• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
You can learn something from playing good players. Expecting to lose doesn't mean that you're not gonna try.

A smart player knows how to keep himself safe in ways that weaker players don't understand. It's really not "getting lucky in rock-paper-scissors" until everyone is playing with all of their potential options.

I end up losing some matches because I feel like actually fighting instead of playing the game the way it's supposed to be played if you're trying to win. I'm not good at running away; I'm always trying to use it as an excuse to get surprise hits.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
You can learn something from playing good players. Expecting to lose doesn't mean that you're not gonna try.

A smart player knows how to keep himself safe in ways that weaker players don't understand. It's really not "getting lucky in rock-paper-scissors" until everyone is playing with all of their potential options.

I end up losing some matches because I feel like actually fighting instead of playing the game the way it's supposed to be played if you're trying to win. I'm not good at running away; I'm always trying to use it as an excuse to get surprise hits.
I might have read into "expecting to lose" too much.

Rock paper scissors is not a very big source of variance in smash, but the other things that cause upsets are less concrete.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
"Only top 3 good in AL"... relative to what? Relative to you?, slam & t1j? To Reflex? To the top players on a national level that get to play with a million other people in their local scene? well no ****, dude. We live in an incredibly population sparse state. Get your head out of your *** and think about what you're saying.

oh ma gad.

All the better states are... waaa... MORE DENSELY POPULATED. WELL ILL BE DAMNED.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
you dont understand my mindset. My play is not affected by whether or not i believe I am going to win or lose. When am I in the middle of the match, I am not thinking "this is a match i will lose". I am focused on the match. Before I sit down and play I assume I will lose but i am not 100% certain i will. brawl is not a rock paper scissors game. brawl is a game of knowing matchups and knowing whats safe in those matchups. good players know this better than bad players. they do not often put themselves in situations where there is even a moderate chance they will get punished. EDIT: reflex posted basically a similar idea at the same time as me.

I don't learn anything solid about the game if I do some random bull**** that probably never works and get lucky and take a game off of reflex. or at least that's not the strategy I'm going for. I don't think "going for fancy gimps" is an optimal way to play brawl, and I am almost never going to try to do that even in matches where i'm confident that I'll win. tournament matches is by no means the time to be trying out random risky **** that you don't have any idea about.

i am very analytical and realistic. My mindset is the least of my worries when it comes to matches. When i lose matches it is never because i had a 'poor mindset' at least not anymore.

i think people are thinking that I don't try because I think i'm going to lose. I'm telling you that's not the case. I do very well in my matches with reflex from iron brawl as you guys will see when the videos get uploaded.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
"Only top 3 good in AL"... relative to what? Relative to you?, slam & t1j? To Reflex? To the top players on a national level that get to play with a million other people in their local scene? well no ****, dude. We live in an incredibly population sparse state. Get your head out of your *** and think about what you're saying.

oh ma gad.

All the better states are... waaa... MORE DENSELY POPULATED. WELL ILL BE DAMNED.
as i mentioned before i am not "comparing regions". i am saying people who are "good" dont consistently make common, repetitive mistakes, everyone in alabama that i am familar with routinely makes common low level repetitive mistakes and show a routine and consistent lack of knowledge of many matchups.. I am using an objective scale of 'knowing how to play the game correctly.' I can watch any random person without knowing what region they are from and tell you if they are "good" based on what they do in the matches they play. It makes sense that areas with more people who play the game will have more good players because they will naturally have more opportunities to practice. But that is mostly irrelevant. actually i not even sure if you're disagreeing with me. i dont know what point your making besides the obvious point that states with more opportunities to practice have more good players ? im not sure anyone has disputed that

and to be honest, Alabama and the surrounding areas has kind of a lot of people who are interested in competitive brawl, we just have a history of having a very disorganized tournament scene and for some reason we have few people willing to travel... so BIGUPS TO ASL for attempting to do something about that.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
as i mentioned before i am not "comparing regions". i am saying people who are "good" dont consistently make common, repetitive mistakes, everyone in alabama that i am familar with routinely makes common low level repetitive mistakes and show a routine and consistent lack of knowledge of many matchups.. I am using an objective scale of 'knowing how to play the game correctly.' I can watch any random person without knowing what region they are from and tell you if they are "good" based on what they do in the matches they play. It makes sense that areas with more people who play the game will have more good players because they will naturally have more opportunities to practice. But that is mostly irrelevant. actually i not even sure if you're disagreeing with me. i dont know what point your making besides the obvious point that states with more opportunities to practice have more good players ? im not sure anyone has disputed that
My point is you're using an arbitrary skill measurement scale to insult your local community for no reason.

