• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A GENERIC TOURNAMENT 9000+: Melee, Brawl+, Jan 3rd, MAJOR UPDATE

Teebs

Smash Champion
NNID
Teebs-kun
I just don't get why people are trying to make brawl more like melee, when you can just play melee instead and not have the hastle. Whatever, I guess.
Why not make it like that? You just have more characters then! I'm interested to see how Lucas, Lucario, and Sonic play with a semi-Melee engine! Just have a lot of fun! You obviously have not been to a Kish / Ship-run tournament. They are like NO other. Definitely the best run tournament you'll ever be to.

Oh yeah, put me down for this.

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
Man, I didnt even get a post on page 1. I must be getting rusty.

KishSquared

Smash Master
I just don't get why people are trying to make brawl more like melee, when you can just play melee instead and not have the hastle. Whatever, I guess.
Why play a 7 year old game when you can play a 1 year old game?

Melee will never be replaced. That doesn't mean we can haxor Brawl and have fun doing it!

Revven

FrankerZ
KishPrime, you should use the new histun code for this tourney as well as any other new codes that come out and shiz, you gots plenty of time to wait for other good shiz to be out for Brawl+.

KishSquared

Smash Master
We'll be providing codes for use next weekend, after we get a chance to play with it. But we'll definitely adopt improved codes as they come out.

For anyone that wants to know how to get Brawl+, there are plenty of threads on the subject. Run a search for it and you'll find it.

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
FC = Friend Code
No wait, Final Cutter.
FC = For Cash, right?

Do any ohio (canton) people have rides availible? I kind of want to try out brawl +, but I seriously doubt I'll like it more than melee. I have done all the update things on the wii, so I don't think I can haxx0r... FCD was my first tournament because I used to be a n00b who thought that the tournaments on the tournament calendar were the only tournaments. lol. Man, I sucked so much then (I'm still not too good, but I'm improving), but I had so much fun. Melee is too good. I didn't go to any other tournaments until brawl came out because I didn't want to waste my time getting good at a game that would be obsolete. Then brawl sucked, so I still play melee XD.

Blood_Hawk

Smash Lord
Why not make it like that? You just have more characters then! I'm interested to see how Lucas, Lucario, and Sonic play with a semi-Melee engine!
Non-attacking recovery with crazy L-canceling aerials bearing down on him? Luc is kind of slow to begin with as far as aerials go. And momentum stopping dair is not too favorable either.. He is gonna be sucktastic from what I gather. *Shudders*

I'll most likely still come, if there isn't a semi decent Brawl tourney happening on this date. I do have a rad Falco going as a secondary, and ICs will L-cancels will be crazy. It will be fun seeing everyone again as well.

Teebs

Smash Champion
NNID
Teebs-kun
I just played Brawl+ today, and it's kinda cool, but nothing special. This should still be a fun tournament!

jeffgordon24

Smash Rookie
I hax0red my Wii today and tried it. It's a lot of fun, and I haven't been to any competitive Smash for ages, it would be fun as long as it doesn't cost a lot of money. I don't like paying lots of money to lose and just pay the best three players.

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
they should make codes to give spot dodges and rolls more lag

then lucario would be complete garbage
2 words

SHIELD STUN

I want it. Shield grabbing shall no longer be top tier! But what am I saying, I'd rather just play melee.

EDIT: I also want no auto sweet spotting of the ledge....

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
wow, that was actually kinda funny. The terrible acting makes it even funnier. But I don't think that rests being too easy is a problem...

Zjiin

Smash Master
Subscribed. Melee sounds awesome and Brawl+ sounds.... okay.

[EDIT] Don't get me wrong, I think doing the hacked tourney is interesting, I just majorly dislike Brawl haha.

KishSquared

Smash Master
Sounds great Zjiin! It'll be interesting to see if people like or dislike Brawl+ in tourney play. I have a feeling it's going to go over great though.

Also, Joshu jumped the gun and uploaded a low-quality version of the promo vid. Higher quality version is coming.

Teebs

Smash Champion
NNID
Teebs-kun
Sweet, HD makes everything better! BTW, Tim, seeing you wear the MELEE-FCD staff shirt reminded me, I still haven't gotten mine ^_^ lol.

IkeKillsAll

Smash Cadet
I might b there, is brawl+ really much different because I haven't ever played so I don't really plan on getting screwed over by a hack i didn't know wuz there :p and some1 private message me a friends code, I need some good opponents

KishSquared

Smash Master
Actually, we'll install the codes on each console so there's no chance of someone haxoring in their own codes.

And yeah, we should get our codes posted. For quick reference, the codes being used are:
- SSBM Airdodge v2
- S-canceling
- Hitstun = X% (% TBD)
- No Tripping
- Unlimited replays

KishSquared

Smash Master
Oh yes, that too. I'd seriously leave that on there if it didn't result in lockups when people died :/

We'll be using the RAWRizard code, though. I forgot to mention that. RAWRizard lets you play as a single Pokemon throughout a match rather than being required to switch. Normal PT players rejoice, you can still play the normal PT.

EDIT: I'm not hearing much about people bringing hacked setups. Are there really none out there?

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Have you guys pegged the codes you will be using for Brawl+? I'm thinking you need to have the list done soon considering people should have time to practice with your code set. BTW, my permissions are fixed so I can post here! I can also talk about Brawl+ codes and stuff without people telling me that 10% is not enough stun! YAY!

KishSquared

Smash Master
Haha... I just sent the codes to Prime, he should be editing them into the first post shortly.

Also, we're going to do 5% hitstun for now. 10% seems a tad too much. This is the first Brawl+ tourney, so we'll see how it goes and adjust accordingly.

MuBa

Smash Lord
Good stuff man. I really would like to see how Brawl+ fares in a tournament. Man I wish the STL crew would try this game out more but it's just that they have this mindset about having a hacked game in a tournament is a ridiculous idea and a sin.

Zjiin

Smash Master
Since the hitstun property in competitve play is still basically new, will the % remain standard in the tourney despite what happens? I mean, if someone finds a way to exploit it to the point of guaranteed 0-death, would you consider changing the %?

This is a very highly unlikely scenario, considering you guys will be testing it out beforehand. I just want to know how familiar the TOs will be with the hacks with each character and how a situation like this would be handled.

/end devil advocation.

Count

Smash Champion
How much at a disadvantage will I be at if I come having not ever played brawl+ before? It sounds fun and I am free that day, but I don't know how different it is having never played.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
I mean, if someone finds a way to exploit it to the point of guaranteed 0-death, would you consider changing the %?
I guarantee that there won't be any 0 to deaths with 5%. Honestly, 10% was just a tad bit too much, and you couldn't do anything that crazy on it. Most characters don't seem have suitable aerials to finish combos with anyways.

How much at a disadvantage will I be at if I come having not ever played brawl+ before? It sounds fun and I am free that day, but I don't know how different it is having never played.
You'd be at a pretty big disadvantage. Most of the brawl strats still work, but S-canceling, MAD, and what have you affect things quite a bit and you need to be used to them before you enter.

@Kishes
Is Meta broke at 5% or is he about the same? I know at 10% you guys said he was, but seeing the big drop down to 5% I'm thinking that it might not be so bad.

Also, I was thinking about doing a t-shirt design for this. Nothing crazy like the FC shirts, but I was thinking something along the lines of a type based design. I don't think I could produce the shirts from the place that I used back in the day, cause they like stuff way, way in advance. If you are interested, PM me about it.

Top Bottom