• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

6-4 Matchup 27: - November 30th, 2013 - Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Bing

Smash Master
Btw Linksta said he's probably going :p

and Yes David, get hype! Tin Man has to do commentary with you though :p

Anyone wanna team for this, Nick probably isnt coming and last time I didnt get to enter teams :(

Summonedfist

Smash Lord
it full last time. it fits a whole 3 cars... quite disappointing lol

i asked the owner if he could do anything or like refund part of my venue to pay for parking and he's just like "well i can't provide free parking for everyone" LOL what a guy, making so much off venue fees in the tourney anyways probably made $400+

Tin Man

Smash Hero
it full last time. it fits a whole 3 cars... quite disappointing lol

i asked the owner if he could do anything or like refund part of my venue to pay for parking and he's just like "well i can't provide free parking for everyone" LOL what a guy, making so much off venue fees in the tourney anyways probably made $400+
That's unfortunate bro, but you can't blame A&C for that.

-The fact that they even offer free parking in the 1st place is a privilege, not a right
-Doesn't matter how much they make. It's their apart of their business strategy to charge based off of attendance. This has it's strengths and it's flaws cause by the same logic, if they didn't make a lot of money from a tourney, the players would have to compensate them for their losses? Dat ain't proper yo.

Kason Birdman

Smash Champion
I've always wondered what that little icon that represents smash researchers is...

it looks... either like rosalina or like a christmas tree... care to enlighten me tin?

_eternal

Smash Apprentice
It's one of those chemistry thingies. Not the cylinders, the other ones. but more importantly...

>rosalina

holy crap cannot unsee

Summonedfist

Smash Lord
That's unfortunate bro, but you can't blame A&C for that.

-The fact that they even offer free parking in the 1st place is a privilege, not a right
-Doesn't matter how much they make. It's their apart of their business strategy to charge based off of attendance. This has it's strengths and it's flaws cause by the same logic, if they didn't make a lot of money from a tourney, the players would have to compensate them for their losses? Dat ain't proper yo.
-if they want continued attendance from ppl who drive 1+ hours to get to a venue to play, they should try. i never said it was a right, it is a priveledge but they should emphasize the fact that they don't have a parking lot. it's been passed around as "free parking in front of the store"... it wouldn't be as attractive to have them say "free parking for the first 3 arrivals" -- $400+ is more than enough to compensate for some parking

-i totally understand it's business strategy. but tbh, if they were smart they wouldn't open an arcade on spadina. there's no need to compensate for their losses either. it's not $400 worth of electricity we're using, and they didn't close off the venue to specifically us. sure they had more setups for us, but they could have easily kept their business running. $400+ is probably more than they make on a daily basis anyways, i don't think it's everyday they get 40+ attendance (a crowded basement).

i'm not trying to sound like unreasonable, but they could be more reasonable with understanding parking difficulties on one of the more busy streets in all of toronto; afterall it's got chinatown and 3 cam****es.

also, i understand there was a parking area/garage some blocks behind the venue. but when i asked the guys running the event about parking alternatives, they failed to suggest anything worthwhile. they simply said they couldn't do anything about it. i heard about the parking areas from other players but i needed directions

Tin Man

Smash Hero
-if they want continued attendance from ppl who drive 1+ hours to get to a venue to play, they should try. i never said it was a right, it is a priveledge but they should emphasize the fact that they don't have a parking lot. it's been passed around as "free parking in front of the store"... it wouldn't be as attractive to have them say "free parking for the first 3 arrivals" -- $400+ is more than enough to compensate for some parking

-i totally understand it's business strategy. but tbh, if they were smart they wouldn't open an arcade on spadina. there's no need to compensate for their losses either. it's not $400 worth of electricity we're using, and they didn't close off the venue to specifically us. sure they had more setups for us, but they could have easily kept their business running. $400+ is probably more than they make on a daily basis anyways, i don't think it's everyday they get 40+ attendance (a crowded basement).

i'm not trying to sound like unreasonable, but they could be more reasonable with understanding parking difficulties on one of the more busy streets in all of toronto; afterall it's got chinatown and 3 cam****es.

also, i understand there was a parking area/garage some blocks behind the venue. but when i asked the guys running the event about parking alternatives, they failed to suggest anything worthwhile. they simply said they couldn't do anything about it. i heard about the parking areas from other players but i needed directions
-Well they are trying to to accommodate people driving in, but yes they possibly could word it better. Then again, everything anyone does could be done better lol. And it could be worse, they could not allow anyone to park in front of the store at all lol.

-They have their shop on spadina. For what reasons they put it there, who knows, perhaps the location was convenient, or that's what was available, etc. A&C World being 2 doors down is convenient for their shop since it's easy to walk between the 2. How beneficial that is compared to the available parking spaces, iunno. However, I'd guess it's beyond worth it.

The following paragraph removes any sort of emotion from the equation and is based completely on objective reasoning:

The "compensate for their losses" was exploiting a flaw in your argument. The 1st of all, your main point is that they make a lot of money, which is an emotional appeal really. "Because one was unfortunate enough to not acquire a parking space, the venue should compensate due to their misfortune". An appeal to pity. The 2nd thing is that an appeal to pity works both ways. We don't know the numbers exactly but lets assume we're using $250 of electricity (for the sake of argument). They would need at least 25 people to break even. If they got 15 people, then for the sake of consistency, those 15 people would have to pay out more than just $10 per person to compensate for their losses in a similar fashion that they would compensate for ours if they made more than enough money. And lastly, given the category of your loss (being transportation), then that means everyone you spent something to reach the venue should be compensated. Theres no special treatment as everyone is equal.

/objectiveness

It may not be everyday that they get 40+ people but they pull in 50+ people on a weekly basis just for TTT (Toronto Top Tiers) and capcom game casuals on Wednesdays. I don't know how people get to these as I've never attended one myself, but I assume a lot of people drive (being an older scene and stuff) and given the truth of that statement, it's safe to assume there isn't parking for everyone. Iunno how many people attempt to make an appeal to pity about it, but A&C still seems to get constant attendance at those casuals. A&C even attempts to help by adding an extra 2 hours to those casual sessions.

I don't drive to A&C so I can't exactly say I understand how you feel, but I'd hope that parking isn't that big of an issue to make you not want to reach this Saturday.

& happy thanks giving weekend :).

Summonedfist

Smash Lord
-Well they are trying to to accommodate people driving in, but yes they possibly could word it better. Then again, everything anyone does could be done better lol. And it could be worse, they could not allow anyone to park in front of the store at all lol.

-They have their shop on spadina. For what reasons they put it there, who knows, perhaps the location was convenient, or that's what was available, etc. A&C World being 2 doors down is convenient for their shop since it's easy to walk between the 2. How beneficial that is compared to the available parking spaces, iunno. However, I'd guess it's beyond worth it.

The following paragraph removes any sort of emotion from the equation and is based completely on objective reasoning:

The "compensate for their losses" was exploiting a flaw in your argument. The 1st of all, your main point is that they make a lot of money, which is an emotional appeal really. "Because one was unfortunate enough to not acquire a parking space, the venue should compensate due to their misfortune". An appeal to pity. The 2nd thing is that an appeal to pity works both ways. We don't know the numbers exactly but lets assume we're using $250 of electricity (for the sake of argument). They would need at least 25 people to break even. If they got 15 people, then for the sake of consistency, those 15 people would have to pay out more than just $10 per person to compensate for their losses in a similar fashion that they would compensate for ours if they made more than enough money. And lastly, given the category of your loss (being transportation), then that means everyone you spent something to reach the venue should be compensated. Theres no special treatment as everyone is equal.

/objectiveness

It may not be everyday that they get 40+ people but they pull in 50+ people on a weekly basis just for TTT (Toronto Top Tiers) and capcom game casuals on Wednesdays. I don't know how people get to these as I've never attended one myself, but I assume a lot of people drive (being an older scene and stuff) and given the truth of that statement, it's safe to assume there isn't parking for everyone. Iunno how many people attempt to make an appeal to pity about it, but A&C still seems to get constant attendance at those casuals. A&C even attempts to help by adding an extra 2 hours to those casual sessions.

I don't drive to A&C so I can't exactly say I understand how you feel, but I'd hope that parking isn't that big of an issue to make you not want to reach this Saturday.

& happy thanks giving weekend :).
lmao there's no need to precaution the whole emotion -_-

I'm not too keen on getting philosophical and spending time writing a rebuttal, but the appeal to pity is really the only thing worth debating over at this point. They could easily continue to refuse and not care about players driving in to play, since they could easily make up for the attendance by local players. I'll end this debate since in the end, it comes down to them just not worrying about the few that drive in, and relying on revenue on the more consistent locals.