Guess who ADHD thinks is your "bad" on his scale?- his scale being bad players make the mistakes he doesn't make? Probably every player in every state connected to Alabama. He doesn't say that **** tho because there's no goddamn point. It's a matter of perspective.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
My point is you're using an arbitrary skill measurement scale to insult your local community for no reason.

Guess who ADHD thinks is your "bad" on his scale?- his scale being bad players make the mistakes he doesn't make? Probably every player in every state connected to Alabama. He doesn't say that **** tho because there's no goddamn point. It's a matter of perspective.
no. players like p1, reflex, and kismet get respect as solid players at the national level.
because they're good. I've heard reflex described by m2k and other top players as "one of the smartest players I know." Even when George was doing really well, Lee Martin i believe called him "the best kirby I've ever played" or something to that effect. there's bad, there's good, and theres great.

adhd is great. if he thinks people that aren't as good as him are bad, that's kind of ******** because theres only like 4 people total that are as good as him. he's on an level beyond 99.99 percent of people who play this game. but in terms people who know how to play this game and don't make ******** mistakes every match. there's lot of people nationwide, and theres only about 3 or 4 people in alabama. to some extent I guess its my own definition of "good". but "knowing matchups and not making mistakes and not going on auto pilot" seems to be a pretty fair definition of "good".

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
so dan, youre saying there is no way to measure skill level in a competitve video game?

everyone can be compared to everyone else because WE ARE ALL PLAYING THE SAME GAME.

alabama sucks in comparision to the south east. in comparision to the rest of the US we suck even more. we're better than tenessee thats about it. other than that we are one of the worst states that has a scene in it that is pretty damn active.

wannna argue that? because i sure as hell can and it sure as hell is the truth.

why are we saying we suck? what good does it do? so people can wake the **** up and start learning things and realize how much room we have to improve. i dont see that as a bad thing if people could just see how much they could improve. you came back on here after like three years and made the most pointless post of your life. and angerly at that.
you wanna defend alabama and make up excuses thats cool with me im gonna stay right here in reality *claps

thats not to say that we dont have some really good players if we are only comparing alabama to alabama though. if we wanna pretend like we are the only state that matters and the way we play smash is just fine and dandy then we really do have alot of really good players. but i'd like to see us get a little more proffesional.

im probably the worst of the worst here so dont think im saying this bc i think im good or something. you guys are just insistantttt on defending some bull**** that doesnt even matter cuz youre defending something that sucks

id like to see someone at least question why this discussion is even going on and maybe go expand their brawl horizans or something productive to come of it. but no all you guys wanna do is spout random, asenine facts and argue legistics and the logic used in an argument. you guys have a brain. use it to figure out why people are saying stuff, what drives them to say it, what they actually mean, and how correct they are. dont use it to ignore all of your built in observational skills and pretend like having a "debate" about random things and definitions of words used in the correct context and other bull**** like that.

you guys have like no common sense at all. you know what me and jnaitor are saying stop pretending like you dont or maybe you guys really are just that dumb of people geez. i dont have to have someone tell me word for word and explain every little facite of something to understand what they are talking about.

its like if your mom told you to go clean the toilet and seemed upset at you when she said it. you guys would pull out a ****ing dictionary and look up the meaning of a toilet first of all, even though you use it every day, then image search facial expressions find out which one she came closest to making. google search why and how people interact with each other and how men came to exist ont he planet. etc etc.

id think shed be pissed cuz i pissed all over the toilet seat, which i knew i did (and you knew you did in this scenario)

