• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

118 Pikachu Tricks (Added Skullbash Edgeguarding)

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Woah, chill out. No need to blow a fuse. That's bad for Pikachu, y'know.

Last time I checked, autocancel WAS the correct term. As for what you're describing, when their animation ends due to landing, I believe the term they used was "landcancel". Otherwise we're stuck with an extensive explanation of how to perform an attack with no lag.
no...autocancelling is when you land in the middle of an aerial animation and all the lag ends. The only aerial of pikachu's that does this is pika's dair if you use it really quickly from a SH.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
no...autocancelling is when you land in the middle of an aerial animation and all the lag ends. The only aerial of pikachu's that does this is pika's dair if you use it really quickly from a SH.
I'm pretty sure that if you use Dair instantly as you SH, the animation of the Dair ends before you reach the ground. Pikachu lands on his feet very gracefully because the animation will have already ended mid-air.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
No Mister E, if you dair and go off teh cliff with it, you will not be able to grab the ledge because the attack animation isn't over. Its a frame specific Auto-cancel, not and overall autocancel.

K 2

Smash Lord
I'm so confused. I thought I knew what A-C meant, but...what the heck is it now? Have we come to a consensus on what A-C is?

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Auto cancel. When you land during an aerial (whether it be frame specific or lasts the whole duration of the attack) and 100% of the lag is eliminated.

K 2

Smash Lord
Ok thanks. What is it called when the animation ends before you land? I used to call that auto-cancelling (I thought it was a misnomer or something), but apparently I'm wrong. Is there a term for finishing the aerial before you land?

Muhznit

Smash Journeyman
That's just a short attack.
That's.... no offense, kind of stupid IMO. I think there SHOULD be a term for making sure the attack animation finishes in midair during a jump. Pikachu can do it will all of his aerials, however, they have different methods as pointed out earlier.

I mean, are we going to call short-hopped Fair approaches "Shorting" or something? I think we need an "-ing" term to describe such tactics some way or another...

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
So you are saying full hopping an up-air and since it finishes midair we should call it something special? Makes PERFECT sense...

kupo15

Smash Hero
Is there a term for finishing the aerial before you land?
So you are saying full hopping an up-air and since it finishes midair we should call it something special? Makes PERFECT sense...
No. That is called "finishing a move before landing" so you get no lag. Everyone has this.

Autocanceled is when you land while the move is still going on and you get no lag from it.

Why is it that when Ganon does a full hop with his Fair and lands he gets tremendous lag and ROB gets no landing lag when he lands right after the start of the move? Its because the programmers programmed ROBs Nair as an autocanceled move and Ganon's to not be.

Im not saying the section in the OP about "autocanceled" is bad, just dont include the word "autocancel" in it because none of Pikas moves are autocanceled (not sure about the Uair)

Dair-Lag from pulling his head out off the ground
Nair-Lag from bouncing off of the ground
Bair-lag from sprawling on the floor
Fair-lag from lying on his side (not sure, going from memory)
Uair-(not sure)

Muhznit

Smash Journeyman
To accurately describe a combo? Yeah. PERFECT sense indeed!

neji32

Smash Lord
No. That is called "finishing a move before landing" so you get no lag. Everyone has this.

Autocanceled is when you land while the move is still going on and you get no lag from it.

Why is it that when Ganon does a full hop with his Fair and lands he gets tremendous lag and ROB gets no landing lag when he lands right after the start of the move? Its because the programmers programmed ROBs Nair as an autocanceled move and Ganon's to not be.

Im not saying the section in the OP about "autocanceled" is bad, just dont include the word "autocancel" in it because none of Pikas moves are autocanceled (not sure about the Uair)

Dair-Lag from pulling his head out off the ground
Nair-Lag from bouncing off of the ground
Bair-lag from sprawling on the floor
Fair-lag from lying on his side (not sure, going from memory)
Uair-(not sure)
actually you can do a short hop Dair without lag

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
To accurately describe a combo? Yeah. PERFECT sense indeed!
Um...i don't get it.

The only one of pikachu's aerials that is autocancelled is dair, and that is frame specific. All of pikachu's aerials are fairly short, save bair and dair. Dair has frame specific auto-cancelling, most known as when you do it JUST as you leave the ground. Nair ends before you land (hence why you can make the dair shock after it in a SH) Bair doesn't end or have autocancel frames (which is why SH bair isn't very reliable, for you will get punished) Uair, normally ends, for it is the quickest of all of pikachu's aerials. If you use it too close to the ground, you will have some lag, but not a tremendous ammount. Fair has little noticable lag, but isn't lagless. If you use it right after a SH or FH, it will end before you land, so you can do anything else (not autocancelled.) Get my point?

