• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[22 JAN] Comprehensive Guide to AT's, Discoveries and Glitches (Posting Rules in OP)

FredTHAreD

Smash Cadet
We need to get this guide out to people who think Brawl isn't technical. I bet if we had more dedicated players that are still playing Melee working on Brawl, we'd find some more. Oh well. Great job. I'm definently liking how this is looking.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Also,

"- Whistle Super Armor
How to Perform: Simply use the Down B 'whistle'
Effect: The whistle has a few frames of Super Armor right at the beginning (when Olimar pulls his head back) and it's usually used to help recovery or block multi-hit smashes."

bolded- that's a big nono. It's much better against non-mutihit attacks such as GaW's fair or luigi's longlasting nair. Many mulithit attacks will last longer than the super armor of the whistle. Its super armor frames will last around the length of MK's fair. (It can barely be whistled through all the way)

Besides that, it's perfect. :)

You must have learned a lot by making this eh? I learned a couple things after reading through it just now.

Snail

Smash Lord
Also,

"- Whistle Super Armor
Effect: The whistle has a few frames of Super Armor right at the beginning (when Olimar pulls his head back) and it's usually used to help recovery or block multi-hit smashes."

bolded- that's a big nono. It's much better against non-mutihit attacks such as GaW's fair or luigi's longlasting nair. Many mulithit attacks will last longer than the super armor of the whistle. Its super armor frames will last around the length of MK's fair. (It can barely be whistled through all the way)

You must have learned a lot by making this eh? I learned a couple things after reading through it just now.
Hm? You can whistle ROB's dsmash and counter before he hits you again, IIRC. That would make it useful for blocking multihit smashes (and aerials. You can whistle MK's fair and run under to upsmash him, for example). Right?

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Hm? You can whistle ROB's dsmash and counter before he hits you again, IIRC. That would make it useful for blocking multihit smashes (and aerials. You can whistle MK's fair and run under to upsmash him, for example). Right?
Yeah, that's true, but for the most part, multihit attacks will last longer than the whistle. I'll name a few: Sheik's dsmash, Zelda's upsmash, GaW's bair, Pikachu's dsmash, MK's bair(I think), Link's upsmash, Peach's dair. These are just a few off the top of my head.

Olimar's whistle is much better against single hit attacks that are hard to punish, such as GaW's upsmash. Airdodges should ALWAYS be used unless you're wanting to punish an attack or you're trying to get back to the ground. It's also very good at helping Olimar recover- because feinting airdodges is a big deal in this game and the whistle has very low lag.

Snail

Smash Lord
Well, okay. Change the discription to "...and it's usually used to help recovery or block some multihit attacks." I don't use the whistle on the ground at all, but yeah. :/

DeftFunk

Smash Rookie
My friend tells me three things, although they're nothing too special and may already be old news:

Apparently, he was playing as Link and threw his boomerang past Mario who used his cape on it upon it's return. Instead of flying off in a different direction, it returned to Link and blew him right off the Bridge of Eldin to his death.

Also, If Shiek or Zelda transform after being struck by lightning, they'll remain huge/tiny until they are KOed.

And Jigglypuff can Rest on Blast Boxes and take no damage while setting them off.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
My friend tells me three things, although they're nothing too special and may already be old news:

Apparently, he was playing as Link and threw his boomerang past Mario who used his cape on it upon it's return. Instead of flying off in a different direction, it returned to Link and blew him right off the Bridge of Eldin to his death.

Also, If Shiek or Zelda transform after being struck by lightning, they'll remain huge/tiny until they are KOed.

And Jigglypuff can Rest on Blast Boxes and take no damage while setting them off.
Second one is good but the other two aren't even glitches.

Jewdo

Smash Journeyman
Hey again. Reading over the thread, I realize I left out a bit of old news. Everyone probably knows it already, so only include it if you think it's useful.

- Game & Watch: Key Braking

How to Perform: Do a D-air. At any point in the move's downward plunge, return the joystick to neutral and press it Down again.
Effect: G&W will fall less quickly than normal for the rest of the D-air.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Please edit "wingdashing" for pit by taking away "this is the most similar thing to wavedashing in brawl" I was dumb when I wrote that

Nihongo-ookami

Smash Journeyman
Someone might have already said this, but the DI after Sonic's Neutral Special or side special is amazing if you're at mid-high percentages. Also, it works better for the heavier characters.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I'm going to do another update to the guide next week.
I'm really busy with a lot of things at the moment (Especially my tournament).

J4pu

Smash Champion
What is CLC? you gotta be more direct with this, I didn't know where to look to find it. Maybe put the section you post the info in in front of the name of the newly added item.

Alopex

Smash Ace
On Crawl Dashing, you haven't listed all the characters that can crawl in the parentheses. Just from memory, Wario, Lucario, and Sheik are not there.

I don't know about the other two, but I know from personal use that Sheik can Crawl Dash and she is also shown doing it in one of the videos in the thread you linked to. It's supposed to work with all characters that can crawl, so it should work with Wario and Lucario to.

So maybe edit those characters into the parentheses for completion?

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Sorry, CLC = Chain Ledge Cancel

It's an olimar technique.

EDIT: Need to add
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=195923
On Crawl Dashing, you haven't listed all the characters that can crawl in the parentheses. Just from memory, Wario, Lucario, and Sheik are not there.

I don't know about the other two, but I know from personal use that Sheik can Crawl Dash and she is also shown doing it in one of the videos in the thread you linked to. It's supposed to work with all characters that can crawl, so it should work with Wario and Lucario to.

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll give it another week, since not much has been posted for adding to the guide since my last update. I'll update it then.