*Cam*

Smash Lord
so dan, youre saying there is no way to measure skill level in a competitve video game?

everyone can be compared to everyone else because WE ARE ALL PLAYING THE SAME GAME.

alabama sucks in comparision to the south east. in comparision to the rest of the US we suck even more. we're better than tenessee thats about it. other than that we are one of the worst states that has a scene in it that is pretty damn active.
Where's your proof for that? We lose to Georgia for the most part, okay. But on what basis are you coming to the conclusion that we are one of the worst states? Is it just speculation or do you have a reason for it?

why are we saying we suck? what good does it do? so people can wake the **** up and start learning things and realize how much room we have to improve. i dont see that as a bad thing if people could just see how much they could improve. you came back on here after like three years and made the most pointless post of your life. and angerly at that.
you wanna defend alabama and make up excuses thats cool with me im gonna stay right here in reality *claps

thats not to say that we dont have some really good players if we are only comparing alabama to alabama though. if we wanna pretend like we are the only state that matters and the way we play smash is just fine and dandy then we really do have alot of really good players. but i'd like to see us get a little more proffesional.
Let's say your first point is correct, which I am not granting overall. What solution are you suggesting to make us "more professional?" We are already having tournaments every 3 or so weeks, and our players are starting to attend more OoS tournaments in the southeast. If you think there is a major problem, then propose a solution.

If you want us to take your assertions seriously, then first you need to provide proof to back them up. Next, you still would need to argue why we should care even if we are the worst state. Perhaps in the middle of it all, you could argue why we should look at it in such a negative light instead of sticking with positive reinforcement. Finally, you could propose a solution to our state's problem.

You say it's obvious that our state is in this weak position. Not to be difficult or to just argue, but I say it's not obvious. If it is so obvious to you, then proof should not be very hard to come by.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
but i'd like to see us get a little more proffesional.
I got mad and stopped reading right there. It's not like we don't have one of the most organized and well-run scenes in the world. No, that's not an exaggeration.

Slam, you just throw **** out there and tell me I should accept it as the truth.

TheSaintKai

Smash Ace
If you want us to take your assertions seriously, then first you need to provide proof to back them up. Next, you still would need to argue why we should care even if we are the worst state. Perhaps in the middle of it all, you could argue why we should look at it in such a negative light instead of sticking with positive reinforcement. Finally, you could propose a solution to our state's problem.

You say it's obvious that our state is in this weak position. Not to be difficult or to just argue, but I say it's not obvious. If it is so obvious to you, then proof should not be very hard to come by.
I could seriously quote these mother****ers individually and yell, "OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH" like I'm in 6th grade or something.

I think I'm going to say that the best one is "Next, you still would need to argue why we should care even if we are the worst state." because Slam is under some delusion that we aren't -rapidly improving-.

Didn't Spade go from some no name to 5th on the PR in no time at all?
Pops is getting pretty good too. JMIX is great, I've heard.

Our scene is so tight knit and close that we should all just try and help each other out instead of constantly being douchebags to each other. Just like Cam said, positive reinforcement and constructive criticism are some of the best tools for helping someone improve.
So let's just pretend like we love each other and play some damn Brawl. -.-

PrinceAlias

Smash Journeyman
Who cares about who is better than who, we should be trying to work together as a community to better our own play. All of this pointing fingers and downright demeaning is getting us nowhere. We all make stupid mistakes that's from pro's to scrubs. ARE WE DOING ANYTHING TO FIX IT. That should be our focus. I've spent countless hours listening to Esam talk about other "pro" players and every time he says they could improve some aspect of their game.

Also our mindset as a whole needs to improve. I'm tired of hearing the tired excuse of, "Oh ~insert good players name here~ is better than me so that's why I lost." Well tough nuts get better and do without bringing the rest of the community down with your bickering and nay say. I spent an entire weekend playing against Reflex and for the first couple of days he 3 stocked me every time I played him. By the end of the weekend he was still beating me but it wasn't with 3 stocks. And that's because I listened to what he told me I was doing wrong and tried to adapt to his play style. That's what improving is, it does not matter how fast you improve, just that you see in yourself that you are getting better.

