• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

12/5/08 Lexington, Kentucky Brawl Bash!

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Results:

Placings:
1: Overswarm (Metaknight)
2: Tactical (Lucario)
3: Equi (Wolf)
4: Greg Chandler/Delvro (Luigi)
5: Lucky (Ike)
5: Xisin (Marth)
7: Les Herbst (Meta Knight)
7: Judo (Shiek)
9: David Perry
9: Ray R.
9: Casey C.
9: Andy Baker
13: Andre
13: Mayling Yap
13: Hilt
13: Clay Willett
17: Chris Ratliff
17: Cameron H.
17: Neil Dutta
17: PhilipNeeley
17: BBQ
17: Pengiun
17: Jonathon R
17: Calic
25: Chrissy N
25: X
25: Ian Applegate
25: Al Bundy
25: Jinx
25: Charles Yap
25: KFChris
25: Eric Riddle
33: Ramrod
33: Michel B.
33: Shannon May
33: Eric Reid
33: Burke
33: Sam *****
33: CaseyStidham
33: Brandon Larry
33: Seth Coomer
33: Silver
33: Ben Dean
33: Pawmd
33: Greg Shardon
33: Michael Lee
33: Gilbert
33: John Hays
49: Knuckles
49: Matt Chick
49: Hero
49: Rusty
49: Justin Yap
49: Craig Vaughn
49: Ace .J.T

Congrats guys!

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Greetings fellow Smashers.
With a belly full of turkey and an appetite for smashing, I hope you all can make it out to the University of Kentucky's SSBB 1v1 tournament hosted by the Miskatonic Student Union (www.ukmsu.org). This is the 5th smash tournament sponsored by the group and the last tournament resulted in a whopping 78 people just a month ago.

The location will be as last time, at the Student Center in room 206 on UK's campus. If you need help with directions, or have any other questions, you may contact me here, e-mail, or cell (I'll provide info at the bottom).

The tournament will be Dbl. Elim. -- single matches. Depending on how fast we are progessing, there will be best 2/3 towards the finals. We would like to do both 2/3 and D/E but due to time constraints, we can't =[. Sorry.

56+ people will result in 3 stock -- 8 min timer.
Below will result in 4 stock -- 10 min timer.

Stages will be chosen at random by the paired opponents. Even if some matches go to 2/3, it will still be random. No counterpicking this time, sorry.

The randomized stages are:
Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island
Delfino
Halberd
Lylat Cruise
Pokémon Stadium 1

Some additional rules:
-BYOC
-Stalling is banned.
-Metaknight's infinite cape is banned.
-If the game ends by Bowser's suicide claw and results in a Sudden Death, it will be ignored and Bowser will be the winner.
-Heckling will NOT be tolerated. If any rude remarks, or public announcements of "I hope you lose" are heard, then you will receive a warning. After one warning, if you persist, you will be disqualified. Let's keep the environment fun and friendly! ^_^

COST is $5
Doors will open at 4
Registration begins at 4:30 and will end at 4:45
Tournament will begin promptly at 5:00.

Prize distribution:
1st 30% + a guaranteed $50 from pot.
2nd 15%
3rd 5%

If you're interested in bringing a Wii and/or TV, that would be greatly appreciated. Just give me the heads up if you plan to do so.
I am aiming for at least 6 full setups.

Wii List (7 + ?)
Mister Eric (1)
Mayling/Delvro (1)
Bobbu (1)
Ian (1)
Brandon (1)
Hilt (2)
Chris (?)

TV List (5 + ?)
Student Center (3)
Mister Eric (2)
Hilt (?)
Brandon (?)

Projector List (1)
Student Center (1)

You can contact me at:
theshack123@hotmail.com
606-434-9996

I hope you all can come out and have a Merry Smashness with us =]

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
if enough extra setups were brought do you think more matches could be done in 2 of 3? A group from louisville will be comming, so bringing extra wii's shouldnt be a problem for us at all. We also should be able to bring a couple TV's as well.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Oo, that would be awesome, Hilt. It will still depend on the result of people. I tried to reserve a room for Sat. so that we could have a 2/3 tourney, but it didn't work out. But I'm sure the extra supplies would help out tremendously. Just let me know what to expect ^_^
I still wouldnt bank on the first couple of rounds being 2/3. not this time =/ But I's will do's the best I's can!

