• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

2.B.A. MASTER: The New PT Video Thread

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Me.

VS KenniSPAM (Ness):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jMhcSTkxp0

(gotta get moar replays. And better ones. lol. I'd say The one with DLA is most entertaining. And the ones VS Sponge because of all the Water Gun shenanigans. XD)
]
Sorry to be late with this but whenever I see a ness match I have a few things to say

The major problems I saw here start with

Squirtle: Way to much use of f-air....you can use it but you must be sparing its your kill option you really should be going with b-air more. Next you attempted water-guns during ness' second jump which is what your going for you wanna water gun during PKT. Also you never grab released at the edge....force ness to recover low it will give you a better opportunity for edge hogs and water gun gimps.

Ivy: Never jus dangle at the edge if your opponent makes his way down your vine to you....always reel in to make sure those silly gimps do not happen. Also b-air is good but do not just keep throwing it out there you have razor leaf and b-air to work together so that you gain better spacing.

Zard: A grab should = a stock on Ness honestly, which means your grab game needs a lot of work. I grab release A LOT of characters with Zard and you would be surprised how many options you can actually cut. Next is your RockSmashing....yes it is a great move but its a semi responsive kind of move. RS counter attacks do wonders and just constantly throwing Rocksmashes out there is never worth it.

Overall you had good DI prevent PK fire -> grab and had a pretty solid hydroplanning game. The major problems I listed but I know this is an old video budda so I tried to be as constructive as possible. I just feel in the ness matchup the PT player has so many more options that we really shouldn't unless the ness knows the matchup just as well.

PTKloud

Smash Rookie
Hi every body! My english is bad but i try write ^^:

Im a Pokémon Trainer of Colombia (South America) and i like this character since January 2009 and is my main.
I want be the best Pokemon Trainer in my country but the people than use this character are few.

Ok here posting my Pokemon Trainer Combo video and i hope so you like and wait comments how do I improve: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOulEWw13uo

Thanks a lot and greetings from Colombia, Ibagué.

MaTA

Smash Ace
NNID
MatisElite
you're video is pretty good. still a lot to learn your PT seems kinda normal right now but thats good cause you want to know all you can about your character. Make sure you practice some advanced techniques with all 3 and try to switch up your move sets.

CoonTail

Smash Lord
My next 3 vids I totally forgot to post.....

****(PT) v. Ryko(Snake) 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrOmReYnuds
****(PT) v. Ryko(Snake) 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giVBxdjzyZA&feature=related
****(PT) v. Ryko(Snake) 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=re4kmYUY30A&feature=related

these are a bit old figuring they are from match and I was starting to implement new things into my game play. I was trying out watergun camping but I was over doing it ALOT. I was still rolling towards my opponents here which is terrible I know. I did a few other things but I deff just wanna get these up so here you go guys

BTW I have this terrible "Signature" of watergunning the wrong way in these matches so please dont comment on it lol it was so stupid on my part just misclicking errors.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Good stuff, ****.

You had a nasty habit of using nair and canceling it to jabs in front of Snake--that's what Snake wants you to do. He can jab you, ftilt you, utilt you, grab you, or hold his shield and blow you up with a grenade. Luckily when you did this in your first match, Squirtle was at relatively low to mid percents, so these nairs didn't lead to early KOs. Just keep it in mind.

I also don't ever dair Snake onstage just out of fear of utilts, but that's personal preference.

I loved your shellshifted fair towards the end of the first match. Nice mixup.

I also loved your first Ivysaur KO in the first game. That's combo video worthy, my man!

Again, in the first match, there was a handful of times a pivot grab with Charizard would have been your best move, but instead you just sat there for a second or two.

Instead of grab releasing Snake on the ledge, fthrow him off the stage. That's where he's most vulnerable to Squirtle's aerials.

