• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Friendly, Mature Reminder

M.K

Level 55
With the recent delegation of "the most up to date competitive site anywhere" from the Official Super Smash Bros. Brawl Prima Guide, you can be sure we will have a fairly large influx of new users. We can all complain about this, and yes, it will be a burden, but holding this title, we must think of it like being awarded. We have to be respectful to the new users, we can't (dare I say it) act the way we act now in some heated threads. It's obvious that there is alot of tension on these boards, whether it be debating Melee and Brawl, or the always present skirmish between competitive players and non-competitive players. There is also a strong intellect level that doesn't always show, but it's still present. Respect enables people to work together in a complimentary fashion, instead of each person having to understand or even agree with each other everytime, respect isvery important to communities because it helps people to get along and have intelligent conversations.

Threads that might appear in the next coming weeks:
Best Item to Use?
How do I play ________ correctly?
What is ________ and how do I do it?
What is your favorite __________?
ETC..........

There are right and wrong answers to these threads, and I don't mean correct and incorrect. I mean respectful and rude comments. For example:

Best/Worst Answers you could give to above threads:

"Best Item to Use"

RIGHT: I like the _________ because ______________. However, competitive players might not use items due to their random spawn rates and ability to unfairly tip the favor in one character's direction. I could explain more if you like.

WRONG: Stupid n00b! We don't use items, items are gay/********/racial slur/religious slur, you should not play with items. You suck if you play with items. There are like a billion threads on this stupid topic, Go back to GameFaqs!!! INB4 LOCK

"How Do I Play ________ Correctly?"

RIGHT: One of the better strategies for ________ would be _____________. If you use the little scroll down menu in the bottom right hand corner of the page, you can see the "Character Discussions" boards. They usually have the best strategies!

WRONG: LOL they suck, you can't play as _______. You should play as __________. They are better and faster and stronger and jump higher, and you probably suck anyways so just give up. Go back to Gamefaqs. *FACEPALM*

"What is _________ and how do I do it?"

RIGHT: ____________ is ______________. If you have any questions, you could send a private message to one of the skillful players such as _______ or ________ and I'm sure they'd be glad to help you more!

WRONG: WTF, you don't know how to do that? God, it's obvious you don't play competitively, stupid competitive people, stupid casual people, go back to gamefaqs you noob. I can't believe you suck that bad. INB4 BAN NUB!

"What is your favorite _________"

RIGHT: I like __________ because ____________. Some other topics may have been created that are similar to this, so don't feel bad if people don't post here! Check out some of the other "favorites", I'm sure you can find other people with your favorites!

WRONG: I don't like ____________ because they suck and you suck too. You can't play with them at all and they are weak and they can't jump and they are slow and you suck and hell and **** and **** and **** you all. Competitive players rule/suck, Casual players rule/suck

I'm just saying, you would be totally surprised how fast newcomers can get turned away from these forums. Some of the arrogance and rudeness levels need to lower and the intelligence, maturity, respect levels need to rise. If you need a real world example, go to the Melee>Brawl thread. Someone just posted something along the lines of "I came here expecting a friendly community, guess that's not the case"

If someone posts there very first post as a thread, remember to GREET THEM, WELCOME THEM, RESPECT THEM, and ANSWER THEM​

Thank you for reading, and I hope you take this into account. Please do good for Smash World Forums. The players are counting on us, we can't let them down, put them down, or drag them down. Newcomers, veterans and even moderators of Smashboards (who I thank for getting this far into my semi-rant) let's clean up a little and be respectful to the possible new influx of players. Thank you so much for reading, have a nice day!

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Wait, we're listed in the Prima Brawl guide? That's pretty cool.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
My favorite part is when the mod came in missed the point entirely.

<3 Mic.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
What, you mean the "Don't be complete *******es and answer the questions people ask in a nice way without being jerks?"

Believe me, it's not me who's missed the point there.

Good topic. But I think your message might fall on deaf ears.

Let's hope people are smarter than the first guy that posted here. >.>

Corigames

Smash Hero
So... because people have an inate ability to avoid search buttons and any form of lurking, we have to accomidate them in every way possible? I don't think so. I believe that, as long as I'm following the ToU, I can say whatever strikes my fancy. If a new person says "How do I play ____," I'm going to say "GB2 Character specific n00b!" What I find that I feel is going to be said will.

When you become a moderator, then you can enforce moral, but, as of right now, suggesting this is just a waste of space, an instigation for arguments, and, perhaps, unnecessary use of data.

blerb

Smash Journeyman
So... because people have an inate ability to avoid search buttons and any form of lurking, we have to accomidate them in every way possible? I don't think so. I believe that, as long as I'm following the ToU, I can say whatever strikes my fancy. If a new person says "How do I play ____," I'm going to say "GB2 Character specific n00b!" What I find that I feel is going to be said will.

When you become a moderator, then you can enforce moral, but, as of right now, suggesting this is just a waste of space, an instigation for arguments, and, perhaps, unnecessary use of data.
that doesn't mean you have to be a **** towards them. you could answer them and then say "use the search button next time", because if you be a complete ******* it'll start spreading around and scare others away.

Corigames

Smash Hero
it'll start spreading around and scare others away.
I'm trying to find what's bad about this. If people are unable to be on the internet without being personally attacked and are yet aggravated enough to run away from a forum board AND tell others not to go, then they have no business posting there.

Should we be ***** for no reason? I can't answer that, because for some people it doesn't matter and while, for others, it is a direct no! Besides, I think that while people are being complete jerks, there are plenty of other people willing to counter that with only informative and friendly posts. Last, I think that if you can't take the heat...

2L84U

Smash Journeyman
I'm trying to find what's bad about this. If people are unable to be on the internet without being personally attacked and are yet aggravated enough to run away from a forum board AND tell others not to go, then they have no business posting there.

Should we be ***** for no reason? I can't answer that, because for some people it doesn't matter and while, for others, it is a direct no! Besides, I think that while people are being complete jerks, there are plenty of other people willing to counter that with only informative and friendly posts. Last, I think that if you can't take the heat...
You will loose the most precious resource on the internet - people.
Not everybody have their flameshields on stand-by you know.
Just give a chance to our future pillars :)

Mr. M

Smash Journeyman
Pensacola, FL Wargh! King Dedede, how dare you be
Nobody is going to take this to heart. We are going to have the same problems we always have. Hell, if this keeps up, we might as well implement selective board bannings. Ban users from certain boards if they exhibit certain behavior, to prevent more problems.

Still, this is probably the best thread I've ever seen since I've signed up. For both a good topic and OP, and the lulz afterward.

psyt

Smash Journeyman
this topic is totally gay/racial slur!

i mean, i guess? i dont no, meh

Darkslash

Smash Master
Ya know i can give out Flame shields if you want :laugh:

Any ways. This shows how mature people can be to newbs.

But really I hate n00bs they just say they are the best and can't beat level 7 CPU's:laugh:

Tabris-

Smash Apprentice

But really I hate n00bs they just say they are the best and can't beat level 7 CPU's:laugh:
You're one of the few people I've ever seen on a forum make a distinction between a newbie and noob. Good one :)

Also, regarding the OP's post. It kinda goes without saying. You'll get the odd elitist arse hole who will be like "DURRR HURRR, I am better than you at a vidya gaem so I'm a better person", but I'm sure there are plenty of nice people around who'll guide any newbies in the right direction :)

xl Lan lx

Smash Apprentice
Free flame shields for everyone!

In a thread like this, trolls love to flock to it and say how stupid it is and unnecessary it is. However, although I think it's a good topic and all, most people who act like the WRONG examples in your first post likely won't change as that is their personality. Of course, it might work on someone. :)

Red Dragon

Smash Lord
I guess for some people it's hard to be respectful to anyone and everyone.

"Don't do to others what you wouldn't want them to do to you."

Papapaint

Just your average kind of Luigi.

Quite simply, one of the following situations may occur:

They have discovered an old technique, but don't know the name.

They want to know more about a technique, but don't know the name.

They don't fully understand how forums work.

More specifically, they don't understand how this forum works.

Or they just want to mess with you because you're a *******.

matthewdw94*

Smash Apprentice

I remember on insiders there was a noob that posted a video of him vs a lvl seven bowser and he wanted to be rated. lol

Awesomethreat

Smash Cadet
It's nice to see that some people are taking initiative to be polite to newcomers...
Although to be mentioned in the guide is pretty cool.

brawlmaniac

Smash Lord
This thread is right guys. It's not hard to be respectful and intelligent toward newer members. Like the thread said, we cannot be rude or hostile toward the newbies. Treat them with respect and they'll stay. If you treat them rudely, they will not be back.

Attractive Penguin

Smash Apprentice
Funny how some people feel the need to justify why they're allowed to be *******s to new members.
Should most new members know how to navigate and read forums? Yes.
Does that mean you should blast on one if their first post is in the wrong forum? Hell no.
There's always the group of people who'll take this place as "My First Forum". Be polite, be respectful, and if they lash out at you, then tear into them.

Kazuya

Smash Journeyman
Aww, what a little boy scout you are. Here, do you want a merit for posting this ultimately pointless topic?
Ali G sayz u iz a ***got.

To sensible guy:

Very good thread and good point too.

Why hate when we can appreciate? More new comers=more potential good smashers.

Thingy Person

Smash Journeyman
Funny how some people feel the need to justify why they're allowed to be *******s to new members.
Should most new members know how to navigate and read forums? Yes.
Does that mean you should blast on one if their first post is in the wrong forum? Hell no.
There's always the group of people who'll take this place as "My First Forum". Be polite, be respectful, and if they lash out at you, then tear into them.
I can't help but agree to this post. Mass popularity of the subject and "being the best place to go" to talk about it is what made Kingdom Hearts Insider a cesspool of ten year old boys complaining about random boners, borderline spam and "wuts ur favurit karaktur" threads.
Seperate the newbs from the n00bs. The way I see it, Smashboards is NOT the first place to go for talking about Brawl. Idle chat doesn't belong here, so boot out anyone who can't enrich the forum.

S623

Smash Apprentice
I would like to applaud the OP for posting a mature and thoughtful topic.

Admittedly, if I see the same topic 7 times in an hour, I might start to be crazy pissed.

Kazuya

Smash Journeyman
I can't help but agree to this post. Mass popularity of the subject and "being the best place to go" to talk about it is what made Kingdom Hearts Insider a cesspool of ten year old boys complaining about random boners, borderline spam and "wuts ur favurit karaktur" threads.
Seperate the newbs from the n00bs. The way I see it, Smashboards is NOT the first place to go for talking about Brawl. Idle chat doesn't belong here, so boot out anyone who can't enrich the forum.
I can't help but disagree with this post. The mass popularity of the world agree your a ****. As you forget that you once were a n00b/newb/boob too.

I remember my first forum was TCGForums, I'd ask idiotic questions like 'whoz ur fave guy?' an etc tooo, but after a few helpful posts here an there I learned my way.

If u seriously think ur better than everyone then go to www.ImASmashEliteAnd***got.com

you'll fit perfectly there, cuz over here we're trying to seperate the smashers from the ***gots.

Sorry mate - but you brought it onto yourself.

This forum is for anyone who likes SMASH.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Aww, what a little boy scout you are. Here, do you want a merit for posting this ultimately pointless topic?
GANNON BAN!

kazuya said:
can't help but disagree with this post. The mass popularity of the world agree your a ****. As you forget that you once were a n00b/newb/boob too
I remember my first forum was TCGForums, I'd ask idiotic questions like 'whoz ur fave guy?' an etc tooo, but after a few helpful posts here an there I learned my way.

If u seriously think ur better than everyone then go to www.ImASmashEliteAnd***got.com

you'll fit perfectly there, cuz over here we're trying to seperate the smashers from the ***gots.

Sorry mate - but you brought it onto yourself.

This forum is for anyone who likes SMASH.
I can't help but disagree but let me call you a little ****?
How do you start off sounding reasonable then basically make your entire post a flame?
You got out and you start insulting the guy for his opinion so how does that make you any better than him? If anything you're the ****head not him so you might as well follow your own link to the sit you mentioned and go there since you clearly believe yourself better than him/her.

Anyways replying to the OP
the main reason for the rudeness is the same topics that do nothing but basically spam up the place.

Idiotic questions iike 'WHoz UR FAVRITE cARACTER' aren't an issue but it does tend to be an issue when you post it in a character forum.

WHO IS MAINING LINK? i've seen that in the link character forum. Who is maining sonic/Ike all in the same forum where that particular character is discussed. Unnecessary and is better saved for general discussion or regular character discussion.

it isn't that the little stupid threads occur every now and then but that they occur several times every few hours.It just boggles my mind as to how people can't scroll down and see the same topics on the same page.

I do agree that people should be more courteous because everyone was a newb at one point.The problem is that people start to lose their patience because when the question has been answered, you have 50 other people making separate topics about the same thing, especially when said topics are all on the same page.
That and you have people that question the competitive scene and the onrush of n00bs who feel they are within the right to flame anyone that disagrees with them.

XxLunar_KnightxX

Smash Rookie
erm yup i'm a newb, and i have to admit that strategy guide is what led me to this site... but hey, not my first forum, and i'll find my way around soon enough. i gotta say though, acting like you were born playing the most hardcore fighting games and were never a newb like myself has got to be the most idiotic thing on this planet. Kazuya, i can tell, is anexample f the right attitude: "I remember my first forum was TCGForums, I'd ask idiotic questions like 'whoz ur fave guy?' an etc tooo, but after a few helpful posts here an there I learned my way." Thingy person is just trying to make himself look big and bad: "The way I see it, Smashboards is NOT the first place to go for talking about Brawl. Idle chat doesn't belong here, so boot out anyone who can't enrich the forum." the internet belongs to nobody, and dont act like it does.

Top Bottom