K 2

Smash Lord
uair doesn't auto cancel, by the term we are using. "finishing a move before landing" is too long to type everytime you try to describe a combo or something. "finishing a move before landing" can refer to jumping and doing an aerial so you have do lag, or it can refer to doing an aerial when you are extremely high up so that you finish the move when you land. I think we should make up a word or phrase to describe SH or FH an aerial so that it has no lag.

kupo15

Smash Hero
actually you can do a short hop Dair without lag
This is because the move finishes before you land. This move is fast enough to end in one short hop before you land giving you no landing lag. Its the same thing with Thunderstorming with Ganon.
His Dair is not an autocanceled move. But the reason he can thunderstorm is because the Player inputs the Dair fast enough while rising to allow the move to finish before he lands. Ask any Ganon or try for yourself about how precise you have to be for that move. Even if you delay the Dair for a split second, you will get lag. If Ganons Dair WAS an autocanceled move, then you dont need to worry about a thing. You can land at anytime without lag

Um...i don't get it.

The only one of pikachu's aerials that is autocancelled is dair, and that is frame specific. All of pikachu's aerials are fairly short, save bair and dair. Dair has frame specific auto-cancelling, most known as when you do it JUST as you leave the ground. Nair ends before you land (hence why you can make the dair shock after it in a SH) Bair doesn't end or have autocancel frames (which is why SH bair isn't very reliable, for you will get punished) Uair, normally ends, for it is the quickest of all of pikachu's aerials. If you use it too close to the ground, you will have some lag, but not a tremendous ammount. Fair has little noticable lag, but isn't lagless. If you use it right after a SH or FH, it will end before you land, so you can do anything else (not autocancelled.) Get my point?
You both are missing the point. Pika's dair is not an autocanceled move because there are times where if you land, you will have lag from pulling your head out. THe frame specific thing you are referring to is being able to land the frame after the move is finished. This is not autocanceled because you arent canceling anything since the move is done

The bold is like ganons Dair. See above.

Yes, Nair can end before you land but if you start the Nair just before you hit the ground, you get the lag from boucing..hence, not an autocanceled move.

The short hop Bair you will always get lag because the move is longer than the Dair or at least its longer than the time it takes you to land from a shorthop. Sprawling on the floor means, No autocancel

Uair does finish before you land but if you start it before you land, you will get lag. Im still not sure about this move because I forget what it looks like when you land.

Fair, you already said its not autocanceled so were good.

I need to play with pika for a minute to see the Uair and Fair for myself. But I know there is a list of autocanceled moves for each character somewhere. I believe pikas Uair is the only one.

Here is a test. Pick ROB, Do a Nair before you hit the ground while holding shield the whole time and notice how fast the shield pops up. Now do the same with Pikas move and you will find that the Fair, Nair, Dair, and Bair dont behave like this. ROBs nair is an Autocanceled move

K 2

Smash Lord
Pika's uair doesn't autocancel. He ends up on his butt, similar to pika's trip position.

Muhznit

Smash Journeyman
Whatever the **** it is, let's follow what K2 said and come up with a term for finishing a "move before landing." This is getting nowhere at 80 mph.

neji32

Smash Lord
This is because the move finishes before you land. This move is fast enough to end in one short hop before you land giving you no landing lag. Its the same thing with Thunderstorming with Ganon.
His Dair is not an autocanceled move. But the reason he can thunderstorm is because the Player inputs the Dair fast enough while rising to allow the move to finish before he lands. Ask any Ganon or try for yourself about how precise you have to be for that move. Even if you delay the Dair for a split second, you will get lag. If Ganons Dair WAS an autocanceled move, then you dont need to worry about a thing. You can land at anytime without lag
actually the funny thing is, you cant just do a normal rising Dair to cancel it
but i know what your saying, i guess i just didnt know that we were talking about autocanceling......i just saw that he said pika has lag after a SHDair

kupo15

Smash Hero
Well idk pika as well as you do but at least the point came across. And I checked the autocancel thread and pika has no autocanceled moves. The only thing you can do is finish the aerial before landing. There is no shortcut name to it.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Well idk pika as well as you do but at least the point came across. And I checked the autocancel thread and pika has no autocanceled moves. The only thing you can do is finish the aerial before landing. There is no shortcut name to it.
This is true- sadly, Pikachu has none. Auto-cancelled means no matter when you input the aerial, there will never be landing lag. That's not the case with Pikachu's fair, bair, uair, dair, or nair.

K 2

Smash Lord
Let's make up a shortcut name for it. I don't want to have to type "finishing the move before you land" as opposed to a word oe two everytime I want to describe something. Any ideas?

Muhznit

Smash Journeyman
Some aerials only finish from full hops (pika's bair). Maybe FH (insert aerial) in addition to SH (insert aerial)?
Timing is a factor, too. Remember Ganon's Thunderstorming. It's the same for Pikachu. You need to do it instantly or else it's a waste. To go with components of the jump: Ascent, Peak, and MAYBE Descent should be considered.

K 2

Smash Lord
Maybe we can call it lagless (insert aerial) or lag cancelled (insert aerial)? It's not technically correct, but it could serve our purposes.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Or how about, FAIR OR NAIR. There is no specific name for an aerial that ends in the air. End of discussion.

Muhznit

Smash Journeyman
Or how about, FAIR OR NAIR. There is no specific name for an aerial that ends in the air. End of discussion.
End of End of discussion.

How about we actually take time to think about this. What's going to be hurt by a new term flying around the boards? Why so furious?

As for the term, how about Instant Input?
"Thunderstorming is done by Instant-Inputting a SH Dair." instead of "Thunderstorming is done by using dair the moment you leave the ground."
Or "Pikachu's Bair Lag can be eliminated if you Instant Input FH it." instead of "Pikachu's Bair Lag can be eliminated if you use it the moment you leave the ground in a Full Hop."

If it gets popular enough, maybe it can be supercondensed into just II.

K 2

Smash Lord
I like it! utilt->II uair->utilt. Perfect! Good Job Muhznit! I've been scratching my brain for the right term and you've found it for me!

Zylar

Smash Ace
How about laglessly landed -aerial- (LL)???
Or Aerially ended -aerial- (AE)???

But I like Instand-Inputting too.

By the way, what is the point of naming an aeiral that ended in the air? I mean, it isn't exactly a part of a string of attacks, or part of an AT as far as I know. I looked back, and saw the whole reason for this (kinda, not really, sorta) off-topic talk.

Never mind, I really like your term. (Well, mine sucked. At least I had the same idea -LL- - II- whatever.)
Yeah, pikas are the true thunderstormers.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
O.o just my input. Kupo is right with auto cancelling, and doing an aerial in the air and ending it before it hits the ground shouldnt have a special name like ESAM said. next time ill take my laptop when i am gone for a while so i can keep up with stuff like this xD

neji32

Smash Lord
ok guys many of you know this but none of you have really brought it up. But should SHDair have a name for it? Because its not a normale "finish the move before you land". If you just do SHDair then you will still hit the ground with lag time. But then theres other times that you can SHDair by (the way i do it) holding your control stick up while your rising and hit the cstick down. Then you will have no lag. So shouldnt that have a name?

K 2

Smash Lord
ok guys many of you know this but none of you have really brought it up. But should SHDair have a name for it? Because its not a normale "finish the move before you land". If you just do SHDair then you will still hit the ground with lag time. But then theres other times that you can SHDair by (the way i do it) holding your control stick up while your rising and hit the cstick down. Then you will have no lag. So shouldnt that have a name?
That's what we've been discussing for the past 3 pages. II (Instant Inputing) is the name we sort of came up with. It is doing an aerial as soon as you leave the ground, so the move finishes in the air and you have no landing lag. However, some people argue that it shouldn't have a special name: Just SH Dair as opposed to II Dair. Personally, I prefer II Dair to avoid confusion, but its up to you.

Zylar

Smash Ace
I think this reason (Avoiding confusion) is a very legit reason for using the phrase II. The confusion between a SHdair that has landing lag time and a SHdair that doesn't will be avoided through its usage.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
People...please...it should not have a special name, even though if we were to name it, i like instant inputting. There is basically 0 confusion between SHDair without lag and SHDair with lag...it is common sense based on the context around it which one it is.

Muhznit

Smash Journeyman
To spite ESAM. <_<

kidding, kidding. But why not over-simplify things?

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Because of the fact that it is Over-simplifying it and not just simplifying it...there is still no point...

Top Bottom