• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

(」・ω・)」 MARS la Marf in Smash 4 (/・ω・)/

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Also here's a set from said tournament, only singles one I had recorded.

$5 zimbabwe dollars to those who can pin point when I started paying attention to the waft timer and when I remembered dancing blade.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Yeah, super ****ing hype about that. I'm not anal about a double post here after multiple days break between said posts.

Also won a brawl tournament, beating tinman.
Been playing a bit more of Melee recently (mainly because everyone sucks at brawl/doesn't want to play anymore), and it makes me appreciate just how much more well-rounded Marth is in Brawl over melee. I hate the fact down tilt doesn't beat everything in melee while it does in Brawl due to it angling upwards. I also hate how I can't shield immediately afterwards, haha. I hate how nair doesn't have borken hitboxes and doesn't beat every move in the game horizontally.

View attachment 13134

Pay very close attention to that 45 degree angle upwards frame (it's actually out for 2/3rds of a single frame, most capture devices won't actually see it happen, lol [training mode at 1/4 speed covers it though]). If that existed in melee I would not be getting ****ed over by ****ty character's neutral airs, like Falcon or Falco.

I'll look into this later, I've never noticed it.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
2:30 is around when you remembered DB.

My guess on waft is probably immediately after the first or second waft. You didn't look like you changed dramatically on that count.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Oh, the Wario Matchup.....
I don't seem to get good at it, Wario always seems to find a way to get under Marth and juggle him to death, and he moves so much that killing him (other than Grab Release) feels impossible.
HALP :C

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I envy you Shaya, that Wario is not nearly as good as Croi, my local Wario.

He didn't use fair like at all, his bair usage needed work, he wasn't grabbing you enough and his punishes tended to be sub-optimal.

@ ぱみゅ ぱみゅ I could try to offer some pointers on Wario if you had a vid for me to critique.

Lately I just get mad at this match-up because Croi outpaced me and I'm tired of Brawl. My sets against him are really close until I get wafted and lose. It's basically a coin-flip on if I get wafted twice per game (I lose) or just once. (I usually win)

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I can't seem to get the same result in my programs, perhaps it only exists in 1/4 training mode.

People have misinterpreted the game to being based around 60 frames. This is not the case at all. After minimising the frame rate as much as I could (1/4 speed in training mode, plus emulator settings being like 180 or whatever frames per second) it became very obvious how every animation is programmed and how especially with Marth, there are these jagged movements which happen too quickly to be seen in 30fps (standard capture) and even 60fps.

But I assure you, those hitbox placements exist. When I down tilt people and hit with that angled up hitbox, the freeze frames/hit lag makes it very obvious.
Another interesting Marth animation is his Up Smash, and it explains how the wonky overlap hitbox bug works out with him (he crouches slightly and pivots his body before the proper stab upwards)
usmash-hd.gif

I should re-record this, as its too fast to really see it here, haha.

2:30 is around when you remembered DB.

My guess on waft is probably immediately after the first or second waft. You didn't look like you changed dramatically on that count.
It was actually after the third. :p
And by dancing blade I guess I mean ground game focus, I put more thought into them from match 2.

Oh, the Wario Matchup.....
I don't seem to get good at it, Wario always seems to find a way to get under Marth and juggle him to death, and he moves so much that killing him (other than Grab Release) feels impossible.
HALP :C
Marth's fair hits high and low (I don't try to hit him with anything else in those situations) and well spaced down tilt wrecks spot dodge! Smart use of your second jump can be your get out of jail free card.

Last edited:

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
I clicked Shaya's link.. then when I noticed it was one stock, I was sad.

Last edited:

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
So I just got 2nd in a tourney in Sweden, losing only to Mr. R. I got 3-0'd in GF, but I was really close to taking a game off him. I beat him in doubles and won doubles though. Overall I was very satisfied with my tourney results in the tourney cause I knew I couldn't beat him anyway. But I didn't expect at all getting so close to beating the arguably best Marth in the world at the Marth mirror matchup. I literally had no experience whatsoever against someone of his level haha. Now I hope that if I ever face him in tourney again, I can make the matches with him much closer. Top 4 Brawl singles was recorded I think. I hope they are uploaded soon.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I know it was Apex 2013, but let's not exaggerate too much here.

Mikeneko got 5th and Ramin got 7th. That's not 'nowhere near'.

Mikeneko is better, yes, but it's not as big a difference as you make it sound.

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
OK, so this is currently the only way to watch the sets but:
http://www.twitch.tv/irregularjinny/b/534002356

LF:
Me vs xzx (Wario main, with Mr. R commenting)
Game 1: 9:50:15
Game 2: 9:54:04
Game 3: 9:58:04
Game 4: 10:03:21

GFs:
Me vs Mr.R (with some other guy commenting)
Game 1: 10:07:46
Game 2: 10:11:36
Game 3: 10:15:38
I could have done better against Mr. R, if only had better reaction time :( . I'll work on that and hope that this way I can stand a chance against players as good as him.

Last edited:

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
wat. ;-;
The only animes I've watched are Haruhi, Nichijou (holy crap it's awesome) and FMAB.

