• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
i think they should too.
other than my actual gameplay and my mindset when i play brawl, i think another reasons why i got decent at the game is because i have OCD and getting hit actually annoys the **** out of me...
it seriously annoys me when i get hit.
so i try to do stuff to minimize that from happening.
it is all very amaetur to know not to get hit.
but i still think its funny that subconsciously it bothers my OCD to get hit.

isai must have had OCD when he said "dont get hit." :)

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Hey here's a question

Why are grab release infinites not banned? What possible argument is there for keeping them legal in tournaments?

At least Ice Climber infinites take practice...
Basically, because the SBR is too scared to ban stuff that doesn't completely and totally devolve the game down into Meta Knight dittos.

Not really, lol. But that's the impression I often get from them though. >_>

Bleh... with that in mind it feels like they, as a group, really don't care about the community as a whole- just the elite... which stumps me because, while a lot of its members claim they're not here to help us, they continue to come out with recommended rulesets for some reason.

/lolrant

Winnar

Smash Lord
winnarisyou: lmfao
winnarisyou: hi
winnarisyou: I saw your post in the AL thread
winnarisyou: slam had posted about his OCD
winnarisyou: and then you posted
winnarisyou: and I'm used to slam double posting
winnarisyou: and then also your avatars are almost similar enough to be confused at a glance
winnarisyou: so like I'm reading your post
winnarisyou: thinking it's slam
winnarisyou: and I'm like
winnarisyou: wow, wait wow
winnarisyou: slam wow good ****
winnarisyou: you are like
winnarisyou: using punctuation and sentence structure wow
dudeguy8: ;D
winnarisyou: XD
dudeguy8: omg
winnarisyou: amazing

lmfao slam <3

Also that stuff about OCD and not getting hit is awesome I wish I had that XD

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
*sigh* Another anime rushed ending.

<.< I should probably just start back on Slap up Party.

Duchock

Smash Journeyman
Banning chain grabs on Ness won't help him much :(

And since I've got my keyboard in Weeaboo mode already... ネス

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
Just institute a rule that a Ness player may use the start button to interrupt the timing of a standing infinite.

Bam. Counter.

I SEE YOU

Smash Ace
Basically, because the SBR is too scared to ban stuff that doesn't completely and totally devolve the game down into Meta Knight dittos.
I was playing Ness A LOT last week and having A LOT of fun doing it. When i asked my brother "why aren't these silly grab release infinites not banned?" He answered me with the Meta Knight Dittos logic...

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
But isn't Dedede's standing infinites banned? They limit it to 3 before he has to move. Why not just make infinites on Ness the same way?

Don't get me wrong I'd love to beat Winnar, but not with a cheap Infinite.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
The key to beating Winnar is hard countering his Falcon with Squirtle.

Pika_Cam

Smash Ace
I guess the main argument is "Don't get grabbed."

Same one for ICs. Yeah, it takes practice, but the end result is the same.

Winnar

Smash Lord
Banning chain grabs on Ness won't help him much :(

And since I've got my keyboard in Weeaboo mode already... ネス
Dude that is the ONLY reason why I don't play Ness more.

Just institute a rule that a Ness player may use the start button to interrupt the timing of a standing infinite.

Bam. Counter.
<_< I really don't think there's any timing to interrupt...it's just L + AAAAAAAAAAAAA...

I was playing Ness A LOT last week and having A LOT of fun doing it. When i asked my brother "why aren't these silly grab release infinites not banned?" He answered me with the Meta Knight Dittos logic...
Dude I know it's lame as hell.

At least I'm pretty sure AL TO's got this **** on lock

But isn't Dedede's standing infinites banned? They limit it to 3 before he has to move. Why not just make infinites on Ness the same way?

Don't get me wrong I'd love to beat Winnar, but not with a cheap Infinite.
It's TO dependent, iirc. The BR doesn't really give a **** about anyone who isn't playing a MK ditto. At major tournaments it's the same way. All infinites are legal up to 200% or 300% or something

Funny thing is I got no grudge against people who would do the infinite because they want to win, only on the community/TO's who would keep it legal

Also Kola you might beat me without having to infinite

The key to beating Winnar is hard countering his Falcon with Squirtle.
XD Yeah well that IS one of his worst matchups

(but i still beat you with him lolol)

I guess the main argument is "Don't get grabbed."

