• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
the reason chaingrab **** isn't banned

is because you dont ban techniques in competitive video games unless it is literally LITERALLY broken (or unless it stalls/prevents match from being played/etc.) and almost nothing in any decent video games besides cheat codes and hidden things are LITERALLY broken. for some reason the brawl community thinks its correct to ban things because they havent figured out how to beat it. that's not really how it works

we are playing a game. we have decided to play this game.

and either it is competitive or it is not competitive

if it isn't then stop playing it and find a new game.

don't make these vague, borderline rules that devolve the game into an incoherent mess of "what can and can i not do and how close can i get without breaking the rule"

you may only grab release 2 times. ok well i'm going to grab relase 2 times. let go run away and then do it again.

this is why i say the brawl community is scrubby.
in stead of getting together as a community and figuring out if theres a counter to this, or discussing the most effective ways to avoid getting grabbed. etc.

we just scream BAN BAN BAN BAN WE CANT BEAT IT SO LETS BAN IT

as I posted in the other thread. will_ has won tournaments in Alabama with ness. no johns.

this would apply imo even if it were tru that ness is "unplayable". which is ****ing ******** and absurd.
Kirby is "unplayable" in melee. virtually the entire low tier is unplayble in melee because of sheik and marth. but no one ever screamed BAN MARTH AND SHEIK THEY MAKE CHARACTERS UNPLAYABLE

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
It's not like Winnar is whining because he cant win, he just wonders why such a tactic that is banned with Dedede isn't banned to characters that can infinite Ness. I'm pretty sure he stated he didn't want to start some major crusade to fight to get it banned, he just wanted opinions. He doesn't play the game much anyway.

In response to the run and regrab. That would be much harder to do than stand there, tilt the control stick slightly forward and regrab. It takes absolutely no skill. I learned it just from reading it and mastered it in a matter of 10 seconds.

We don't scream BAN because we cant beat it, we say ban it because it bothers people in the community. The people in the backroom and people that are Pro in this game understand things that we do not. Which is why they don't ban most of the crap we want them to.

We as a community are not scrubs. I'm tired of that statement.

Winnar

Smash Lord
the reason chaingrab **** isn't banned

is because you dont ban techniques in competitive video games unless it is literally LITERALLY broken (or unless it stalls/prevents match from being played/etc.) and almost nothing in any decent video games besides cheat codes and hidden things are LITERALLY broken. for some reason the brawl community thinks its correct to ban things because they havent figured out how to beat it. that's not really how it works

we are playing a game. we have decided to play this game.

and either it is competitive or it is not competitive

if it isn't then stop playing it and find a new game.

don't make these vague, borderline rules that devolve the game into an incoherent mess of "what can and can i not do and how close can i get without breaking the rule"

you may only grab release 2 times. ok well i'm going to grab relase 2 times. let go run away and then do it again.

this is why i say the brawl community is scrubby.
in stead of getting together as a community and figuring out if theres a counter to this, or discussing the most effective ways to avoid getting grabbed. etc.

we just scream BAN BAN BAN BAN WE CANT BEAT IT SO LETS BAN IT

as I posted in the other thread. will_ has won tournaments in Alabama with ness. no johns.

this would apply imo even if it were tru that ness is "unplayable". which is ****ing ******** and absurd.
Kirby is "unplayable" in melee. virtually the entire low tier is unplayble in melee because of sheik and marth. but no one ever screamed BAN MARTH AND SHEIK THEY MAKE CHARACTERS UNPLAYABLE
stop that

You're drunk, right?

Right?

But if you really want me to address what you said...read my posts.

Honestly dude you really gonna try and make a straw man out of me?

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
He's unplayable by himself in a competitive tournament environment where everyone plays to win.

Just clearing that up... <_<

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
Janitor, do you think that, once a game is released to be played in a competitive environment, that it should no longer be patched?