Mayling

BRoomer
BRoomer
Next time I'd definitely like to get a Saturday tourney and do 2/3.

I'd also like to get room 230. :p Sit-in protest!

King of Hoboz

Smash Journeyman
Next time I'd definitely like to get a Saturday tourney and do 2/3.

I'd also like to get room 230. :p Sit-in protest!
S2D took Saturday with their Championship in Louisville. Which sucks cause I can't do both..I'll probably be only at S2D, never been to a UK smash..but ya know...sucks to be at Eastern at a time like this.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
S2D took Saturday with their Championship in Louisville. Which sucks cause I can't do both..I'll probably be only at S2D, never been to a UK smash..but ya know...sucks to be at Eastern at a time like this.
This is Friday though, you sure you can't make it out? It's loads of fun ^_^

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Where'd the other 50% of the pot go? O_o

50% goes to supporting the club. We're working on pulling in some cash sponsers if possible. It doesn't look likely before the next tourney. 1st place last time received over $100 so it wasn't too bad of prize distribution. We may distribute more or less this time. I'm still undecided about it because I don't want disappoint anyone coming from out of town just for a poor pot. So it's open for change. We'll see....

You thinking about venturing out, OS?

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
I'll try : P

Me and my Hobo Kirby will see to getting a ride if my mom doesn't give it.

sweeet. it seems we have a couple of Louisville smashers venturing to Lex as well. Perhaps if you knew any, you could car pool =P

Hope to see you there!

Overswarm

is laughing at you
50% goes to supporting the club. We're working on pulling in some cash sponsers if possible. It doesn't look likely before the next tourney. 1st place last time received over $100 so it wasn't too bad of prize distribution. We may distribute more or less this time. I'm still undecided about it because I don't want disappoint anyone coming from out of town just for a poor pot. So it's open for change. We'll see....

You thinking about venturing out, OS?
I was thinking about going down with Cincinnati, we have a pretty good crew... but 50% missing and only about $100 for first with 70 people... and best of one...

All pretty crazy. It doesnt' really affect me much in the sense that I could probably go down there and win without a problem, but for people that are going there with a lot of competition a best of one is scary. But hey, if you don't have the time, ya gotta do what you gotta do.

If you want OOS players or non-lexington at least to show up, I suggest making a minimum $ prize for first place. So if you say "$50 guaranteed for first, plus door", you could make it like:

1rst: $50 + 30%
2nd: 15%
3rd: 5%

So that way if there was $150 in the pot, you'd take out $50 first to give to first place, leaving $100 to split 30/15/5... so 1rst would get $80. That's with 30 people showing up, which isn't bad at all. It helps make traveling worth it if there is a low turnout, but doesn't really put a dent in your earnings if you get a big turnout. $50 is nothing if you get 70 people paying $5!

Also, why starting so late? If you were able to start it earlier, you'd have plenty of time for 2/3. I'm sure cincinnati would be able to help you guys out with running it to make sure it went smoothly if we head down there. We might hit that tournament and then go to Louisville.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
I was thinking about going down with Cincinnati, we have a pretty good crew... but 50% missing and only about $100 for first with 70 people... and best of one...

All pretty crazy. It doesnt' really affect me much in the sense that I could probably go down there and win without a problem, but for people that are going there with a lot of competition a best of one is scary. But hey, if you don't have the time, ya gotta do what you gotta do.

If you want OOS players or non-lexington at least to show up, I suggest making a minimum $ prize for first place. So if you say "$50 guaranteed for first, plus door", you could make it like:

1rst: $50 + 30%
2nd: 15%
3rd: 5%

So that way if there was $150 in the pot, you'd take out $50 first to give to first place, leaving $100 to split 30/15/5... so 1rst would get $80. That's with 30 people showing up, which isn't bad at all. It helps make traveling worth it if there is a low turnout, but doesn't really put a dent in your earnings if you get a big turnout. $50 is nothing if you get 70 people paying $5!

Also, why starting so late? If you were able to start it earlier, you'd have plenty of time for 2/3. I'm sure cincinnati would be able to help you guys out with running it to make sure it went smoothly if we head down there. We might hit that tournament and then go to Louisville.

