• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Aerial Rave Major (LAINNNN)(Brawl+MELEE)(250$ BONUS) 11/7/09 Collinsville IL.

Cheeseonastick

Smash Journeyman
I figured Lain would come out on top, didn't really have a clue past that. Nicely done Metal, making some money :D

Zozefup

Smash Lord
Cheese!!! You should have made it! Me and Rob gambino were late too, so we couldn't play in the tournament either. So there were no MKs in this whole tournament. (besides Metal, but he usually plays falco or DDD). The final set was crazy though. Ripple did amazing. He was in the losers bracket and had to play lain for the grand finals. Ripple took the first set, and the final set was 3 game to 2, lain won. It was crazy close.

The Milk Monster

Smash Champion
Goooood goooood.

Just in case someone didn't hear, Jeff kicked Brawl out of AR, so Brawleen and I are looking for other venues, cause I decided not to quit.

alt-F4

Smash Ace
why did he kick brawl out of AR, just cause it didnt have a lot of entrants?

Teh Future

Smash Master
Well this was a small tourney but I feel it deserves some shoutouts (and Im doing it now when i have time cause I don't know if theres going to be a results thread and I work forever):

Think: thanks for running the tourney even though it wasn't exactly what you wanted. Keep running tourneys cause you're really good at it! See you around!

Ripple: Dude you really impressed me with how well you played at this tourney. Keep playing like this and give DK some rep. in real tourneys.

LeganBlack Panther: You lost to a yoshi man wtf is wrong with us we both do this **** every tourney ever =( both of us CAN and need to step it up.

Zoze: the friendlies we had were a lot of fun, thanks for not holding anything against me for being a **** and I hope to see you again.

Rauleen: Thanks for giving me a ride back home so I could hang out with you guys

Everyone quiting: DON'T QUIT!!! local STL tourneys will still happen and the dumb **** that happened at this tourney won't. Kurasa doesn't understand the smash scene and him loosing money is in a HUGE part his own fault. Him dropping smash is definitely going to be good for the local scene and theres no reason to quit when everyone has a good time going to the tourneys.

TP

Smash Master
Kurasa doesn't understand the smash scene and him loosing money is in a HUGE part his own fault. Him dropping smash is definitely going to be good for the local scene
Yeah, the local competitive scene is much better off now that we can't host tournaments!

Wait...

:034:

MetalMusicMan

Sleepwalk our lives away.
Future said:
Everyone quiting: DON'T QUIT!!! local STL tourneys will still happen and the dumb **** that happened at this tourney won't. Kurasa doesn't understand the smash scene and him loosing money is in a HUGE part his own fault. Him dropping smash is definitely going to be good for the local scene and theres no reason to quit when everyone has a good time going to the tourneys.
This. TP, you obviously missed the whole point of what he was saying... he was saying we are better off hosting our own tournaments. L2Read?

Also ... yeah... let's make a results thread.

TP

Smash Master
This. TP, you obviously missed the whole point of what he was saying... he was saying we are better off hosting our own tournaments. L2Read?
Hosting our own tournaments > Aerial Rave > No tournaments.

Currently, we can't host our own tournaments. I have complete faith in Milk and Rauleen to fix that, but for now we have nothing.

+1 vote for results thread.

Cook

Smash Master
Well this was a small tourney but I feel it deserves some shoutouts (and Im doing it now when i have time cause I don't know if theres going to be a results thread and I work forever):

Think: thanks for running the tourney even though it wasn't exactly what you wanted. Keep running tourneys cause you're really good at it! See you around!

Ripple: Dude you really impressed me with how well you played at this tourney. Keep playing like this and give DK some rep. in real tourneys.

LeganBlack Panther: You lost to a yoshi man wtf is wrong with us we both do this **** every tourney ever =( both of us CAN and need to step it up.

Zoze: the friendlies we had were a lot of fun, thanks for not holding anything against me for being a **** and I hope to see you again.

Rauleen: Thanks for giving me a ride back home so I could hang out with you guys

Man, what a ******. I deserve three shoutouts for letting you beat me.

