any tense, point of view, whatever. But you have to have an object come into the main character's posession that impacts him in a huge way. How he comes across it, and what it is, are up to you.

Your item can be anything. It can be a Big Dumb Object, or maybe a Macguffin, or the magical sword of demons that slays the angel of death.

The holy grail, a pair of glasses that see through the clothing of people you aren't attracted to, a pen that writes by itself, or a voodo doll.

The hard part, as always, is to do something unique. You have a lot of leeway, but watch your Faustian Bargains and Magic Lamps. They're good elements, but we all know that Power Corrupts. Shoot for something fresh, and it will be truly magical.

The deadline is February 16th. Good luck!

--------------------------------

The Judges for this round will be Scav, Bluezaft, and one more undetermined judge to be announced soon.

And the following are the judging categories and what is meant by each (total of 45 points; scoring regimen subject to change):

Adherence to Prompt - 5 pts
Matt - Simply put: if you follow the stipulations of the prompt appropriately, then you will be rewarded. Suppose the prompt calls for a protagonist with OCD. What you should do is make a point to show us that the character has OCD by making him adjust pictures on the wall in mid conversation or constantly trying to part his hair perfectly while wrestling an alligator. If your character just tucks in his shirt once and there are no other clear implications of his OCD, you will not be given many points. Let the prompt guide your story. Also, if your story does not fall within the designated word count, you will not earn as many points.

Scav - 1 means you didn't follow it at all. 3 means you had all the necessary work, but didn't expand on the prompt at all, or didnt use it in an interesting way. 5 means I wish I'd thought of that.

Spelling and Grammar - 5 pts
Matt - Use spell check, people! It saves lives.

Scav - It should be easy to get 5 points here. 5 means there were no spelling errors and no obviously incorrect grammar. Awkward phrasing is a style issue, so grammar involves stuff like tense changes, incorrect subject/verb agreement, etc. 3 means I always got what you meant, but had to do extra work because of mistakes.

Characterization - 10 pts
Matt - We're not asking for some super dynamic transformation from a short story character, but what we would like to see are characters who are well developed and believable. In general, avoid the three C's: corny clichéd conventions! The combination of all three is a killer.

Scav - 3 means the characters worked. They were solid archetypes or decently fleshed out, and I felt some amount of empathy. 5 means they were either fully unique, or I could really see them as a real member of our world.

Style - 10 pts
Matt - How creative are you? Is your story structured coherently? Is your plot the least bit interesting? What makes the events you're writing about immediate and interesting? This category is the sum of all things that makes your writing style unique and worthwhile. Style can make or break any writer, and it's the key component in a short story contest.

Scav - This is the most "x-factor" of the categories. It involves word choice, symbolism, plot structure, and the execution of imagery. How much "oomph" do the words have. This does not involve thematic elements so much as how the thematic elements are described.

Plot - 10 pts:
Matt - The important thing to remember about plot (and about good story writing in general) is that everything that happens must in some way relate to the central idea and carry the story forward in a manner that can only be described as compelling. Ask yourself about every single sentence and paragraph "Is this necessary?" The more your story speaks "necessity," the more points you'll get in the plot area.

Scav - The ostensible material of the story. How does the story carry you forward? Does it hold your interest? Plot structure is involved somewhat, though that is more of a style issue. Do the events of the story and the conflict of characters interest you? 3 means I would read the story again. 5 means I couldn't put it down. 3 times.

Theme - 5 pts:
Matt - Theme is very important, but more important than theme is subtlety. Don't preach, but don't muddle. And, in general, we're looking for meaning and subtext, not shallowness and banality.

Scav - The "aboutness" of the story. Sure, my story was about the ordeals of Matt as he was trapped inside an ever changing painting, with each and every painting ending with him getting sodomized by a mysterious figure. It was about how he escaped, only to realize it was someone painting his escape, and he is faced with a new blank canvas. But the story is about Matt's sexual repression, how he deals with it, and the lessons he must learn. It's about the lack of morals in his life before becoming trapped in the painting. I wrote the story because I wanted it to be about the rigors of anal sex. And Matt. 3 means it got me thinking. 5 means it kept me thinking, even after I fnished.

---------------------------------

The following are things I noticed (mistakes, weak points, confusions, things of that nature) in a number of the writer's stories. Many people lost points from me for style and spelling/grammar for these things, so take the following into consideration if you want to maximize your score (and if you just care about improving as a writer):

Tips from Matt

Improper Comma Usages

When two clauses are separated by a conjunction, there must be a comma. You could argue that omitting the comma is a matter of style, but I've read enough essays from my peers and younger writers to know that this mistake is repeated constantly in academic writing as well. Do you see what I did there? When I say "clauses" I'm referring to the fact that both sides of the sentence in question can be made into two complete sentences.

For example: "I bought a hooker, and my wife disapproved."

Also note that two cluases with the same subject don't need a comma, and often the subject is simply ommitted the second time.

For example: "Hookers are a tasty treat and (hookers) smell like bacon."

"Upon" instead of "On"

These two words mean almost the exact same thing, however, using "upon" in every single instance instead of "on" makes you look just plain full of yourself. This isn't even a matter of British vs. American english, it's just a matter of blanantly attempting to sound more intelligent by adding two letters that aren't necessary. Also, grammatically, you cannot use "upon" to mean "on" in every case. When talking about a relationship between two things, "upon" cannot be used.

For example: "Give me all the money on (never "upon") the counter or else granny here will taste hot lead."

Simple Proofreading

I shouldn't even have to say this, but the amount of confusion between words like "their," "they're, and "there" and between "its" and "it's" is astounding. The fact is that we know the differences; it's just easy to make the mistakes and not even notice them ourselves. Whatever you're writing and for whatever purpose, have someone else proofread. You'll be surprised at all the mistakes you missed. Don't feel bad about it, because the vast majority of writers are in the same boat. Is it any wonder why editors are so well paid?

The Moment Before

Most writers do have a sense of immenence. Just look at today's entertainment and how fast-paced and thrilling and OH MY GOD everything's about to EXPLODE and we have TEN SECONDS before we shoot this hostage! That's entertaining enough, however, good storytelling paints a believable image of the "moment before." No, that doesn't mean expository exactly; it just means justifying why your characters are in the position that they are and why what's going on is important now. Young writers tend to forget the importance of this step, and consequently fail to answer the following very important question: "What are they Fighting For?"

Lack of Subtlety in the Theme

Young writers seem to have this notion that they are possessors of all the world's greatest wisdom and that their works will change the world. As we get older and truly wiser, we learn a little thing called tact and, more importantly, subtlety. It's great to have beliefs, but please don't preach them. Never make it abundantly clear what the message is, because then the entire experience is cheapened. The best themes creep up on you after you've finished reading, not in a philosophical paragraph from the writer's perspective. You'll find that there's a "theme" inherant to everything in life, and in most cases you may never be certain what that theme is. Mystery is alluring, no?

Corny Dialogue

Most young writers will use their characters as blatant allegories for the theme, and this yields itself to some corny dialogue. Say the dialogue aloud to yourself. Does it sound natural? Does it sound like you could have this conversation with someone? Are your dialogues overly dramatic and too philosphical? If you want an example of corny dialogue, see anime. Especially if your story is modern and contemporary, your dialogue has to be at least remotely recognizable as today's speech.

Excessive Adjectives and Adverbs

In just about every single piece of literature I've read from young writers, I see excessive modifiers. Particularly, I see everything action described with "slightly" or "slowly." Think to yourself before using any of these types of words: does it really enhance the story? Does it even enhance the word all that much? I'm not saying minimalism is the only way to write, but it certainly beats being told precisely what to make of every description without imagining for yourself what to make of them.

Ambiguous Pronouns

In trying to immerse your reader into the story, the last thing you want to do is make them stop and wonder who or what your pronouns are referring to. Take the following two sentences as an example of ambiguous pronouns: "The two men went to the club and ordered some drinks for a couple of hot babes. They were juicy and delicious." Who does "they" refer to? The men? The drinks? The women? You have to be clear with your pronouns, or don't give your sentences so many subjects. Conversely, not using pronouns at all creates redundancy, and that turns away readers, too.

Good luck!

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Eorlingash me again

Though I don't think I need to even mention that anymore.

Edit: Is the term "Magical" up to interpretation? Or does it actually have to be supernatural? I'd figure it's the former, though I might as well make sure.

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
EDIT: Scav's a poophead.
Quoted for Truth ;)

Anyways, I'm excited about the prompt. Also, judges are Scav, Bluezaft, and an unidentified some one else? Does that mean Matt gets to give it a go and show us how it's done?

Good luck every one!

Matt

Banned via Administration
I may join. I don't know, I've been really unmotivated so far this year, and classes/work/lifting just started up for me again. Now I'm unmotivated AND stressed out! Yaaay! I'd like to join, though. I might pull a last minute entry ala Scav.

demoncaterpie

Smash Champion
Abra abra cadabra. I wanna reach out and grab ya!
**** it. Why does the deadline have to be the same day as the deadline for The Lot? (for those of you who don't know, The Lot is a new reality show Executive Produced by Stephen Spielberg where people submit five minute short films and 16 winners get to compete in Apprentice-style showdowns).

If you post-poned the deadline a week, I would totally have something done. I mean, this prompt was practically made for me.

Oh, and uh, if you want to vote for me, go to The Lot and vote for Default_Studios, once the movie's up that is...

sheepyman

BRoomer
BRoomer
i hope matt joins :)

i might be joining this too, but I'm not too sure

i'll be avoiding those last minute scavs from the mini-wwyp though.

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
I thought about having the deadline be the 23rd instead of the 16th, but I chose against it for very selfish reasons. My birthday is that weekend, and I don't feel like closing topics that friday :p

Actually, I'll probably move it back to that sunday, the 18th. Everyone always appreciates a full weekend to write, I suppose.

demoncaterpie

Smash Champion
Abra abra cadabra. I wanna reach out and grab ya!
I thought about having the deadline be the 23rd instead of the 16th, but I chose against it for very selfish reasons. My birthday is that weekend, and I don't feel like closing topics that friday :p

Actually, I'll probably move it back to that sunday, the 18th. Everyone always appreciates a full weekend to write, I suppose.
That's better then Friday at least.

Who knows, maybe I'll finish my movie early. I really want to enter this one to, so I'll see what happens.

tmw_redcell

ULTRA GORGEOUS
BRoomer
I'll be in if I think of something.

Also I notice you guys didn't specify the maximum word count that means there isn't one, stamped it, no erasies, blackball beats it all.

Also, if the magical object HAS to impact the character in a major way then you should make it part of the big bold prompt. Otherwise I'll write a story about a used car salesman with a troubled past and nothing left to lose. He finds a magic purse that, when he carries it, allows him to sell any car for any price to anyone. But the catch, the wizard (who has a troubled past and nothing left to lose) tells him, is that its power is only activated when Scav's not being a slow judge. But then, since the salesman has to carry the purse around all the time (that is another one of the catches that the wizard told him about when you weren't paying attention) everyone assumes he's gay, including the girl of his dreams. The girl of his dreams walks in one day, looking to find a nice, straight car salesman.

She has had a thing for car salesman ever since the time when she was abused by her father, who hated used car salesman because they ripped him off. He actually got a pretty good deal that time, it's just that he heard the year of the car wrong and thought he was getting a '91 Taurus when he really got a '94. So when he got mad about this, which was like every Thursday because he watched a TV show that had a lot of commercials for car lots during it, he took it out on his daughter while screaming curses upon that used car salesman. Also, the girl has nothing left to lose.

But anyway this girl comes in and sees the salesman showing customers some cars while carrying the magic purse. She knew she'd be perfect for him because she could tell by the look in his eyes that he had a troubled past, which was something they had in common, and also what they had in common was that they had nothing left to lose. But, since the salesman was gay, she had to respect his lifestyle and move on to the next lot. But, before she did, the salesman tried to talk to her and get to know her because he thought she was beautiful and they would have a lot in common, for instance, troubled pasts and the lack of things they had to lose. But, if they were together, they'd have each other. The girl, however, thought that his overly-friendly behaviour was just him being a pushy salesman, which turned her more on than she had ever been on because of the abuse thing. So, also, while she was leaving, she cried and the salesman cried too. So instead of going to the next lot like I said she did, she actually cried so much that she died of dehydration right there, and then the salesman did too because he was a tragic hero.

Then at the end, Scav steps from behind a used car and makes a remark about how important it is to not be too quick to judge, then the wizard comes in and says that Scav's right, so he changes the restrictions on the purse so it can just be used whenever. Also it turns out that the guy who sold the Taurus to the perfect girl's dad was the protagonist himself! Then two horses ride in and, after brief mention of their troubled past and things to lose (or complete lack thereof, and in this situation that applies to both horses), Scav and the wizard ride off into the sunset, even though it's morning.

bluezaft

The True Zaft
So do we still bother to have this contest now, or just declare redcell the winner and move on to WWYP5?

Skywalker

Space Jump
Sounds like an interesting prompt.

Best of luck to everyone
(especially you Uncle Kenny ;))

Kragen

Smash Ace
Scav said:
It's bluezaft ;)

Btw: how are your comments getting along, scav?

Edit: This looks a lot like the prompt of WWYP2, where a song would change the plot or characters. Now it's an object. All it has to do is triggering something unusual, right?

technomancer

Smash Champion
Ok, so what are the stipulations of this item? Does it have to:

A) Specifically empower/disempower/otherwise affect the user?
B) Can the item affect everyone?
C) Does the story have to be about the main character's use of the item, or can the item be used more as just a plot device for the story?
D) Be fantastical in nature? (as implied by the word "magical") Or can it be like a James Bond ubergadget or something like that?

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
A) Not Necessarily
C) Perhaps
D) Depends

As for B... come on. It's magic. That means it can do whatever you want it to.

I want to see you people interpret these prompts. Stop trying to "please the judges" by finding what we're looking for. Just write. Write something you love. There's a reason the Prompt category is only 5 points. Prompts are for imagination. Not points.

Imagination.

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
Sheepyman isn't either and he actually placed, so I guess they just haven't gotten to it yet. I'm not upset...yet :)

Also, is there really no word limit?

sheepyman

BRoomer
BRoomer
He and I both are going to be Smash Writers soon! :D

I really like this prompt, I think I'll start sometime :).

Oh, yeah, it's around 10,000 characters I think.

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
I'm still deciding on word limit ;) I'm assuming nobody is going to write more than 7000 words before this afternoon.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Then why do you have a quill that says "Bluezaft is a writer" when you put your cursor over it?
He's missing the sexy orange name.

I don't know about this prompt... 'magical' things have never facinated me.

I guess I'll have to think outside the box, and write something very unique... like I did in the Mini WWYP.... which didn't really work out for me all that well...

BLEUGH.

sheepyman

BRoomer
BRoomer
It's beautiful...(the name, that is)...

Well guys, best of luck to you all! I'll be enjoying this prompt, and I think I have an idea about what to write, so I'll get started soon n_n!

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
You have to go to User CP and manually change it, V.

EDIT: Oh, I'm entering, though my idea isn't working out as nicely as I wanted it to.

Matt

Banned via Administration
I've thought of a story. Now, to find the time to write it!

And as a side note, I'm dropping one of my classes (8 AM 400 level Milton, **** that ****). It's literally impossible for me to find the time to do the work of five English classes in a single semester. And work 20 hours a week. And go to the gym regularly. And try to maintain any semblance of a social life. And sleep at night. What the hell, I've been up since 6 why am I not tired??

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Five English classes? How many credits all together are you taking, Matt?

As for WWYP, I think I've finally found the base of my story. Go me.

Kitten

Smash Journeyman
I remember reading some story (I think it was called 'The Word', but there are probably about 500 stories called that) about some guy who accidentally comes across a word that answers any question correctly. Does it have to be a magic object, or can it also be an ability, like that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom