• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

2/24 NSU Davie/Ft. Lauderdale, FL Tournament

Honors

Smash Journeyman
AVACS (Association of Video Games, Anime, Comic Books, and Sci-fi) and SUB (Student Union Board) Presents:

NSU SSBM Tournament

Place: Old Flight Deck (2nd Floor Rosenthal Building)
Time: 1-8 pm (12-1 set-up, 1-3 warm up, 3 to whenever for tournament) Free play afterward till 8 if time left, then clean up.
Date:: February 24, 2007 (a Saturday)

Directions and Parking

Address:
Preferably

3301 College Ave
Davie, FL 33314-7721 (for free parking and its closer)

If you find or know how to get to the Library it is 1 dollar per hour

You get there by turning on 30th AVE if on University Drive

or by turning at Abe Fishchler AVE (30 st., which is a continuation from 30th AVE at University drive) at College AVE.

Other helpful things:

It is nearby BCC Central Campus and Nova High School

Here are the URL to getting to the university in general

http://www.nova.edu/cwis/campusmaps/maincampus.html

Here is the campus map

The building with the number 23 is the University Center in the map, the mailman Hollywood building is number 4 on the map and the Rosenthal is number 6 on the map. All are located in the lower half of the map and the free parking is at the East Main Entrance.

http://www.nova.edu/cwis/campusmaps/forms/campusmap.pdf

This is a much more simpler version of the map shown below.

The protrusion at abe fischler blvd (30 st), at the top portion of the map, that goes into the campus but looks like it went into nowhere is where the library is at. And the East Main Entrance that leads to the Free parking is on this map also.

http://www.nova.edu/facilities/shuttle.html

Here is how it looks like: (This is the back of the Library if your parking there)
http://www.browardlibrary.org/branches/nv.htm

This is the front of the University Center (the big long building with the Rosenthal building (the small building in front if your parking there.)
http://www.nova.edu/facilities/construction/UniversityCenter/Photos/0092.html
__________________________________________________ __________

Admission Fee
Singles $15 (1/3 taken from pot) 18 and over only (E-Board Vote)
Singles: 70/20/10 (will be given as gift cards of your choice)

Under 18 only: parental consent form and $5 (Goes to AVACS and SUB)
Cannot enter tournament, but do smashfest.

Food:

Pizza and Sodas

Rosenthal Cafeteria & Snack Store in 1st Floor Rosenthal Building
Snack Area at the New Flight Deck in the University Center

Tournament Rules

•Double Elimination (Placings Decided randomly by picking the labeled ball out of a bag)

•All matches 2/3, with loser’s, winner’s, and grand finals 3/5.

•4 stock, 8 minute limit

•Ties broken by a match on the same stage, same characters with one stock.

•Items OFF

•Dave's Stupid Rule (DSR): No stage may be used twice in a single match, either by random select or by picking

•Stage Knockout: Each person knocks out one stage for entire set. This stage must be selected at the beginning of the match, after initial characters have been chosen.

•Advanced Slob Picks - Loser may choose the next stage or elect to go random, then winner may choose to change characters, then loser may change characters

•Double Blind pick may be called at any time

•1v1 Neutral stages: Final Destination, Yoshi's Story, Kirby 64, Pokemon Stadium

•1v1 Stages banned: Hyrule Temple, Fourside, Flatzone, Brinstar Depths, Brinstar, Icicle Mountain, Yoshi's Island 64, Big Blue, Green Greens, Mushroom Kingdom 1-2, Termina bay (Great bay), Jungle Japes, Yoshi’s Island, Onett, and Venom

1v1 Counterpicks: Fountain of Dreams, PokeFloats, Rainbow Cruise, Kongo Jungle 64, Corneria, Kongo Jungle, Mute City, BattleField, Princess Peach Castle

-- Controller mods of ANY kind (short-hop mod, L-trigger mod, etc), except for cosmetic changes (paint job, different colored plastic), are banned. If you are caught using a banned controller you will be disqualified from the tournament.

-- Turbo or programmed buttons of any kind are banned. You may use third party controllers or pads that have these features, but if you are suspected of using the banned features you will not be allowed to use that controller any longer.

--Glitches used to stop your opponent from controlling their character or indefinitely freezing them (Mewtwo's Soul Stunner, the Ice Climber freeze glitch), or any glitch or trick that freezes the match or makes it in any way unfinishable are banned. Using them will result in the immediate forfeit of the match.

-- Tactics such as Peach's Wallbombing and Jiggly's Rising Pound are allowed as methods of recovery or to maneuver around the stage. Using them (or any similar tactics) to excessively stall a match, such as dropping below levels intentionally and stalling underneath, is banned.

--You are responsible to BRING YOUR OWN CONTROLLER.