Rob_Gambino

Smash Lord
Agreed, that final set was a show.

Lain- You're retarted good, I feel hopeless against the IC. Please no sandbagging next time. You're a lot better at melee than I expected too, lol at those first few matches I went fox.

Ripple- SOO GOOD. I don't understand how you can play so many characters at that high of a level in both games. It appears that all the Chewy practice paid off; you had one of the best in the nation on the ropes.

Future- You're probably the most improved player that I saw, good stuff. *Starts studying IC*

Cook/Nicole- Thanks for the all the matches and the peach tips.

Everyone else, nice to see you again. Late night dennys was nice.

Thinkaman/Milk- Thanks for the tourney. Everyone seemed to have a lot of fun. BBrawl was fun, kind of wish it wasn't random char, but it made for some great laughs.

As mentioned before, this is not necessarily a bad thing being dropped from AR. People might be more likely to travel to it if it smash is the main event. We won't be cramped in a tiny room at the end of the building. We'll have our own say with things like dates, events, etc. Other little things like registering will go faster/smoother being able to do it directly. Aerial Raves were certainly a delight, but it probably is better for both parties to move on.

raeli

Smash Rookie
This was some ****ed up **** you guys did to Jeff, real talk.

Oh **** no. Jeff didn't do this to himself. He got you guys a bonus pot, he got you guys your own, spacious room. Hell, I ****ing took time out of SF4 casuals to bring those heavy *** TVs into that room and get them set up for you guys.

You guys failed at supporting someone who REALLY wanted to support you guys, and then you talk **** about a $20 venue fee and saying he doesn't -understand- you guys? **** outta here, Brawl hasn't pulled near the numbers of SF4 since AR1, and he was right to consider dropping you guys. Then he said **** it, gave it a chance, and you guys still ****ed up.

Stop worrying about hosting your own tournaments and try to make it right to Jeff, I know the SF and Tekken players are working on donating some money to him. He's too nice to ask, and he's too nice to say this ****, so I'll say it myself..

Get your ****ing **** together, and stop acting like you were entitled to even being at the AR events in the first place. We ran your game because there was demand, now there's not, and you ***** about having no local tournies? Guess what? Be pissed at yourselves, your scene, your clique, because that **** was straight self destruction.

****ing scrubs.

edit: and **** homebrew, *****s, that's some more scrubby bull****. decide on a tournament standard and ****ing play it, jesus christ

i guess that's what we get for letting a bunch of petty kids in on a man's tournament

Rob_Gambino

Smash Lord
No tourney but it probably would have been

Ripple
Lain
Legan/Zoze/Rob

Zoze's really good against falco, but he hasn't played melee in ages, and he didn't play today.

TP

Smash Master
So what all happened or should I say didn't happen this Saturday? Seems like bad blood?
The tournament itself went perfectly smooth and was very enjoyable. It's just that the turnout sucked and led to large financial losses.

Zozefup

Smash Lord
How many came? I thought smash in STL was big?

Oh **** no. Jeff didn't do this to himself. He got you guys a bonus pot, he got you guys your own, spacious room. Hell, I ****ing took time out of SF4 casuals to bring those heavy *** TVs into that room and get them set up for you guys.

You guys failed at supporting someone who REALLY wanted to support you guys, and then you talk **** about a $20 venue fee and saying he doesn't -understand- you guys? **** outta here, Brawl hasn't pulled near the numbers of SF4 since AR1, and he was right to consider dropping you guys. Then he said **** it, gave it a chance, and you guys still ****ed up.

Stop worrying about hosting your own tournaments and try to make it right to Jeff, I know the SF and Tekken players are working on donating some money to him. He's too nice to ask, and he's too nice to say this ****, so I'll say it myself..

Get your ****ing **** together, and stop acting like you were entitled to even being at the AR events in the first place. We ran your game because there was demand, now there's not, and you ***** about having no local tournies? Guess what? Be pissed at yourselves, your scene, your clique, because that **** was straight self destruction.

****ing scrubs.

edit: and **** homebrew, *****s, that's some more scrubby bull****. decide on a tournament standard and ****ing play it, jesus christ

i guess that's what we get for letting a bunch of petty kids in on a man's tournament
I think about 20 came and played in the tournament. If that.

So I don't really know what to say in response to all this. I agree with Raeli. The St. louis smash scene is big, and it has potential. This was just a lack in communication. The tournament organizer and the players who hyped the tournament didn't know we needed a minimum of 50 players to make ends meet. Instead, this was ran more like a casual "we don't care how many show up" until a couple days before the tournament. By then it was too late.

*still waiting on a results thread and videos!* XD

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I'm just going to make one post about this.

Jeff had zero obligation to us and hosted events for Smash anyway, and that's remarkable. Future, you are completely out of line in saying that someone who organized the logistics for tourneys you went to deserved to lose money. Jeff bent over backwards for us and got screwed. I apologized to Jeff multiple times, and assumed from the get go that he would not host any more smash events. Why would he?

I hope Jeff is not personally upset at me, because I committed a lot to this (even if not close to him) and got burned too. I drove to Wichita to hype the event, and gave noobs controllers so they could play (and everyone knows that when you give noobs controllers you don't get them back). I added $50 of my own money to the pot; again nothing compared to Kasura, but still. Even when turnout sucked, I did my best to run Smash professionally and quickly, and succeeded. I made sure our room was taken down and cleaned up by 11:40 sharp, since it was the least we could do at that point.

If you can't show respect to Jeff (who had NO REASON to do this for us), what makes anyone think you will show respect to me or Rauleen or w/e when we are the ones footing the bill?

Zozefup

Smash Lord
Theres no way that Thinkman and Milk knew that they needed 50 players to break even and still made it balanced brawl...... right?

I'm not sure the invitation should have been accepted in the first place. 50 players is HUGE for a tournament in the Midwest. I hope Jeff was at least informed of the risk.

MetalMusicMan

Assuming that you could get 50+ people for a MOD of an already smaller tournament scene game on the FIRST official tournament of that mod is extremely ignorant... so that is the main factor. I don't see how you could disagree with Future saying that the SF guys don't understand the Smash community though... that's not a negative thing, it's just a fact.

Once again, I have no idea why this was even attempted to be listed as a BBrawl tournament when it was hyped up as such a major event. Getting 50+ people for NORMAL brawl in MO has never happened... why the **** would you expect a freaking mod to do better than the real thing?

All of this nonsense just hurts the community by confusing every new player because they are told they have to hack their wii to go to a tournament where they are already confused enough to begin with.

...but you know, this is all ******** anyway since I have no idea why mr. whoever-the-fawk-he-is came in here whining up a storm because of some off-handed comment Future made... so whatever. You all already know my opinions on BBrawl and Brawl+ and the like, so I won't bother repeating myself.

Just pretend I said bla bla bla bla bla drama. bla bla bla bla bla bla drama. bla bla. ... or something thereof.

Also... seriously... make a results thread... plz...

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I'm going to comment on the "scrubby homebrew" and the whole situation with that. Balanced Brawl is design wise stupidly similar to HDR so attacks on it as a game seem ridiculous to me coming from a Street Fighter player; by working to promote patching of fighting games by actual experts at it (meaning tournament level players moreso than game companies), we are trying to advance fighting games as a whole. Having someone like you come in and attack it as scrubby is patently ridiculous.

As per what was going to be run at the event, Balanced Brawl was arranged to be run literal months beforehand and posted publicly as such. We were excited over the prospect of taking this game big time, but misfortune befell us. For one, a $20 venue fee really is too much for a lot of the smash community. Maybe we're all more poor than the SF players; I don't know. I know pretty much everyone who thought of going except the rare few who were pretty much guaranteed money if they showed seriously thought twice just looking at that. For two, it just happened a delay in the Midwest Circuit-West pushed the championship tournament back a month... which put it 2 weeks before this. Remember that we're all poor in the first place; that's a major blow. For three, it was really hard to advertise this for quite a while because we had concerns about silly things like restrictions on bringing our own equipment (because of... electricity costs?) and time restraints that were beyond impossible for Smash Bros. (our game is long, and that's just how it works). Lastly, Joker got a job that conflicts with his tournament attendance, and he's Iowa's ride so a typically reliable crew that was geographically one of the closer ones to the event was gone from the start.

Then, less than a week before the tournament, we get told that the main event we had planned is now canceled and it's standard Brawl instead. This was a decision external to the smash community entirely. I think everyone on this side was just baffled that Kurasa didn't know that was the plan since it had been posted months prior. I know the entire reason I didn't come was because of this, and it probably looks pretty flaky to have such a monumental change only a few days before the event. I remember way back Overswarm said he and his guys would want to come if it were Balanced Brawl and had the pot bonus; I'm not sure if they had flaked out beforehand or not, but that was another substantial group lost regardless.

And then after this, what happens? Thinkaman, who has a huge interest in Balanced Brawl being a co-designer and all, decides to honor his commitment to TO the tournament, tells me very strongly to avoid saying any bad things about this tournament publicly even though I personally have serious issues that I have been bringing up behind closed doors, and does his best to try to make the event work despite the numerous reasons it was basically guaranteed to have horrible turnout. How insidious?

There is no way you can say with a straight face that the smash community has done wrong here. There was more than an honest effort to make this work despite circumstances presented to us. Coming on our forums and acting like that isn't productive, does little to help the relations between our communities (which are poor without much good reason), and is generally very unfair.

A last note, of course, is that probably much unlike for SFIV, Chicago really doesn't have a Brawl scene of any form at all. I am not from Chicago so I'm not familiar with the politics of why that happened, and it is probably best that I don't speculate. So the tournament being out in Illinois was actually moving it farther away from people, not closer.

Metal, from the second you posted "BBrawl and Brawl+ and the like" you had already missed the point. You really do know better than to group those things together. The real reasons for turnout are explained above anyway.

Cheeseonastick

Smash Journeyman
First off: No crap should be given to Jeff. None. He did in fact bend over backwards to make this work for us. We screwed up, not him. There is NO denying this. He clearly did everything right, as (to my understanding) everything else turned out fine besides Brawl.

Second: I'm not entirely sure what to make of the BBrawl decision. On one hand, there was clearly a miscommunication. On the other hand, it's really not fair to be making such a big gamble with someone else's money. Obviously though, Think was highly commited to this event and should be commended as such. So he made a mistake (if you even want to call it that, it's debatable). This thing wouldn't have even run if it weren't for Think.

MetalMusicMan

Metal, from the second you posted "BBrawl and Brawl+ and the like" you had already missed the point. You really do know better than to group those things together. The real reasons for turnout are explained above anyway.
BBrawl is infinitely better than Brawl+, yeah. I have always said that. However, BBrawl is just as pointless as Brawl+, despite it being a lot "better"...

They're both still mods and still completely pointless, though. BBrawl is "better" because it's less of a mod, so it's closer to not being a mod at all, which is the best place to be... no mods...

There's no reason not to group them both together, you can say what you want about them being completely different in terms of gameplay, and they are, but they are still mods trying to compete with each other and the original game, and they are both still pointless for trying to do that.

I have no problem with Thinkaman and think he's awesome and fantastic, and he's one of my favorite people to see at a tournament and on the boards. That being said, I'm allowed to vehemently disagree with him and still respect him as a friend and a competitor.

The Milk Monster

Smash Champion

****ing scrubs.

I know Jeff is an awesome as **** guy, and if I would've known I would've helped towards the fund of money he lost, but people that said they were coming didn't show, simple as that.

Jeff has already talked to me about it briefly tonight, and I completely see his logic, if anyone is curious what it is, talk to him.

It makes complete sense, no matter how much he dislikes Brawl/the community, his facts were right.

We lost him a lot of money by "confirming" people, and them not showing, simple as that.

Yeah he was pissed, I completely understand that, but I mean, we couldn't help people not being able to show, that's out of our power.

