• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

118 Pikachu Tricks (Added Skullbash Edgeguarding)

Kallinx

Smash Rookie
You know..I never thought of Thunderstorming with Pikachu...with a name like "Thunderstorming" You'd think the first character I'd go to is Pikachu. I prefer Pikachu over Ganondorf as Pikachu can do it with his D-Air or F-air. I got a tournament this saturday so i'm gonna practice all of these that I can set up myself. By the way it's good to be back after so long...can't wait to perfect my Pikachu some more.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Fair just ends...it doesn't cancel in the same way as pikachu's and ganon's dair does.

K 2

Smash Lord
Can we just make it a word? If you don't like the acronym, then you don't have to use it. I think it will help newer players understand "Thunderstorming" and such. "Instant Inputting" makes sense (You input the aerial the instant you leave the ground).

How would you describe a SH'd aerial with and without lag?

The point is: II probably isnt' that necessay, since we've gone 7-8 months without it since Brawl came out, but II is a new term that could clarify things better. Is there anything special with II? No, but it helps to simplify things muhznit said.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
But...its already simple enough, we don't need simplifying...try making a topic about it in tactical discussion and see the responses...

Kallinx

Smash Rookie
Fair just ends...it doesn't cancel in the same way as pikachu's and ganon's dair does.
But it can work in the same way in how you can use the move all the way across a stage with no after-lag.

Muhznit

Smash Journeyman
But...its already simple enough, we don't need simplifying...try making a topic about it in tactical discussion and see the responses...
Wish Granted. Congratulations on wasting all of them.

The technique was named by Ganondorf players based sheerly on the attack it can be used with. However, it doesn't apply only to them. Multiple characters can lose the end lag on their moves by II'ing. Either their name goes or we give it a name that all characters can be compatible with.

Muhznit

Smash Journeyman
lol so far noone likes it.
I appreciate that you're trying to help everyone out. But most people should know this for their mains.
HMMM....

If anything, Zylar is the one that suggested I get a list of moves for this. Then again, he only had 58 posts at the time of asking, so I guess he may have not known the right term.

But what the hell is the right term, then? If there's a term for flailing a crow tied to a bar around your head, are we going to call it crowbarring? What happened to the days of Melee when things actually were pretty **** simple; Shffl: Short-Hopped Fast Falled L-Canceled ring a bell anyone?

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
So what would we call it for fair. FALTGSTINLA? Fair after leaving the ground so there is no lag after?

Muhznit

Smash Journeyman
So what would we call it for fair. FALTGSTINLA? Fair after leaving the ground so there is no lag after?

I honestly can't tell if you're being stupid, or just trying to spite me. Seriously, this thing's gone off-topic enough.

Apparently you can't GET THE MESSAGE that we need simple yet descriptive terms, and I am getting a cerebreal tumor from this. -_-

Adding you to ignore list nao. kthnxdie.

Zylar

Smash Ace
Please Know Your Facts First. Think B4 U Speak!!!

May as well add this:

Thunderstorming (Pika-Style)
Stolen straight from the Ganondorf Players, it's where you Dair and short hop at the EXACT same time so you get none of Dair's lag and autocancel it. How is it useful? You do 12 damage (2 more than the "bolt" in thunder) with VERY low ending lag.
FIRST of all, Muhznit used auto-canceling incorrectly.

might as well add the "auto-canceled" (not sure if the terminology is correct) nair and uair.
SECONDLY, K 2 said that he wasn't sure if in was being used correctly.
After this there were multiple posts on what auto-canceling is and it's correct usage, as well as the distinction between auto-canceling, landing with lag, and finishing an aerial in the air. There WAS confusion, there WAS misunderstanding. Some posts trying to explain were difficult to follow.
This post by Kupo15 explains everything quite nicely.

This is because the move finishes before you land. This move is fast enough to end in one short hop before you land giving you no landing lag. Its the same thing with Thunderstorming with Ganon.
His Dair is not an autocanceled move. But the reason he can thunderstorm is because the Player inputs the Dair fast enough while rising to allow the move to finish before he lands. Ask any Ganon or try for yourself about how precise you have to be for that move. Even if you delay the Dair for a split second, you will get lag. If Ganons Dair WAS an autocanceled move, then you don't need to worry about a thing. You can land at anytime without lag

You both are missing the point. Pika's dair is not an autocanceled move because there are times where if you land, you will have lag from pulling your head out. THe frame specific thing you are referring to is being able to land the frame after the move is finished. This is not autocanceled because you arent canceling anything since the move is done

The bold is like ganons Dair. See above.
Yes, Nair can end before you land but if you start the Nair just before you hit the ground, you get the lag from boucing..hence, not an autocanceled move.
The short hop Bair you will always get lag because the move is longer than the Dair or at least its longer than the time it takes you to land from a shorthop. Sprawling on the floor means, No autocancel
Uair does finish before you land but if you start it before you land, you will get lag. Im still not sure about this move because I forget what it looks like when you land.
Fair, you already said its not autocanceled so were good.
I need to play with pika for a minute to see the Uair and Fair for myself. But I know there is a list of autocanceled moves for each character somewhere. I believe pikas Uair is the only one.
Here is a test. Pick ROB, Do a Nair before you hit the ground while holding shield the whole time and notice how fast the shield pops up. Now do the same with Pikas move and you will find that the Fair, Nair, Dair, and Bair dont behave like this. ROBs nair is an Autocanceled move
That paragraph in specific, but even the entire post was there to explain the differences. Why was their a need to explain? People were confused.

Ok thanks. What is it called when the animation ends before you land? I used to call that auto-canceling (I thought it was a misnomer or something), but apparently I'm wrong. Is there a term for finishing the aerial before you land?
K 2 asked an honest question. He told us how the MISUNDERSTOOD auto-canceling with an aerial that ends in the air.

That's just a short attack.
ESAM decided to answer, and his answer was short attack. Now, if you tell someone to do a short attack, is it possible for that person to confuse it with auto-canceling or something else?

That's.... no offense, kind of stupid IMO. I think there SHOULD be a term for making sure the attack animation finishes in midair during a jump. Pikachu can do it will all of his aerials, however, they have different methods as pointed out earlier.

I mean, are we going to call short-hopped Fair approaches "Shorting" or something? I think we need an "-ing" term to describe such tactics some way or another...
Muhznit found that answer to be inadequate. And here HE WAS THE FIRST TO SUGGEST A TERM.

uair doesn't auto cancel, by the term we are using. "finishing a move before landing" is too long to type everytime you try to describe a combo or something. "finishing a move before landing" can refer to jumping and doing an aerial so you have do lag, or it can refer to doing an aerial when you are extremely high up so that you finish the move when you land. I think we should make up a word or phrase to describe SH or FH an aerial so that it has no lag.
Here K 2 was the SECOND TO SUGGEST A TERM. Note I didn't post anything until later, which I was trying to help come up with a phrase, but I ended up liking Muhznit's better.

Muhznit said:
Whatever the **** it is, let's follow what K2 said and come up with a term for finishing a "move before landing." This is getting nowhere at 80 mph.
For some strange reason, here, Muhznit gives the credit to K 2.

K 2 said:
Let's make up a shortcut name for it. I don't want to have to type "finishing the move before you land" as opposed to a word oe two everytime I want to describe something. Any ideas?
Here K 2 says it one more time, and the actual name making process begins here.
Later on Muhznit posts this.

Muhznit said:
HMMM....

If anything, Zylar is the one that suggested I get a list of moves for this. Then again, he only had 58 posts at the time of asking, so I guess he may have not known the right term.

But what the hell is the right term, then? If there's a term for flailing a crow tied to a bar around your head, are we going to call it crowbarring? What happened to the days of Melee when things actually were pretty **** simple; Shffl: Short-Hopped Fast Falled L-Canceled ring a bell anyone?
I am quite surprised that I'm SUPPOSEDLY the one that suggested using a shortcut name, and that JUST BECAUSE I have a low amount of posts it is assumed I don't know the right terms for things. I'm a little offended by that last part, but I don't really care. I just really don't want people to assume this was all MY fault. BTW Muhznit no hard feelings whatsoever, just wanted to correct you.