Funny, that I just sent you a pm. Just ignore it ^_^
Anywho, I was desperate to find a room on campus to host one last tourney before the semester closes, and this was the best day/time to do it =/ Next year, it will be on Saturdays if we can help it. Thanks for the insight on the prize distribution. I'm quite new to the smash scene, but very interested. So, I'm still catching on to how things should be ran...or even how to pwn with R.O.B. :) I heard you took the crown at Oneness with MK. I actually hope to see your R.O.B. in action. We didn't have too many MKs at the last tourney out of 78 ppl. In fact, the final 2 was a Lucario and Peach; that was pleasant to see.

After Dec. 5th, the tourneys I run from here on out will be 2/3 with better planned prize distribution.

Thanks again for the insight, and I hope you can make it out!

p.s. any help, like you offered, will be greatly appreciated

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
yeah... no one talks about the random guy that got second place at oneness.... lol jk

Perhaps Lexington and Louisville should start getting together for more tournaments. It's not like we're TOO far from each other... and yeah, hoboz, you can just ride with us. you need to go. There were like 123041374070 other kirbys there last time. And yeah, the meta's at that last UK tournament...werent that great >.> but they all ended up facing each other lol.

And the stage rule, where there's one stage played by everyone in the entire round...it'd be much better to just make each match be a random stage from the list. Different characters can get distinct advantages on different stages. Like...if I know FD's been picked, i'll just pick Diddy for that round, and know i should have a pretty easy time lol. But if you do keep the rule the same, i'd recommend it only be neutral stages.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Something most tournament do nowadays is called teh "stage strike" system. You basically lower your stage choices down one by one until you have one left.

If we had 5 neutrals, I'd get rid of battlefield, hilt gets rid of FD, I get rid of PS1, he gets rid of Lylat, Smashville is the only one left so that's all we use.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
yeah... no one talks about the random guy that got second place at oneness.... lol jk

Were you the Olimar, Hilt ? ^_^
I just wish I could have came.
I got to see the final match, lol. I knew it was OS' MK and someone's Olimar. It was recorded on my friend's Wii, lol.

As for stages, yeah, I get your point. It could lead to some unfair character preparations.

Though, OS, I'm a bigger fan of having a variety of stages, so I just went with Starters & Counter/Starters trying to make it as fair as I can with a pretty well amount of stages.

Or maybe I'm misunderstanding you, OS.
Are you saying that this process of elimination is for each around between each paired opponents, OR are you saying this is for the entire tournament like I'm probably misinterpretating it as?

Edit: Nevermind. I misread before I replied. Good idea though.

I'm beginning to side more with the randomizing event after chars are selected. I may very edit this rule. Thanks for the advice; the both of you!

P.S., Hilt, if you do consider adventuring to the Morehead tourney, though it's late, I could spot you a ride from Lexington if you decide to go. I have 2 people coming with me already. Their tournies are okie. Same goes to you OS as well =P

Overswarm

is laughing at you
tis on a wednesday, so I can't go.

I think this may be a double tournament weekend for cincinnati. We're gonna rock 'em both.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
tis on a wednesday, so I can't go.

I think this may be a double tournament weekend for cincinnati. We're gonna rock 'em both.
Not if I have anything to du about it! ;)
You going try to rock with R.O.B. or meta? (ROB ! ROB ! ROB !)

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
I should be there. If the turnout's smaller, would you agree to 2/3? Like say, 50- people or so?
well, we have 5 hrs to do this.
so depending on the # of tvs we bring in...
there WILL eventually be 2/3...just further into the bracket regardless.

Hope you can make it out ! ^_^

Xisin

Smash Ace
NNID
Xisin14
I'd be willing to go to this if i could carpool with someone, but odds are i won't be able to.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
I'd be willing to go to this if i could carpool with someone, but odds are i won't be able to.
Actually Xisin, I can arrange this. I know a crew that would prob be willing to come from MSU. They just need a driver. Do you know Shannon May? Andy Baker? Jonathon Meadows? Just throwing out some names...

--pm me or something.

Delvro

Smash Ace
Geez, Me and Mayling have been running tournaments for 2+ years... I wish I knew about this out-of-town crowd earlier!

Eric, we'll work on trying to get you some sponsors so that we can bump up the prize support a little. And NO METAKNIGHT!!!! Screw the SBR's decision, I'm freaking banning metaknight in february >____< Oh I know they say that it's up to the TO, but...