It's not that Jeff isn't too nice to say it, him and I have discussed it on a civil and professional level, instead of him just coming in here and raging like this. I can TRY to work something out, but after this, Smash is pretty done at AR.

Jeff ran Smash at AR because I was in need of a venue, he found one, we talked it out, and the first tourney pulled big numbers, showing promise. Then a lot of people died out, and then it became locals. It ****ing sucks, but **** happens. I just wanted to play. I didn't care how many numbers were there, I wanted to hang and play with friends, catch up, and just have fun. I didn't care about how well I did, or if I'd make money. Our scene is local, and once we get better, we'll travel to OoS tourneys and ****.

And in regards to Homebrew, I don't really understand how the community trying to make a more balanced revision of the game, with some seemingly OPed factors and making a game more tailored to allow people to play characters they want to play instead of who will win, I don't really see how it's scrubby, but agree to disagree or whatever.

Most of the STL Smash community is 20+, excluding myself, but I never acted out of line, followed Jeff's rules to the T, did the best I could to rake people in, made almost every AR I could, and did everything I could to make it work. Guess we're just petty little kids still.

This got completely ****ing out of hand, I know Jeff was pissed, the Smash community knew that from how little the turn out was. We're not ignorant. There was absolutely no ****ing reason for you to come in and rage on us, considering it's no one's fault, and we couldn't of done much to avoid it, except personally driving to all the OoS people who confirmed to come and getting them ourselves. I don't think any fighting game community is THAT committed.

I really don't have anything else to say without being completely vulgar and out of line.

So I'll keep this civil and short.

Brawl community is sorry for low numbers, nothing we could have done to avoid it, mis-communication on Kyle/My/Jeff's end, we ****ed up, If Jeff wants to talk something out, I will, but at this point, I understand why he's mad, and won't take it past this.

So, take this as you will, but at this point, just put it behind us, and just ****ing chill. AR will be their own thing, and I will still attend for Tekken/Blaz/SFIV, but Brawl will go and do it's own thing, so if we **** up again, it's on us, and no one can get mad except us at ourselves.

I'm done. **** *****es get paid.

Kurasa

Smash Rookie
Ok. I'm going to get on here for one last time and set everything straight.

1) This event was, from the start, a Brawl event. The information for Aerial Rave 2.0 has been posted on the official site (www.aerialravestl.com), SRK, TZ, 8WayRun, DustLoop, gpxgaming.net, and Facebook SINCE AUGUST!! I printed up over 400 fliers and distributed them around STL, Columbus OH, Chicago, and just about every other place that I traveled and every single one said Brawl. Not BBrawl or Brawl+...Super Smash Bros Brawl. This was the only place that BBrawl was even mentioned.

I'm not sure if you know this or not, but Super Smash Bros Brawl exists outside of Smashboards. The average player doesn't know about this site, nor does he/she care. They play the game for what it is and it would have been a terrible move for me to advertise this event as a BBrawl tournament, since a good 70% of my target audience has no idea what that game is.

2) Thinkaman knew the minimums. We spoke back in September when I was finalizing the layout and he promised me 50 players. Initially, Brawl was going to be run in the main SF room on 4 TVs. He informed me that was not sufficient since the expected turnout was 50+. I did not want to leave you guys out, so I went ahead and got the room with his player-base assurance being the deciding factor.

This is probably where the miscommunication arose. He wanted to run a BBrawl event and I gave him the OK. I was not refering to the main event here, but rather another side event. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the change to BBrawl was announced sometime around Sept. 8. If it occured earlier, then Kyle and I will have somethings to talk about.

With that said, I'd like to go on the record saying that in no way should Kyle be viewed as the bad guy here. He even offered to foot the bill for the Brawl room when I was obviously hesitant...something that I'm sure most would not do.

3) Yes, the tournament was switched to RBrawl with less than a week to go...that happened because it was not supposed to be BBrawl in the first place. After reading through all of the pages of this thread, it became apparent that a lot of damage was done when the event was initial changed to BBrawl, a change that I in no way endorsed. Like I said before, smashboards exists in a vacuum while SSBB does not. This event was a major and as such I have to cater to the game's total player base, not just this forum.

