• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Advancing Peach's Metagame

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Marth and MK are definitely my two hardest MUs. The Marth I play most often is mainly a Melee player, so his Marth is very hard to deal with offstage, I almost never make it back onto the stage once knocked off. It's so frustrating. For me, the MU is easier to play in Melee, because of how good Peach's dash attack is.

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
I agree with Nicole, and it's funny because I was thinking this exact same thing like yesterday.

I want to hear her thoughts on it.

Basically, Marth is harder to combo, has more moves that outrange us, dancing blade is more frustrating than MK's Ftilt, he covers all of our air recovery options (similar to Metaknight) he is heavier, he can break out of our dair, etc.

we can outspace marth pretty well, we just can't be fair happy or dair happy. we gotta be quick. bair/nair/float airdodge/jab can give marth a good deal of problems.

dash atk can be good vs him, turnips are good, and if he's outside of jab range then dtilt is really beast.

as for recovery, ya either recover really high or recover low. you have to save your float, it's really truly key and you have to keep your stalling options in mind (float, dj, toad stall) so you don't get spiked.

when you're recovering high you can generally just stall and descend when he's coming to the ground after his double jump. it really helps to at least have your float or dj saved to outspace his attempts to juggle you.

peach has good options vs marth so it's not a hard mu. well, it can be coz marth is pretty **** but it's even enough.

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
I agree with Nicole, and it's funny because I was thinking this exact same thing like yesterday.

I want to hear her thoughts on it.

Basically, Marth is harder to combo, has more moves that outrange us, dancing blade is more frustrating than MK's Ftilt, he covers all of our air recovery options (similar to Metaknight) he is heavier, he can break out of our dair, etc.
Marth is really not hard to combo. You can give him SO MUCH HELL with your pressure game. Beware of his Fair when he's landing and always respect his UpB. Talking about UpB, Peach is really good at avoiding it, thanks to her shield advantages and her floating game. Let's not forget she has quite some range as well.

Recovering vs Marth is not similar to Meta Knight at all. Recovering low vs Marth is your best friend 90% of the time. After that he can only annoy you when you're on the ledge, but Peach's ledge options are quite decent. If you for whatever reason still hate the ledge, then recover high and do what Raz said.

Marth is lighter than Peach (and his recovery also isn't the best).

If you space your Dair well, he cannot break out. If you did not space it well, then quickly go away before he DIs out.

Marth can give you hell since he's also good at zoning, he has great range, is quite fast and his pressure game can be quite frustrating as well. However Peach can give him the equal amount of trouble back. She too can zone him well, she combos him to hell, she edgeguards him well, her attacks are fast, and she always has an answer to his options.

:053:

Nicole

Smash Champion
how does marth not gimp us?
it doesn't seem as hopeless as mk to you guys perhaps...but with mk you have alot of chances to recover correctly. you do take a fair amount of damage off the ledge against him but it's easy to put that damage back onto him once you get back onstage. it's pretty tough for mk to flat out kill you while you're recovering if you do it correctly. i hardly ever get straight up gimped. stupid things happen of course but umbrella is surprisingly not bad against mk and it pulls through for me a fair amount.
MARTH though. mk gimps you outwardly. he hits you away from the stage with dair, nair, loop. marth doesnt have to do this. he can. but he can also spike you, which kills you instantly and goes through umbrella if he times it right. he can counter your umbrella and just keep hitting you away from the edge. he can fair or bair regardless of where you're recovering (high or low). and he can up-b stagespike you if he so desires - and it isn't like mk where his airspeed is slow, and he cant get in position to stagespike you with upb unless you really fk up. marth can just drop off the ledge, basically, and do it, and if you're using umbrella then get *****. cause you just died.

so besides recovering...
marth's up b OOS tippers and kills you at around 130% if you miss with JAB. if i don't even hit marth's shield with jab, but am fairly close, i die. this is ********.

dancing blade racks up a million damage and if he doesnt do the stupid green slash at the end that you can DI out of then it's unpunishable, basically, if you get hit. he can stop doing it at anytime for mindgames, which makes it harder to punish if you shield it.

he has good grab range, i mean sure his grab does 4% but he can combo out of it rather well and you can't rely on your shield against him. he can rely on his shield against peach, though, with his excellent OOS options. peach can in no way pressure marth's shield safely (same as mk) to any degree that actually matters.

marth can juggle peach to hell. mk can do this too of course but i dont fear mk's as much because typically when i get juggled by him it's uair uair uair to some move that hits me away from him, loop or fair or nair. then i'm away from him. then i can recover normally enough, hit him when he comes after me, whatever. marth doesn't really hit you away. so you keep having to deal with OMG HOW THE FK DO I LAND? i'm not saying that marth will get to juggle you every time, but it's no picnic trying to avoid it and you really just have to focus on minimalizing the damage.

and finally. marth absolutely kills 10000% better than mk. it's extremely hard to make a comeback vs marth. he can play safely, just as well as mk can as far as peach is concerned. marth is also heavier than mk and killing him is harder, not to mention that your moves are going to be stale cause you have to outspace marth constantly with bair and fair. plus it's almost impossible to gimp a really good marth, despite turnips being pretty useful for that.

speaking of, turnips are absolutely stupid against marth. turnips annoy mk. marth just goes through them/catches them with fair. because of his much better airspeed, marth doesnt care about turnips nearly as much as mk.

that's all for now.

