• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

:[

lain

Smash Master
Sorry I ****ed everything up at GENESIS guys. I played the wrong way vs Tyrant and Fiction. Everyone was screaming at Tyrant to camp and time me out, and me being an IC player, I obviously expect this. For some reason I let it get to me and I started worrying about how much time was left instead of winning %'s. Against Fiction I just got psyched out and stopped using walls of bairs. And yes, I know I should have went IC against FOW in pools. It's just like I said, he knew the DDD matchup (in relation to the MK matchup) really well, whereas I didn't know his caliber of Ness at all. Judge beat him 2-0 in tournament, so *shrugs*.

9th out of ~300 is okay. But I could have done better. Everyone was expecting me to get top 8 easily. And the honest truth is, that much pressure is hard to realize, and then handle. When I stand in a room full of people, I don't think about how I'm the ****. I think "WHOA wtf there's so-and-so" and get psyched out by other big name players. I know I shouldn't, I just have huge confidence issues.

Oh, and Swordgard, I am tired of you saying I am "not that good". It's really starting to get on my (and others I notice) nerves. Quit life.

Also, I'm going to tear EVO apart.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Oh, and Swordgard, I am tired of you saying I am "not that good". It's really starting to get on my (and others I notice) nerves. Quit life.
You too huh? >_>;

Good stuff lain. :3 You did really well. Better than I, and a bunch of others would have done. I was rooting for you the whole time, lol.

Sieguest

Smash Master
We all have our moments lain, don't let it get you down!
I've seen a lot of vids with you in it...you're great...
just try not think about all those other big names in there...get in the ZONE!

DZhou

Smash Journeyman
I'm looking foward to watching the vids. :)

Also, any reason why you don't hobble heavies to death, personal preference?

I think you would have won the Midwest Circuit on Livestream a couple weeks ago, if you just kept hobbling Ally.

meepxzero

Smash Master
You got evo lain. Dunno why we are like the most hated main now in the brawl community. Everyones happy when i lose in my region now lol. Don't let stuff outside of the game get to you (people cheering against you and stuff). And work on cging those heavies :laugh:

IxxI

Smash Fence
I haven't seen that, but if it's true...
How arrogant, I don't see him placing well in a tournament as big as Genesis.
Everyone here thought you just needed some weed to do better.
:bee:

Teh Future

Smash Master
Best thread title ever lol.

And ya, nerves suck. I get them at no-name tournaments vs no-name players (like myself :D) I don't even want to imagine what its like in someone who is actually good at the game.

Still you got 9th out of 300 people....

lol.

Good luck at Evo

sammy p

Smash Lord
well 9th is amazing against so many people!!
as all these other members are saying, no need to be so down!
in our eyes, you did awsome!!

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Sorry I ****ed everything up at GENESIS guys. I played the wrong way vs Tyrant and Fiction. Everyone was screaming at Tyrant to camp and time me out, and me being an IC player, I obviously expect this. For some reason I let it get to me and I started worrying about how much time was left instead of winning %'s. Against Fiction I just got psyched out and stopped using walls of bairs. And yes, I know I should have went IC against FOW in pools. It's just like I said, he knew the DDD matchup (in relation to the MK matchup) really well, whereas I didn't know his caliber of Ness at all. Judge beat him 2-0 in tournament, so *shrugs*.

9th out of ~300 is okay. But I could have done better. Everyone was expecting me to get top 8 easily. And the honest truth is, that much pressure is hard to realize, and then handle. When I stand in a room full of people, I don't think about how I'm the ****. I think "WHOA wtf there's so-and-so" and get psyched out by other big name players. I know I shouldn't, I just have huge confidence issues.

It's allright man. Think about that pep talk you gave dojo(thanks for that btw..you and atomsk are amazing :)). Apply that to yourself. I was rooting for you in pretty much all your matches :).

You know Texas loves you and has your back :). **** evo.

Gaspa

Smash Cadet
You really are an idiot lain.

First of all, you don't have to apologize to anyone, and you did good anyway, so wtf are you apologizing for. Btw I was happy as an IC main to see you in top10.

Jeez... just keep it up and don't ****ing worry too much. You should give a **** about what we think, ESPECIALLY what swordgard thinks (no offense swordgard I love you).

Congrats from Argentina.

r3d d09

Smash Master
Best part about this... you know what to expect next time. what to work on. play with music. that's how i don't get psyched out. it works like a charm bro. Grats, i wish i could say i placed that good. . . if i wouldn't have went that is. lol

BlueTerrorist

Smash Ace

A smasher would sell his balls to have this placing. Now come on, you win alot, you're popular,you're #1 with your character, how in hell are you having confidence issues in Smash? Come, pick yourself up and treat yourself to something nice. Out of like 300 people, top 10 is excellent to place in. The only thing you can do is fix your mistakes from Genesis.