As SilverSpark (The maker of this thread that is SUPPOSED to be on tricks for pika) said it :

SilverSpark said:
You guys are taking taking this way too seriously :\
The last BTW...

ESAM said:
ESAM how can you say that this has been simple? How can you say that now, when there is a need for a distinction between auto-canceling and finishing an aerial in the air, that it is simple? We don't need simplifying? Are you serious? That was some of the most complicated and frustrating posts to describe that one simple thing. Obviously complicated is simple enough. Maybe for some, but what about anyone else that WOULD get confused between the distinction? THAT is why there is a NEED for such a term.

There, I rest my case. Now it is the prosecutor's turn to state his case to the jury. (LOL)

Edit : ROFL at the frustated monkey, pokemon trainer, and the earth kingdom king.

K 2

Smash Lord
Hey Silverspark, good job on this list of techniques. I find it very useful and informative. I never knew pika had over 22 character specific tricks. Keep it up!

Van Jones

Smash Lord
While most of the techs on this list are viable, a few of them are relatively impractical. I'm on campus right now, so I'll do a break down later. Silverspark, great job with this list.

Also, I haven't been following the chat on this thread very much, but I hope y'all aren't still trying to give names to moves that don't need names. If there is a 0 lag variant of a move, then the move should be named "0 lag whatever." (ex: Wolf's fair vs his 0 lag fair) The same goes with moves that are auto canceled. However, Pikachu has no auto canceled moves. Giving names to things that don't need naming is kind of dumb.

Muhznit

Smash Journeyman
While most of the techs on this list are viable, a few of them are relatively impractical. I'm on campus right now, so I'll do a break down later. Silverspark, great job with this list.

Also, I haven't been following the chat on this thread very much, but I hope y'all aren't still trying to give names to moves that don't need names. If there is a 0 lag variant of a move, then the move should be named "0 lag whatever." (ex: Wolf's fair vs his 0 lag fair) The same goes with moves that are auto canceled. However, Pikachu has no auto canceled moves. Giving names to things that don't need naming is kind of dumb.
Stop. Right now. Shaddup. Seriously. Don't even THINK about opening that can of worms. è_Ó

Zylar

Smash Ace
Okay, say a complete noob to ALL terms used for Meele and Brawl heard "Do pika's 0 lag dair"

Is there a possibility that he should get confused as to what to do. That phrase doesn't help anyone know HOW to do it. However II (Instant Inputing) does.

Also, I don't know if you've read every word in every thread, but if you haven't please do so, and then you have a right to your opinion if we need to name it something. (Even if it isn't II)

BTW I was once that noob about only one month ago. But within the first week I understood every term, because I sought them out wrote them down and looked for their definitions (Here or on SmashWikil) and saved them on my computer. Eventually I have them in my brain by memory. Some names were acronyms, which helped a lot, some were words, which were harder but I got the hang of it. And as I've seen some development of new AT, techniques, moves, and just plain tricks, names were being created rapidly. There was no argument against those new names. But I understand that as we try to name something that isn't new, people think there is no need to name it. However, before when I was a noob, there WAS no phrasefor ANYTHING. So when we did something awsome (Accidental general or character specific ATs) we paused laughed, the person who didn't do it asked how it was done, but the person couldn't tell him because there was no phrasefor anything (Acronyms or names.)

But for the sake of this thread lets talk about pika's tricks.

Has anyone mastered the pika scaring yet???

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
I honestly can't tell if you're being stupid, or just trying to spite me. Seriously, this thing's gone off-topic enough.

Apparently you can't GET THE MESSAGE that we need simple yet descriptive terms, and I am getting a cerebreal tumor from this. -_-

Adding you to ignore list nao. kthnxdie.
I'm just trying to get my point across that there IS NO POINT in creating this term...Okay...please...c'mon now. As said in your thread that got closed, all it is is an aerial with attack frames less than those occupied in a SH (or FH in some cases). Basic knowledge of the characters should lead you to which ones are able to do this. II is a useless term because, yes, it SLIGHTLY simplifies things, but there is NO POINT in simplifying an already simple action...We certainly DO NOT need a simple yet descriptive term, because IT IS ALREADY SIMPLE ENOUGH.

Also, don't tell me to die, because i am still a bigger contributor to the pika boards then you are and probably ever will be. Your mom can get breast cancer and die for all i care now.

Van Jones

Smash Lord
Stop. Right now. Shaddup. Seriously. Don't even THINK about opening that can of worms. è_Ó
Yeah. You aren't going to tell me to shut up. Stealth, if y u have to report me to end this, go ahead. I'm just going to continue to point out stupid things as I see them.

K 2

Smash Lord
Guys, we have gone horrendously off topic (as stated before). Let's just discuss pika techs/tricks in this thread. Drop this discussion (myself included) about II/AC/whatever. I'm exhauasted from arguing, and neither side has progessed an inch.

Zylar

Smash Ace
LOL silverspark I wouldn't of said that if I were you. It's like your giving permission for this to continue, and the on topic stuff to go on at the same time.

BTW, I'm all for ending this debate. Truce ESAM.

Can someone explain to me how to do double, triple, or quadruple thunder? ^^

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
LOL silverspark I wouldn't of said that if I were you. It's like your giving permission for this to continue, and the on topic stuff to go on at the same time.

BTW, I'm all for ending this debate. Truce ESAM.

Can someone explain to me how to do double, triple, or quadruple thunder? ^^
By thundering twice, three times, or four times! For srsly now. Quadruple thunder is when you d-tilt, jump thunder twice, DJ, and thunder 2 more times. Double thunder is kinda simple, just drop off the ledge, jump, and thunder twice. You can do triple thunder the same way as quad, just don't do the last one

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Good additions, Spark. :)
The Neutral-B reversal is definitely useful for a surprise hit, which can lead to a possible u-smash or grab.

Then the tips on how to beat MK's tornado are a good read for any Pikachu user. Next time a MK uses his tornado on me I'll use the reverse thunder technique.

K 2

Smash Lord
What about foxtrotting? It's a universal technique that all the characters use. It's fairly simple and has some practical uses. You could foxtrot -> dashdance (mindgame potential?) -> Shutter Step Fsmash. Mix that up with crawling, walking, regular dashing, and QACing, you've got your self a plethora of options to move about and to attack.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
The pivot wave grab is an AT I practiced in Training a long while back. I decided not to use it in my gameplay because it's just so darn punishable in most situations. It's eye candy, but only useful if your opponent is experiencing ground lag for some reason. Maybe t-jolt -> PWG would work well? I'll have to try it.

K 2

Smash Lord
foxtrotting - that's why I added the link to general techniques near the top of the thread

I really just want techniques specific to pikachu.
My bad. I didn't see that link when I made the post about foxtrotting. (or did you post the link afterwards?). With 27 techniques for pika, how many more can there be?

brod1986

Smash Apprentice
Im looking to advance as a picachu player and Im finding this thread really usefull, would someone sugest a few good combo's and how do you execue pica's chain grab?

K 2

Smash Lord
There are some basic combos at this thread. Most combo's involve utilt and uair, since there knockback/endlag is relatively low. This thread includeds the chaingrab list.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=170170.

Here's a more in depth thread about combos.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=196602

To practice chaingrabs, go to training mode on FD and pick a chaingrabbable character (Fox works well). Dthrow seems to be easier, so start out with that. Grab fox, dthrow, regrab fox, repeat. Once you throw him, wait till fox almost lands, then regrab. If you mash grab as soon as you throw him, fox will break out of the CG. CG just takes timing and practice. It's VITAL to learn who you can chaingrab and to what percent. Starting every stock with 60-80% gives you a tremendous advantage.

Piman34

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3454-0406-0497
how does anti mk moves apply to techniques for pika? idk seems kinda like one of us is not like the other

Top Bottom