Queen B. Kyon

Smash Master
I understand what your saying Nicole but. Unless you can give me a way to recover from mk's shuttle loop. The Situation when he is facing away from the stage and its a repeating process until your too low to recover. Yes marth can grab turnips better but grabbing turnips aren't always a good thing. I guess its because of melee that I'm fine with it. But ummm... marth can only for but so much off stage as mk can do whatever he wants... I don't know how to say it but yes marth has all these options but I feel lacks control compared to mk. I feel control is the most important thing in this game. Guah I'm bad at explaining stuff lol

:phone:

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
You made some good points about the things he can abuse, but I still disagree with your overall synopsis of it all. You're way overrating his ability to kill Peach offstage, his ability to juggle her, and the general difficulty of the matchup as a whole. Frankly, you kind of sound like me when I was ranting about Olimar and overrating that matchup's difficulty myself. Maybe it's a matter of not having any Marths to practice against?

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
I understand what your saying Nicole but. Unless you can give me a way to recover from mk's shuttle loop. The Situation when he is facing away from the stage and its a repeating process until your too low to recover. Yes marth can grab turnips better but grabbing turnips aren't always a good thing. I guess its because of melee that I'm fine with it. But ummm... marth can only for but so much off stage as mk can do whatever he wants... I don't know how to say it but yes marth has all these options but I feel lacks control compared to mk. I feel control is the most important thing in this game. Guah I'm bad at explaining stuff lol

No you explained it just fine lol. Marth simply has holes in his game that can be exploited that MK does not. He also doesn't have much free reign to do as he pleases to her offstage like the latter can. I can't emphasize enough how much this matchup is about zoning. Peach can hardly apply direct pressure to him outright; it's more about getting him above her and forcing him to make hasty decisions from awkward angles. Turnips aren't too bad against him, but obviously tossing them directly at him isn't going to have much of an effrct.

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
i think people just need to get better at recovering versus Metaknight

i agree with like everything nicole said (but I'm bad versus Marth)

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
I'm just fine at recovering vs Metaknight, but what about when he's doing it flawlessly and outlasts her offstage to limit her recovery options to just one? It's happened before.

Nicole

Smash Champion
i think people just need to get better at recovering versus Metaknight
QFT

i agree kb, he can limit her if he does guard her well but she should verrryyyy rarely be dying to mk's offstage stuff. you can time your umbrella differently. you have a decent window of time.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Yeah definitely, dying a handful of times from MK's offstage game at this point in Brawl is inexcusable. Limiting can happen pretty often though depending on how good the MK is. Totally incapable ones or most pocket MKs = easy recovery just about every time. It's the seasoned mains that we have to solidify our recovery game against, or ones that have ample Peach experience like Dphat or Kel.

z00ted

lol, i enter the thread while dphat is namesearching

im gonna have to eat my own words and say that I pretty much got ***** by pwii's MK offstage today.
haven't touched brawl (seriously) in a while, and it showed.
I was ****** him in our first money match, then I got predictable and he ***** me.

got some pretty good friendlies in later though

Nordal

Smash Lord
I haven't played vs Marth as Peach in awhile, but I know it decently as Pikachu (basically what to punish, and if he can do it usually why shouldn't she) so let's see if I have any answers to your problems.

how does marth not gimp us?
it doesn't seem as hopeless as mk to you guys perhaps...but with mk you have alot of chances to recover correctly. you do take a fair amount of damage off the ledge against him but it's easy to put that damage back onto him once you get back onstage. it's pretty tough for mk to flat out kill you while you're recovering if you do it correctly. i hardly ever get straight up gimped. stupid things happen of course but umbrella is surprisingly not bad against mk and it pulls through for me a fair amount.
MARTH though. mk gimps you outwardly. he hits you away from the stage with dair, nair, loop. marth doesnt have to do this. he can. but he can also spike you, which kills you instantly and goes through umbrella if he times it right. he can counter your umbrella and just keep hitting you away from the edge. he can fair or bair regardless of where you're recovering (high or low). and he can up-b stagespike you if he so desires - and it isn't like mk where his airspeed is slow, and he cant get in position to stagespike you with upb unless you really fk up. marth can just drop off the ledge, basically, and do it, and if you're using umbrella then get *****. cause you just died.

I believe Raz explained it earlier, you have to recover either high or low vs Marth. His spike has a ****load of endlag to it so it's risky for him to use it off stage. If he's by the ledge he's obviously going to try to spike you so time yourself. Umbrella counter is also about timing; it's really who predicts it better. It's risky if he mistimes it because he could get stagespiked (assuming he misses the tech).

so besides recovering...
marth's up b OOS tippers and kills you at around 130% if you miss with JAB. if i don't even hit marth's shield with jab, but am fairly close, i die. this is ********.