Gonna tear up EVO, so much for confidence issues :laugh:. Get out there and show no mercy then. I wanna see people ragequit to a IC :psycho:.

You got evo lain. Dunno why we are like the most hated main now in the brawl community. Everyones happy when i lose in my region now lol. Don't let stuff outside of the game get to you (people cheering against you and stuff). And work on cging those heavies :laugh:
Join the club.

swordgard

Smash Hero
Meh, imo you are pretty much the best ics out there (though meep has been wrecking apparently in his region and stuff), it just seems to me like people overhype you, which can lead to alot of pressure which can lead to **** up. Heck, 9th out of 300ish(284 i believe) is really really good considering the competition that was there(WC had lotsa good players especially due to em being home town), i just believe that if people dont stop seeing you as a perfect ice climbers then we will never get the chance to see you get even better.

Like by cging heavies perfectly like you do on other characters >.<

Dont misunderstand me though, i have mad respect for your tourney placings, its just that people overhyping people can eventually play agaisnt you as seen here

Everyone was expecting me to get top 8 easily. And the honest truth is, that much pressure is hard to realize, and then handle. When I stand in a room full of people, I don't think about how I'm the ****. I think "WHOA wtf there's so-and-so" and get psyched out by other big name players. I know I shouldn't, I just have huge confidence issues.

Id rather instead have everyone working together to improve.

Is there any GENESIS vids of you?

Frankly, i hope you beat ally at evo.

EDIT: Mad props for hylian too placing 25th and showing how quickly hes gotten good at ics.

meepxzero

Smash Master
Yea i dont think swordgard meant to put u down lain. I talk to him a lot about ic strategies and stuff. We both kind of agree the hype behind you is holding you back a little. BUt yea you are the best ic in the world because of how consistent you are with placing high. I still needa prove myself outside of my region =\.

I think you needa drop DDD and just learn to infinite all the heavies. I know hes easier to fall back on, but i believe if you learn all the match ups with ic ur gonna be better all around with them. You might be doing this as we speak because i barely talk to you outside of smashboards, but yea thats just kinda my two cents on this stuff.

Good luck at evo!!!

swordgard

Smash Hero
Yea i dont think swordgard meant to put u down lain. I talk to him a lot about ic strategies and stuff. We both kind of agree the hype behind you is holding you back a little. BUt yea you are the best ic in the world because of how consistent you are with placing high. I still needa prove myself outside of my region =\.

I think you needa drop DDD and just learn to infinite all the heavies. I know hes easier to fall back on, but i believe if you learn all the match ups with ic ur gonna be better all around with them. You might be doing this as we speak because i barely talk to you outside of smashboards, but yea thats just kinda my two cents on this stuff.

Good luck at evo!!!
Exactly my point, you are the best around, but if people make you out to be perfect, then that means we can't see you place even higher, which is what we all want to see, but while staying realistic.

And yeah, good luck at evo.

Gaspa

Smash Cadet
oops, I thought overhype = overestimate

Sorry sword.

Anyway, I add up to the list wanting the Genesis vids, let us know if there's any

Skadorski

// s o n d e r
NNID
Skadorski
Dunno why we are like the most hated main now in the brawl community.
Chaingrab.

Being unable to help yourself from dying is kinda boring.
Thats why i do it :)

Lain you go tear EVO up all ICs all infinites and SHOW EM WHOS BOSS!
Dont do only infinite :mad088:

IxxI

Smash Fence
He CG'd him too 80%-90%. I'm pretty sure that's high enough to get spiked, and even if the Wario miraculously survived he would have been put a really bad position.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
He CG'd him too 80%-90%. I'm pretty sure that's high enough to get spiked, and even if the Wario miraculously survived he would have been put a really bad position.
Wario can live at around 110% from a spike.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Wouldn't the spike still put him in a bad position?
How exactly do you plan on gimping wario with IC's?

Spiking is worthless. It gives your opponents options.

Kill off the top :).

IxxI

Smash Fence
I mean, it won't really gimp Wario, but couldn't you deal some damage as he tries to get back up the stage? That way you have to do less damage for an USmash kill?

swordgard

Smash Hero
I mean, it won't really gimp Wario, but couldn't you deal some damage as he tries to get back up the stage? That way you have to do less damage for an USmash kill?
You do realize that any good player can SDI onto the ledge to not get killed right?

Spike is worthless.

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
Well, actually, if I read your post right Swordgard, Then if they were to fall back on the stage, you could sweetspot a Dsmash for like 40% Then just do whatever you want and kill him. Tis not worthless.

The Filth

Smash Lord
Don't worry about it Lain mang.

You inspired me to take up icies and be the scourge of the UK. If you're worried about fighting big names, realise that yours probably has at least the same amount of fear you have for them, but with the added threat of sticky-handed grabs.

love you honeybunch <3

Gaspa

Smash Cadet
You do realize that any good player can SDI onto the ledge to not get killed right?