:)

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Ah, don't worry Dark Sonic.
I didn't forget grinding : )

Or, at least I wouldn't have when updating it.

Rkey

Smash Journeyman
Oh yeah, this is gonna be interesting :)

Hey, I keep reading theese tiny descriptions of wavebouncing when there's sooo much you can do with them. Check out my All About wavebouncing thread, you wont forget it. I'd appreciate if you could add it next to the other OP about wavebouncing, since I put a lot of work in this thread and few are showing interest :ohwell:

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Will do Rkey.

Argh, I'm blaming the lack of updates to 'no internet' johns at the moment. I wanted to have it done by now, but my pre-paid mobile wireless just ran out, and I've been too busy to buy more credit =_=

(I have a weird situation with my internet).

Right now I'm posting from work, so I can't really sit down for an hour and edit everything in.

Expect the next update in a couple of days.

Rkey

Smash Journeyman
Will do Rkey.

Argh, I'm blaming the lack of updates to 'no internet' johns at the moment. I wanted to have it done by now, but my pre-paid mobile wireless just ran out, and I've been too busy to buy more credit =_=

(I have a weird situation with my internet).

Right now I'm posting from work, so I can't really sit down for an hour and edit everything in.

Expect the next update in a couple of days.
Cool, thanks : )

No rush

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Also,

"- Whistle Super Armor

Hey again. Reading over the thread, I realize I left out a bit of old news. Everyone probably knows it already, so only include it if you think it's useful.

- Game & Watch: Key Braking

How to Perform: Do a D-air. At any point in the move's downward plunge, return the joystick to neutral and press it Down again.
Effect: G&W will fall less quickly than normal for the rest of the D-air.
Please edit "wingdashing" for pit by taking away "this is the most similar thing to wavedashing in brawl" I was dumb when I wrote that
Someone might have already said this, but the DI after Sonic's Neutral Special or side special is amazing if you're at mid-high percentages. Also, it works better for the heavier characters.
Sorry, CLC = Chain Ledge Cancel

It's an olimar technique.

EDIT: Need to add
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=195923
New Sonic tech. Grinding
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRdiAKWTfgo

Completely useless, but still awesome.

You forgot about Grinding.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRdiAKWTfgo

I actually think it has some mindgame potential, considering you can still do anything that you could do from a normal dash out of it, and at the end you can foxtrot or dash dance (which means you can pivot).
Oh yeah, this is gonna be interesting :)

Hey, I keep reading theese tiny descriptions of wavebouncing when there's sooo much you can do with them. Check out my All About wavebouncing thread, you wont forget it. I'd appreciate if you could add it next to the other OP about wavebouncing, since I put a lot of work in this thread and few are showing interest :ohwell:
Is anyone looking into, umm... this?

Thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=198295

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axcElEkSZGs

It's pretty convincing.
Self said:
I need to add Wario's waft properties as well.
Ugh, Also Key Balance, I need to make that a multiple character technique.

Okay, MASSIVE MULTI-QUOTE.

Time to update. I think I might do it a chunk at a time. I'll certainly be glad once it's done though :laugh:

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
October 11th Update

[11 OCT]Whistle Armour update, sheik/zelda lightning transform glitch, Key Braking, wing dash edit, grinding, Crawl Dashing edit, wavebounce tute by Rkey added, key balance changed to 'dair balance'.

Two of the facts that DeftFunk posted are merely just the effect of in game attack properties. This also goes for DK's 9-wind punch and Wario's waft. However, I will add them in a future update. So I'll refer back to this post and do some research between now and then.

Nihongo-ookami's post about Sonic's DI is just another fact. Anybody playing sonic would notice this, and so applications of this should be discussed elsewhere (sonic guides?)

I didn't add the 'control the direction of your trip' tech, simply because Yuna debunked it, a fact corroborated by others.

I didn't add the Falcon waveland, because it's actually a non-obvious hill dash.

@Judge Judy:
I'll look at updating Mario's tech's
:)

Tenki

Smash Hero
Nihongo-ookami's post about Sonic's DI is just another fact. Anybody playing sonic would notice this, and so applications of this should be discussed elsewhere (sonic guides?)
lmao

I've never noticed it, and I'm still not exactly sure what Ookami means by the DI being higher at mid-high %'s.

Phantom1987

Smash Apprentice
don´t even know if it should be consider a glitch.... Even I consider it a trick... although... It is a combination of different glitches (jump-canceled up-b... b-reversal). Well... I had to post it xD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OAKgU-RjwY

Aps... And even when in the vid is performed with link... It can also be performed with pit... But I think he can't change his momentum...

Phantom1987

Smash Apprentice
ok... I tested with pit and his reversed aereal off platform is a little different...

He has to press back first --> jump + up-B --> any attack... It is faster than you think xD... I'll upload a video soon ^^

PD: pit can't reversal...
PD2: the same method can be aplied to link

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace

Adapt

Smash Lord
Please take off my true combo list. It's no longer needed.

Here are three threads to consider adding to your post.

Watch out when charging smashes: The Smash-Charge Vulnerability
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=202057

Stun Jacket: NEW (first) Marth AT! (Also works with Ike)
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=201884

Sorta AT: Auto-Cancel Tornado
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=202347

I came in here to add the Smash-Charge Vulnerability, but I got beat to it lol

Do you need a description vyse?

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
An awseome glitch I know in the game is if you use Falco at New Pork City and shoot the platform at the bottom in exactly the right spot, his blaster gets stuck on the end of the platform. (I don't know if that was up there becuase I didn't read much of it. I just wanted to point that out)

Adapt

Smash Lord
Top Bottom