Attendence:

Honors (NSU)
Keyrruh (WD4D)
William (NSU)
Olivar (NSU)
Advent
Nicholas
Jit
Fred (NSU)
Juan(NSU)
Andres
Anand (NSU)
XIF
Green Mario
Riot
Exorcist
Wizard
Nate Ju 1727
Doodah
1-up
Arpit (NSU)
Carlos (NSU)
Juan's Brother
KD Rio

Attendence (Less than 18 years old)

Linguini
Blitzshift
Foom
Mcscruff
Skel
Devon
Dial

Maybe:

Forsworn
Andreez
Mike (NSU)
Sachin (NSU) and friends
Alberto/El Zorro Friend of Jit
Daniel Friend of Jit
Cesar (Friend of Rexx)
Stubbs (NSU)
5 friends of Linett and brother
Mike(NSU)
Sighrax
Hell
Sin
C.S.
Zero
DogySamich
Rexx
Llama

If you can, please bring tvs and cubes with a copy of smash and a memory card

TVs

1. AVACS
2. AVACS
3. SUB
4. SUB
5. Old Flight Deck
6. Old Flight Deck
7. Old Flight Deck
8. Old Flight Deck
9. Old Flight Deck
10. Media Services
11. Media Services

(One hanging tv requires a coaxial cable)

Cubes & Smash

1. University
2. Mine (for smashfest)
3. Forsworn (maybe)
4. William
5. Advent
6. Linett (needs smash and Memory card)
7. KD Rio
8. Linguini (for smashfest)
9. Foom (for smashfest)

Additional Information

NSU students, staff doesn’t have to pay as long as they show a valid NSU ID.
12 boxes of pizza will be ordered and 30 cans of soda will be provided for free. Will most likely be brought in the middle of the tournament. There is also the Rosenthal cafeteria, snack store, and New Flight Deck snack store at a cost if it runs out.

Contact For any questions or concerns:

Honors1110

My Cell:
(954) 235-3967

Let me know if you could come and enjoy the tournament when your there!

Also, if you know anyone interested in Halo 2 (On Jan 29), DDR (March 24), and Tekken 5 (April 14), and would like to participate and help out in bringing the games, memory cards and/or systems, let them know. We're also making a tournament for those games also.

Club Website

www.nova.edu/avacs

Update!!! 2/17/07

e-mailed me at dcevallo@nova.edu preferably if the consent form doesn't print right so I could send you an attached e-mail.
You could pm this info.

Update!!! 2/22/07

I put the consent forms for those under age of 18 on the AVACS website.

I sent the request and it was voted in favor to allow minors to come in to the event, but not enter the tournament for $5. So it will be a smashfest for those of you that'll come. Let me know if the form prints out correctly from online. You could also receive it by e-mailing me and I'll e-mail you the form attached with the e-mail.

Honors

Smash Journeyman
I added you linguini. Let me know and questions, concern, and/or suggestions for the tournament if you have any.

Also, one of the SGA spoke with me saying the the 2 tvs that we got are from SUB, which may make it to 3 tvs + the 4 hanging tvs and one in the conference room.

I will clarify it, and if that is the case, I could call media services to see if they could provide us with tvs if needed. Plus, if I know people are coming with cubes and tvs, then I would know what needs to be done in terms of set up.

Honors

Smash Journeyman
That sucks Delslayer, but enjoy your birthday.

Linguini, could you tell me the names of the people that are coming with you?

Honors

Smash Journeyman
Not for this tournament. Definitely in the future. I want to get an idea about the length of the tournament for singles.

Just letting you all know that the link to the photo of the University Center with the Rosenthal building is up.

Andreez

Smash Rookie
Hey Honors. I'm 100% new to this site but would really like to get involved. I'm really interested in this tourney but can say I'm more interested in any tourneys for 64 . If you know of any or know where to find them please let me know. I will definately try to attend to check things out and see how things are run to maybe enter the next one. How often are tournaments held in the miami/ft. lauderdale area?

Honors

Smash Journeyman
Sure, you could definitely come. Just being there won't get you charged. Free play will be before and after the tournament. Now if you enter the tournament, that is when you get charged.

The tournaments are frequent around this area. There is at least one tournament a month, and its not uncommon to see 2 or even 3 on the same month.

As for 64 tournaments, they are rare. I know one person who hosts it once every school year and its, which is 5 min away from the University I go to. I spoke to him recently, and if your interested, I'll look for up the info of the High School he goes to. I believe his event is the thursday before mines. I'll speak with too to let him know that your interested.

I know that some people do 64 tournaments as a side event sometimes, and I know that people use certain equipment (forgot the name) to play online with other people across the nation.

Here is the discussion area for Smash 64. There you could ask how to get the necessary equipment to play online.

http://www.smashboards.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=11

Here is the link to the Florida Thread. If you haven't seen it, definitely check it out. It contains archives of past tournaments, floridas history, florida's videos, an area to see how many smashers in your area, and upcoming tournaments.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=70386

Andreez

Smash Rookie
That sounds great I really appreciate your help. I am definately more of a 64 player and can safely say I am by far the best from everyone I have ever played. I want to see how I am among others. My skills in Melee are pretty much all from my knowledge in the 64 thats y although interested in Melee tourneys, I am more excited about the others... especially if you said there is one coming up. I am quickly learning that you can set up clans? I can definately create my own amazing team but I just want to know more dates! Please keep my posted!, and feel free to email me, I check it often. Thnx

Honors

Smash Journeyman
Andreez:

I was told by Git (The host for the school) that there will be 64 if someones bring a n64 at his event, so it is uncertain. Also, the school is called Mcfatter High School. Most likely he'll post when the event gets closer.