Spike is worthless.

I agree with the statement "Spike is worthless". I never spike.

However, I asked this question on the MK thread and nobody answered.

If (for example wario) is at 90%, I think you CAN actually spike him without giving him the possibility to tech or SDI into the ledge. If you use a instant nana's SH and fair, JUST that, no d-throw, he won't be able to tech it. I've tested this myself, but ofcourse I can be wrong.

I'm not saying that it was what lain should've done, AT ALL. Besides, fiction was just in 76%, and anybody who thinks that's a possible spike killing percent, then my advice is: stop playing lvl 9 comps.

Can anybody please answer? thanks

swordgard

Smash Hero

If (for example wario) is at 90%, I think you CAN actually spike him without giving him the possibility to tech or SDI into the ledge. If you use a instant nana's SH and fair, JUST that, no d-throw, he won't be able to tech it. I've tested this myself, but ofcourse I can be wrong.

I'm not saying that it was what lain should've done, AT ALL. Besides, fiction was just in 76%, and anybody who thinks that's a possible spike killing percent, then my advice is: stop playing lvl 9 comps.

I can tell you that you can tech even without dtrow at any percent using solely SDI+DI and probably even land on the stage. If the thing has more than 3 frames of hitlag, which it most certainly does, then it is very doable to do 2 SDI + ASDI which comes with the use of DI making you land of stage. 1 SDI+ ASDI+DI may also actually work alone, i didnt throughly test.

pacmansays

Smash Journeyman
You inspired me to take up icies and be the scourge of the UK. If you're worried about fighting big names, realise that yours probably has at least the same amount of fear you have for them, but with the added threat of sticky-handed grabs.

Yeah, ditto this.....the ice climbers alone can be quite scary to play against and the level you're playing at is terrifying. Your name probably creates a lot of fear too

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103

I was the first person to bring the NT spike to peoples attention which is what you are talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djNfGzj56eU

You can still DI that spike onto the stage, though it's harder.

Gaspa

Smash Cadet
I can tell you that you can tech even without dtrow at any percent using solely SDI+DI and probably even land on the stage. If the thing has more than 3 frames of hitlag, which it most certainly does, then it is very doable to do 2 SDI + ASDI which comes with the use of DI making you land of stage. 1 SDI+ ASDI+DI may also actually work alone, i didnt throughly test.
Thank you for answering !!

Sorry If I'm not good as you in the game. I don't know exactly the term of ASDI. If you are talking about the distance you teleport while DI'ing (not SDI'ng) then I am doing it already (though It appears this distance is not that great as SDI).

BUT, you made me realise a good point (you might already know). If at the time where you are frozen while being hit, meaning the zelda's kick thing (sorry I don't know the proper terms) you pressed up, up left, and then hold left, (like rotating the analog stick) if done correctly, you should SDI up, SDI up left, and DI left (or SDI AND DI left maybe if done amazingly right, which probably won't happen, cause you are risking being too early, which is MUCH WORSE in this case than being late, I'm sure YOU will know why so I won't explain it.), while SDI'ing in an upwards and leftwards direction. Which means in distance terms: 1 and 1/2 SDI UPWARDS TELEPORT, and 1 complete SDI left (half of it during the up-left SDI, the other half (or similar to a half) done without your consent while DI'ing) which is what you need: to go MAINLY UPWARDS with a little LEFTWARDS in order to DI LEFT into the stage.

I will try that later, I was just using one SDI using c-stick and holding the analog stick left to DI.

Also, any pro at DI'ing would help. Cause I ALWAYS thought that this spike would be useful if unteachable and unavoidable at high percents vs heavyweights when playing with a high ceiling.

Thanks sword

****EDIT: Hylian answered while I was typing.

So it is DI-able... what a shame. (I was trying it farther from the stage than your video though)

Thanks hylian.

swordgard

Smash Hero
You are right about everything except 1 thing which is completely unrelated to ics.

Zeldas kick cannot be SDI-ed, for some reason it puts you into faux hitlag, aka weird sort of hitlag where you cannot SDI. Also the case for marths tippers.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
I actually prefer just meteor canceling the spike than getting on stage. If you SDI it on stage the ICs can smash/aerial/read and grab/whatever... whereas offstage (as Wario at least), is a much safer place to be vs Climbers...

And yeah, Wario can meteor cancel around 110 and still make it back comfortably.

swordgard

Smash Hero
I actually prefer just meteor canceling the spike than getting on stage. If you SDI it on stage the ICs can smash/aerial/read and grab/whatever... whereas offstage (as Wario at least), is a much safer place to be vs Climbers...

And yeah, Wario can meteor cancel around 110 and still make it back comfortably.
Oh i agree, but the fact is that not everyone can do this. Even say vs falco, he could still avoid the spike using his SDI,

Top Bottom