On top of all of that between B'ham, Auburn, Tuscaloosa, and Mobile we all have 1 power ranked person and people who can learn from them. You can't complain about Georgia being better because they all live relatively close, cause we have the same thing in Alabama. Also Georgia smashers rarely play each other when not in tournament the only exception is probably 4God and Michael who live together.

tldr; stop making excuses, stop downing others, get better

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
i think this concept of 'we don't suck' is something unique to brawl players, and its a counter-productive mentality that will inhibit your progress. but whevs

NinjaFoxX

Banned via Warnings
how about we just play more and stop saying we suck?

idk i like playing people better than me thats how i get better and stop making derp mistakes.

im free tuesday lets make that a good day to play.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Who cares about who is better than who, we should be trying to work together as a community to better our own play. All of this pointing fingers and downright demeaning is getting us nowhere. We all make stupid mistakes that's from pro's to scrubs. ARE WE DOING ANYTHING TO FIX IT. That should be our focus. I've spent countless hours listening to Esam talk about other "pro" players and every time he says they could improve some aspect of their game.

Also our mindset as a whole needs to improve. I'm tired of hearing the tired excuse of, "Oh ~insert good players name here~ is better than me so that's why I lost." Well tough nuts get better and do without bringing the rest of the community down with your bickering and nay say. I spent an entire weekend playing against Reflex and for the first couple of days he 3 stocked me every time I played him. By the end of the weekend he was still beating me but it wasn't with 3 stocks. And that's because I listened to what he told me I was doing wrong and tried to adapt to his play style. That's what improving is, it does not matter how fast you improve, just that you see in yourself that you are getting better.

On top of all of that between B'ham, Auburn, Tuscaloosa, and Mobile we all have 1 power ranked person and people who can learn from them. You can't complain about Georgia being better because they all live relatively close, cause we have the same thing in Alabama. Also Georgia smashers rarely play each other when not in tournament the only exception is probably 4God and Michael who live together.

tldr; stop making excuses, stop downing others, get better
I feel like Levi didn't even read my posts because his post contains huge blanket statements that don't really concern anything I've talked about.

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
I think the cycle of this thread is like

We're Bad/No you're bad/Why don't we just practice/Random arguement>Repeat

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
ive been playing SFxTekken non-stop the past two days. its been my favorite 2d fighter to come out so far.

also, i meant proffesional as in skill level, not as in how we run our tournaments. i know we have a great system of running tournaments and a great thing with ASL.

also im not gonna do some bull**** research and inform you of things idk how to prove it i guess we could travel to a national and see how we do?? you guys are so damn literal, cam, you just proved my entire post asking for all this ****. why dont YOU look it up since thats what you wanna do.

i say the earth is round and you want me to provide and article for it which i could do but im not going to because im not going to support ******* research and debate when there is no reason for it. is that really what you need in your life?
do you need someone to hold your hand and spout out every definition of every word they say cuz you have such a baby ******* mind that you cant understand it otherwise?
we are improving within alabama. there you go you guys have go that.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
cam can you admit that you are ignorant about other smash communities other than our own and the ones we are exposed to?
im too lazy to post everything about everyone else in the world, but i would say do some research on their top players, their community (perhaps by lurking thier socials threads idk) and maybe play some of the better people from different areas over wifi. i know it lags but you will still be able to at least see a small speck of their skill.

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
Sup dudes. I haven't been here as of late. (Busy)
Since i'm starting to have sum free time, i'd like to show up at some smashfests until the tourney starts in may.
The tournament in huntsville of course, it'll also be nice to play some of the top players here in AL like reflex.

*Cam*

Smash Lord
I think it's hard to compare ourselves to people that we never play against. I don't read the social threads of other regions; my main contact with other areas is by observing what their T.O.s do or suggest in the tournament organizers forum. I'll keep up with GA, TN, and NC to some extent by checking out their PRs and occasionally their social threads. I don't have extensive knowledge of every region, and I don't claim to. Regardless, I am completely open to learning about what other regions have to offer.

However, you made a bold assertion that we are one of the worst-skilled states in the country, and you expect us to believe that just because you said so? Then, you try to use this assertion to bolster some sort of negativity tirade, claiming that AL players suck at Brawl and should feel crummy about it. I'm not going to support that just because you try to intimidate your way into being right. If you want people to take something you say seriously, you should support it with facts or at least solid logic. You can't just assert that it's obvious and that people who don't agree with you are unintelligent.

Frankly, I am always going to push back against people who would make our players feel bad about themselves just because they aren't Reflex. We will always try to get better; no one is disputing that we shouldn't learn as much as we can. However, I would like to believe worth in this community is measured by much more than skill, and I don't think we should even imply otherwise.

I mean, Blue has been invaluable behind the scenes. He runs the website now, and not a day goes by that I don't ask him to update something else like the bios, tournament results, the homepage, or the events page. Pops has put in a lot of work researching and explaining Swiss style seeding, and I think we are going to try it at a tournament soon because of his efforts. TY has put in a lot of time uploading videos of tournament matches for us. I don't want to become the kind of community that tells TY, Pops, or Blue that they suck because they can't compete on Reflex or Elev8's level. I don't mean this as a red herring but rather to make a point: this brand of negativity you are proposing would be off-putting to a lot of people. We may lose resourceful, motivated, intelligent, fun players because they don't like being put down all the time; I know I wouldn't like it.

@Coolwhip: The Huntsville tournament had to be moved to June 9 fyi. Here's a link to the events calendar: http://alabamasmashleague.com/ASL Events.html

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I am certainly a paragon of excellence, but, a a majority of our regulars have plenty of potential and are generally likable people. I quite enjoy the company of those we see at our tournaments.

Also, GA is decidedly above-average in general skill level as far as the US goes, IMO. They've really come into their own.

B_AWAL

Smash Master
Hey guys... so the last week in june Vinnie is coming 2 Tally & Esam will b back in SFL.

I was wondering if you all would be interested in coming 2 a tourney in tally that weekend.

If you guys all come then it'll b stacked w/ FL AL & I'm bout 2 ask GA. Then I'm certain we can make the tourney a qualifier 4 w/e big tourney is this summer after that.

Also if u guys r comin I can get sponsors from Jimmy Johns n Wing Zone

:sonic:

:phone:

TheSaintKai

Smash Ace
Hey guys... so the last week in june Vinnie is coming 2 Tally & Esam will b back in SFL.

I was wondering if you all would be interested in coming 2 a tourney in tally that weekend.

If you guys all come then it'll b stacked w/ FL AL & I'm bout 2 ask GA. Then I'm certain we can make the tourney a qualifier 4 w/e big tourney is this summer after that.

Also if u guys r comin I can get sponsors from Jimmy Johns n Wing Zone

:sonic:

:phone:
Why

in June.
When I can't miss any work. ):

popsofctown

Smash Champion
Sup dudes. I haven't been here as of late. (Busy)
Since i'm starting to have sum free time, i'd like to show up at some smashfests until the tourney starts in may.
Ok... but for the third time, it's difficult to invite you without some contact info.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
im not proposing that we all live by negativity that is another ******* assumption of yours bc you have no idea how the world works and why people say what they say probably due to typically nerdy being over sheltered or something, cam.
also cam if you dont think we are one of the worse off states in measurment of skill level in the US then go tell every state to take a poll of who the top, the mediocre, and the below average states are. i guarenttee alabama will come up as either a below average state, or a "wtf is alabama oh yeah reflex lives there."
who cares what other people think anyways? well, they are people in the same community as us that tend to be very knowledgable about the community and whee everything stands, even moreso than most people in our state. the people in other states are probably like this bc they play more and get more invovled and interested with the nationwide community whereas we like to shut our doors and go "GUYS I NEED TO BE ON TE PR cuz i wennttt 3-2 in my pool matchezz"

everybody play SFxTekken.

also lol@ invaluabilty = suggesting we do swiss pools at some tournaments and tryping in something on the keyboard.

oh, personally im kind of fond of some smashers that suck so i see where you guys are getting off at (aka kevin ;p)

Top Bottom