Watch your spacing with Flamethrower. You lost match 2 on a misplaced Flamethrower that lead to an uptilt. If you're in uptilt range, just don't go for something with as much end lag as Flamethrower. 'Cuz if you miss, you're gonna die.

Loved the Ivysaur dair spike in the third game. I doubt Ryoko expected that at all, haha.

Similarly to watching your spacing with Flamethrower, watch your Ivysaur nairs. At times you seemed to be nairing just for the sake of nairing, despite the fact that Ivysaur was in KO range for an uptilt, which happened to you in game 3. Beware that uptilt and change your playstyle accordingly.

Just curious: Why did you CP Snake to FD? Charizard's very vulnerable to his dthrow there.

All in all, though, glad to see some recent vids, ****. Keep them coming.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Haha, we'll have to see if we can get some videos soon...this week maybe?

CoonTail

Smash Lord
-To start thanks for the critiques zigsta

Firstly these were jus friendlies so nothing was CP'd it was just hitting the start button and getting a random stage.....I'd never CP snake to FD lol

The only reason I n-aired in front of snake to jab was because I noticed he had a habit of shield grabbing my n-air so when I fell short with it and jabbed him it connected almost everytime but I understand your point.

Lastly I do got to work on my zard pivot grab game it jus has such awkward as range compared to his reg grab I tend to steer away from it because I do fear snake's D-throw like the plague.

But anyway thanks for all the compliments and yea I deff have quite a few Ivy moments that were pretty shocking for Ryko it was hysterical

Your right about my flamethrower spacing I use it to mainly bounce incoming grenades but I was getting sloppy so point taken.

As far as the Ivy n-air goes like I said this is an old vid and I never did anything besides n-air to get back on stage so I have started to get up attack and other choices just the videos age shows

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
i get so excited when luis posts vids

your squirtle on your last stock seems like a massive b**** to face for opponents, you are so clutch

good wario stuff too, dumb gimp death :(. do you have any other wario vids? i play some fat man and i love the way you manipulate platforms. in fact, that's something you seem to do well with whatever character you are playing.

Toby.

Smash Master
Instead of grab releasing Snake on the ledge, fthrow him off the stage. That's where he's most vulnerable to Squirtle's aerials.
That really depends on what percentage Snake is on. At low percents it is often way better to ground release him. It puts Snake in a much worse position than a throw > fair, because he is forced to use his double jump from lower down. If snake has to double jump from lower down and you have a charged water gun...he's in trouble.

Hey guys.

Buuda

Smash Apprentice
So, guys. I'm putting up vids soon from Don't Blink. Another MM VS DLA. (DK VS PT). It will be exciting. :D
As long as YoshQ uploads them. He better. lol. Also, coin match coming soon. XD
On another note, Squirtle does a cute little headstand when you use u-air too close to the ground. <3

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Hopelessness is a good thing--it reminds us we're all human. :)

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Do you guys do critiques here? I only have one vid of my PT offline (its odd too) but tell me what you think(I 2nd Pt)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLJQRJ-2MPs
First off, I really like your avatar. POWER BRAAAAST

Second, the Peach player is pretty good, but he underestimates how annoying turnips can be for PT.

You use Charizard's jab way too often. It would be fine if opponents couldn't shield it halfway through, but, they can, so it'll get you punished often against people that know that.

If you predict a quick float offensive from Peach, you can jump and F-Air/B-Air before she starts doing anything to you.

I like that you were landing with U-Air, but don't forget to use autocanceled N-Air as a good landing option, as well as D-Air (to throw off aggressive players, since the hitbox is huge) and your B moves (mostly N-Air, because it's reliable). In order to escape a juggle as Charizard, you have to be creative.

I'm surprised you didn't use Ivysaur; she can do a number on Peach if you know what you're doing.

MaTA

Smash Ace
NNID
MatisElite
Tesh, I think you just need to pick your attacks better with peach...dont jab so much with charizard because he has a ton more moves that work better against peach. you should be rock smashing more then jabs :p try to use your throws more wisely and if you get hit by beaches dair at higher percents you can up b and kill her.

try to move around more!!!