Don't use jab as much at high %'s for punishes. Grab if you can; Up B is ridiculously risky for Marth to use and if you bait it (run up and shield) you can do whatever you want to him. An up smash kill is always nice.

dancing blade racks up a million damage and if he doesnt do the stupid green slash at the end that you can DI out of then it's unpunishable, basically, if you get hit. he can stop doing it at anytime for mindgames, which makes it harder to punish if you shield it.

Dancing blade is a good attack. If it helps, think of it like mk's forward tilt. Comes out quick, can be not completed to combo, but has a lot of lag if you don't complete it or if you do complete it on shield. The opportunity to punish is there, you just have to guess right/be quick enough.

he has good grab range, i mean sure his grab does 4% but he can combo out of it rather well and you can't rely on your shield against him. he can rely on his shield against peach, though, with his excellent OOS options. peach can in no way pressure marth's shield safely (same as mk) to any degree that actually matters.

Spaced forward air does pretty well on Marth's shield. Marth has an okay OoS game and I think you overestimate it. His grab is fantastic and you're correct about it aside from relying on shield, especially at higher %'s. Eating 4% and having the potential to be followed up is a lot better than a guaranteed tipper. She can't pressure his shield but she can bait his OoS game and punish fairly well.

marth can juggle peach to hell. mk can do this too of course but i dont fear mk's as much because typically when i get juggled by him it's uair uair uair to some move that hits me away from him, loop or fair or nair. then i'm away from him. then i can recover normally enough, hit him when he comes after me, whatever. marth doesn't really hit you away. so you keep having to deal with OMG HOW THE FK DO I LAND? i'm not saying that marth will get to juggle you every time, but it's no picnic trying to avoid it and you really just have to focus on minimalizing the damage.

Peach gets easily juggled by lots of characters, Marth is just a character that's better at juggling in general. Mix up your landings and pay more attention to his timing (remember Bair physically moves you and if you clash with him it at least knocks him away from you).

and finally. marth absolutely kills 10000% better than mk. it's extremely hard to make a comeback vs marth. he can play safely, just as well as mk can as far as peach is concerned. marth is also heavier than mk and killing him is harder, not to mention that your moves are going to be stale cause you have to outspace marth constantly with bair and fair. plus it's almost impossible to gimp a really good marth, despite turnips being pretty useful for that.

Lol, Marth does not kill better than mk. Can he kill earlier? Yes, but he's not as consistent at it. It is not impossible to gimp Marth, and if you don't gimp him you can very likely make sure he takes damage coming back. His ledge game is predictable so learn to abuse it.

speaking of, turnips are absolutely stupid against marth. turnips annoy mk. marth just goes through them/catches them with fair. because of his much better airspeed, marth doesnt care about turnips nearly as much as mk.

Punish his landings with turnips after his attacks.

that's all for now.

mikeray4

Smash Ace
@nicole

that guy IS really good. He's beaten some top names already like 394MarioStarfan,randomscrub7364, and Adam Gibson

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
This is a really good thread, I haven't spent enough time reviewing the OP but from what I see, there is REALLY good stuff there, definitely something any Peach or any upcoming player should apply to their game.

z00ted

thanks, I was sorta sad that it died so I REVIVED IT

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
I prefer full hop Nair and I'm sad it autocancels so late, which means we're at a slight disadvantage on block, unlike in Melee. :(

It's still a great move though. Float back and space GF Nair (there is not that much to space so it wont be too difficult) and you'll be safe enough. Safety aside, it's amazing in combos, does good damage, good knockback to use a combo move at lower %, and decent to kill with at higher %. It's quite fast, can be used out of a dash,has a hitbox covering her whole body and doesn't have much lag which results into an AMAZING landing punish. Furthermore, it can be used instead of FH Nair OoS. Especially nice when holding a turnip.

This moves deserves a Peach. :peach:

:053:

MechaWave

Smash Champion
I love nair, it's my most spammed moves because for me it's safe to use. I need to start replacing it with more jabs and dairs.

z00ted

Yeah... uh.. bump.

*Edited with Nordal's Nair stuff in the proper section

Nordal

Smash Lord

Let's try to revive this a little; I'll start.

I'm preeeeetty sure peach bomber beats pikachu's QA (I've done it to CPUs consistently but I haven't done frame **** or w/e so I'm guestimating). I've never told anyone this lol.

Nicole

Smash Champion
like a sprained ankle boyyyyy aint nothin to play with

ummmmm...

use nair more
re-catch turnips so you dont have to pull more
charging smashes when youre close to someone to punish their spotdodge

stuff i've been practicing lately is floating, waiting for shield, and droppin my float and grabbing. since they are always expecting a fair. also making better reads on rolls etc. just stuff i have to actively think about. and i'm trying to get better execution.

the best way to advance your personal metagame is to practice to learn and try things out, not to win. if you're playing friendlies with the inention of winning them then you're probably not making enough mixups etc...your game stagnates. i am always actively thinking of ways to stay random and change my patterns in friendlies. i think it helps...

Top Bottom