• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A man can dream - An original character for Super Smash Bros. 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Let's look at the candidates

1. Dragon King: The ultimate throwback character but too obscure?
2. Primid: Iconic of the last game but too forgetable?
3. Tabuu: Lot of potential but better off forgoten?
4. Sandbag: He was on the Whiteboard, hint perhaps?

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
i'd think that dragon king or sandbag would be the best options. i'd like to see the design on dragon king.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
Can't say I'd be a fan. Just seems like it'd water down the experience. Having the dragon King be playable would be alright but still not preferable. I mean I'm all for WTF (or WFT) characters but have them be somewhat established please.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I can't say I support a cancelled character as playable character.

Yet Sandbag would make a great representative. Yes he has no limbs BUT what if he gets miniature versions of Master and Crazy hand to use for attacks?

They could call him... Master Sandbag or something. It would also provide a new term for sanbdagging, lol.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
I haven't done any research into this, but all the characters in Smash Bros. were made up at some point.

What's the deal with people saying there is a point to Super Smash Bros.?
yes because Mario was made up specifically for Smash bros. i totally forgot all about that...

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
Why would you say Mario was made up for Smash Bros.? That's totally not the case.
thats the point. every character in Smash existed before Smash brothers was a thing(With the exception of Roy but he was in an upcoming game). the game is meant to have Nintendo all-stars in one game and making a character up a character goes against that. there's a reason Primids arent playable

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
thats the point. every character in Smash existed before Smash brothers was a thing(With the exception of Roy but he was in an upcoming game). the game is meant to have Nintendo all-stars in one game and making a character up a character goes against that. there's a reason Primids arent playable
But that doesn't stop the characters from being made up. I thought the reason Primids are not playable was because they didn't make them playable. That's pretty basic, right?

If the game was meant to have Nintendo all-stars in one game, someone must have sabotaged the production by putting non-Nintendo characters in it without telling anybody.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
But that doesn't stop the characters from being made up. I thought the reason Primids are not playable was because they didn't make them playable. That's pretty basic, right?
right and they wont be because they were made up as common enemies for Smash bros. while everyone else wasnt.

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
right and they wont be because they were made up as common enemies for Smash bros. while everyone else wasnt.
I think you are skirting the issue because you clearly said that Mario was made up for Super Smash Bros. after saying that a made up character ruins the point of the game.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
I think you are skirting the issue because you clearly said that Mario was made up for Super Smash Bros. after saying that a made up character ruins the point of the game.
its called sarcasm :facepalm:. and yes making up a character for a game of allstar characters ruins the point of the game.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
This is fun to read. But I agree with 3B. It's about Nintendo's all-stars. And while Smash Bros. is a Nintendo franchise, adding characters from that Franchise kind of defeats the purpose. Like when I see rosters with three Sonic characters.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I don't know, the franchise was created for other Nintendo franchises to battle each other. Maybe there can be one as a "guest character" for a game, like a third party guest, but I seriously doubt Sakurai will establish any character in Smash Bros. as a Nintendo all-star.

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
...a game of allstar characters...
It's about Nintendo's all-stars.
It's a game for Nintendo all stars.
You guys assume that there is any actual, distinguishable purpose to this game besides having fun in a peculiar way, and you seem deeply confused (perhaps I should say arbitrary about your notions) as can be told by the way you use the word purpose. If this game was strictly about having Nintendo characters fight (its "purpose"), then why are non-Nintendo characters included? Your notion of the purpose of this game falls apart in the face of this fact. The producers get to decide what the initial direction of this game is (and that direction is clearly is more broad than having Nintendo characters fight) and the rest of us take it down whatever route we want it to.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Well, we each have different opinions, and neither of us are going to change them. So I will just express what I believe one more time. I believe Smash was created for other franchises to come together in a set of games. I would be perfectly fine if a character from Smash becomes a character. However, the only two characters in Smash that have a chance in being playable characters are Master Hand, and to a lesser extent, Crazy Hand. That's all I have to say.

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
Well, we each have different opinions, and neither of us are going to change them.
It's not even a matter of opinion. You're completely neglecting that there are non-Nintendo elements in Smash Bros.

I believe Smash was created for other franchises to come together in a set of games.
This is much different than saying it was created for other Nintendo franchises to come together in a set of games, as you said previously. Removing the Nintendo clarification more accurately reflects the nature of this game. It is already a crossover game; saying its purpose is for a crossover of strictly Nintendo franchises is inherently false and besides, to limit the game to just Nintendo characters in a game that is already a crossover can only be a purely arbitrary decision.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Well, I did forget to bring up 3rd party, non-nintendo elements. They were announced as guests, so anything that comes with them is obviously because of them being guest characters (creating hype). But, I kinda give up explaining myself. Let there be a character from the Smash franchise. I just don't agree with it.

