• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

WWYP4 -- One Man's Treasure (Deadline Feb 19th at Noon and Scav sucks again!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
Yes, but it still needs to be remotely followed. And I really don't think it is too hard to have some "magical" object pop up in a story and affect some one.

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
Disregarding the prompt technically only loses you 5 points. But, if you blatantly disregard it (not even try to break it, just disregard it altogether) then that will result in some angry judges. And angry judges are known to dock points. Factor in the fact that what you do with the prompt influences your Style and Plot scores, then you stand to lose a lot more than five.

If it gets you to write something, then by all means, write it while disregarding the prompt. But post it in the CM. Don't waste the judge's time with something that doesn't belong in the contest.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
After major brainstorming last night, I thought of a story that'll keep the prompt up to a happy 5/5.

And all it took was a switch of genre. :(

I don't know why it was so hard for me to think of it.

Virgilijus

BRoomer
I just finished my plot last night to the chagrin and amusement of my roommates :)

Now for the hard part...

pokemonmaster01

BRoomer
BRoomer
Well I got a story in my head the moment I read the prompt, but I haven't actually put anything on paper yet. And I read it like last week. I'm getting really bad about these deadlines. First contest: finished way early. Third contest: Finished the night of the deadline. Mini contest: didn't finish at all, said I would finish later but haven't written another word.

Ugh.

Zephyr

Smash Lord
Ahhhhh...

I can't write, but I'll try anyway. Hmm...I wonder what a good plot device would be? Amnesia? Too abused. Martyr? Too deep and it would take too long. How the hell are we supposed to put magic into the real world? Ah well...I'll just disregard reality in its entirety since the presence of a magical object completely destroys any logic or reason in the world anyways. =P

tmw_redcell

ULTRA GORGEOUS
BRoomer
The sory doesn't even have to be in the real world, Zephyr. It could take place in some fantasy world like Middle-Earth or Rand McNally, and your characters could be dolphins or bits of string. And everything could be invisible except your main characters tiny, tiny genitals. Sky's the limit.

Zephyr

Smash Lord
Hmm...interesting. So I could go total FF7 on you guys and you wouldn't complain? Thanks for the help, BTW.

tmw_redcell

ULTRA GORGEOUS
BRoomer
Well as long as 'total FF7' is a generalization of fantasy/sci-fi elements and not anything directly from the game itself. Fan Fiction's not allowed. As far as I know, I'm just pretty sure that's how it has been since the first contest. But you can have your characters blasting magic and summoning megademons or whatever if you want.

Zephyr

Smash Lord
I'm just talking about basing it in that world. Not stealing characters or anything, though it might contain a couple spare references. It would mainly concentrate on my own characters, though. Is that bad? I just see a lot of untapped potential in that world. The slums, for example. There could be a total "Come back from behind" storyline in there.

EDIT: Hmm...so I guess not, huh? Well, I guess that what I'm intending to do wouldn't really count as Fan-Fiction...

Define Fan-Fiction.

tmw_redcell

ULTRA GORGEOUS
BRoomer
From Wikipedia: " Fan fiction (also commonly spelled as fanfiction and frequently abbreviated to fanfic or occasionally just fic) is a broadly defined term for fiction about characters or settings written by fans of the original work, rather than by the original creators. Fan fiction usually describes works which are uncommissioned by the owner of the work, and usually (but not always) works which are not professionally published. Fan fiction is defined against original fiction, which exists with its own discrete universe, and against canon works within the universe. Most fan fiction writers assume that their readers have knowledge of the canon universe in which their works are based ."

Using another setting still counts as fan fiction. There's untapped potential in every story, and you can write all the fanfic you want but for these contests you have to write "original fiction." You can take basic elements that really inspire you from another story and run with it yourself, but don't just set it in FF7's world, you'd be writing "Original Character Fan Fiction." But you can have slums rising against their opressors, it's been done before and will be done after.

Zephyr

Smash Lord
Alright, it shouldn't be too tough to adjust for that. I'd hardly have to change it at all, I just would've liked to do it with FF7. Oh well. =/ Thanks.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
The sory doesn't even have to be in the real world, Zephyr. It could take place in some fantasy world like Middle-Earth or Rand McNally, and your characters could be dolphins or bits of string. And everything could be invisible except your main characters tiny, tiny genitals. Sky's the limit.
If your story is anything like what you've written in this thread, I can't wait to read your entry.

Matt

Banned via Administration
If by "brief" you mean "brief like The Bull," then you're going to have to come up with something longer and with more substance. That worked nicely as a parable, but short stories need to have a lot more weight.

