• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[22 JAN] Comprehensive Guide to AT's, Discoveries and Glitches (Posting Rules in OP)

Tenki

Smash Hero
Sonic techniques- updates

[Sonic]

- Air Dash (stage dependent)
How to Perform: Do a spin-dash with either Side-B or Down-B off of a sloped surface such that you are rolling when you leave the edge.
Effect: Sonic, after leaving the platform, travels perfectly horizontally until he reaches the
end of the stage.
OP/Stage List: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=154329
Video: http://youtube.com/watch?v=IwnKvpibCXc

- Air-Dash Teleport
If Sonic touches any non-platform object during an Air Dash, he will teleport. The direction of the teleport depends on the angle at which Sonic collided with the object.
OP: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=164690
Video: http://youtube.com/watch?v=IwnKvpibCXc
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvH-hwAbYP4

- Double Springing
Set a spring on the ground, land, then jump on the spring you just laid. At the top of the spring-jump, Sonic can Up-B again to soar to ridiculous heights.

- Down-B to F-Smash
How to Perform: On a stage with a large slope (Green Hill Zone, Yoshi's Island Melee, etc), perform a Down-B up-hill towards the slope. When you're on the slope, Jump to cancel the spin dash and execute an F-smash. Hard to do with the joystick, easy with the C-stick.
Effect: Sonic will go straight from a spin dash into an F-smash with no lag in between.
OP/Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsPU6nCm5iI

- Homing Cancel
How to Perform: Press B to initiate a homing attack, then press B again about halfway through the rising windup.
Effect: The Homing Attack stops winding up and goes into the attack portion early.

- Homing Stall
How to Perform: Do a Homing Attack against the bottom of any solid stage platform or block, where "solid" means "cannot be dropped through."
Effect: Sonic will hit the platform/block and move sideways slightly while pressed against it briefly before falling. This can be used to cross under stages or repeated continuously to stall the match.

– Infinite Side-B Jump
How to Perform: Same as the Bowser Infinite Claw Jump (see above), except you must be near the ground during the beginning of the Side-B.
Effect: Same as the Bowser Infinite Claw Jump. Because his jump is higher and his aerials are quicker, he can use any aerial during the jump (except D-air) and continue to Infinite Jump.

- Spin Shotting
How to Perform: Initiate a Side-B, then jump to cancel it immediately after releasing the charge.
Effect: Sonic jumps much farther and at a lower angle than either his jump or double jump. This can be done in the air too.

– Spring Stall
How to Perform: Execute a Spring Jump on the ground, then spam D-air immediately above the spring.
Effect: Sonic will hover over the spring, doing D-airs repeatedly. Other characters with D-airs similar to Sonic's can also do this on springs, but since they can't generate them, the usefulness is very limited.

- Up-B Distance Extension
How to Perform: F-air or B-air immediately after performing an Up-B.
Effect: Sonic travels slightly farther horizontally than he normally does after an Up-B.
Airdash is performed by initiating Side-B on a 45 degree (or steeper) surface so that the initial hop is interrupted by the ground.
In the duration of this state, you are invincible and will follow the ground until you reach the end of the platform. If you roll off a straight edge or upward slope, you will continue to float straight. If you float off a downward slope, you will fall with a normal trajectory while still invincible. Turning around (while you're still on the ground) or jumping will cancel the airdash state.

Double Spring - even though the original description is true, it's now known that the true 'double spring' is performed by having someone footstool jump Sonic as he's rising during his first up-B or during the aerial that's usually done during the spring jump.

Down-B to F-smash is more like... "Hilldash" (mentioned earlier) - jumping while going up a 45 degree or steeper slope during spindash will allow you to perform any move out of it.

Homing Stall - just a slight update, because there are still people who don't understand this move: It's done by having Homing Attack 'rise' into the ceiling as it's charging, then releasing. If noone is in range, you will follow the ceiling and slide in the direction you are facing (can control this via Turnaround B's), but if someone IS in range, it will continually try to home in on them, usually leaving you moving back and forth under the block/platform.

Infinite Side-B Jump - This is just jump-cancelling grounded side-B charges. You can actually jump out of down-B charges, too, so it's not really the technique it markets itself to be lol.

Spinshot - An alternative (for GC controllers) is to charge an aerial down-B and, while charging (and still in midair), hit the C-stick (smash/attack) sideways. Default Wii-chuck controls can also easily do spinshot by charging side-B and hitting A at the same time ("grab") input.

Up-B Distance Extension - airdodge works too. Any aerial will cancel Up-B's "stiff" rising animation and allow you to start controlling your movement so you can float further away.

And some 'move properties' that never really left the Sonic boards:

ASC (aerial spin charge) multi-hit - An aerial down-B's damage is based on how much speed you have while floating in midair. While holding forward after releasing, you will deal max damage possible (modified by stale moves) and renew the attack box for two or more hits, depending on opponent's size and DI. Also works on shields and other damageable objects like bosses and breakable stage hazards.

ASC cancel - Tap (or, easier, hold shield) as you land after releasing aerial down-B (or after rolling off a platform with either one) and you will go into a shield.

Spindash cancel - While charging side-B, hit shield to cancel the charge. You can do anything out of this that you can out of shield.

I'm not really sure if these are considered an AT's or something, but they're miscellaneous tricks that combine two previous "techniques" in the guide.
Shield out of initial dash - Out of initial dash, you can start a side-B and shield cancel it so you can shield (and shield grab)
B-reversal pivot - out of any grounded movement (initial dash, full-run, etc), you can perform a B-reversal and shield cancel it to perform any move out of shield.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Tenki for President. He's a pretty cool guy that doesn't afraid of anything.
You rock dude >.<

Along with the Sonic update/debunk, I'll have to dive into the Pit forums.

Phantom1987

Smash Apprentice
that yoshi's "egg toss slide" its not an unique technique for him... I discovered for myself that you can jump cancel any up-b attack (very useful in zss)... So you can do any up-b while you are in dash animation!! Well this is something I discovered myself and I have not make a video of it... Aps... And pls don't take that "I discovered myself" wrong... I´m not proclaming I´m the first... still I could not find it in youtube... I'll probably made a video of it one of this days..

Although, I discovered another glitch, and I am confident I was the first in knowing how to perform it... It is a boomerang glitch, for link and toon link...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxN0eQSxkU8

Digimonkey

Smash Journeyman
Did anyone mention the SHTL?
(Short Hop Triple Laser)
The third laser doesn't make any noise. I don't know if it's possible to do without firing a forth laser when you hit the ground.

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
you mean when the laser fires but doesn't make any noise and you can run with it? i've doen that before but i can never replicate it often, i tend to fire the forth laser too.

Digimonkey

Smash Journeyman
you mean when the laser fires but doesn't make any noise and you can run with it? i've doen that before but i can never replicate it often, i tend to fire the forth laser too.
I think you can only run with it when you shoot a laser really close to the ground and It's not a third laser. But if you squeeze in two lasers before the last one, then I'm pretty sure you'll lag when you land, because another laser will fire. That's really confusing!

They're probably the same thing, just when you try to do a SHDL or TL you hit the B button really fast and can't control when to stop. But when you are in a relaxed full jump you're less likely to shoot another laser after the landing (silent) one.

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
maybe, but im pretty sure when i was falco or Fox, i forget which one i was, i shot a third laser and it was silent, but i didn't react fast enough to run with it just turn around in confusion for a minute. XD

maybe it has something to do with buffering a laser upon landing? or not idk.

Digimonkey

Smash Journeyman
maybe, but im pretty sure when i was falco or Fox, i forget which one i was, i shot a third laser and it was silent, but i didn't react fast enough to run with it just turn around in confusion for a minute. XD

maybe it has something to do with buffering a laser upon landing? or not idk.
I just messed around with it, (basically clarifying what I said up there) you can only run with it if another laser doesn't follow it. It's pretty useless either way, unless your opponent is blind and plays by hearing... in that case it will be easy to get 2% damage on him!

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Okay, I've updated it with Tenki's Sonic stuff plus other things which I'll elaborate on:

that yoshi's "egg toss slide" its not an unique technique for him... I discovered for myself that you can jump cancel any up-b attack (very useful in zss)... So you can do any up-b while you are in dash animation!! Well this is something I discovered myself and I have not make a video of it... Aps... And pls don't take that "I discovered myself" wrong... I´m not proclaming I´m the first... still I could not find it in youtube... I'll probably made a video of it one of this days..

Although, I discovered another glitch, and I am confident I was the first in knowing how to perform it... It is a boomerang glitch, for link and toon link...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxN0eQSxkU8
I went with the name 'Phantom Boomerang' for the entry : ]

Did anyone mention the SHTL?
(Short Hop Triple Laser)
The third laser doesn't make any noise. I don't know if it's possible to do without firing a forth laser when you hit the ground.
I don't think it's been mentioned in the thread yet. Who's capable of it? Just Fox?

@Meme: Thanks, but I'vve just added a different video for that section by Digimonkey :)

Digimonkey

Smash Journeyman
I don't think it's been mentioned in the thread yet. Who's capable of it? Just Fox?
Yeah, falco and wolf can't shoot fast enough.
I like how you called it a "section" haha.

Every time I quote it erases part of the close quote thing.
( QUOTE] ) instead of ( [/QUOTE] )
kind of annoying

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
not really, some characters can avoid being aethercided, multi jumpers, flying recoveries, i've even survived it with Fox.
True, true. Those aside, the rest of the cast is promptly suicided. Maybe a list of suicidable characters should be posting next to it?

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
maybe. but it doesn't seem like alot of the cast really are. that or maybe cause the Ike person i normally fight had never aethercided me before. need to test. if its put in that just more added to the list. :)

Alopex

Smash Ace
By the way, Vyse, here's a Yoshi tech that you should put up there. The thread has a video attached to it and everything.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=188420

It's called DJC Egg Lay or DJL Egg Lay or Draconic Egg Lay. It's not like the Dragonic Reverse, it just looks similar in execution, thus the last variation of the name. Take a peek!

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
vyse, feel free to check out my discovery, its called tech-hogging and its a stage-specific AT that has a lot of potential, check it out.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=190339

I'll be proud to have it added on the original post of this thread. :)
I'll look into it. A video would be handy.

By the way, Vyse, here's a Yoshi tech that you should put up there. The thread has a video attached to it and everything.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=188420

It's called DJC Egg Lay or DJL Egg Lay or Draconic Egg Lay. It's not like the Dragonic Reverse, it just looks similar in execution, thus the last variation of the name. Take a peek!
Okie Dokie.

---

Vyse's List of stuff to be added:
- SHTL
- Aethercide
- tech-hogging
- DJC Egg Lay/Dragonic Egg Lay

Equus

Smash Cadet
I wasn't the one who first discovered this, but it happened to me recently, and it's not on the list, so I'll mention it anyway:

Sometimes, when power shielding an Aura Sphere, the attack will freeze in midair for a few seconds. There's no hitbox on the frozen Aura Sphere, so it doesn't really have any practical use, but it's weird nonetheless.

Here's an example (skip to about 2:17):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-EWoJB0fMI

I don't know the full details of the glitch, so maybe some testing needs to be done.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Updated:
Added SHTL, Aethercide, DJC Egg Lay and Aura Sphere Freeze glitch.

@Kino: I really need to be looking at a video.
You'll have to excuse my ignorance -_-

The issue I have with Tech-hogging is that its extremely situational in my opinion.
If you can get a video up, I'll be more than happy to add it though.

arm

Smash Apprentice
Another fun glitch is 180 PAUNCH into a Pits mirror shields reflecting frames, the ones when taken out, the PAUNCHER wil be hurtled across the stage, and its an instakill on walkoff stages for Ganondorf. The glitch doesnt work with Kirby, however.

Sino

Smash Journeyman
what is it called when you do a jump and immediatly do a upsmash so you do a upsmash instead of a jump? I can't find it under jump cancel

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Another fun glitch is 180 PAUNCH into a Pits mirror shields reflecting frames, the ones when taken out, the PAUNCHER wil be hurtled across the stage, and its an instakill on walkoff stages for Ganondorf. The glitch doesnt work with Kirby, however.
I'll look into it, thanks arm :)

what is it called when you do a jump and immediatly do a upsmash so you do a upsmash instead of a jump? I can't find it under jump cancel
And yet that's what it is, a jump cancelled up smash. This is a technique borrowed from Melee (Not sure if it was in smash 64), and is a very general piece of knowledge.

Try smashwiki.com for more info on it.

Vyse, you still have to add Olimar's Whistle Armor. (if you want to, that is :D) Just so you don't forget.
Yep yep.
If you could link me to some info I can use, that'd be cool, otherwise I'll look into it myself soonish. I just got back from an STD and am very sleepy :laugh:

Snail

Smash Lord
Yep yep.
If you could link me to some info I can use, that'd be cool, otherwise I'll look into it myself soonish. I just got back from an STD and am very sleepy :laugh:
:D There's not too much about it to be said. Whistle has a few frames of Super Armor right at the beginning (when Olimar pulls his head back) and it's usually used to help recovery or block multi-hit smashes.

Shök

Smash Champion
I know of a way to grab the ledge after a roll facing towards the stage (press diagonally down the opposite way), and I thought I found it here, but i couldn't find it in the guide.

I was not the first to find this, but if it'f not in the guide, feel free to add this

SlickSlicer

Smash Apprentice
Something I don't think has been mentioned:

If you're playing toon link or link, you can jump and use the button(s) you'd usually use for a throw. They will extend their hook shot, but if it hits an enemy, it will do damage instead of picking them up or anything. Not sure if this is useful at all, but it has semi-decent range.

Yinlong

Smash Journeyman
Something I don't think has been mentioned:

If you're playing toon link or link, you can jump and use the button(s) you'd usually use for a throw. They will extend their hook shot, but if it hits an enemy, it will do damage instead of picking them up or anything. Not sure if this is useful at all, but it has semi-decent range.
its called a zair, and its not an AT.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
:D There's not too much about it to be said. Whistle has a few frames of Super Armor right at the beginning (when Olimar pulls his head back) and it's usually used to help recovery or block multi-hit smashes.
okie doke.

I know of a way to grab the ledge after a roll facing towards the stage (press diagonally down the opposite way), and I thought I found it here, but i couldn't find it in the guide.

I was not the first to find this, but if it'f not in the guide, feel free to add this
Ai, it's known. It falls under speed hugging.

Vyse, don't forget the SHFFACT, it sounds so cool.
That's Short Hop, Fast Fall, Auto-Cancelled?
Mmm, I might just add it.

Interesting stuff lol, I look at them again and decide what should be added.

---

I swear I'll update this in the next week.
I'm just REALLY busy with other smash/smashboards related commitments :laugh:

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Here's an AT (if you would call it that) that you can add under Olimar. We call it CLC. (chain ledge cancel):

Here's a thread about its uses: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=5144121#post5144121
This is a small video showing what it is: http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=HozfAf7LkWo

Basically, his tether can act as an ISJR.

Also, about the pikmin desynch-
The pikmin has to be interrupted for the inputted upsmash to do anything. Watch in the video. Mario is jabbing the pikmin to interrupt it so the tech will work. Just something to add.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Ok, get ready for another Mario cape glitch. I did not discover this but I think a good name is "The Ultimate Edgeguard: Cape Teleportation" since essentially you're caping them as they sweetspot with their Up B. It only seems to work on Marth and Captain Falcon right now and the timing is super hard.

On Marth: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMLwNUf_Hng&feature=related

On CF: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lodqoZwnQRQ&feature=related

PS: I don't think Key Blancing is a G&W unique glitch since I've at least seen it done with with TL's Dair too. Plus, FLUDD causes a lot of things to freeze in midair.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Here's an AT (if you would call it that) that you can add under Olimar. We call it CLC. (chain ledge cancel):

Here's a thread about its uses: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=5144121#post5144121
This is a small video showing what it is: http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=HozfAf7LkWo

Basically, his tether can act as an ISJR.

Also, about the pikmin desynch-
The pikmin has to be interrupted for the inputted upsmash to do anything. Watch in the video. Mario is jabbing the pikmin to interrupt it so the tech will work. Just something to add.
Done!

Ok, get ready for another Mario cape glitch. I did not discover this but I think a good name is "The Ultimate Edgeguard: Cape Teleportation" since essentially you're caping them as they sweetspot with their Up B. It only seems to work on Marth and Captain Falcon right now and the timing is super hard.

On Marth: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMLwNUf_Hng&feature=related

On CF: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lodqoZwnQRQ&feature=related

PS: I don't think Key Blancing is a G&W unique glitch since I've at least seen it done with with TL's Dair too. Plus, FLUDD causes a lot of things to freeze in midair.
Added!

Here's some more content.

Donkey Kong
9-Wind punch
In short: Winding DK's Neutral-B only 9 times instead of the full 10 will release a more powerful attack (more knockback). For example, a 10-Wind (or steaming) punch on Jigglypuff will kill at 53%, but a 9-Wind punch will kill at 33%.

OP: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=176033
Ack, I'll add this.

But I need to add Wario's waft properties as well.
Ugh, Also Key Balance, I need to make that a multiple character technique.

And I have two tournaments to organise in the next 3 weeks.
And the Australian Newsletter.
And the Diddy Kong Forum Stickies.

*Tears out hair*

Top Bottom