Zubyyyy

Yung Zuby the Falco God
I mean, Sandbag is great and all. But I meant a completely ORIGINAL character. If you guys have ever played Mortal Kombat Deception (not a great MK game, but it serves an illustration point here), there was a new character in that game called Shujinko, and there was a story mode that explained how he was fitting into the Mortal Kombat Universe. Something like that. A character we have never seen before, created solely as a Smash character.

No Primid, Sandbag, or anyone like that. If that makes sense.

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
I mean, Sandbag is great and all. But I meant a completely ORIGINAL character. If you guys have ever played Mortal Kombat Deception (not a great MK game, but it serves an illustration point here), there was a new character in that game called Shujinko, and there was a story mode that explained how he was fitting into the Mortal Kombat Universe. Something like that. A character we have never seen before, created solely as a Smash character.

I wouldn't mind seeing an alpha wire-frame fighter that wears Master Hand, a lot like Kamikazek suggested. He could utilize the powers of the hand in a condensed yet balanced form while still functioning as a traditional Smash fighter. Basically an in-universe fighter that subdued Master Hand, joined forces with, or possessed by.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

Chances are something like that isn't really likely. And as a few others have said it does defeat the purpose of Smash's concept. But would be interesting if said character had gotten their own game at some point. Though beating people up with Sandbag would be both cool and weird at the same time.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I recall Shujinko... It's a shame I never really bonded with that character in any way... I just wanted to be able to play as Ermac (if he even was in the game) or Noob/Smoke FAST. Never could unlock him either, so I was a happy camper with Sub Zero.

Anyway... if there's a SSB character... I deflect the question. WHY couldn't it be something that's already memorable? Like Sandbag with Mater/Crazy hands and turns into Taboo for a Final Smash?

Zubyyyy

Yung Zuby the Falco God
I mean, I guess it could be. From a storywise standpont though, i figure a new character would bring a lot to the game and story.

Tetra's Tracker

Smash Journeyman
There has been a number of SSB series original characters - Master/Crazy Hand, Polygons Fighting Wire Frames, Primids, Tabuu etc. - they just haven't been playable. If SSB4 introduced another original character and it just happened to be playable this time around then I don't think it would shake things up that much. I honestly don't think Tabuu becoming playable in Brawl after you beat him would've been too unnatural at all.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I feel like they should get the head creators of Mario, Legend of Zelda, Kid Icarus, Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Metroid, Fire Emblem, Star Fox, Earthbound etc all in one room and create a smash bros representative who isn't generic (like a wireframe fighter) but a character who could actually star in story mode and have a personality.

I think it would be interesting if the character had joint ownership amongst the heads of each series, in that sense it would be worthy of being in smash bros just on the strength of it's parents (creators) alone. What would the character look like?

That's really the only smash bros brawl representative I would tolerate, other ideas like sandbag and master hand....they seem a bit forced to me. Trying to force something that is too awkward to make any sense.

Blazingskittles423

Smash Rookie
I've had this idea revolving around my head ever since I became a fan of Super Smash Bros. This is not a thread to say "Sakurai would never do that"; this thread is for whether or not you want an original playable character in Super Smash Bros. 4.

Personally, I would like to see one, even though I don't believe it would ever really come into fruition. I know there might be some people that disagree with me, and that's fine. All I ask is that you don't flame me.

I apologize if there are any other threads like this.

Oddyesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Oddyesy
Nah, I mean, all the Nintendo faces fighting against each other is what it's all about, right? This isn't like something where you make original content for characters.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Enough with original character ideas, if you want your original characters in a fighting game... Go buy Fighter Maker and leave Super Smash Bros. alone.

Blazingskittles423

Smash Rookie
Enough with original character ideas, if you want your original characters in a fighting game... Go buy Fighter Maker and leave Super Smash Bros. alone.

Who said anything pertaining to that? I just wanted to see people's opinions on original fighters, not replace all of the smash characters!

This is the first original character thread I've ever posted. I've posted only one other thread (yes, I am a noob), and that was Klonoa, who is not one of my original characters, if that was what you were thinking.

Speculator

Smash Ace
If you mean something like a Primid or one of the Fighting Team characters, then no. I think ROB serves a dual purpose as SSB's own 'rep'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom