• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

MLEsis

Smash Journeyman
FAP2=cannot attend Holy Smash.

*sigh, I would love to visit Fl again, but funds dictate that the possibility is nonexistent for Zero and myself.

Just googled location...I sighed even harder when I found out it was Lake Alfred and how close it is to our hometown, Lakeland.

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
Russ, there's a popular future biography on you. It's pretty good. When did you learn to play the guitar?

and bah AIM? xP you don't use your msn any?

Zero_Gamer

Smash Master
I need your unscrub guide
You should play Melee, at least to broaden your understanding of General Smash. That's why I learned Melee at first way back when, but now I really enjoy it, even if Falco exists.

makes me wish i still had my gamecube, i'd atleast be able to practice my techs q.q
so instead of trying to practice infront of people and looking like a scrub, i play a bunch of random stuff and blazblue >.>

i do bad around a crowd ...
You just do bad in general! I'll let you borrow the wii for a good, long time, I guess, so you can practice and stuff, but only if you actually have the drive to get good. The only reason I haven't bothered to teach you anything about anything is because I don't think you have any initiative about competitive gaming whatsoever.

D

Deleted member

You may be bad at Melee, but you can never get better if you give up and stop playing.

NinjaFoxX

Banned via Warnings
of course, there was never much of a melee community when i wanted to play, so i never got into it and just played sucky brawl matches making my self a MK killer with Yoshi. while hilarious i eventually lost my competitive drive(or maybe it was never there because the whole time i knew melee was the better game and didint have anyone to play it with, and geting better in brawl didint seem worth it)

as long as ive been here you would think by now i'd have plenty of people to play with, but...
this game lives on, its still not too late to do amazing things with it instead of just watching them...

zero, its not like you cant teach me anything, seeing as i already pretty much know everything. i just fail hard at execution.

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
You should play Melee, at least to broaden your understanding of General Smash. That's why I learned Melee at first way back when, but now I really enjoy it, even if Falco exists.
o: but I do play Melee. Just not very often

i have msn
neato

txh120@hotmail.com xP I'll log on more I guess

though I should really get AIM for Winnar and a few other online buddies sake too.

You may be bad at Melee, but you can never get better if you give up and stop playing.
xD very true, the same goes with any other game I suppose. I'm not saying I'm against giving it more of a drive, I was simply stating it annoyed me. For now anyway.

of course, there was never much of a melee community when i wanted to play, so i never got into it and just played sucky brawl matches making my self a MK killer with Yoshi. while hilarious i eventually lost my competitive drive(or maybe it was never there because the whole time i knew melee was the better game and didint have anyone to play it with, and geting better in brawl didint seem worth it)

as long as ive been here you would think by now i'd have plenty of people to play with, but...
this game lives on, its still not too late to do amazing things with it instead of just watching them...

zero, its not like you cant teach me anything, seeing as i already pretty much know everything. i just fail hard at execution.
:I You appear to give less of a drive than I do. You could be much better if you spent more time on fighters instead of grind fest. (I'll be downloading that game tonight btw)

I have no idea what you are talking about.
But you do! You're just hiding it from us xP

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
playing brawl and melee back and forth makes me better at both

sleepyk's unscrub copypasta is cool but it ignores the fact that most of the melee scene are players who have been playing for 5+ years, and only smash prodigies could hope to really catch up to them in any reasonable amount of time

granted, i've also been playing for 5+ years lol but ill never been great at a game where tech skill is so important

but that doesn't mean you can't get good enough to compete with other bham scrubs and have fun with the game and keep getting better and get second to last in OOS tournaments and maybe steal a victory from a rusty veteran

and mckilla theres always something to learn, you don't "know everything". if you're talking about melee, I doubt you know very much at all imo.

Winnar

Smash Lord
That's not necessarily true. There's a lot of hidden, subtle knowledge that comes between your definition of knowing the game inside and out and being able to apply it. The better I get at melee, the more I realize how little I knew about the game. I'm seeing more and more whenever I watch top players now that was completely lost on me beforehand.

You can know a lot of facts about melee without being able to have a good understanding of how the game works.

though I should really get AIM for Winnar and a few other online buddies sake too.
Yes.

Also, play more melee. Just trust me, it gets infinitely more fun and has so much more depth after you start really getting into it.

playing brawl and melee back and forth makes me better at both

sleepyk's unscrub copypasta is cool but it ignores the fact that most of the melee scene are players who have been playing for 5+ years, and only smash prodigies could hope to really catch up to them in any reasonable amount of time

[...]

and mckilla theres always something to learn, you don't "know everything". if you're talking about melee, I doubt you know very much at all imo.
I agree with all of this except the bolded portion. I don't really think you have to be naturally good at smash or w/e, you just have to want it more. I guess a better way to put it is that more important than natural talent is a drive to improve. NES n00b went from being mad scrub to being sooooo good in like a year or a year and a half or w/e. I've been trying to match his pace as well as I can since I started really playing melee again about a year ago.

aka no johns etc etc

Zero_Gamer

Smash Master
I sympathize with Winnar on drive being very important on improving. Unfortunately, I have the most initiative in getting better at fighting games than Smash, but I want to be great at everything.

I feel like I'm very close to that extra level of play, but I haven't pushed myself into it just yet. As long as there are people to play, then I'll hopefully improve.

Also, Russ, you should Smash with me. It'll be the last day you see my great beard.

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
So I just finished epi 1 of panty and stockings.

<.<........this is looking pretty terrible so far

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
T1J you p wrong

winnar got it covered

mc killa there's a strong difference between knowing on paper and actually understanding and utilizing it through playing. afaik i'd tap you with my kirby harder than i tapped Naixin with my bowser

Zero you close to "next level" but i'd still tap :dazwa:

j00t

Smash Champion
who the **** is that in Zero's avatar anyways

I'D TAP SLEEPYK'S BOWSER WITH MY PICHU hurr hurr

shaSLAM

Smash Lord

maintaining a competitve mindset is not easy. not at all. i feel like throwing my controller down and saying f it about 5 times a day bc of stupid brawl and stupid game mechanincs. but there is a way to get better. and there is always room for improvement.

oh and also it is important to remember number one rule. no johns for why youre not good. but like... i john mad hard.

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
It shows the will to win. Not caring for the bad looks/thoughts you'd get as winning. I mean if you're playing to win it should get more respect in the long run right? But just picking up the character doesn't help. You'd also have to win with it.

NinjaFoxX

Banned via Warnings
^why i play yoshi over metaknight, i'd rather hone my skill for a character i want to be good with, if it takes more effort than the guy playing MK thats fine by me...its good if i get around other people who want to get better aswell, we should really go to more tourneys guys.

btw kola, i just saw ep.9 of P&S/G....
lets just say GAINAX BEING GAINAX NEVER CHANGES,ITS NOT ON TTGL SCALE BUT MAN I WTF'D
waits for someone to die kamina style

Top Bottom