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Tesh what reflex and Mata said cover alot of what should have been fixed here but theres a few things they did not touch on that I feel you should know.

First good job opening Zard, the Zard squirtle battery is really good against peach.

With Zard you played to close to peach you need to space more and stay out of her face unless shes off balance. You can use flamethrower to stop the turnip nonsense and on top of that it stops her float approach. Next you should use RockSmash to stop her D-air float game on Zard because her D-air sets off the Rock Smash counter attack which means while being D-aird you can break out a RockSmash to stop that.

Outside of that you went for d-air spikes a bit early on peach with Zard you could have used flame thrower or just camped the edge to force options out of her. Overall you just seemed a little overly aggressive Zard v. Peach is a matchup in your favor if you just play back and force her approach.

With Squirtle all I can say was there was way to much senseless aggresion, no hate at all just make sure you think out your attacks before you throw them in the peach matchup or any matchup fatigue will become a factor and you were throwing attacks out left and right that werent necessary.

Overall not a bad match just look into the matchup more and take more time for yourself the peach did not have that much of an aggressive offense so you deffinitly had time to think out your options

Tesh

Smash Hero
Thanks all.

As far as jab, I usually don't use it much, but I'm a little new to offline, especially with with pokemon trainer. I was trying to get my fastest move out there on grab releases and to keep the pressure on. But if jab is as bad as you say, I'll try more spaced dtilts, regrabs and retreating aerials out of a grab release. What does an opponent have to do to shield in the middle of jab? Does it require DI down and away or something (can't be as bad as luigi's dash attack).

Of all the stages to skip Ivysaur, that probably wasn't the best idea. I tend to do poorly with Ivysaur even in situations where she excels.

My squirtle is awful, I have no idea what I am doing in the air. flailing around with squirtle has yet to fail me so far. Also I wasn't worried about fatigue at all on that stage.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Finally got some more recent ones, they're from Don't Blink.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lu2YyQ-3X_s&feature=related (PT vs DK [DLA]) 1/2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THfdhbb6oCU&feature=related (PT vs DK [DLA]) 2/2
Buuda, here's some comments I have from the second match:

Stop airdodging randomly. You seem to airdodge out of a fear of getting hit, not by reacting to your opponent. Take around the :19 mark. DK's on the other side of the stage. You jump towards him and then airdodge backwards slightly. That does absolutely nothing except show your opponent that you like to airdodge randomly. A skilled opponent will punish you for that. I used to have the exact same problem--it can be difficult to break. My advice: Next fest you have, don't airdodge at all. Not even once. Not even if you know you're gonna get hit. And it also helps to have someone watching you telling you every single time you airdodge randomly.

I personally never do a Hydroplaned upsmash against DK. If I miss, it's laggy enough to get punished. Squirtle needs to be quick against DK.

Around the :36 mark, you shellshift a few times, which causes DK to bring up his shield. Then you fair his shield and get grabbed. If you see someone throw a shield up, the last thing you should do is fair. You'll get grabbed every time.

Don't mess with DK at all in the water with Squirtle. You're outclassed here. Best you can do is dair him, and if the last hit connects, DK will be sent flying. But most times DK will just go for a spike, as he did against you on your first stock.

Squirtle in general is tough to use against DK. You can rack up the damage quick, but he outranges you and kills you at low percents. You had a very nice lead on him, but you got greedy and squandered it by going into the water. Always be careful with Squirtle against DK. Don't trade hits with him at all costs. Get in, get out, and play safe.

Bottom line is this: Ivysaur and Charizard especially do much better in this MU than Squirtle does. If Squirtle does work for you against DK, you're in for a much easier fight.

When Charizard first comes out of his Pokeball, you jump up and airdodge even though DK hasn't even jumped towards you yet. Stop it!