Andreez

Smash Rookie
Is "Git" his username so i can get in contact w/ him? Cuz I won't mind bringing mine... and when exactly is it?

Honors

Smash Journeyman
His username on smashboards is "Jit" and his event is 2 days before mines on thursday as of now, which he is still planning.

Honors

Smash Journeyman
There will be a 2 hr warm up period. The tournament will start at 3pm, and we'll be there at 12 for set up. Depending on the length of the tournament will also decide free play afterwards. I'll update the schedule.

You coming also? Let me know.

Jit

Smash Journeyman
I'll be sure to go.
The host of this is Lighted_Warrior's brother in case anyone remembers him... then again he went off to college in Tampa 2 years ago, but he played at that OutLan tourney.

Honors

Smash Journeyman
Update! 2/9/07

Tournament will be in the Old Flight Deck

So we have 5 hanging tvs. 2 of ours, and 3 from SUB making it 10.

We have 4 guaranteed GC with Smash. So bring a GC, Smash, and memory card if you can to provide a smoother run tournament.

12 pm is set up

1-3 pm is warm up

3 pm to whenever is tournament

8pm ending of tournament

I was just told that I cannot give out cash prizes. However, the money split between 1st, 2nd, and 3rd would be given as the gift card of your choice and sent to you by mail (same amount as if given from cash prize).

Honors

Smash Journeyman
We're not going to have teams. We're going to make this tourny simple and build from there in adding more in the future.

I doubt we're going to take the whole 3-8 pm section, since the last time I hosted we had double elim with 24 people and only took less than three hours.

We (as in Smashboards and participants) could decide a possible side event after the tournament if there is time instead of free play.

Let me know if your coming and if your bringing a cube or anything,

Honors

Smash Journeyman
Unfortunately handing out cash prizes would be considered "gambling" according to University and SGA policies.

And since they know that we are charging people outside of NSU, they'll be expecting us to hand them the money so that they could purchase the gift cards and mail it to the winners.

I'll speak with them and see what I can do, but I can't guarantee that they'll change it. So it will stay as that for now.

Found the policy to confirm it.

"Gambling
Gambling may include, but is not limited to, wagering on or selling pools on any athletic or other event; possessing on one’s person, premises (e.g., rooms, residence unit, car), or in a computer account or electronic format, any card, book, or other device for registering bets; knowingly using or permitting the use of one’s premises or one’s telephone or other electronic communication device for illegal gambling; knowingly receiving or delivering a letter, package, or parcel or electronic or telephonic communication related to illegal gambling; or playing or engaging in any game, at any place, by any device whatever for money or other thing of value. Students found in violation of the prohibition against gambling may be subject to disciplinary action up to and including dismissal."

From here

http://www.nova.edu/cwis/studentaffairs/forms/ustudenthandbook.pdf

From American Heritage Dictionary

"pool2
n.
1. a. A game of chance, resembling a lottery, in which the contestants put staked money into a common fund that is later paid to the winner.

b. A fund containing all the money bet in a game of chance or on the outcome of an event."

Rexx

Smash Journeyman
I'm going honors and my good friend Seibrik is too, theres also bout 3 more ppl dat i can make come to this aswell.:)

Rexx

Smash Journeyman
:cool: honors u mentioned something about halo 2 tourney going on the same day, if true let me kno because i hav a couple friends dat want to participate in it. Thank you.

1 more thing i got 1 of the 3 ppl to come so far so put his name down as "Nicholas".

Also your not having pools i presume?

Honors

Smash Journeyman
Actually it was on January 29. Here is the original message of the tournaments and their corresponding dates.

Also, if you know anyone interested in Halo 2 (On Jan 29), DDR (March 24), and Tekken 5 (April 14), and would like to participate and help out in bringing the games, memory cards and/or systems, let them know. We're also making a tournament for those games also.

Maybe what you were talking about was the NSU convention that we were thinking of doing. We moved that to next semester so that way we could fundraise, find sponsors and people willing to help ahead of time.

We're still planning to do the tournament events the next school year.

Yea, there will be no pools. The placings in bracket will be determined randomly by picking the number out of the bag.

Sensei Seibrik

Smash Hero
Dude, the name is Seibrik, S-E-I-B-R-I-K. Get it right :p
Maybe I should have picked an easier name to spell, like, Apple, or, Crackokain, sheesh.

Honors

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for your confirmation. Good to see you around. I assume you read it all if you found that minor error? Hope to get that rematch and win this time!

Honors

Smash Journeyman
Doc. Preparing a counter? jk. My top three are in the FL thread. What's yours? It'll be definitely interesting to see how this turns out. Ask Seibrik, he faced me before.

Sensei Seibrik

Smash Hero
Rexx plays all of florida :)
I look foward to playing you again honors, and im sorry ahead of time if one of the two things happen:
1)I knock you out of the tourny
2) in the event that the first one doesn't happen, Im appologize for taking 5 bucks from you in a MM

Sound good? :)

Top Bottom