4) BBrawl is NOT like HDR. Did you guys add moves? Revamp the graphics? No. From what I'm told, only minor property changes where made. To quote a text message from a member of this site, and community, that I won't name here - "Nothing to change the gameplay, its all the same game, just some attack properties changed to balance it." If that is the case, then you've done nothing that comes remotely close to what David Sirlin did to create HDR.

This is not an attack on the ingenuity of those responsible for the BBrawl patch, as I am a Java developer by day and totally respect, and commend, your efforts to fix the game. I'm simply saying that an unfair comparison was made.

Now onto the personal responses.

@Thinkaman - Yes...I was incredibly pissed at you on Saturday and when I found out (last Monday no less) that this tournament was advertised here as BBrawl I wanted to find and assassinate you (no homo). It seemed that you were using this event as a platform showcase your patch; your agenda was "BBrawl must be seen!" This did not sit well with me and, quite frankly, I was infuriated. However, the rage has now passed.

It seems that you were trying to do what you felt was best for the community. Unfortunately your community is heavily divided and not the sole focus of a major event like AR2. With that said, feel free to continue running your locals at the monthly AR (you can thank Milk for that one).

@Milk and Brawleen - There is no need to put your personal fight money towards getting a spot at a convention center if the expected turnout resembles that which we saw on Saturday. To break things down to ya'll, and to anyone else that may be thinking about taking up the torch: convention centers cost money...a lot of money. Here are the things that you MUST purchase:

Space - $200+
Tables - $8 - $30 each
Chairs - $2 - $5 each
Electrical - $35 - $50 per 500 watt electrical connection.
Internet - $50 - $150
Insurance - $300 - $500 per day

Its great that you guys are willing to help out your community, but PLEASE don't do so without knowing the cost beforehand. It seems that the members in your community aren't willing to put forth the effort have your community grow, so also take that into consideration. There are tons of mini circles all over SoIL and there is no reason that they all can't be brought into one.

@Raeli - Thanks for the defense man, but take it easier on these guys next time. Some are idiots, but there are a few diamonds in the rough. Word.

@Twilight Prince - Word. Thanks for your support.

@Haters - just don't show up in the future. Haters aren't welcome here.

I'm sure I'm missing something since I've been typing this off and on for the past 2 hours, but thats not important. Simply put, there are a few shining stars in your community, and a lot of teenybopping whiners. Good luck in future events.

edit - I just spoke to Kyle and he is indeed the ****. If you guys wanna run an event at the local ARs, you're welcome to.

The Milk Monster

Smash Champion
Good to hear, takes some stress off Rauleen and I.

Thanks again Jeff, knew you'd keep the professionalism about all of us.

Guess future AR's are still on, still at Ogre's I'm assuming.

See everyone next month. <3

Teh Future

Smash Master
Kyle I never said Jeff deserved to loose money, I said it was mostly his own fault that he did. The competitive smash scene exists almost soley on smashboards. Someone that doesn't know about smashboards isn't going to travel from chicago to attend a SSBB tourney or pay 30 dollars to enter.

I think its cool that he allows us to use his shop for tourneys, but renting a $200 dollar+ room for a smash tourney that you aren't going to advertise on smashboards or even check if it is being hyped on smashboards shows Jeff doesn't understand how the smash community works.

The Milk Monster

Smash Champion
Kyle I never said Jeff deserved to loose money, I said it was mostly his own fault that he did. The competitive smash scene exists almost soley on smashboards. Someone that doesn't know about smashboards isn't going to travel from chicago to attend a SSBB tourney or pay 30 dollars to enter.

I think its cool that he allows us to use his shop for tourneys, but renting a $200 dollar+ room for a smash tourney that you aren't going to advertise on smashboards or even check if it is being hyped on smashboards shows Jeff doesn't understand how the smash community works.
On the second statement, I don't really understand what you're getting at. "How the Smash community works."

Jeff left Smash to me and Kyle to hype/advertise/etc. We hyped it, invited people, had confirms, got M2K, got Lain, etc. He left it up to us entirely. He had his other games to run.