Don't grab release DK. He can jab you before you can do anything to him.

Don't rollspam with Charizard like you did around the 1:20 mark to get away from DK. Just run here--it's faster.

Around the 1:53 mark, you're on the umbrella above DK, and you roll to get out of the way. On a small platform like that, it's useless to roll away, as DK's utilt--which he used against you--covers that entire tiny platform. Just shield if you're worried about getting utilted. Bait it and get the flip outta there.

Nice hydroplaned dsmash for the win.

In general, I'd like to see more nair from your Charizard. It leads to grabs and Rock Smashes and is a great way to get up close against DK. Remember, DK likes to keep opponents away with tilts--Charizard outclasses him up close. That's the main problem your Charizard: You use Flamethrower more than Rock Smash against DK. Flamethrower is pretty good against DK since he's a heavy, but Rock Smash does a better job of shutting down his tilts.

All in all though, I can tell you've improved since your last video, Buuda. Keep up the training.

Tesh said:
Do you guys do critiques here? I only have one vid of my PT offline (its odd too) but tell me what you think(I 2nd Pt)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLJQRJ-2MPs
This is an MU I actually prefer to start Ivysaur in. I would have liked to have seen your Ivysaur more.

I personally don't like this MU as Squirtle. I tend to do a lot more camping than usual and just try to run the timer, haha.

Your Squirtle in general is way too predictable. Throw in some shellshifting, empty short hops, crawling...anything to make your opponent unsure of what you're going to do next. One of the biggest mistakes new PTs make with Squirtle is just short hop fairing all day. It's a predictable aerial that's easy to get shieldgrabbed.

Tesh, you can replace just about all of your jabs with Rock Smashes. Jab's not bad per se, but Peach's jab is much, much faster.

All in all though, not too shabby for your secondary and for you being relatively new to offline play. Looking forward to meeting you at a Texas tournament sometime.

T-block

B2B TST
Your Squirtle in general is way too predictable. Throw in some shellshifting, empty short hops, crawling...anything to make your opponent unsure of what you're going to do next.
Does anyone else remember when Zigsta first posted vids and he would just do nothing but shellshift the entire match? Haha...good times.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Does anyone else remember when Zigsta first posted vids and he would just do nothing but shellshift the entire match? Haha...good times.
My god...those matches are painful to watch now. XD

Buuda

Smash Apprentice
Thanks, Zigsta! I mostly do the whole random air-dodge thing just to keep myself on my toes. lol. I know it sounds dumb, but that's why I do it. Also, it psyches people out? Maybe I'm hallucinating. 0_0;

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Yeah, I'd say you're hallucinating, haha. If random airdoges actually psyche your opponent out, then your opponent's a scrub.

Basically, you don't want to leave holes in your strategy for your opponent to exploit.

bigman40

Smash Master
I plan on getting new vids on my PT whenever I go to another smashfest. I'm gonna make PT my third main along with Yoshi and Pika (random characters I like ftw). =D

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Thanks all.

As far as jab, I usually don't use it much, but I'm a little new to offline, especially with with pokemon trainer. I was trying to get my fastest move out there on grab releases and to keep the pressure on. But if jab is as bad as you say, I'll try more spaced dtilts, regrabs and retreating aerials out of a grab release.
Zard's jab is bad tesh just out of grab release it can be based on how fast the opponents jab is which is something you need to learn.

Zard's initial jab is frame 4 if i recall properly so take note of the characters with jabs faster than that. Also you said you were trying to get your fastest move out there on grab release.....try to take note if the other player is doing that because if so you can just shield out of grab release and shieldgrab their attack.

Once you begin to mix those two together you can start mindgaming players and either regrab them out of grab release because they shield in attempts to predict you jabbing or as earlier stated the jab trying to beat your jab out and you shield grab them. Zard's grab release game can be a real nasty mindgame if you predict properly

Top Bottom