Same one for ICs. Yeah, it takes practice, but the end result is the same.
<<

Anyone who plays ICs or has played against ICs knows that this is impossible for most if not all characters.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
dude
i hate grammar.
hahahahaha
<3

seriously on even my college papers i use horrible grammar and write totally wrong.
its cool though.
its basically how i talk i guess.

me and janitor are the best posters here :)

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
also ness has soooooo much potential if it wasnt for those grabs i guess.
the "dont get grabbed" logic works for charecters like wario and stuff because you have allot of mobility to not get grabbed.
but ness.... not so much...

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
There are characters that don't have standing infinites on him, so it's not like it's the only thing thats keeping him from winning tournaments.

Ness just isn't tournament material, obviously.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
also ness has soooooo much potential if it wasnt for those grabs i guess.
the "dont get grabbed" logic works for charecters like wario and stuff because you have allot of mobility to not get grabbed.
but ness.... not so much...
Ness has a nice F-Air, though, and an interesting mid-air jump. I think he can manage.

Winnar

Smash Lord
There are characters that don't have standing infinites on him, so it's not like it's the only thing thats keeping him from winning tournaments.

Ness just isn't tournament material, obviously.
Consider this: You enter a tournament wherein you play potentially 6 sets. You fight a MK, Snake, Falcon, Ness, Marth, and DDD player. In each match it essentially comes down to player versus player, besting one another in wits, spacing, and game knowledge. Each match EXCEPT for Ness. For Ness, you might play the first game of the set as Diddy, your main. Let's say you lose game 1. You CP squirtle or marth. You get 3 grabs and consequently 3 stock him (if he hadn't already forfeited the game). It's now 1-1 and you pick squirtle/marth again. You have effectively made the Ness main unable to main Ness.
:\

Also f-air is good...but I don't think f-air is THAT good.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
The chain grab is more than just holding down shield and hammering A, because I've done that with Charizard and it doesn't always work.

Besides, changing the rules for a standing grab would really effect Ness in low tiers. Ness is one of the most popular low-tier characters (at least down here) and being able to standing chain grab him does make a stock difference.

EDIT: Will_, can you remind me of the dates for the pokemon tourney and the brawl tourney at the Huntsville Play N Trade?

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Anyone in the Huntsville area up for Brawl/Melee tonight?

I'll gladly play either.

Brawl is preferred though. Maybe we could give Brawl+ another shot too, haha. I'm down with any Smash.

edit: Mslano, you're going to the tourney this next weekend, right? Would you mind if I caught a ride with yah? We'd split gas monies.

Really, if anyone here is going to the tournament I'd love to hitch a ride.

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
No Birmingham would not like to smash

we're allergic to hanging out with other cool people.

Well being serious, I have people over tonight. : ( I can't host or go anywhere.

Will_

Smash Journeyman
EDIT: Will_, can you remind me of the dates for the pokemon tourney and the brawl tourney at the Huntsville Play N Trade?
Sure, I know they're doing something in February. I think we're setting up a Tatsunoko v Capcom release tourney in late Jan. I'll post you dates when I get them.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I mostly want to know what I can do up close. I WANT to use a spaced Ftilt or dtilt like I can on other characters, but I just get hit out of it when fighting another Meta.
Up close... Try to prevent yourself from getting very close to your opponent in the first place. And punish them for getting too close.

If you can't avoid it, roll away, use a rising & retreating d-air/n-air, or keep shielding if you think they'll attack... those are your best options, imo. If you're certain they'll use an aerial or something then upb out of shield works wonders. It's easily punishable though.

As far as spacing with ftilt and dtilt goes, you can definitely do those things in the ditto. But still... you'll have learn where it's safe to do them... and when... through practice. For a good reference, I recommend watching some of Red Hal berd's many dittos with Sei brik. Hal berd typically does an excellent job of spacing those two attacks correctly- dash attack... not so much. (avoiding name searching here, because I know they'll find me. <.<... eeeeeeeek)

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
lolololol.

I don't know how my brother does it, but he makes over aggro meta work in dittos.

Dan have you played him since TCS?

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I played him at one of Zero Gamer's tournaments.

I was practicing ICs then, so... I really can't remember if I used MK against him or not. Think I went ICs. I know I did the first match.

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
Oh ICs right

Bah this tournament is coming up rather quickly. I might have to pause my ZSS building and work with Marth for the rest of the week if I want to play my best at this tournament.

Top Bottom