Like, where does everybody get all these animes from? x.x

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
=.=
I realized I should post in Q&A, but I guess can this count as a "dump everything here" thread too, much like the Q&A?
Here is mah post:

In a 2 vs 1 situation, is TL or Marth better? (In which I am the solo)

In 2 vs 1 where:
1) Both are campers
2) Both aren't campers/not that great at camping
3) One is a camper, one is not, etc.

Those are my mains so... yeah.
With Marth, I'm only gotten the bread-and-butter stuff completely down. Not much else. FYI.

Last edited:

Zano

Smash Master
NNID
DuelistZano
not much you can do in a 2v1 with marth unless they just run at you one at a time like an idiot, TL you can just run away with but you aren't gonna get kills anytime soon, so I guess TL would be better out of those two but you're pretty ****ed either way.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Marth is far better at 1v2 than you give him credit for.

...unless one of them is MK. Then you're pretty ****ed.

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
Okay. I don't really even think this goes in the Q&A Marth thread anymore because I'm talking about multiple characters. o.o;;

Anyway. So here's my situation:
Summer school.
OMG THERE'S A WII. So I bring Brawl.
After a week, people start noticing I brang Brawl.
The TV is SUPER SUPER laggy. I don't even know, something like 10 frame lag or something, I don't even know. That would make ~1/6 of a second. But yeah, it is super laggy, even in "game mode". When it's NOT in game mode, there's a freaking half second of lag. ಠ_ಠ
Anyway, I CANNOT do a significant amount of ATs, I cannot powershield (I literally just hold down shield now), I cannot REACT to very readable, punishable attacks in the way I want to so that I can punish (e.g. someone starts sniping from above with Kirby's down special), and I CANNOT TIPPER. Unless they're doing something really, really stupid (e.g. spamming Counter)
I can't even punish Pika's Thunder, Dsmash, Fsmash, and many other things.
There's this one guy who actually beats me just spamming those moves, and I usually can't beat him if for example, he has a 2 - 2.5 stock lead (.5 as in percentages. This isn't Melee, so a stock is a lead. QQ)

TL's spotdodge is one of the best in the game, so it is a nice spam if someone gets a Smash ball though, so that's great. (mmhm, itens are turned ON.)

Now with TL, I literally camp on the ledge, because no one cares about punishing me, and they don't even know HOW. (ledge attack is effective again, holy crap) and it's all fine. Until they tell me to stop using TL. Alright, I'll use Marth.

o.o;;
I cannot do anything. They're a freaking ball of damage on one side of the stage while I try stay on the other.
I just wait for someone to approach me, and punish their laggy approaches accordingly. Or at least, I try to.
I try to stay away from everyone else, but it doesn't work. They KNOW that I will win unless they all target me. So then they all target me, and I don't know... it's probably because I JUST picked up Marth, but I am pretty much helpless.

Unless.

Somehow, I am 1v1 ing another person.
I remember literally taking two stocks off a guy without him even laying a single finger on me.
I dunno, probably the reason why I'm doing so bad in FFAs is that I incorporate Dancing Blade a lot, and that's a no-no in FFA. I guess just consider that my laggy moves will get punished, but not everyone else's, because everyone is targeting me (please come back TL)

Ness, my other main, I do kinda the same thing as I do with Marth, except I sometimes use PK Thunder to snipe out people whenever it's safe. I still do better with Ness than Marth.... I don't know why. Probably because he was my first main when I was looking into the competitive scene, so I still know his moveset, even in a high-stress situation?

Anyway, halp. goddamn, this wall of text.
Best thing right now for me I guess is watch some videos... =.=
Anyway, thanks for answering stuff. I don't think that this post would fit on the Q&A, and this thread is the most active thread that I know of that it can fit into. Kinda.
I would post to Reddit, but they're not very helpful.

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Marth looks pretty bad.
Hopefully he's been buffed up a bit.
Otherwise "faster" Lucina, aka Brawl Marth is a-go.

But realistically our boygirl Robin has Marth's back air, which could actually be his forward air. And has a projectile. *sold*

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
Robin can apparently run out of tomes according to the trailer...
So if you don't have your wind tome while trying to recover, you're screwed. Maybe also, you can't get gimped too much or you're screwed.
The mechanics aren't very clear. Maybe gimping isn't very effective in Sm4sh, idk, everything is kind of a mystery without the developed metagame. >.>

And lol Lucina...
no tipper :/
hopefully the damage isn't TOO bad.

Last edited:

PEACE7

Smash Champion
OK, so this is currently the only way to watch the sets but:
http://www.twitch.tv/irregularjinny/b/534002356

LF:
Me vs xzx (Wario main, with Mr. R commenting)
Game 1: 9:50:15
Game 2: 9:54:04
Game 3: 9:58:04
Game 4: 10:03:21

GFs:
Me vs Mr.R (with some other guy commenting)
Game 1: 10:07:46
Game 2: 10:11:36
Game 3: 10:15:38
I could have done better against Mr. R, if only had better reaction time :( . I'll work on that and hope that this way I can stand a chance against players as good as him.
kind of salty didn't get to see any of the matches

Top Bottom