There's no minimum, but I'd recommend at the very least 1000 words.

Drab Emordnilap

Palindrome Bard
BRoomer
Oh, obviously I meant longer than that; that was something I worte in 15 minutes last night.

I just meant that I have problems turning out 12,000 word leviathanesque short stories like some of y'all find so easy. :p

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
A blurb:

People apart of society, are people willing to conform to its rules.
A man in his late twenties is tired. Not physically, but mentally.
Tired of having to conform to the parameters of society, of reality.
He will soon be given an alternative, a means with which to craft his own reality.
There's a catch though.

There's no turning back after entering Pandora's Door.

[WWYP4] Door to Pandora (Coming Soon)
---

In other news, my story 'Carnation Coronation' got published, and my school has the book it's in (It's thicker than 'War and Peace').

I'll see if I can photocopy it for you guys.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
A professional writer among the boards! I would love to read your work. If nobody else, I will comment on your story (although I'm sure you will recieve a lot of attention). As for me, I'm an aspiring writer. I've tried and tried again to make this one story I'm writing work (I want to make it a book) but I just can't seem to find a suitable style yet. Oh well... Practice makes perfect. I'm only 15 after all...

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
I'll see if I can photocopy it for you guys.
Please do, because that website still doesn't list any story by that title. I'm not doubting you, I just want to make sure.

Either way, what's your real name?

Virgilijus

BRoomer
Watch it be John Grisham...

Man, with all of my schoolwork I haven't put a single word to paper. I better have a free weekend one of these days...

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
My real name is Anthony Smith (Most generic name ever), 16 years old and proudly Australian.

@Scav: Lol, nothing, in fact, they made me (Or the school rather) pay 80 dollars for the **** book. I could've also ordered a nice set of 12 bookmarks for 36 dollars. T'was bull.

@Uncle Kenny: Professional writer? hardly, but published, yes, once, in a book I had to pay for to confirm my spot in the book (Blackmail)

I am not trying to claim I'm SuperWriterMan, cause I'm obviously not. Any attempt at me being high and mighty should be stopped immediately.

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
Sorry Vyse, but I warned you about that kind of scam. The way those books make money is by letting hundreds of people in, knowing most families will buy a copy.

It's awesome that you get to see your name in print, but a good rule of thumb is if you are paying other people for your writing, then something is wrong.

tmw_redcell

ULTRA GORGEOUS
BRoomer
Nobody 'wrote the book', it's basically an anthology where everyone who sends something gets in as long as they buy a copy of the book. That's usually how they work, at least. It's not really being 'published', the same way self-publishing doesn't make you 'published.' The same thing happens with poetry a lot.

Matt

Banned via Administration
Yeah, in my Sophomore year of high school my teacher recommended me for a book that collected "exceptional English students" in a year book type of thing. I didn't want to do it knowing that it was a scam (basically the same, buy the book and your name and picture get in it), but my mom talked me into it and said I could put it on job applications. I don't put it on my job applications. I don't even have it on my shelf; it's in a box somewhere.

On a related note, I submitted my first two Indie Songbook stories to the university's publication. No, not because I could be published. I REALLY want that 100 dollar cash prize for best submission. = D

sheepyman

BRoomer
BRoomer
Hey, you know, before WWYP I would never write anything except for English class.

Ever.

Not that it's gotten me anywhere, but it feels like an accomplishment of some sort anyway.

The reason I did WWYP was because of Evil Eye.

And of course, to steal that which Eor deserved.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
No worries Scav, I knew perfectly well what I was walking into. That's why I made the school buy it like the sneaky sneak I am. It is awesome to see my own story in print, it feels like a step forward for me.

Lets hope I don't take two steps back with my WWYP4 entry.

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
I'm thrilled to hear that, Sheepy :)

The goal of WWYP is to get people to write for the sake of writing. Prizes and acknowledgment are all well and good, but the single best thing people take away is motivation.

That's why I'm thrilled that we have a little community popping up. And don't worry, Matt and I are working on ways to keep it thriving ;)

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
We still don't have another judge, do we?

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Gah! I am unsatisfied with my entry as of now. I am just going to put it in 1st person and see how that works out. Of course this will be my first try at first person (I seem to be trying a lot of new things this round: Different genre, different point of view....) so it may not turn out so swell but at least I am trying something different instead of being repetitive. Who knows? Maybe I will find out that I am better in this perspective.

After all, it is better to have a broad sense of knowledge on a particular subject rather than one strength. Would you all agree? I talk too much...

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I tried writing this one in third person and failed. Epically.

I can only seem to write in 1st person for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom