• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
T1J, you should look to Marty (GA Peach) for GGX:AC stuff. He plays a mean Anji and did decently at impact clash.

According to Marty's advice though, you should really learn the tech stuff and practice setups. It's like... having the tech down will allow you to put combos on your opponent. Tech skill, then mindgames. www.dustloop.com/ggac/
Who're you maining?

also, you can argue the same thing about melee. Every time you hit a good player, it's because you learned the game or outsmarted them. Since melee's characters are faster, it would actually make more sense. <_<

saintrage

Smash Cadet
well i can see this discussion is going pretty deep, and I'm not experienced enough with smash yet to make any major points, so i'll just stay out of this one. lol

However, I would like to know if we are going to be smashing tomorrow, Friday, or Saturday, the first and the latter being the most likely, because those are the best days for me. I get off work on sat. at 8 and i work till close on Sunday. Friday i don't work and tomorrow i can be there around 8, so whatever is best for you guys.

Who here votes for tomorrow? majist? joot? i need to play you both soon. I've been practicing my marth joot :p so maybe we can gay it up at our next smash fest. Shine vs. Sword

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
heh mookie..good to see you actually doing some modding for a change.. ya lazy bum! =p
I'm not the one who is lazy, I told the staff and mods of this site like 2 years ago to remove my mod status, but they chose not to. It just so happens that I actually view the Atlantic South boards again, and I'll be ****ed if I let ******** threads clutter up the place when I can shut them down :-P.

On a totally different note, when was Final Round? Cause if it was early on in Brawl then I don't really think it's applicable. If you want to beat dudes that aren't very good at Brawl just get Fox and drill to u-tilts. Or if you are me you could just get CF and dthrow to uairs and do tricky grabs. It's not the same as wrecking a newb in melee, and if you don't know how to wreck a newb their randomness will annoy the hell out of you. I was very pissed early on when scrubs would take me to my last stock cause they made tons of mistakes and just unknowingly got away with it cause of the defensive options of brawl, but now it's no longer a problem.
also, you can argue the same thing about melee. Every time you hit a good player, it's because you learned the game or outsmarted them. Since melee's characters are faster, it would actually make more sense. <_<
He's not saying that it wasn't there with melee, he's just saying that there is much more emphasis on playing smart in Brawl cause there isn't much applicable tech skill stuff. Basically, if you weren't a tech heavy melee player you could probably enjoy Brawl pretty well. Sadly, if you liked doing lots of tech heavy stuff you are not going to like Brawl cause there isn't much technique to it at all.

SleepyK

Basically, if you weren't a tech heavy melee player you could probably enjoy Brawl pretty well. Sadly, if you liked doing lots of tech heavy stuff you are not going to like Brawl cause there isn't much technique to it at all.
Well, I still like Game and Watch and Donkey Kong in Barlw and the lack of tech doesn't bother me whatsoever....... but it's so dull!

also,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQvzAO7JR1A

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
T1J, you should look to Marty (GA Peach) for GGX:AC stuff. He plays a mean Anji and did decently at impact clash.

According to Marty's advice though, you should really learn the tech stuff and practice setups. It's like... having the tech down will allow you to put combos on your opponent. Tech skill, then mindgames. www.dustloop.com/ggac/
Who're you maining?

yeah I've seen Marty playing GG at a tourney
I've been playing May since I picked up GG, although I started playing testament after watching some sick combo videos. I have a friend who's decent, (as in, not good compared to tournament players, but ***** me)
I've been to dustloop but it all is just so overwhelming to me

in melee, you may have gotten the first hit from your good spacing or game knowledge, but you get lots of extra free hits for no other reason than your fingers were coordinated and fast enough to do them. In many case you get a free KO based on that one hit 50 percent ago. That's what Reflex was talkin about, Bowser can get a nice hit from reflex's good prediction, but marth and fox etc., can get nine extra hits to a gimp, the majority of those hits requiring no thinking, just muscle memory.
I'm not saying this is a flaw or anything, its just the major difference between melee and brawl. it's also one of the reasons people dislike brawl, and quaintly, the reason that people like reflex and I do like it.