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Geez, Me and Mayling have been running tournaments for 2+ years... I wish I knew about this out-of-town crowd earlier!

Eric, we'll work on trying to get you some sponsors so that we can bump up the prize support a little. And NO METAKNIGHT!!!! Screw the SBR's decision, I'm freaking banning metaknight in february >____< Oh I know they say that it's up to the TO, but...
Thanks for all the support, Greggu! =D

I'm still neutral on the MK ban. I'm going to give a chance to spread his wings one last time before you give him the boot ^_^. Since we mostly had mediocre MK users at the last..nothing that stood out.

OS, you still haven't given me a long-awaited response as to if you will bring your robotic roboticness to the playing field. I've waited a while to see him in action. I just didn't know if you were off the MK kick or not.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
he's gonna main mk... it's pretty obvious.

unless there's a mk ban at this tournament (which I would obviously support.) os will surely use mk to win the majority of his matches.

unless you just feel like being nice at this one overswarm ^.^

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
he's gonna main mk... it's pretty obvious.

unless there's a mk ban at this tournament (which I would obviously support.) os will surely use mk to win the majority of his matches.

unless you just feel like being nice at this one overswarm ^.^
Whichever is fine.
I just feel that banning MK now would be unfair to people already expecting to play him when they go.
...Erm, tough decision. I'll have to sleep on it.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
chances are that os is just gonna come there and annihilate, and if he were to do this.... many people would then understand fully why mk should be banned, and you will probably end up banning him sooner or later because of this.

and seeing as how there were only three or four meta knights there, it's not like many people would get mad. if any at all.

and it's like os is gonna care

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
It's hard for me to imagine banning a character.
Though I understand the reasons why he's up on the chopping block.
And there really isn't much room for any AT discovery to counter him with.
But, what would Kirby do without a fun 'rival'?
Think of the Kirby...

Delvro

Smash Ace
Go ahead and keep him for this tournament if you want... then people will see a nationally recognized MK player win and won't feel bad anymore about banning him.

except for the... like... 2 people still maining him. Jay mained MK at the last tourney and made it pretty far, but he's changing to snake/diddy.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Go ahead and keep him for this tournament if you want... then people will see a nationally recognized MK player win and won't feel bad anymore about banning him.

except for the... like... 2 people still maining him. Jay mained MK at the last tourney and made it pretty far, but he's changing to snake/diddy.

I'll have my decision in the morning.
Well...the morning with sunlight involved. XD

Anywho...the flyer is ALIVE!

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Banning a character a week before a tournament is jsut bad form; just leave him in for this one, ban him at the next one if you feel you should.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Looks like I may be able, but srly, was there really a lot of Kirbys last time >.> I don't want to be one of many..makes me >:# face
Nah there wasn't many...and maybe one or two good ones.
We seem to see a lot of varied character play.
You'll be safe ;)
[Unless you don't bring friends] :p

LinuXY

Smash Rookie
Banning a character a week before a tournament is jsut bad form; just leave him in for this one, ban him at the next one if you feel you should.
And why is this bad form? I call shenanigans... the quoted above /is/ bad form.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
And why is this bad form? I call shenanigans... the quoted above /is/ bad form.
Because if someone mains Meta and they're like "I'm going to practice, I have a tournament next week!" and has a smashfest where they practice nothing but their main, Meta, and then Meta is banned a week before the tournament.... they are unable to practice with a character they could use.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Just a few more days ^_^
Would you guys prefer to have one projector going or just all TVs?
Also, we now have a bank sponsoring us -- how cool is that? :p

--woops. unofficial

Overswarm

is laughing at you
All TVs is generally better. Projectors sometimes lag and often are more difficult to play on. If you want a "cool factor" though, set one up and leave it for friendlies!

I am definitely coming to this though. :D

King of Hoboz

Smash Journeyman
>.> Hilt and the others decided to show up early and leave me out at my school alone...in the dark ;-;

If anyone here can get me a ride (Mom doesn't like traveling far...I mean anywhere out of Middletown, and my Dad is lazy) would love it.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
>.> Hilt and the others decided to show up early and leave me out at my school alone...in the dark ;-;

If anyone here can get me a ride (Mom doesn't like traveling far...I mean anywhere out of Middletown, and my Dad is lazy) would love it.

Hilt! Give that boy a ride!

Top Bottom