Just curious. Because the banning of techniques or maneuvers is a way to facilitate 'soft-patching' of a game. This is especially relevant if the technique departs from the intent of the game, which a standing infinite grab arguably does.

Zero_Gamer

Smash Master
Also, I like how DyllanGR is so considerate of others by saying players' names like Red Halberd, Cactuar, Seibrik, Dark Hart, Dr. Peepee, Tope, Cyrain, Mew2king, Chillin, Azen, Chu Dat(A$$), Kage, Dashizwiz, Ace, Ganondorf, Ken, Ryu, Zangief, ihavespaceballs, Husband, Wife, teczero, DMG, Dogysamich, Mike G, Emblem Lord, Ragnarock, Duo, Mitsurugi, Rockcrock, Sudai, etc.

Except with a space in between them so they don't see his posts.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
No, if he really wanted to be an asterisks he would have put their names into the title of a huge post.

So it would still show up in search-fields but they would never be able to find their names within the text.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Also, I like how DyllanGR is so considerate of others by saying players' names like Red Halberd, Cactuar, Seibrik, Dark Hart, Dr. Peepee, Tope, Cyrain, Mew2king, Chillin, Azen, Chu Dat(A$$), Kage, Dashizwiz, Ace, Ganondorf, Ken, Ryu, Zangief, ihavespaceballs, Husband, Wife, teczero, DMG, Dogysamich, Mike G, Emblem Lord, Ragnarock, Duo, Mitsurugi, Rockcrock, Sudai, etc.

You're cute.

lol, Ganondorf. Who searches that? xD

I wonder how many of them won't be able to resist the urge to read my edit, lol.

Duchock

Smash Journeyman
Janitor, do you think that, once a game is released to be played in a competitive environment, that it should no longer be patched?

Just curious. Because the banning of techniques or maneuvers is a way to facilitate 'soft-patching' of a game. This is especially relevant if the technique departs from the intent of the game, which a standing infinite grab arguably does.
I haven't been reading the relevant posts to this topic, so I dunno where people stand on it. Just throwing my two cents out there.

There are plenty of competitive games out that get patched. Warcraft 3, during it's hay day, was patched constantly. Not to mention WoW arenas. They completely evolve with every patch. The same can go for competitive card games: Magic the Gathering is consistently releasing new blocks and sets. Each one essentially changes the way the game's played. While that example is more just adding to a holistic competitive medium, it's still the same idea.

Patching a game already popular and already being played competitively gives new players a more level playing field, keeps old players from being stagnant with their playstyles, and in general, keeps the game new and exciting for everyone.

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master

You know, I post in this topic on a semi-regular basis anyway, so you aren't really testing anything by putting my name there.

OverLade

Smash Hero

Sup guys.

If you want me to namesearch your post faster, dont put a space in RedHalberd ^_^.

It really is too much work trying to namesearch both...

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor

no one who plays a game competitively should ever speak of "intent" in the game.
especially people who play smash, which was literally not "intended" to be competitive.

the difference between SF4 programmers and brawl scrubs
is that SF4 programmers are professionals with decades of experience making competitive fighting games
brawl scrubs are just kids who don't want to deal with a tactic they find frustrating

but honestly whether or not a game gets patched makes no difference.
brawl players are the ONLY players. ONLY ONLY ONLY. PLAYERS. that have this 'ban everything' mindset.
every one else says "thats an interest tech lets learn more about it and try to beat it" it doesn't even occur to them to ban it.

NO OTHER FIGHTING GAME COMMUNITY HAS USED THE WORD "BAN" AS MUCH AS BRAWL COMMUNITY

either brawl is a non-competitive broken game

OR THE BRAWL COMMUNITY IS A NATION OF SCRUBS

i mean i dont really care what you guys ban any more its already clear to me that the brawl community ******** and this game is going nowhere
but my main reason was to respond to the question of "why the BRoomers don't ban everything in brawl"
the answer is because they are slightly less scrubby than everyone else.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
There are so many fallacies there that I may just weep.

Oh God, and the hyperbole.

Excuse me while I got look up street fighter and...yes. Street Fighter II was made in 1991. Decades of experience you say?

Winnar

Smash Lord
no one who plays a game competitively should ever speak of "intent" in the game.
especially people who play smash, which was literally not "intended" to be competitive.

the difference between SF4 programmers and brawl scrubs
is that SF4 programmers are professionals with decades of experience making competitive fighting games
brawl scrubs are just kids who don't want to deal with a tactic they find frustrating

but honestly whether or not a game gets patched makes no difference.
brawl players are the ONLY players. ONLY ONLY ONLY. PLAYERS. that have this 'ban everything' mindset.
every one else says "thats an interest tech lets learn more about it and try to beat it" it doesn't even occur to them to ban it.

NO OTHER FIGHTING GAME COMMUNITY HAS USED THE WORD "BAN" AS MUCH AS BRAWL COMMUNITY

either brawl is a non-competitive broken game

OR THE BRAWL COMMUNITY IS A NATION OF SCRUBS

i mean i dont really care what you guys ban any more its already clear to me that the brawl community ******** and this game is going nowhere
but my main reason was to respond to the question of "why the BRoomers don't ban everything in brawl"
the answer is because they are slightly less scrubby than everyone else.

Mike G

███████████████ 100%
BRoomer
You know, I post in this topic on a semi-regular basis anyway, so you aren't really testing anything by putting my name there.
and I'm a mod. It's my freakin un-paid job to lurk in here wtf. But I don't post because most of you guys are anti-mods and make us sit in the beat seat of the bus and make us drink only from our mod-water fountains >_>

j00t

Smash Champion
<3 Mike G

I'm not anti-mod

maybe it's because I've met you IRL and know that you are an awesome person.

unlike most of the people in here

Duchock

Smash Journeyman
and I'm a mod. It's my freakin un-paid job to lurk in here wtf. But I don't post because most of you guys are anti-mods and make us sit in the beat seat of the bus and make us drink only from our mod-water fountains >_>
WTF!? Why is there a mod posting here!? GTFO!

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
Anyone watched Toradora? I'm liking it so far.
I have

It was interesting, I wasn't the biggest fan of the ending but overall it was a pretty good anime. I love comedy and romance.

If you like Toradora! Please watch Zero No Tsukaima. You'd love it even more.

Mahgnittoc

Smash Ace
I want it to be white. And I'm not making them. This guy in the KittyCorp board mad it for me but im gonna ask him to redo it cause the shirt looks to bland. I'm asking him to put diddy's stars back on the shirt and maybe fix the white coloring of the shirt. Dunno, I still need to see it in game first.

Also its crimson not red.

/***hole

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
Then tell him to make a Marth one :D

Plus if you're going to get that texture why not show it off at the tournament. We wont bite/****/rob you we promise. But your parents wouldn't believe that would they?

Mahgnittoc

Smash Ace
Yeah. I know I reeeeaaaaaallly want to go to a tourney but it seems like my car is barely functioning right now. Like I had to take out the radio because some cord kept shorting out the fuel pump. I dunno, maybe we can try on Sunday for a smashfest since Monday is MLK Day (woo!). We'll just have to wait and see.

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
*frown*

Thats a bummer bro, but if there is a way you should try.

Btw Brawl starts earlier for this one, so you'll be able to go there, get your stuff done, and get out to make it seem like it was a smashfest lol. Except you'd miss crews.

Zero_Gamer

Smash Master
If you like Toradora and Zero no Tsukaima, you'll probably like Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni,

and then you'll probably like Air, Kanon, and Clannad,

and then you'll like Kampfer, Rosario+Vampire, and Sekirei,

and then you're a loli.

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
Mahg, xD smashfests are everywhere.

Higurashi No Naku Noro Ni?

I've seen Air, Kanon, and Clannad all are great.

I've also seen Kampfer and Sekirei, xD those were not so great.

So no I'm not a loli

Top Bottom