• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Little Something to Discuss

Cooper736

Smash Journeyman
I'm hoping this will go over well, since this is my first thread in the Ganon section, and I want to make a helpful thread.

Okay, so on another forum of mine, leafgreen386 posted this Gimpyfish video, which you may or may not have seen before. If you haven't seen it, I suggest you watch it. If you cannot watch YouTube, I'll summarize: Gimpyfish's message is to recognize your characters weaknesses and look to them in your gameplay, as opposed to merely capitalizing on the strengths. For Ganon, this would mean thinking more about your slowbutt running speed than how awesome autocancelled Dairs are. So what I want to discuss here is what exactly are Ganon's poor qualities (he's got more than the ones that immediately come to mind, anyway), and what are the best ways to make up for them. If this thread is as successful as I'm hoping it is, I'll update the OP with (new) problems and solutions.

Ganon: Problems and Solutions
Slowbutt speed:
Ganon is very slow. However, he was gifted with a speedy Flame Choke, moderately fast Wizard's Foot, and quick Dash attack, all of which take little effort to start and to hit with.

Your turn. Go.

dlen06

Smash Apprentice
Problem:
Trouble against campers

Solution(s):
Stage selection(i.e. knowing which stages to ban, and which stages ganondorf can use to his advantage.)
I'm not sure about his best stages, but my favorites for ganondorf are battlefield and norfair(which i'm not sure is allowed at tourney's.) Feel free to add anything because stage selection could be discussed in much greater depth.

Learning how to combat a camper with g-dorf is very important, because you will most likely face a lot of them. Practice and experience will show you how to avoid projectiles for certain characters.

Use platforms to advance toward the enemy, and I try to always be level or lower than my opponent before attacking. I find that the advantage with priority and such in brawl usually goes to the lower man.

If you're stuck on a map like final destination, the only thing that can help ganny against campers is timing your rolls, jumps, and shields perfectly. Your probably going to get soem damage though. If the projectile doesn't have any stun, like fox, sometimes i roll or jump as close as possible and rush headlong into it. Probably not the best strategy, but sometimes it works.

Discuss.

Deck Knight

Smash Rookie
I
Ganon: Problems and Solutions
Slowbutt speed:
Ganon is very slow. However, he was gifted with a speedy Flame Choke, moderately fast Wizard's Foot, and quick Dash attack, all of which take little effort to start and to hit with.

Your turn. Go.
Solution:

Don't rush people. Ever. You are never going to catch Fox or Sonic on the run, so don't even try. You also want to start with tilts instead of specials unless you are confident you will hit, such as drawing an opponent into running away and chasing them with Wizard's Foot.

Instead, try to lure them to you by drawing yourself closer and then trying to cover air space with Uair. You can also get close (use anything. Dodges, Rolls, Air aproach, Walking) and then use USmash if you think they will turn around and try to rush you, and from there use Uair for the combo. Your running speed is crap but you have good attack speed, and people for some reason tend to correlate the two. Position is far more important to Ganondorf than speed. Your attacks come out plenty fast enough to hit if you have good positioning.

Top Bottom