And don't think I'm attacking you or anything, I just am trying to understand what you're saying.

MetalMusicMan

Kurasa, since you didn't say anything to me directly, I'm going to assume that you've labeled me as a "hater", and if you really think that, I don't really mind... but please try to understand the issue here, because I don't think that you do.

You're a really cool guy and I appreciate all of the stuff you've done, but when I say that you don't understand the community, I mean that as literally and factually as possible.

Kurasa said:
Unfortunately your community is heavily divided and not the sole focus of a major event like AR2.
This is exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about... the community is NOT heavily divided.

No one plays "Balanced Brawl"... no one even plays Brawl+... there is a TINY handful of people running around hyping for no reason, as if these mods are the best thing since sliced bread, and all it's doing is confusing people who aren't familiar with the game (like yourself) from understanding what is actually going on. Thus, you don't understand the community.

Regardless of your impression of this community being "divided", I assure you that it is a local phenomenon, and more importantly, it is the result of only 2 or 3 people here who keep talking about "Balanced Brawl". NO ONE ELSE CARES ABOUT IT. 90% of the community EVERYWHERE plays NORMAL Brawl.

I can't blame you for thinking otherwise, since all of these pointless mods and patches make it really difficult to figure out what is going on if you are new, but the fact is that none of them have any major success.

This Aerial Rave is the ONLY tournament ANYWHERE recently that has attempted to be a "major" or "serious" BBrawl tournament... EVER. It's just a shame that they get in the way every now and then and muck things up for people who don't know any better.

The last Aerial Rave Minor that I got 1st place at also suffered from "HEY GUYS, LET'S MAKE THIS BBRAWL AND NOT TELL ANYONE, SURPRISE!"

The only reason that it ended up being "normal" Brawl (as it should have been and was advertised) was because I personally made everyone state whether they would rather play REAL Brawl or the "modded" version. More than 90% of the votes were for normal Brawl... as expected... most people didn't even know what BBrawl was and were confused and uninterested in trying it, and those who did know what it was mostly were completely uninterested.

The above is the major issue, but Future's point of not properly making a Smashboards thread is also a big part of why you are not hitting home with the Smash community. If it's not posted and supported and well outlined here, you will not see attendance.

I understand how you might misconstrue me as being a hater... but I am the only person in all of St. Louis that hosts WEEKLY smash meets for the past ~2 years and I have single handedly brought MANY smashers into the competitive scene for Brawl, more than anyone in St. Louis.

If I hate anything, it's how messed up event listing and pointless "hyping" of stupid mods are taking away members from our community by confusing the crap out of them.

As for Future... he's a really good guy, but he comes off as really whiney until you get to know him... he's only 7 years old, after all :p Try to cut him some slack, if you can find it in you to do so.

Kurasa

Smash Rookie

Even if they know about Smashboards, that doesn't mean they've heard about the tournament. Also, Chicago did rep and the guys that made the trip don't post here. There is also the local promotions to consider. I had 6 guys, that don't post here, come out to rep Scott Air Force Base. There was Dark Kakashi and Kevin that came down from Chicago. Hell 40% of the tournament was guys that don't care to grace Smash Boards with their presence. But whatevs...I guess I don't understand the community.

Also, the event was advertised here. Aren't we posting in that very thread? Wasn't Kyle and Luke pimping it to the roof? I did not see the need to come on here and check up on them because they aren't 10 year olds that need to be monitored. I gave them a task, and the set out to do it. But whatevs...I guess I don't understand the community.

And I'm fine with that. If the Smash community is comprised soley of whiny 17 year olds, then I really don't want to understand. Aside from a select few, your community seems rather legit. But that's cool, I understand that each scene must have its fair share of people like you. Don't bother showing up at any future Smash events run at one of my venues. You aren't welcome at my shows.

Kurasa

Smash Rookie
Kurasa, since you didn't say anything to me directly, I'm going to assume that you've labeled me as a "hater", and if you really think that, I don't really mind... but please try to understand the issue here, because I don't think that you do.

You're a really cool guy and I appreciate all of the stuff you've done, but when I say that you don't understand the community, I mean that as literally and factually as possible.

This is exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about... the community is NOT heavily divided.

No one plays BBrawl... no one even plays Brawl+... there is a TINY handful of people running around hyping for no reason, as if these mods are the best thing since sliced bread, and all it's doing is confusing people who aren't familiar with the game (like yourself) from understanding what is actually going on. Thus, you don't understand the community.

I can't blame you, since all of these pointless mods and patches make it really difficult to figure out what is going on if you are new, but the fact is that none of them have any major success.

This Aerial Rave is the ONLY tournament ANYWHERE recently that has attempted to be a "major" or "serious" BBrawl tournament... EVER. It's just a shame that they get in the way every now and then and muck things up for people who don't know any better.

The last Aerial Rave Minor that I got 1st place at also suffered from "HEY GUYS, LET'S MAKE THIS BBRAWL AND NOT TELL ANYONE, SURPRISE!"

The only reason that it ended up being "normal" Brawl (as it should have been and was advertised) was because I made everyone state whether they would rather play REAL Brawl or the "modded" version. More than 90% of the votes were for normal Brawl... as expected... most people didn't even know what BBrawl was and were confused and uninterested in trying it, and those who did know what it was mostly were completely uninterested.

The above is the major issue, but Future's point of not properly making a Smashboards thread is also a big part of why you are not hitting home with the Smash community. If it's not posted and supported and well outlined here, you will not see attendance.
I actually wasn't labeling you as a hater since you've attended just about every event. I actually consider you one of the true players in the community solely based on your placing highly at all of the AR minors and showing up to just about all of the events.

I didn't personally come on here and post the event because Milk and Kyle have always run the Smash side of the house. I told them about my plans long before the official announcement and they both wanted to play a leading role. I left it there hands and things got misconstrued. Blah blah blah.

As for AR being the only major, that's pretty sad. There seems to be a lot of interest for the game, so why is there no support? I am not a part of this community, and now I don't want to become a member because it seems to be plagued with immaturity and ignorance.

"We want tourneys!!!" -- go to the ones that people hold.
"People don't understand our community" -- then organize yourselves and stand behind a standard.

TP

Smash Master
There was a 70 person BBrawl tournament in Texas a month ago.

The More You Know.

I'm glad to hear that AR's will continue to host Brawl. I visit Ogre's weekly anyway for MTG, so I love going there for anything. I'll definitely be at the next one.

MetalMusicMan

Thanks.

I have been trying to organize the Brawl community in STL for some time... it's taken a long time to build it up after the old Melee players tore it down... but that's a whole different story.

Anyway, I really appreciate everything that Milk and Think have done with taking care of the AR stuff... they have a better relationship with you than I do, so it has never been my place to do much with those events except help with pools and whatnot.

AR is the only major event in MO that has tried to use Balanced Brawl / Homebrew and all that-- it's NOT the only major BRAWL event. There have been plenty of other events and no one even MENTIONS Balanced Brawl.

This is the disconnect that I think we are having here.

Balanced Brawl is Thinkaman's project... since Thinkaman made it, he likes to try to push it at the AR events because he runs them as the TO... so to you, it might seem like we are "divided" between playing Homebrew/Balance Brawl or the REAL game...

I assure you that this issue of people "wanting to play or hype Balanced Brawl" almost NEVER happens ANYWHERE else but Aerial Rave-- it happens there because Thinkaman plays the Role of Tournament Organizer.

People play Balanced Brawl in other regions from time to time, but it is still a VERY minor part of the community compared to the REAL game.

Hopefully no one misconstrues this as me hating on Think, I'm just trying to explain that the community is NOT divided and it only appears that way at the AR events because Think runs them. It doesn't really happen anywhere else.

As for Twilight Prince, he talks about Balanced Brawl all the time because he mains Ganon (the worst character in the game) and Balanced Brawl makes him better... it's as simple as that.

Pretty much everywhere, people just play normal Brawl 90% of the time.

Top Bottom