• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
Every week, it's a new secret main for you, Poet. Also, it's not very secret if he's showing up right under your post count.

Acid Burn

Smash Rookie
So its been a while the Birmingham guys have gotten together and smashed for fun. Someone should trough a little smash fest. I would host it but for those who haven't been to my lovely abode it isn't exactly large.

Midguy

Smash Cadet
So its been a while the Birmingham guys have gotten together and smashed for fun. Someone should trough a little smash fest. I would host it but for those who haven't been to my lovely abode it isn't exactly large.
A grand idea indeed. My place is small as balls too and wouldn't work.

saintrage

Smash Cadet
i like melee and brawl equally. they are two different experiences that i find fulfulling.
T1J I really appreciate this comment. While browsing through the brawl threads i happened to read a lot of things that seemed dis hearting. Stuff like gimpyfish saying brawl is a step backwards, and that the metagame will never evolve to a point where it is half as good as Melee's game. While i believe this to hold some truth, after getting my *** handed to me by moogle several times with snake, i feel that there is still room for this game to evolve.

I love both games equally and i know i will never stop playing Melee as long as my controller doesn't give out, and as long as there are still tournaments and smash night. Becasue with Melee i know i can ALWAYS get better.

With Brawl i don't know how much better i can get at it. Apparently Munkus has evolved his game considerably, and i'd love to play him again soon. I have found a new happiness in Brawl with the technical IC's, and the only way to sustain that happiness is if i can go to tourny's and play Brawl. But with all the negative stigma towards Brawl, will they stop having brawl tourny's after the hype goes down? If so then there is no point in my practicing my tech skill. Thats the only thing I'm worried about with Brawl.

However it is an extremely fun game and i hope that it will soon gather more support because i will most definitely support this game in tournament play.

Hopefully i can get this **** router working so i can actually play online soon, and maybe then i won't worry so much about Brawl.

j00t

Smash Champion
T1J I really appreciate this comment. While browsing through the brawl threads i happened to read a lot of things that seemed dis hearting. Stuff like gimpyfish saying brawl is a step backwards, and that the metagame will never evolve to a point where it is half as good as Melee's game. While i believe this to hold some truth, after getting my *** handed to me by moogle several times with snake, i feel that there is still room for this game to evolve.

I love both games equally and i know i will never stop playing Melee as long as my controller doesn't give out, and as long as there are still tournaments and smash night. Becasue with Melee i know i can ALWAYS get better.

With Brawl i don't know how much better i can get at it. Apparently Munkus has evolved his game considerably, and i'd love to play him again soon. I have found a new happiness in Brawl with the technical IC's, and the only way to sustain that happiness is if i can go to tourny's and play Brawl. But with all the negative stigma towards Brawl, will they stop having brawl tourny's after the hype goes down? If so then there is no point in my practicing my tech skill. Thats the only thing I'm worried about with Brawl.

However it is an extremely fun game and i hope that it will soon gather more support because i will most definitely support this game in tournament play.

Hopefully i can get this **** router working so i can actually play online soon, and maybe then i won't worry so much about Brawl.
Hmm, that's interesting to see considering that Gimpyfish was all for Brawl at one time. Is there anywhere I can see this?

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
Someone should put gimpyfish into a time machine so he can see the exact same thing said about Melee from a N64 perspective.

Majist

Smash Journeyman
woot, biznatches!! i'm done with school, wheeeeeee. now i can celebrate by doing what i've been doing already rather than study.

someone get online.

or saint, call me and come over. bring your lady:grin:

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
Melee didn't take away anything useful that N64 had.
Sure it did. You couldn't combo people from zero to death anymore. Throws were nerfed to hell.

And his argument was that it's a backwards progression due to the defensive nature of the game anyway, so this is a moot response.

EDIT: In short, stating that a game is a backwards step in progression because of the defensive focus is a fallacy.

-Chad-

Slackerator
Sure it did. You couldn't combo people from zero to death anymore. Throws were nerfed to hell.

And his argument was that it's a backwards progression due to the defensive nature of the game anyway, so this is a moot response.

EDIT: In short, stating that a game is a backwards step in progression because of the defensive focus is a fallacy.
Hit stun was reduced a little, but you could still 0 - death someone given the right situation. Certain characters' throws could still kill and most throws had a purpose other than damage and then the spacing is reset, so I wouldn't really call that nerfing.

The defensive nature of the game(Brawl) comes from the things they took out which gives a lack of options at any given moment and how they changed the game. How is it progression when they take out things that made smash great to begin with?

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
i would say hitstun was reduced morre than a "little"

block stun was also reduced. Edguarding was made more difficult. Throws could kill at regular damages in 64, they changed that for the most part in Melee. because Melee was a different game with a different aim. I dont understand why people don't understand this about brawl.

and you could only 0-death in Melee only with certain characters and only if you were really good at prediction or if your opponent made several mistakes in a row.

in 64, the aim of the game almost was to get death combos.

the only reason Brawl is more defensive is because of the lack of hitstun, and that doesn't make the game worse, it just makes it different. the hitstun and combos isn't "what made smash great to begin with"

There are less movement options in Brawl, but its a different game. There are less movement options in every fighting game. They're different games. The game is not based on doing figure 8's around platforms anymore. If you understand that, then it won't matter than you can't do all that stuff anymore.

sometimes when I play MVC2 or GG, because I play smash so often, I find myself trying to dash dance or short hop only to be reminded I'm limited in my movements. Do I get mad because I don't have these options? No. why?

because its a different game.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
I wasn't aware that crouch canceling and wave dashing were what made smash a great game to begin with.

Janitor made very good points that I don't need to repeat.

j00t

Smash Champion
I'm gonna have to side with Chad on this one. He hit the nail on the head by saying that the lack of options you have at your disposal makes for an increasingly defensive metagame.

The gripes I have with Brawl is this: 1) The increased luck factor that is existant in this game, and 2) The decreasing amount of skill it takes to be good at this game. Bad game design choices such as tripping (The increased luck factor), multiple airdodges (decreased skill), character design (I.e. imbalance), superarmor for all grabs in the game (Although very small amounts of frames, it is still an annoyance) and the decreased effectiveness of edgeguarding also make me favor and appreciate Melee more. As I just told Sunrise, I can't say i'd feel too proud of myself if I was one of the best at Brawl. Actually, I feel a lot better with my skill in Melee than I do in Brawl (Even though i'm better at Brawl, lulz).

If it weren't for the fact that Brawl takes less skill and involves more luck, then i'd actually feel more comfortable with saying that it is a different game. It's different for sure, but in a negative way. However, things may change in the future. If by some miraculous chance someone discovers that you can control tripping, then there'd be a glimmer of hope for me. But as of right now, I heavily favor Melee over Brawl.

EDIT: That's funny coming from a Jigglypuff player. Heheh, j/k buddy >:3

EDIT EDIT:

theONEjanitor said:
sometimes when I play MVC2 or GG, because I play smash so often, I find myself trying to dash dance or short hop only to be reminded I'm limited in my movements. Do I get mad because I don't have these options? No. why?

because its a different game.
This is not really a good point, mainly because the development between said boring unintuitive 2D fighters and the Smash series went in completely different directions. Comparing Smash and its mechanics to a 2D fighter to support the idea that Brawl is a "different game" from Melee is illogical because they are different genres entirely, and as I said before, come from different development standpoints entirely.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
The fact that you consider brawl from the same "development standpoint" as Melee (topped off by a clear bias to Melee's mechanics [GG, in particular is an incredibly deep game]) is the complete and utter source of the entire problem

j00t

Smash Champion
I never said that Brawl carried the same development process as Melee, I generalized it to the Smash series itself. I know that Sakurai wanted to make this game more fit for casual gamers (It's the general direction of the Wii itself, it's safe to assume that Sakurai wanted this) but this idea doesn't magically solve the competitive player's problems with the game. It has its problems that make it take a step backward in terms of competitive play. It's a Smash game, and it will be fun. But on a competitive standpoint, it isn't as good as Melee. Plain and simple.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
I never said that Brawl carried the same development process as Melee, I generalized it to the Smash series itself. I know that Sakurai wanted to make this game more fit for casual gamers (It's the general direction of the Wii itself, it's safe to assume that Sakurai wanted this) but this idea doesn't magically solve the competitive player's problems with the game. It has its problems that make it take a step backward in terms of competitive play. It's a Smash game, and it will be fun. But on a competitive standpoint, it isn't as good as Melee. Plain and simple.
Generalizing it to the smash series is an arbitrary thing to do. Beyond the visual look, general objective, and the fact that the buttons have the same functions, Brawl's gameplay is as different from Melee's as MVC2's is from Melee.

"It isn't as good as Melee" competitively ONLY if your definition of competitively viable is OMG HAS MOAR TECHS, or OMG HAZ MOAR KOMBOZ which I don't know who made those the definition. In fact, I would think HAS MOAR MINDGAMEZ (Brawl) would be a better definition.

j00t

Smash Champion
Any Smashers in Tuscaloosa, AL?

...wait, this question is useless. Tuscaloosa County has optimal connection with anyone anywhere in the state, I just need FCs...

Anyways, I'm a T. Link/Wario/G&W main, touches of other characters, feel free to PM.
Welcome to the Alabama thread! The first post has all the FCs you'll need with AL smashers, so checking there is a good place to start if you want FC's :D

j00t

Smash Champion
Generalizing it to the smash series is an arbitrary thing to do. Beyond the visual look, general objective, and the fact that the buttons have the same functions, Brawl's gameplay is as different from Melee's as MVC2's is from Melee.

"It isn't as good as Melee" competitively ONLY if your definition of competitively viable is OMG HAS MOAR TECHS, or OMG HAZ MOAR KOMBOZ which I don't know who made those the definition. In fact, I would think HAS MOAR MINDGAMEZ (Brawl) would be a better definition.
If you read my post, you'd see that I've been trying to say that Melee isn't as good as Brawl on a competitive standpoint because Brawl focuses less on skill and more on luck. The point of competitive gaming is to have skill determine the best out of a lot of people, is it not? With Brawl, you incorporate more elements of luck into the game that can't be influenced in any way.

And Brawl certainly does not have MOAR MINDGAMEZ than Melee, atleast in my opinion. I think that most of Melee's mindgames were derived from the insane amount of mobility you had in that game. Since Brawl strips that away, it also strips away the ability to form consistent mindgames and also makes it easier to predict your opponent. Just the speed factor alone in Melee allows for more intricate mindgames than Brawl does.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
Brawl is much deeper in terms of tactical thinking than melee. You can't rely on quick fingers to survive a good brawl match.

Top Bottom