SleepyK

yeah I've seen Marty playing GG at a tourney
I've been playing May since I picked up GG, although I started playing testament after watching some sick combo videos. I have a friend who's decent, (as in, not good compared to tournament players, but ***** me)
I've been to dustloop but it all is just so overwhelming to me
Well, hmm, what exactly about it is overwhelming? The best thing to do is start from the basics and slowly acclimate yourself to the game. By slowly, I mean, slowly. Learn what input is what, learn each technique one by one, etc. to the point that it all translates from text to in-game fluidly. Dip your toes in to feel the water instead of diving into the deep end, ya dig?

in melee, you may have gotten the first hit from your good spacing or game knowledge, but you get lots of extra free hits for no other reason than your fingers were coordinated and fast enough to do them. In many case you get a free KO based on that one hit 50 percent ago. That's what Reflex was talkin about, Bowser can get a nice hit from reflex's good prediction, but marth and fox etc., can get nine extra hits to a gimp, the majority of those hits requiring no thinking, just muscle memory.
I'm not saying this is a flaw or anything, its just the major difference between melee and brawl. it's also one of the reasons people dislike brawl, and quaintly, the reason that people like reflex and I do like it.
the hits aren't automatic or guaranteed; di and whatnot. If anything, Brawl has far more guaranteed hits (zamus downsmash on fox, guaranteed inescapeable chaingrabs, sheik's footstool jump, etc.) and those don't even require fast fingers or muscle memory.

also... we ate a meal inside of Jack!? That might be the hottest video on youtube.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
its just the general sensory overload when first trying to learn a competitive game, I guess. I learned smash, so I guess I can learn GG.
That link you dropped is very organized though and should help a lot.

i have a question tho: how different is AC from GGX2 lol because that's the only one I own at the moment, i'd had to go over a friends to play AC

basically can I learn anything from practicing GGX2 or will it hurt more than help.

SleepyK

its just the general sensory overload when first trying to learn a competitive game, I guess. I learned smash, so I guess I can learn GG.
That link you dropped is very organized though and should help a lot.
oh, yeah. God, I know what you mean, LOL.
That's the trick though. Instead of looking at all the cool advanced stuff, learn the basic basics. Those will stick with you throughout all 2D fighters for the most part anyway, so <_<
Also, according to Marty, GG is a good place to start 2D fighters since it has a lot of tech stuff.

I don't know terribly much about GG, since.. well, I'm being really lazy with learning it <_<

but http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guilty_Gear_XX#Revisions hope that helps

Looks like you should stick to AC if you can. If anything, you can use GGX2 to get some of the basic basics down, I suppose. If you have a slim ps2, marty knows how to mod it with a piece of electrical tape and some tissue, lol.
If you have a fat ps2, you can get a slide tool for fairly cheap.

Oh yeah, as always, don't forget to check the forums. <3

H

HsV.BOSS

I had a great time playing you in Brawl Andrew, olimar is so weird to play against >.<

Hope you come back. Btw did you get to play Andy's Fox in Brawl? its the new metaknight :p
Ah man I'm terrible. I've been a little busy and I forgot to check these boards.

I definitely intend to come back, I really would like to get better at smash.

I didn't get to play against him much, but I really did get stomped.

Edit- Also; Alabama Thread, in depth brawl - melee comparison.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
have you guys heard of Street Fighter II turber HD Remix?
its an updated version of SF2 on 360 with completely updated graphics

theres a mode on the called "balanced mode" which features "balanced" version of the characters.
Capcom actually worked closely with actualy competitive players to create these balanced versions

meanwhile Sakurai tries his hardest to purposely make a game non-competitive, even to the point of making characters randomly ****ing fall on the ground lmfao

SK8orDIE

Smash Apprentice

theres a mode on the called "balanced mode" which features "balanced" version of the characters.
Capcom actually worked closely with actualy competitive players to create these balanced versions

meanwhile Sakurai tries his hardest to purposely make a game non-competitive, even to the point of making characters randomly ****ing fall on the ground lmfao
I love Street Fighter, and will definitely have to play you once that comes out. That's some great info too. Some of the later Virtua Fighter games took the same approach; tuning characters and AI based on competition data. At this point, and in a post-Halo 2 universe, I am of the opinion that console games have no excuse for not allowing patches after the fact.

HSV: when are we smashing? srsly.

EDIT: I suppose some of you might be interested to know that I set up a profile on allisbrawl.

SleepyK

Well, Smash is supposed to be a party game.

<_< i wanna learn 3s, speaking of street fighter. Cornel is super beast at it.

GA Peach

Smash Lord
@Shai Hulud - your claim that fighting games require no thought is ludicrous. the very basis of winning a fighting game is to outsmart your opponent, make him act how you want him/her to, then punishing them for doing so. also, a good friend of mine, Eric, who was one of the world's BEST at Tekken Tag(and also high tournament level in other fighters) often compared movements and possiblities the characters had to a game of chess. the strategy is there, but you have a lot less time to weigh pros and cons of each move you make. chess allows for more time to go over your options.

@MookieRah - i understand your perspective, and maybe mine would change if i played you or Azen or someone, but as i have seen Brawl so far, the game seems very shallow, and offensive options seem extremely weak, except for a few exceptions. the reason i understand is because with my state's best players in Brawl, I am able to do well or win with Peach against characters such as Snake, Metaknight, etc. However, with the way the game works, the powerful characters are allowed to make to many mistakes without being able to be punished for it. Even with great prediction skills, the capabilities given to the defensive player are just too great. as mike g said, a lot of the would-be good players in GA have just stopped playing the game. i got 3rd at FR, and top 5 at the other tournaments I have entered, so i'm not just a random guy talking here. but, have you noticed how Brawl has brought all sorts of random people out of the woodwork, some of them even doing WELL at tournaments? The bottom line is that the skill gap within Brawl is GREATLY diminished from that of Melee or just about any other fighting game I have ever played. If you have played any other game competitively, it's hard to deny that fact. The sheer fact that the dodges have been buffed beyond belief nullify so many strategies, along with tripping. I lost to The Reflex Wonder at a tournament and got 5th because his Wario missed an fsmash, and i walked forward to punish him and finish him off. I tripped, and then he just Fsmashed again. Reflex is a good friend, he's a smart and talented player, but he didn't beat me just off of skill. he was able to land that fsmash due to a random tripping factor in the game. if you can condone a game with a random proning feature in it as competitive, i feel that's crazy. even the game developer seemed as if he wanted to make the game shallow, but that may just be opinion. I'm not biased towards Brawl or Melee, but you can't deny that Brawl just doesn't have the makings of a good, competitive fighter.

@Everyone - play GGXX AC. it's a WAYYY better game than Smash could ever hope to be, both melee and Brawl.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
@Shai Hulud - your claim that fighting games require no thought is ludicrous. the very basis of winning a fighting game is to outsmart your opponent, make him act how you want him/her to, then punishing them for doing so. also, a good friend of mine, Eric, who was one of the world's BEST at Tekken Tag(and also high tournament level in other fighters) often compared movements and possiblities the characters had to a game of chess. the strategy is there, but you have a lot less time to weigh pros and cons of each move you make. chess allows for more time to go over your options.
You misunderstand me. Fighting games require a lot of rapid computation (analogous to TACTICS in chess) but in Smash at least, the strategic elements are generally very shallow, even at the highest levels of play. Every good Marth plays the exact same way against Foxes, for instance, because the strategies (dash-dance camping, chaingrabbing, systematic edgeguarding) are readily comprehensible and duplicable. What is not so easily duplicated is the tactics, i.e., the computation. So the computational elements (calculating opponent trajectory, stringing hits together, rapid probabilistic estimates, etc.) end up far outweighing the strategic elements (long term planning for winning a particular match).

As far as the chess analogy goes, look up tactics vs. strategy to see what I'm talking about. Both are forms of thinking but computers are extremely good at tactics and not too good at strategy, which is why up until recently the best humans could still beat computers. In any fighting game a human could never, ever beat a properly programmed computer.

I'm just saying that to claim Brawl is more strategic than Melee (or requires you to outsmart your opponent to a greater extent) is missing the point because in the big picture, neither game requires a significant amount of strategy (abstract reasoning, long-term planning). It's probably true that in Brawl emphasis has shifted somewhat to strategy over computation because there's just not much to compute, but again, it's a trivial claim.

Basically the thinking in fighting games is rote and mechanical as opposed to abstract and human, which is what we usually mean when we talk about intelligence. The people who can perform the most computations per second and who have the necessary amount of manual dexterity (tech skill) are the ones who rise to the top, not the smartest.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771

When this comes out, watch for me; I'll be all over this. I've been keeping up with this since its first announcement.

They plan on making the remixed version the new tournament standard. <3

Duchock

Smash Journeyman
I didn't ever care much for Street Fighter 2, but I did really, really like Ryu and Ken's bouncy, bouncy pants. I guess I can look forward to seeing them in HD now!

SK8orDIE

Smash Apprentice
I didn't ever care much for Street Fighter 2, but I did really, really like Ryu and Ken's bouncy, bouncy pants. I guess I can look forward to seeing them in HD now!
If you liked that, you should probably check out the bouncy physics on Mai in King of Fighters and the bouncy physics on Psylocke in Marvel vs. Capcom =)

Glad to finally meet the new Huntsville smashers. Will and Adam, welcome. And Will's brother.

Will_

Smash Journeyman
That was great guys, thanks for the training.

My smash name is totally "Will Underscore" now.

Duchock

Smash Journeyman
Please tell me you guys are coming down for the tournament on the 19th. I mean, those of you not moping around the thread about quitting smash (-->MAJIST<--) or hate Brawl passionately (-->JOOT<--).

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Please tell me you guys are coming down for the tournament on the 19th. I mean, those of you not moping around the thread about quitting smash (-->MAJIST<--) or hate Brawl passionately (-->JOOT<--).
I would, but I'm going to FAST1. I can't make it to both. >_<

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
the powerful characters are allowed to make to many mistakes without being able to be punished for it.
This was the same in melee. I played Mewtwo and had a hard time taking advantage of situations that my Marth could have easily followed up on. Peach isn't one of the higher end characters, so you can't expect her to be able to capitalize on the very things that make the best characters the best. If you feel that balance is an issue with Brawl, then I will refer you to many other games with worse balance, but as it stands there is a decent portion of the cast that is tournament viable so I'm ok with it personally.
he was able to land that fsmash due to a random tripping factor in the game. if you can condone a game with a random proning feature in it as competitive, i feel that's crazy.
Everyone who plays Brawl and has a brain knows that tripping is BS, and I definitely wish that **** wasn't in there, but most of the time tripping doesn't end up causing such catastrophic effects in a match. I said before that you could mitigate your risk of tripping by walking instead of dashing, as well as other things. One of the great things about ROB (one of the many reasons I play as him) is that he is able to walk in most cases and land ftilts in time without the need to dash. This is one reason why I rarely trip in situations where it could have devastating effects.
@Everyone - play GGXX AC. it's a WAYYY better game than Smash could ever hope to be, both melee and Brawl.
I would, and I bet many others would too, but the game isn't even close to being as popular as Smash, and there is no way in hell there is anyone good in my area. In the perfect world this wouldn't be the case, but we live in a very unfair place.
. but, have you noticed how Brawl has brought all sorts of random people out of the woodwork, some of them even doing WELL at tournaments? The bottom line is that the skill gap within Brawl is GREATLY diminished from that of Melee or just about any other fighting game I have ever played.
Well there are a lot of things you have to consider. In the beginning of Brawl, a lot of the good players (not counting the true pros, although they dropped out for various reasons.) didn't perform as well as they believed they should and developed a hatred for Brawl. Because of that, A LOT of good players stopped playing Brawl early on. This of course led to openings of lower end players that swarmed in to take their place. If you look at tournament placements, they are still dominated mostly by those of the melee generation that were amongst the top players world wide.

Secondly, you don't take into account that generally skilled players in other competitive games have a lot of inherent skill that can transfer over to Brawl. If nothing else, the mindset of playing to win and the understanding of manipulating your opponent in order to create openings (mind games). Since there isn't much of a tech skill barrier, these kinds of individuals would thrive in Brawl because once they have a good understanding of the game mechanics and a handful of characters they can do very well.

There are definitive skill gaps between players in Brawl, and I will admit that the gaps aren't as large as they were in melee, but they aren't that much shorter. The tech barrier has been mostly removed, but a lot of what made the best players the best wasn't tech based skill, it was just superior mind games, intuition, and application of their available options.

SleepyK

This was the same in melee. I played Mewtwo and had a hard time taking advantage of situations that my Marth could have easily followed up on. Peach isn't one of the higher end characters, so you can't expect her to be able to capitalize on the very things that make the best characters the best. If you feel that balance is an issue with Brawl, then I will refer you to many other games with worse balance, but as it stands there is a decent portion of the cast that is tournament viable so I'm ok with it personally.
Fox and falco off the stage = dead. And it definitely isn't the same. It's much worse in brawl. And he means that he can do well with peach, so the game lacks depth... since peach sucks. It's not a balance issue, although as far as balance goes, neither melee nor brawl were balanced. Brawl less so.

Majist

Smash Journeyman
funny story. me and j00t teamed up in doubles on Brawl last night.

i've never heard him complain so much before.

oh wait...yes i have:grin:

i love you, j00t

j00t

Smash Champion
funny story. me and j00t teamed up in doubles on Brawl last night.

i've never heard him complain so much before.

oh wait...yes i have:grin:

i love you, j00t
Metaknight is broken as bajeebus. Good gawd.

Will_, you're definitely the best person I've seen at Brawl. Even though I hate Brawl, I applaud you, so keep working at it.

DracoFox

Smash Ace
Glad to finally meet the new Huntsville smashers. Will and Adam, welcome. And Will's brother.
Thank you Rob. It was nice meeting you too, and thanks for the ride.

Even though I didn't get to play all of you, I still had fun. Sorry for short words right now, but getting ready for my last job interview.:)

Rigor_Mortis

Smash Cadet
Soup guys. I've been scarce as **** lately due to work, but the projects completely done and I'm ready to whoop some more azz.

My roommates and I are up for hosting another Smash Night at my house with the projector screen if anyone is up for it. We can do Brawl or Melee, or both like last time.

Anyone interested? If you don't have it, my AIM is Alucinara

And I still have someone's waterbottle. :D

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
i'm going to see about having a brawl and melee tournament in tuscaloosa, in august.
possibly August 30. that's the date i'm looking at.
I would have just a melee tourney but all the locals will be like wtf

j00t

Smash Champion
Soup guys. I've been scarce as **** lately due to work, but the projects completely done and I'm ready to whoop some more azz.

My roommates and I are up for hosting another Smash Night at my house with the projector screen if anyone is up for it. We can do Brawl or Melee, or both like last time.

Anyone interested? If you don't have it, my AIM is Alucinara

And I still have someone's waterbottle. :D
Woot. Good stuff! I'd be more than happy to come. :p

Top Bottom