The fact that you said "everything everyone does better could be done better" contradicts what you said about the special treatment. The potential reimbursement for parking that I was asking about was simply to compensate for their "free parking" statement. They don't say that "it's free bussing/taxi'ing to game here" etc, so however else other people travelled should be expecting to make those costs. I'm not asking for gas money, that's my own commitment. What I wasn't expected to commit to was parking.

The flaw in your argument is the arbitrary numbers that you'd probably need an engineer to determine. The 15 people wouldn't have to pay more to compensate for the bills, it'd probably be proportional. Smaller turnout = faster tourney = less games needed to be played = less electricity being used. Less people showing up would also mean less friendlies. Go ahead to get all business-like now though and argue my point otherwise about their whole marketing strategy lol

Happy thanksgiving to you too :)

Tin Man

Smash Hero
lmao there's no need to precaution the whole emotion -_-

I'm not too keen on getting philosophical and spending time writing a rebuttal, but the appeal to pity is really the only thing worth debating over at this point. They could easily continue to refuse and not care about players driving in to play, since they could easily make up for the attendance by local players. I'll end this debate since in the end, it comes down to them just not worrying about the few that drive in, and relying on revenue on the more consistent locals.

The fact that you said "everything everyone does better could be done better" contradicts what you said about the special treatment. The potential reimbursement for parking that I was asking about was simply to compensate for their "free parking" statement. They don't say that "it's free bussing/taxi'ing to game here" etc, so however else other people travelled should be expecting to make those costs. I'm not asking for gas money, that's my own commitment. What I wasn't expected to commit to was parking.

The flaw in your argument is the arbitrary numbers that you'd probably need an engineer to determine. The 15 people wouldn't have to pay more to compensate for the bills, it'd probably be proportional. Smaller turnout = faster tourney = less games needed to be played = less electricity being used. Less people showing up would also mean less friendlies. Go ahead to get all business-like now though and argue my point otherwise about their whole marketing strategy lol

Happy thanksgiving to you too :)
Makes more sense now, especially your 2nd paragraph. I see where the motive for this is coming from, and I can't disagree with it. I personally wouldn't say they don't care about out of city players but they can do something about it, and it gives me something to think about when advertising tourneys at this venue. So thanks bro :bee:.

Windrose

Smash Lord
Is there any place near by that has cheap all day parking? The parking meter parallel to the street is not good for all day parking.

Bing

Smash Master
Btw this is directed at the better more experienced players(Ryan, Bernard, Camilo, James, kyle etc.) I was wondering if I could sit down with one of you guys for awhile, play and get some tips, I dont really learn much from posts on the boards as opposed to actual hands on playing :p

Riddlebox

Smash Journeyman
Btw this is directed at the better more experienced players(Ryan, Bernard, James, kyle etc.) I was wondering if I could sit down with one of you guys for awhile, play and get some tips, I dont really learn much from posts on the boards as opposed to actual hands on playing :p

I'm still learning, and I am far from experienced; however I'll be glad to sit down and play with you to give you my own speculation.

idea

Smash Master
Btw this is directed at the better more experienced players(Ryan, Bernard, Camilo, James, kyle etc.) I was wondering if I could sit down with one of you guys for awhile, play and get some tips, I dont really learn much from posts on the boards as opposed to actual hands on playing :p
yeah sure, whenever i see you next, but out of those 5 i'm definitely not the best at giving advice.

Summonedfist

Smash Lord
Makes more sense now, especially your 2nd paragraph. I see where the motive for this is coming from, and I can't disagree with it. I personally wouldn't say they don't care about out of city players but they can do something about it, and it gives me something to think about when advertising tourneys at this venue. So thanks bro :bee:.
glad we're at some agreement here =p

Is there any place near by that has cheap all day parking? The parking meter parallel to the street is not good for all day parking.
says the guy who hogged the spot last time lol. jkjk.

i asked the guys running the place, they didn't suggest anything. josh however found some garage that's a bit cheaper than meter. i don't know where it is though. it's apparently close by.

edit: mike are you for sure going?

sauc3

Smash Lord
i got blocked in last time i parked in the A n C spot, someone blocked the driveway and it was 11pm. I had to drive down the sidewalk and off the curb. Good times.

Top Bottom